Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under the microscope: What does Kidd want or expect from his starting Center?
So far I am not sure I can tell you the answer to this question, so I was hoping someone else can. We have started DP and WCS so far this year and both have entirely different skillsets. 

Powell is a great finisher around the rim but bad at everything else. WCS is average to below average at everything which in contrast makes him even more of a head scratcher as a starter than Powell as he does nothing of value other than create turnovers off deflections.  

Neither guy can rebound at a high clip and both seem pretty bad at post defense. 

With Rick Carlisle, I knew he wanted his center to rim run and set screens but with Kidd I cannot seem to figure out what he wants our center to be or do. My guess is defense and rebounding but neither WCS or DP offers above average ability in that area.
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 03:52 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: So far I am not sure I can tell you the answer to this question, so I was hoping someone else can. We have started DP and WCS so far this year and both have entirely different skillsets. 

Powell is a great finisher around the rim but bad at everything else. WCS is average to below average at everything which in contrast makes him even more of a head scratcher as a starter than Powell as he does nothing of value other than create turnovers off deflections.  

Neither guy can rebound at a high clip and both seem pretty bad at post defense. 

With Rick Carlisle, I knew he wanted his center to rim run and set screens but with Kidd I cannot seem to figure out what he wants our center to be or do. My guess is defense and rebounding but neither WCS or DP offers above average ability in that area.

This is not really an answer to your question, but I did see a media report from today's practice. Kidd reportedly said that Willie will continue to start for now, but soon Maxi will be given a look, once he recovers his stamina.
Like Reply
Seems to me that what Kidd expects from his starting center is that KP has the security blanket of not being the center and the psychological (as much as the physical) pressure of having to guard the other team's big man. Tough spot for the Mavs - KP is clearly better without that guy next to him, as the sole big, but he likely gets quite angry at the coaching staff if they go that way. 

Again raises the perennial question of, why didn't they go get Holmes? He doesn't solve the issue of KP being most effective as the only big (or perhaps with Maxi), but he would have solved this temporary dilemma at least - and been an excellent big to retain if they decided to trade KP. 

The Spurs famously wanted a shot at KP in '18. Have to hope they still like him. KP and JB for Murray/Vassell/Poeltl. Might have to include a first, but that gives you the beginnings of a real core to work with.
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 06:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: KP and JB for Murray/Vassell/Poeltl

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
A question better asked when we have a starting center on the roster.
Like Reply
Look here's the point.

We don't have one.  Maxi is the closest thing to it, but we've all seen what happens when we put Maxi up at 30-35 minutes...he breaks down.  He's great, but we need him at 20-23 minutes.

We need KP fresh for the playoffs, not beat on for 82 games, so we don't need to run him at the 5 for 35 minutes a night...he needs to be ready to run 5 to close quarters and the end of the game.

WE need a 5.  They knew it, and that's why they signed 85,000 centers, but unfortunately, none of those guys can get us 20-25 minutes a night decently.  For Pete's sake, Dwight and WCS can't even give us 10 minutes each that are positive...good grief.

What do we expect Kidd to do?  Transplant his head on their body and make them play right?

Moses Brown isn't going to save anyone.  If you think Willie doesn't know where he's supposed to be, he looks like Draymond Green next to Moses.  

We need a trade BAD.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 06:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: KP and JB for Murray/Vassell/Poeltl

[Image: giphy.gif]
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply