Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.5 pt RAPTOR & 2.5 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
54.55%
6 54.55%
Clippers
45.45%
5 45.45%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 17: DAL (10-7) @ LAC (10-8) | 112-104 win
KP is legit happy in his interview after the game. Smiling, waving, and heaping praise on Luka. I haven't seen him emote like that in a while. He really looks like a new player both on and off the court.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • Hypermav, Kammrath, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 01:26 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Wow KP played like a true #1 option tonight. That might have been his best game as a Maverick.

BEST game. Beats all the bubble stuff. This is the player I thought the Mavs were getting a couple years ago.
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 01:26 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah man, he was good tonight.

Powell is a bad fit for KP and Dorian.

Last year KP/Powell started five games together and four were tanking games by Minnesota, New Orleans, Detroit and Toronto, the other was against the big Lakers line-up.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/lolwtferic/status/14...5675194368
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Hypermav, Tyler
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...9378360325
Like Reply
Happy there was less DP but WCS is not the answer imo.  I think the end of the game group should start.  KP, Maxi, Luka, Tim and DFS.  

If Brunson was healthy, I wonder if Tim would have been in the game at the end and overtime.
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 01:59 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Happy there was less DP but WCS is not the answer imo.  I think the end of the game group should start.  KP, Maxi, Luka, Tim and DFS.  

That's clearly their best lineup (still) imo, but that's a lineup in which KP plays the 5 and they seem pretty serious about not wanting to start games like that. Hey, as long as they CLOSE games like that, I'm cool with it.
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 02:04 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's clearly their best lineup (still) imo, but that's a lineup in which KP plays the 5 and they seem pretty serious about not wanting to start games like that. Hey, as long as they CLOSE games like that, I'm cool with it.

Why would it be different with Maxi than with Powell defensively?  I'm not sure Powell does any better "protecting" KP than Maxi does.
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 02:20 AM)mvossman Wrote: Why would it be different with Maxi than with Powell defensively?  I'm not sure Powell does any better "protecting" KP than Maxi does.

Idk, man. Just my guess as to why they're possibly not going that way. 

You know what I'd do!

We know it's not that they disagree that KP/Kleber is the best option, because that's how they closed regulation and played all of overtime, I think, right? 

I think it must have something to do with who they consider a 5 and who they consider a 4.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
Glad for the win but that was some ugly game to watch. Mavs have two problems imho. Playing any of the centers (WCS and Powell) just doesn't work, because they suck. Combined they managed a 1-4 FG, 0-2 FT, 3 RBD, 1 AS, 1 STL with teams basically neglecting them on defense. Spacing is awful whenever they are on the court. Ugly, ugly performance and I really hope WCS doesn't see the floor again. I have no idea why Mavs thought he is worth more than vet min. Instead of 15 mil the role that they perform should be paid 2 vet min deals. This is 12 mil of salary Mavs are just throwing away. They might work in a different situation, but I think it will never work in a system with Luka and KP. The only thing that makes sense is run Luka-KP PnR all the time. 

The other thing of course is the non existing shooting. Clippers were doubling Luka whole game and he was giving the ball to the team all the time. Either to open center at the free throw line which mostly ended badly or for mostly wide open shots that didn't go in.

Whoever thinks this team has a Luka problem...
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, burekemde
Like Reply
Totally agree Omahen. Playing WCS to be that outlet for Luka double, is one of the worst coaching ideas, I have yet to see. WCS doesnt have the shooting and passing skills to take advantage of that. Not only that, but I have probably never seen an NBA player worse at finishing around the rim, layups and close shots, than WCS. He made one good layup this last game, but if that space and position was given to a proper center that can shoot and finish at the rim, the Clippers would quickly stop doubling Luka.

The only thing WCS could be effective at is as a roll man and dunking. But even that hasnt worked well so far.

The thing is that this team still hasnt found a way to deal with Luka doubles. Most naturally, the ball should go to a tall player at the free throw line, that knows how to shoot it but also pass out or dribble for an easy score with that space available. For Kidd, it is actually not that easy, that has to be said as well, as the team doesnt possess that player maybe. But surely, almost everyone else, is a better double outlet option, than WCS! KP would have picked them apart in those situations in my view, he can do many of those things and shoot it oper from the free throw line and/or penetrate to the basket for an easy score if the defenses collapses trying to contain the free throw distance shot.

Actually, the more i think of it, Boban would be a great outlet as it would be an easy score in my view. But there are other disadvantages that hold him off the lineups. In my view KP needs to be that outlet  in case of doubles.
[-] The following 2 users Like burekemde's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, omahen
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 04:58 AM)burekemde Wrote: In my view KP needs to be that outlet  in case of doubles.

Totally agree. Imo: Powell and WCS might work in some other systems, but in a situation where you have a PnR maestro Luka and KP that wants to be involved, the only solution for that is to put them in PnR together. Anything else will result in a subpar performance from one of them. So, if you want to play another center, he has to be able to spread the floor. Maxi is one, but he can't play 48 minutes, so you need another one. Or play small. It actually worked well in the second half until the meltdown in last four minutes.

As others have pointed out - the fact that Green doesn't get minutes with two thirds of guards injured, is really sad. Mavs should develop the few assets they have, not play the likes of Burke or Brown before them. 2020 draft and decisions afterwards were just horrible. Mavs really need to make that one good move soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, burekemde
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/...44672?s=20

https://twitter.com/BallySportsSW/status...30312?s=20
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/Kz9T7J7ac5c
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 04:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Mavs have two problems imho. Playing any of the centers (WCS and Powell) just doesn't work, because they suck. Combined they managed a 1-4 FG, 0-2 FT, 3 RBD, 1 AS, 1 STL with teams basically neglecting them on defense. Spacing is awful whenever they are on the court. Ugly, ugly performance and I really hope WCS doesn't see the floor again.  

I think you have to look at this in two different ways...One is when one of WC or P is in with KP and the other is one of them in the non-KP minutes.  Someone HAS to get the non-KP minutes at center.  

On this night Powell who was +2 for the game was +7 when in without KP.  

WCS who was +0 for the game was also +0 in the non-KP minutes (a victory if you can hold your own when KP sits).  

Of course none of that is possible without the real Dirkie winner...Maxi...being back in the rotation.  Best +/- on the team and highest Help Value of anyone at +18.  He elevated his game more than anyone.  We could really use another Maxi-like player and one less Willie/Powell like player in the rotation.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 09:37 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think you have to look at this in two different ways...One is when one of WC or P is in with KP and the other is one of them in the non-KP minutes.  Someone HAS to get the non-KP minutes at center.  

On this night Powell who was +2 for the game was +7 when in without KP.  

WCS who was +0 for the game was also +0 in the non-KP minutes (a victory if you can hold your own when KP sits).  

Of course none of that is possible without the real Dirkie winner...Maxi...being back in the rotation.  Best +/- on the team and highest Help Value of anyone at +18.  He elevated his game more than anyone.  We could really use another Maxi-like player and one less Willie/Powell like player in the rotation.

I am sorry, I went too far with they suck statement. Basically I think they can't be successful in the system with involved KP and Luka. They will be negative factors in this system.

Oh this +-... Smile Why do we have to constantly use it as it is obvious it has extreme amount of noise in single game situations? Four other players contributed to WCS +0.

I think it was obvious to see that WCS was by far the worst starter. Not just by individual performance but also the ripple effect it has on teammates as defenses can more or less ignore him, hide their worst defender on him, this defender doesn't need to leave paint a lot and similar. If Mavs would have (another) guy like Kleber instead of WCS, it is very likely +- of him as well as all other guys playing with him would be considerably higher than WCS "achievement". I agree Mavs don't have such a guy at the moment but there were not few of us saying before season that involving KP and have a non shooting center in the line-up will not work. I wouldn't bitch about it if Mavs played WCS/Powell exclusively as KP back-ups, perhaps in a small ball version. As I said twice, I firmly believe that the system Mavs play is not designed to sustain a guy like DP or WCS with Luka and involved KP. Plenty of evdidence to support that, little evidence to support otherwise. Under RC, KP was playing differently and the DP/WCS-KP duo worked, but KP was not happy playing like that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
To add to my previous argument - if KP has to play some with Powell or WCS, he would have to accept he is "just" a floor spreader in those minutes. Otherwise I can't see how Luka running a PnR with one of those while KP is posting up below could work. PnR is the only thing those two can do offensively, everything else just becomes playing 4 against 5.
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 02:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk, man. Just my guess as to why they're possibly not going that way. 

You know what I'd do!

We know it's not that they disagree that KP/Kleber is the best option, because that's how they closed regulation and played all of overtime, I think, right? 

I think it must have something to do with who they consider a 5 and who they consider a 4.

I think its simply because they asked the players who to start and they voted for Powell.  A good lesson in why its probably not a good idea to let your players dictate your starting lineup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-24-2021, 02:40 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think its simply because they asked the players who to start and they voted for Powell. 

Okay, so was it the players who decided to start WCS over Kleber during this stretch, or were Powell and WCS the two options presented to the trio of leaders before the season started...omitting Kleber, because he's not thought of as a 5? Them choosing Powell over Willie makes sense to me. Them choosing BOTH Powell AND WCS over Kleber does not. 

If you're right, then those three players must REALLY not want Kleber to start.

(11-24-2021, 10:14 AM)omahen Wrote: To add to my previous argument - if KP has to play some with Powell or WCS, he would have to accept he is "just" a floor spreader in those minutes. Otherwise I can't see how Luka running a PnR with one of those while KP is posting up below could work. PnR is the only thing those two can do offensively, everything else just becomes playing 4 against 5.

Yeah, if WCS/Powell are on the floor and NOT being used as the screener, they are not only not adding much, they are subtracting on offense. 

If they are the screener, only KP is trying to establish himself in the paint simultaneously, then he and that center (Powell/WCS) are BOTH subtracting from the offense, simultaneously. 

I love the two-man stuff we've seen from Luka/KP recently, just not when the other three guys aren't all shooters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply