Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 114, WIZARDS 120
MAVS SURRENDER TO WIZARDS IN THE CLUTCH

The Mavericks returned from their four-game road trip to face the Wiz at the AAC. The Wizards came in tied for fourth in the east, at 12-7. It was a stirring contest, but the Mavs gave up the ghost in the last few minutes. 

GAME NOTES

The Wizards were on the second night of a back-to-back, while the Mavs had been resting since Wednesday night. Brunson (foot) was out after his injury in the last game, but was able to practice in the interim. The French Prince (calf) remained on the injured list. Reggie Bullock returned to action after a brief illness. Kidd went with the “new” starting lineup — Luka-THJ-DFS-KP-Willie. 

FIRST QUARTER

Willie is first on the board with a put back. Followed by a Luka drive and score. Luka again! A third Luka drive results in free throws. An attacking demon!  However, he misses both FTA. KP fights to the basket and draws a shooting foul. Mavs are very much operating in the paint so far. The Wiz have the same idea. DFS with a nifty transition move. Luka called for a foul, jawing at the refs. KCP is teed up. KP misses the technical free throw, to the vocal disappointment of the crowd. Gafford with a slam over Willie. Now Willie is called for an offensive foul, for a moving screen. That is his second foul. Powell comes in for him. Wow, Luka with a three-pointer over Gafford! Luka-THJ connection results in a basket. Out of 23 combined FGA for the two teams, only 4 have been threes, and each team completed one. Very unusual.  15-19 6:34

KP draws more free throws. Has been very good at drawing fouls this season. Luka ties the game with another dance to the cup. Maxi tries to draw a charge on Beal, gets called for a blocking foul. Kidd challenges, to the delight of the arena. 19-21 5:20

Challenge unsuccessful. Both of these teams getting to the basket like there’s no tomorrow. Kleber has a basket after an OR, after missing a three. Bullock misses a three, but Powell draws a shooting foul on the OR. Two for two. Luka hits from Mexico! Bullock misses an open three from Luka. Bullock misses a corner three. With KP off the floor, Reggie takes the free throw when Washington gets a defensive three-second call. Luka-Maxi alley oop. Maxi with a scoop to the hoop. Wow. Unusual move from #42! KP goes to work in the post! Oh man, Kuzma with a straight-line drive to the basket for an and-one. Burke too small to stop him. 

36-41 after one

Very high-scoring quarter here. With so many attempts in the paint, shooting percentages are really high (Wiz 70, Mavs 59). Luka leads Dallas with 15 points. Beal has 13 for DC.

SECOND QUARTER

Looks like Luka has picked up a knock to his knee. Getting a little treatment on the bench. Burke running the second unit. Trey stops and pops. Hardaway steal results in a Burke pull-up. Kleber from downtown! But Wiz making mincemeat of our paint defenders. Maxi puts back a Burke miss. Maxi with an 11-point burst! 45-47 8:59

Porzingis over the Wiz interior defenders, ties the game. KP draws a couple of non-shooting fouls, looking very good. Sterling with a mid-range J, gives the lead back to Dallas. Burke from way out, off a KP pass. Burke-Kleber lob-dunk. KP blocks a shot. Harrell leaks out and has an uncontested bucket. Burke with another jumper. Bench looking good here. Willie with a soaring dunk from Luka. 58-51 4:53

Tim fouls Beal on a 3PTA. Luka over Avdija. DFS three from KP, who stole the rock from a guard! THJ for a slam! Gafford dunk over three Mavs. KP responds with a bucket from Luka. KP gets away a jumper to end the half. 

69-61 HT

Mavs win the second quarter, 33-20. Dameris credits the Dallas bench for demolishing the Wizards second unit, 18-2. The Mavs bench, which has looked excellent, even outscored the Dallas starters 18-15, for a different look. Burke and Maxi combined for 16. 

For the half overall, both teams shooting over 50%. The game has been fast-moving and has featured 6 lead changes. Wiz have lost 10 points to turnovers. Luka leads the Mavs with 17 points, Maxi and KP follow with 13 and 12. Beal has 17 for the opponent. 

THIRD QUARTER

Luka-Willie alley oop blocked. Luka being knocked around, draws free throws. Completes both. Willie challenges a  at the basket — that seems like a fine idea. Hardaway with a baseline drive is knocked to the floor, clutching his head after taking an elbow. Oof, msses both freebies. DFS from the sideline! Beal with an unforced turnover out of bounds. Luka lobs to Willie, who drops the ball and loses it out of bounds. Aargh. Kidd takes him out of the game. Dallas continues to offer virtually zero resistance at the rim. 76-74 6:54

Kuzma takes the lead back with a three. Powell responds with two free throws. Bullock finally hits a three off an extra pass. 81-80 5:08

Open three in the corner by Neto. Luka with his second pass out of bounds. Luka with a bank shot over Kuzma. Mavs force a shot-clock violation. Luka ties the game with a little jumper in the post. Sterling wide open three takes back the lead. Wiz are scoring in the paint possession after possession. Bullock with a corner three from KP! 

93-91 after three

It’s anybody’s game now. 

FOURTH QUARTER

Spectacular block by Maxi, followed by spectacular three by Trey! WOW! Harrell hits a desperation three — his second of the season. Burke free throws take Trey to a season high in scoring.  Wiz have taken the lead here. 99-101 8:18

THJ knocked to the floor by Beal again. That’s the fourth on Beal, and a hard fall for Tim. Sterling three sends the crowd into raptures. Luka on the sideline arguing with the ref. THJ with a transition three from Luka draws an ovation. 105-104 4:57

Kuzma too-easy layup over Maxi. Reggie misses a corner three. Gafford dunk over KP. Luka takes advantage of single coverage. Neto turns the ball over. Luka three is short. Luka called for his fourth foul. He and the crowd are furious. Luka with a drive to the hoop ties the game. Kuzma three coming off an offensive rebound. Yikes.  109-112 1:33

Luka pulls up for a three, misses. Gafford dunk off a missed three. THJ from the side! KCP pulls up and hits. Dang. 112-116 29 seconds 

Luka works inside and hits. Mavs intentionally foul KCP. He completes both FTA. Luka misses a three. Review determines that KP fouled Kuzma with .7 seconds left on the clock. Kuzma ends the game, hittng both attempts. 

114-120 FT

Heck

ANALYSIS

Dallas had a poor fourth quarter, scoring only 21 points and shooting only 30%. The Wiz, on the other hand, had 29 points on 62% shooting, and out-rebounded our team 15-7. Mavs couldn’t get stops down the stretch, gave up offensive rebounds, and couldn’t score. Kuzma turned it on with 10 points in the fourth. Wiz shot 67% on two-point shots. There's your ball game. 

From the standpoint of the contest overall, the Mavs put up 11 more shots than the Wiz, including 14 more 3PTA, but didn’t shoot well enough to take advantage (47%, compared to 58% from Washington). Maverick point differentials were -16 on points from twos, +15 on points from threes, and -5 on made free throws. Dallas allowed Washington an appalling 60 points in the paint.

The Mavs were out-rebounded 43-35, out-assisted 28-23, and gave up 16 points off turnovers. 

The bench contributed tonight, with 42 points and season scoring highs from Maxi, Burke, and Sterling. Their run at the end of the first half gave Dallas their biggest lead. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to sustain that performance through the second half.

PLAYER NOTES

DONCIC (37 MIN).  Luka led all scorers with 33 points (13-25), and also boasted 10 dimes. He looked closer to his superstar self tonight, particularly in the first half. Posting up a lot more, and driving to the hole more often against a team with little rim protection. Despite the loss, I liked what I saw from him.  

PORZINGIS (36). KP looked very good in some aspects of his game, but faded in the second half, scoring only one point on 0-6 shooting in the last 24. Overall, he ended his 7-game stretch with at least 20 points, putting up 13 points on 4-12 shooting. He did draw a team-high 6 free throws, making five. He also had 7 rebounds and 3 steals. Defensively, he was part of our big-man welcoming crew, showing the Wiz their way to the basket. SMH.  

HARDAWAY (36). Tim had another rough shooting night, accumulating 10 points on 4-12 shooting. Some of the shots he made were dramatic, but he missed some very good looks. I hope he gets out of this slump soon. 

KLEBER (30). Maxi had a good scoring stretch, and recorded 13 points (6-9) and 6 boards. The Burke-Kleber connection was working fine. That breathtaking sequence with the Maxi block and the Burke three was named the What-a-Burger play of the day. 

DFS (29). Dorian got a relative breather of a game after his 49-minute stint in LA. He had 8 points (3-5) and 4 boards, and was moderately effective in limiting Beal.  

BULLOCK (28). Reggie hit a couple of dramatic threes, but overall, had only 7 points on 2-7 shooting. We're only 18 games in, but I am already starting to fear that this guy will be the next Josh Richardson. Prove me wrong, Reggie! 

MENTIONS. The Bally studio crew thought that STERLING (13) may have had his breakout game of the season with 8 points, including two threes and 5 boards. Hope so. BURKE (11) bravely stepped up in the absence of his fellow backup point guards, recording season highs in both points (14) and assists (4) in 11 minutes. He was 5-7 from the floor. Kudos, young man! WILLIE started the game, but played only 10 minutes, registering 4 points (2-6), 3 boards, 2 blocks and 2 turnovers. POWELL had 4 points in 10 minutes. 

BOBAN, MOSES, and GREEN were DNP-CDs. 

WIZARDS. Bradley Beal led his team with 26 points (10-14) and 7 assists. That was said not to be an especially outstanding night by his standards. Kuzma came on strong in the fourth quarter, and gave his squad 22 points and 9 boards. KCP had 16 points and 6 rebounds. Daniel Gafford did the Wiz proud with 14 points and 10 boards on 6-9 shooting. The Bally crew considered him the unsung hero for the Wiz. Neto (13) and Harrell (11) were also in double figures. 

OBSERVATIONS

Kidd appeared disappointed. Said the Mavs started sluggishly and didn’t put up much defensive resistance, but then neither did the Wiz. So the game turned into a shoot-out. And in that type of game, you have to make shots, and we didn’t, and they did. 

A reporter asked if pulling Willie after ten minutes indicated anything for the starting lineup going forward. Kidd said no, they will continue to look at starting lineups, but observed that he doesn't know why people are so obsessed with starting lineups. Said starting doesn't indicate anything in particular, is not any special honor, and that he doesn’t hand out stickers for being in the starting unit. Okay, then. 

The Bally studio guys said the loss came down to the Mavs not being able to execute down the stretch. Said that Kidd blamed it on their failure to score, but the crew thought it also had something to do with not defending or rebounding either. Ouch!

This game was pretty entertaining, with lots of offense, 21 lead changes, and a clutch situation at the end. I was disappointed in the final result, as I thought the Mavs had it in them to come out of it with a win. My overall takeaway from the game was just how extreme our lack of rim protection is, with the Wiz getting layups and dunks over and over and over. We’re not going anywhere if we can’t do any better than this. 

Well. So much for that. 

NEXT. The Mavs face Cleveland on Monday at the AAC. Hope they can get it together. 
[-] The following 5 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • Dahlsim, Hypermav, ItsGoTime, LukTheShadow, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
This guy was sorely missed in the 4th. Until THJ get out his slump ...

Best Self-Created eFG% This Season Min. 150 Self-created and Min. 100 Self-created FGA.
League average eFG% on self-created attempts is 46.9 %.

Min 150 Possessions eFG%

Curry 56.4
Durant 55.8
Brunson 55.1
Maxey 53.6
Morant 52.6
CP3 52.6
D. Mitchell 52.5
Like Reply
The Mavs couldn’t have played the game under more favorable circumstances and still lost.  The Wiz would beat this team nearly every time. They rally fleeced the Lakers and are just a far better team now, so give credit to them for some clever off-season moves.

I also thought the Mavs coaching was particularly poor. Why burn your challenge in the first quarter on a call that didn’t seem particularly important or even close for that matter (it was a clear cut block)?  How did the Mavs end up with no timeouts in crunch time?  On the last possession down by two with about 24 seconds left, why not  foul the 62% ft shooter when they had the opportunity early in the possession instead of waiting until late in the possession to foul an 87% shooter, especially when you’ve wasted your timeouts already. And, there’s a lot more on that front as the Mavs were caught in bad matchups all night. I don’t get the tactics, but it was some low BB IQ excrement, that’s for sure.
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 08:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I also thought the Mavs coaching was particularly poor. Why burn your challenge in the first quarter on a call that didn’t seem particularly important or even close for that matter (it was a clear cut block)?  How did the Mavs end up with no timeouts in crunch time?  On the last possession down by two with about 24 seconds left, why not  foul the 62% ft shooter when they had the opportunity early in the possession instead of waiting until late in the possession to foul an 87% shooter, especially when you’ve wasted your timeouts already. And, there’s a lot more on that front as the Mavs were caught in bad matchups all night. I don’t get the tactics, but it was some low BB IQ excrement, that’s for sure.
Jason Kidd addressed this situation in his TV post-game interview. Said his players were trying to get a steal, and they came very close to that twice, so he was okay with that decision, even though it didn't work out. 

However, Skin revealed that, if you were actually at the game, you could see Kidd trying to get his players to foul the whole time. 

Sounds like Kidd may have publicly made an excuse for his players' lack of clock awareness in that particular case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
TNX ML.

Game was lost on pure and non consistent mavs D. With this year pure O eff rating mavs just can not allow Opp a lot more than 100pts/per game. 

(11-28-2021, 12:40 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: A reporter asked if pulling Willie after ten minutes indicated anything for the starting lineup going forward. Kidd said no, they will continue to look at starting lineups, but observed that he doesn't know why people are so obsessed with starting lineups. Said starting doesn't indicate anything in particular, is not any special honor, and that he doesn’t hand out stickers for being in the starting unit. Okay, then. 

I could not believe I heard that. From the NBA coach. Outrageous. If said sincere.

If yes, it's only logical step to move on as mavs per BB skills+consistency attribute own only mybe 1,5 "NBA level starter player".
Like Reply
Tale of two halves for KP.  Even though he didn't get many shots or touches in either half.  In the first half, he looked like the KP we have been seeing.  He was very quiet in the second half.   

Kleber was excellent in the first half.  This team is really missing that piece to mix and match with Kleber and KP.  It is a tough guy to find, but it would really make things run if they found him.    Then you can get a minimum type guy to fill in center minutes as your fourth big.  I think this player is our biggest need.  I think we can't expect Maxi to score every game.  He is a really good specialty player who should close a lot of games, but we need one more guy.  

A wing creator would work well too so we aren't filled with guys who can only shoot when people generate them shots.

I think Hardaway and Luka's defense have been pretty bad this year.   Luka is a little injured and it is not fair to expect him to put a lot of energy in defense in the regular season, but I have seen some sloppy plays from him on defense which is a little confusing.   I also am not a fan of the no pass three point possessions...even if they go in.    Although maybe I am just more traditional in my style.  All in all, I liked his game for the most part.  

Burke was good again.   Dallas has gotten solid play from their fringe guards.   Sure, Dragic would help (at least the version of Dragic we saw in Miami...is he still that?), but with Brunson healthy Dallas has been able to fill in the gaps with guard play.   

I agree on Gafford.  Every time I have seen him play he pops off the screen.    As good as the Bulls front office has been lately, that was a miss.    Nice find by Washington.  It will be interesting when impending free agent Thomas Bryant returns from injury.   Do they wind up keeping him or Harrell?  Although I am sure they will look to combine a few guys to get one better player.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, omahen
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 09:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: defense

I think no one really played good D last night. Look at Neto baskets. 

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com

- drive by Luka
- Kuzma drives by Maxi as if he is not there and Neto wide open for three as defense collapses
- another total confusion on defense leaving Neto wide open for three
- drive by Bullock
- drive by Brown

KP had huge problems with Kuzma which makes decision to (again) play a traditional center next to him even stranger. Its not like Gafford is some skilled center who would post up players and back them down. His only threat is PnR and offensive rebounds. So instead of resting KP on Gafford he had to run after Kuzma most of the time. Kleber had two huge blunders on Kuzma in the fourth.

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 10:13 AM)omahen Wrote: I think no one really played good D last night. Look at Neto baskets.
Effort/motivation problem? The Wizards on a 2nd night of a b2b won the hustle battle, rebounding battle. And looked like the team that want the W more.

The very same Mavs team held the Clippers scoreless for 5-6 minutes in a row.
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 09:43 AM)LukTheShadow Wrote: [Kidd] Said starting doesn't indicate anything in particular, is not any special honor, and that he doesn’t hand out stickers for being in the starting unit. 

I could not believe I heard that. From the NBA coach. Outrageous. If said sincere.

If yes, it's only logical step to move on as mavs per BB skills+consistency attribute own only mybe 1,5 "NBA level starter player".

Actually, I agreed with Kidd on this point. It bemuses me when people get all bent out of shape because Powell is in the starting lineup, or Willie, or because Brunson is not included, etc. As if points scored as a starter count for more than points scored off the bench, or something. (An argument that guys like Powell and Willie shouldn't get any minutes at all would at least make logical sense, if the team had a decent alternative, but saying some kind of problem would be solved if only their minutes occurred at some different time in the game is head-scratching.)   

The closing lineup is intrinsically important in competitive games. And it matters how many minutes a guy is on the floor, and with/against whom. However, whether he is on the floor at the start of the game doesn't necessarily mean anything in particular.  Willie and Powell are already being played like reserves (low minutes, not on the floor at the end), Brunson is already being played like a sixth man, and I wonder if the people howling in the wilderness over their starter/non-starter status even realize that.  

This setup is the whole concept behind the strategy of teams that use a sixth man. That guy is one of the best five players, plays starter minutes, and is on the floor at the end of the game, but someone else is on the court to begin the contest. Think DeShawn Stevenson and Jason Terry. That worked out pretty well, iirc. 

Luk, none of this is intended as any sort of personal statement having to do with you. It's just something that I have wondered about for a long time, and continue to puzzle over.
[-] The following 3 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, DanSchwartzgan, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 09:43 AM)LukTheShadow Wrote: Game was lost on pure and non consistent mavs D.

Our man Iztok at MMB and D Magazine had a few takes in this regard --

Game lost on D. Disappointing for a team that talks so much about defensive identity. Many bad rotations begin with Luka's bad D. Luka was not 100% from a mobility standpoint and was still carrying much of the offensive load. His teammates couldn't contain drives and were outworked on the glass and in transition. 

The Mavs' new defense requires more weak side rotations and closeouts. It has been inconsistent all season, and Iztok fears that the players (and in particular the starters) are not optimal for the system. 

Iztok Franko on Twitter
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
In the weird stats category --

https://twitter.com/mjk2341/status/14649...54597?s=20
[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, omahen
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 11:15 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Our man Iztok at MMB and D Magazine had a few takes in this regard --

Game lost on D.

While D was bad I think Mavs could still win this game if not for a offensive blackout in the second half. They scored 69 points in the first half and only 45 in the second one, starting with (imo) momentum killing WCS/Powell minutes. Luka was 6-13 (46 %) in second half. Rest of team was 8-28 (28 %!!!). Situation was even worse in 4th quarter. Luka 3-7 (43 %), rest of team 4-16 (25 %).
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 01:27 PM)omahen Wrote: While D was bad I think Mavs could still win this game if not for a offensive blackout in the second half. They scored 69 points in the first half and only 45 in the second one, starting with (imo) momentum killing WCS/Powell minutes. Luka was 6-13 (46 %) in second half. Rest of team was 8-28 (28 %!!!). Situation was even worse in 4th quarter. Luka 3-7 (43 %), rest of team 4-16 (25 %).

I wouldn't argue the point. The second half was just a bewilderingly bad performance on both ends.
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 11:15 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Many bad rotations begin with Luka's bad D.

Yep, one of the storylines of the season. Luka has been killing the team D.
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 12:40 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Said starting doesn't indicate anything in particular, is not any special honor, and that he doesn’t hand out stickers for being in the starting unit.
THJ said he wanted to start this offseason so it’s not an obsession of fans and media either. I wonder if playing with the starters is only a center thing, maybe like replace THJ with JB, or DFS and a C with Maxi and Bullock, you know, since it doesn’t matter and all. Starters don’t matter, but getting good starts to games? How about that?
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 06:14 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: THJ said he wanted to start this offseason so it’s not an obsession of fans and media either. I wonder if playing with the starters is only a center thing, maybe like replace THJ with JB, or DFS and a C with Maxi and Bullock, you know, since it doesn’t matter and all. Starters don’t matter, but getting good starts to games? How about that?

I think the issue might be that, when we consider the term "starters," we are often thinking about the five players who play the most minutes and are most likely to close. 

Whereas, the term "starter" really refers to the five guys who are on the floor on the first possession, regardless of minutes/role. 

Many teams do start the five guys who play the most minutes and are most likely to close. But others don't, for various reasons that make sense to them. 

So, when someone says, for example, "get Powell out of the starting lineup," I am not sure if they mean (1) play Powell low minutes and don't use him at the end, or (2) don't have Powell on the floor on the first possession but it's okay to use him in his usual role on the second possession and at any other time in the game. 

If they mean (1), then that's already been done -- he's down to playing ten minutes. If they mean (2), then I don't get how that's any kind of solution.
[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
What? The starting lineup is incredibly important.

Getting yourself off to a quick start and getting an early lead increases your margin of error later in the game. It's easier to maintain momentum than have to constantly dig yourself out of an early hole. Having one guy drag the whole lineup down like WCS or Powell just increases the burden on the other 4 players to start games. It affects rotations too. Not to mention, for players, being a starter absolutely is a status thing and thus important from a locker room chemistry standpoint. 

I think trying to reduce the argument down to well what matters is the score at the end of the game not the beginning of the game is simplifying things a little too much and ignores all the ways the starting lineup affects the whole team.
[-] The following 2 users Like sterlingmallory's post:
  • ItsGoTime, omahen
Like Reply
(11-28-2021, 08:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Mavs couldn’t have played the game under more favorable circumstances and still lost.

Can't say I agree given we were missing JB and Frank.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply