Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 123, SPURS 109
MAVERICKS WITH DECISIVE WIN OVER SPURS

The Mavs faced the silver and black for the third time this season, down in old San Antone. Coming off a rough performance in Chicago, they hoped for a reversal of fortune tonight. And their prayers were answered, with a contest that turned into a laugher before the end of the third quarter, and an overall effort that looked like the Mavs we hoped to see going into the season.  

GAME NOTES

Maxi continued out with his back strain. Kidd suggested that an update on his condition might be available as soon as Monday. Jakob Poeltl was out for the Spurs. 

Pre-game, Dameris is discussing the starting lineup issues in a rather forthcoming analysis. Shows several videos of KP and DP messing up the spacing. Says Kidd is trying to use a system that worked for the Lakers, but with Mavs personnel. Harris adds that KP and DP are not on the same page, and that’s bringing the offense to a halt. They like the idea of using the court as a lab, but think adjustments will clearly  be warranted. Wow. Pretty blunt criticism for a Mavs-sponsored show. Good explanations, though. 

However all that may be, Kidd sent the usual starting lineup out there. 

FIRST QUARTER

Luka draws a foul on the first possession. 2-2 from the line. Hardaway cut for a dunk from Luka. DFS-KP alley-oop. Yeah baby! Keldon Johnson knocks down two threes. Murray dunks over THJ. Little floater from KP. THJ and KP collide, Tim indicates his ankle hurts, earns free throws on the play. KP puts Luka miss back. Bullock and Brunson in. Luka drive and slam! Luka three at the shot clock buzzer! Willie in. Another Luka three! Luka look-away pass to DFS for a jam. 10-0 Dallas run!  21-16 3:53

Luka leads all scorers with 10 points. Frankie in. Now Sterling Brown makes it an all-bench lineup. Young over Willie. JB draws free throws on a drive. Bullock follow-up gives Mavs a 10-point lead. KP and THJ re-enter. Frank on the money from three! Mavs close on 18-6 run. Looking good! 31-22 after one. 

Mavs have gotten 5 more shot attempts up than the Spurs, and 4 more FTAs. 

SECOND QUARTER

Timmy contested midrange effort hits. KP from downtown, courtesy of the French Prince! Brunson drive, with a foul! Harp compliments his use of angles. Thaddeus Young knocks Luka down. Grr. DFS with a jam! Ball movement looks very good tonight. Luka attacks Young, wins free throws. Misses both, and Mavs can’t capitalize on two ORs by DP. Murray bank shot over Powell. 41-36 7:26

Luka-DP alley-oop. DFS corner three! Glad to see that! Young put back when THJ doesn’t box him out. Luka long runner off the glass! 48-41 5:32

Spurs shooting a higher FG% than Mavs, but not getting nearly as many shots up. They have also been hampered by 6 turnovers. Luka-KP for the one-handed authoritative slam. Luka to a cutting KP for another jam! KP banks in a hook shot from Luka! 54-47 3:29

KP leading the Mavs with 15 points on 7-10 shooting. Look-ing Good! McD dunk over KP. Luka with two more free throws. Hits 1 of two. JB baseline jumper. KP blocks a Spurs hook shot, follows that up with a LONG three. Then another successful challenge at the rim! KP free throws off a defensive rebound attempt. He’s up to 20 points. McD three well-defended but successful. Luka three from South Texas! Unselfish pass from Luka to Porzee, and KP beats the buzzer with a three from the logo!!! Woah!! 68-57 halftime

Mavs have slight advantages in PIP (26-20), second-chance points (15-10), and fast-break points (7-0). Have gotten 10 more FGAs up than SA. As far as individual performances, this is the Luka-KP show tonight. Kris has 23 points (9-13). Luka already nearing a triple double (16-7-10).  Six of those assists led to KP buckets. Good times!

THIRD QUARTER

Luka scores over several Spurs. Luka-DP! DFS steal of a McD bobble ends with KP freebies. Hits ‘em both. KP block of Johnson dunk! Luka scores on a post-up. DFS-DP jam! 78-62 8:38

DFS corner three again! DFS intercepts a pass and races down the court for a dunk! 83-64 5:43

Luka has his triple-double now. DFS above-the-break three! 88-68 3:21

All-bench unit again. S Brown from the corner! Brunson from center court! Back to back! Timeout to wipe blood off Frankie’s lip. Frenchie for three! 102-77 after three

Unless the Mavs undergo a spectacular collapse, this one is looking pretty done and dusted. Mavs had a 34-20 edge, along with six threes, in the third period. 

FOURTH QUARTER

Luka takes a tumble into the crowd. Looks like he’s in the second or third row. He’s okay.  Probably some pretty thrilled fans he fell into there, lol.  Luka-KP jam has the Mavs contingent swooning! 107-87 7:54

KP cleans the offensive glass for a throw down! Kidd yelling at Frankie to get his butt to the sideline to inbound, lol. Luka layup, followed by a three. These Spurs players have their brains  fried, haha. 117-99 4:05

Not sure why the starters are still on the floor, but the closing unit is the starters, minus Powell and plus Brunson. That lineup closes out the game. 123-109 FT

ANALYSIS

FG% was close to the same for both teams, but the Mavs put up 16 more shots, including 15 more threes, than SA. That’ll do it, most nights. They had 22 second-chance points, fed partially by 10 offensive rebounds. The Spurs lost 16 points via 13 turnovers, some of which were attributable to the Mavs’ 9 steals. In that regard, Dallas had 13 FB points. The Mavs were also helped by a very low-turnover night (6). Balanced attack, with 4 Mavs in double figures. 

PLAYER NOTES

DONCIC (36 min). Luka was in very fine form tonight, with his first triple-dub of the season, featuring a spectacular 32-12-15 line, six threes, and only two turnovers. He was brilliant in the PNR, and looked to be playing with joy. What a night for our young phenom! 

Devin believes that Luka was not happy with his own performance in Chicago, and was anxious to redeem himself. Kidd revealed that Luka went to the gym the previous evening and worked on his shooting. His three-point shooting was looking good (6-13), and there was a certain amount of symbiosis between his teammates making their shots and his having enough space to do his thing. Kidd thinks that Luka’s best is yet to come, with it still being so early in the season, and he advised against making the foolish gaffe of writing Luka off after the first ten games. You tell ‘em, Coach! 

PORZINGIS (34). Looked like a breakout game for Kris this season, with 32 points, along with 7 boards and 3 blocks. He and Luka were a scoring machine, and he was driving, cutting, taking threes, passing to other guys, and otherwise keeping the Spurs guessing. Dameris said that this is the template for how the coaches want KP to play. Kris looked proud in the post-game interview, and opined that the team had been really good in the first half, not quite so much in the second half, but an overall fine effort. Kidd commended a “very aggressive” performance by his prized big man. 

DFS (34). Dorian's old self seemingly showed up in this one, and it was a welcome return. Previously looking offensively challenged this season, he had 15 efficient points, shooting 6-10 (3-5 3PTA). Good to see that three-point stroke reappearing. He also put up a well-rounded 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, and a block. The Bally studio crew speculated that his initial inside scoring gave him the moxie to shoot his threes with confidence. As usual, he was great on the defensive end. 

THJ (31). Timmy was 2-11 tonight, and he had only 5 points, but fortunately, his teammates had his back. He also contributed 6 rebounds and 2 assists. With so many other guys stepping up, a team can afford an off night from its shooter. 

JB (27). Brunson did another great job running the second unit, led the bench with 15 points, and dished 3 dimes. He scored very efficiently (6-13), and had no turnovers. Harris, who seems to have a bit of an avuncular attitude toward Jalen, thought he played well in every aspect of the game. I wouldn’t argue the point. 

MENTIONSBULLOCK (21) was 3-9, and his stat line was modest at 7 points, 4 boards, and 2 steals, but I heard no complaints, and it was Doe-Doe’s night to shine, anyway. FRANKIE (17) had six points and three assists and shared in the management of the second unit. He had a couple of bad turnovers, but overall, I really like the way this guy plays — he's not the offensive liability we had been expecting, and he's so confident with his moves. POWELL (16) didn’t play heavy minutes, but hit all three of his shots, led the team in offensive rebounds (3), and put up 2 assists and 2 blocks. He took a back seat to KP, but, as far as I could tell, did what he was asked to do. STERLING (14)  had 3 points, 5 boards and 2 steals in his action with the bench units. Kidd looks to have him slotted into 10-15 mpg in the rotation, hopefully on his way to becoming a stalwart off the bench.  WILLIE didn’t score, but had a couple of rebounds and a block. Filled a few backup big minutes. 

MOSES, BOBAN, BURKE, and GREEN were DNP-CDs. It was Trey’s 29th birthday, and we hope he had a happy. 

SPURS. The Spurs had a balanced offense, with 6 guys in double figures, led by Devin Vassell, with 20 points off the bench. I thought they were a bit disadvantaged with their small lineups, particularly in the rebounding department. Mostly, though, they had a talent deficit compared to the Mavs, and acquitted themselves reasonably well, considering they are in the rebuilding stage. We were treated to one of Popovich's facial expressions of the most supreme disgust, talking to a ref on the sideline, lol. I'm going to miss Pop and his sense of humor when he's gone. 

OBSERVATIONS

Kidd said the group talked quite a bit after the disappointing performance in Chicago, and Kidd asked them to focus on attacking the rim, especially at first, since they already know they can hit threes (they do??). He wanted Luka and KP to start in the post and make an effort to play inside. He was especially pleased with the “very high-energy” night by the whole team. 

Devin Harris observed that we all may have been a little too quick to judge the Luka-KP duo. The Luka-Kris PNR was out in full force, and working beautifully. A fine sight to see!

I thought this game represented a leap in performance by the Mavs, and they played some very attractive basketball, with all the ball movement, player movement, sparkling attacks, and gorgeous long shots. I know, it was “only” the Spurs, but iirc, the victory was the Mavs’ first blowout win of the season. More of the same, please!

NEXT. The Mavs will host the Nuggets on Monday night. We’ll see if they can sustain their performance against tougher opposition. 

8-4, Bay-bee!!
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:25 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The Mavs will host the Nuggets on Monday night. We’ll see if they can sustain their performance against tougher opposition. 

The Nuggets game will be another beatdown, just like the Miami and Chicago games were. 

Can we all try to remember how we're feeling tonight, and that this is a process? 22 year-old cornerstone, new coach, etc?
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:25 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: we all may have been a little too quick to judge the Luka-KP duo

I personally don't see 106 games together as "too quick"....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:25 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: FRANKIE (17) had six points and three assists and shared in the management of the second unit. He had a couple of bad turnovers, but overall, I really like the way this guy plays — he's not the offensive liability we had been expecting, and he's so confident with his moves.

Man, is that the truth!
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • LukTheShadow, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:25 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Looked like a breakout game for Kris this season
You call him Kris on the broadcast as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:25 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The Luka-Kris PNR was out in full force, and working beautifully. A fine sight to see!

Thanks for recap. Finally we saw this!
Like Reply
Thx for the superstar recaps, mavsluvr!

I really liked how they used KP. He was mainly in the positions and situations where he is most effective, and this showed up:

- KP is deadly when he cuts into the paint, and gets the ball on the run. We saw numerous plays where Luka could find him cutting to the basket.

- KP was used as a type of pivot or outlet in many situations. Sort of like Webber/Divac were used in Sacramento. Easy to throw the ball up KP the ball in many situations and then he could move the ball and the offense forward much quicker this way back to Luka and others. Luka would throw it up to KP that secured the point of attack and the ball could move forward like that away from KP. Its a very effective way to use KP, and basically we have never used him like that and I always thought this was a shame, as its a "free" pass to the offense. I feel the same about Bobi, he could be used more in this sense. Talking about this pivot/outlet, Luka would, in practically every single out of bounds pass, close to the basket, look ONLY for KP. I loved to see this It was super effective. KP is in each of these situations ball passed inbounds would be close to basket or in position high up to pass the ball further.

- Pick and roll with KP and Luka really worked well. There was far less clogging of paint today.

- KP is really back into shape, this shows up defensively, he has started contesting and blocking shots, protecting the paint. It looks like the KP two seasons ago. This is very encouraging.

- We got KP the ball under the basket. Here he is unstoppable. Just some distance further away if he gets it posting up, he is extremely inneficient. But close to the basket when he gets it, he cant be stopped.

Basically this is how to use KP. i) Avoid posting up. ii) Use him as an important/pivot in many situations to move the offense and create flow, iii) design plays where he can cut in the paint and get the ball on the move, iv) get him the ball as close to basket as possible
[-] The following 8 users Like burekemde's post:
  • ballsrchr, dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, mvossman, Paul Gasol, ReunionMav, Scott41theMavs, Tyler
Like Reply
A play I would like to see is isolating KP and Luka, while the other 3 players sit the corners/wide waiting for the open shot. I would like here to see Luka pass the ball up to KP standing as that pivot. Then Luka could cut to the basket and get the ball from KP, or cut ind and back and get the ball from KP. This would be impossible for defenses to deal with.

Basically, they need to test all combinations of plays with KP and Luka in isolation. Even test Luka setting screens for KP, and reverse. Luka acting as that pivot or in reverse to KP. I think KP has enough passing skills to unlock space for Luka in these situations.
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 02:41 AM)burekemde Wrote: Thx for the superstar recaps, mavsluvr!

I think you speak for the group with this burekemde!

Thanks ML!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 02:41 AM)burekemde Wrote: Thx for the superstar recaps, mavsluvr!

I really liked how they used KP. He was mainly in the positions and situations where he is most effective, and this showed up:

- KP is deadly when he cuts into the paint, and gets the ball on the run. We saw numerous plays where Luka could find him cutting to the basket.

- KP was used as a type of pivot or outlet in many situations. Sort of like Webber/Divac were used in Sacramento. Easy to throw the ball up KP the ball in many situations and then he could move the ball and the offense forward much quicker this way back to Luka and others. Luka would throw it up to KP that secured the point of attack and the ball could move forward like that away from KP. Its a very effective way to use KP, and basically we have never used him like that and I always thought this was a shame, as its a "free" pass to the offense. I feel the same about Bobi, he could be used more in this sense. Talking about this pivot/outlet, Luka would, in practically every single out of bounds pass, close to the basket, look ONLY for KP. I loved to see this It was super effective. KP is in each of these situations ball passed inbounds would be close to basket or in position high up to pass the ball further.

- Pick and roll with KP and Luka really worked well. There was far less clogging of paint today.

- KP is really back into shape, this shows up defensively, he has started contesting and blocking shots, protecting the paint. It looks like the KP two seasons ago. This is very encouraging.

- We got KP the ball under the basket. Here he is unstoppable. Just some distance further away if he gets it posting up, he is extremely inneficient. But close to the basket when he gets it, he cant be stopped.

Basically this is how to use KP. i) Avoid posting up. ii) Use him as an important/pivot in many situations to move the offense and create flow, iii) design plays where he can cut in the paint and get the ball on the move, iv) get him the ball as close to basket as possible

I missed the game last night but I noticed KP only played 12 minutes with Powell on the court (and none with WCS).  That means he spent 22 minutes as the single big.  I assume most/all of this KP goodness occurred during that time?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 11:34 AM)mvossman Wrote: I missed the game last night but I noticed KP only played 12 minutes with Powell on the court (and none with WCS).  That means he spent 22 minutes as the single big.  I assume most/all of this KP goodness occurred during that time?

First stint w/Powell -6
Second stint w/o another center -1
Third stint w/o another center +6 (includes the buzzer beater prayer to end Q2)
Fourth stint w/Powell + 6

Fourth quarter (basically 12 minutes of trash time) -11 w/o another center
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:12 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: First stint w/Powell -6

So basically KPs success was less about lineups and more about usage. Nice.
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 11:34 AM)mvossman Wrote: I missed the game last night but I noticed KP only played 12 minutes with Powell on the court (and none with WCS).  That means he spent 22 minutes as the single big.  I assume most/all of this KP goodness occurred during that time?

This is a great point mvoss. I didnt look or notice this tendency. My guess would be like you suggest that KPs good play occured in non DP lineups, but I dont know. Maybe someone else here on forum has noticed this, and knows the answer?

In previous games, the clogging of paint was mainly due to both KP and DP being in the paint when Luka attacks. Or two other players, but it was KP and DP often. Which made things harder for Luka as got doubled and run into defenders that covered DP and KP.

Yesterday i noticed a few plays where only LD and DP attacked the paint with PnR. It worked like in the old days. I think that nothing is wrong with LD or DP. Its just that before there was always a third player positioned wrong.

(11-13-2021, 12:12 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: First stint w/Powell -6

Thanks for finding this DS. Interesting.
Like Reply
The Luka - Brunson - Bullock - DFS - KP lineup is probably my favorite starting 5 so far. As long as Kleber is still out. Genuinely shocked that lineup played a grand total of 2 min before the game.

Its a bit early to look at 5 man lineups, but so far 1 big lineups Mavs fans calling for have been way better. And this counts for Luka maybe even more right now. Its not even a trend for just KP. Luka struggling with 2 Bigs on the floor. All positive net rating lineups with Luka have basically just 1 BIG on the floor. It doesn't even seem to matter which BIG is on the floor.

Luka - Brunson - THJ - Bullock - KP 42.9 net in 7 min

---------------

Luka - Brunson - Bullock - DFS - WCS 47.5 net in 15 min

Luka - Brunson - THJ - DFS - Powell 13.0 net in 53 min

This are two lineups with Powell and WCS (who are the early scapegoats by Mavs Fans) that are still positive and performed pretty decent.
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • Kammrath, mvossman
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Nuggets game will be another beatdown, just like the Miami and Chicago games were. 

And, . . . . Miss Merry Sunshine weighs in. 

Just kidding. I try to give the recaps an upbeat flavor after wins, but also appreciate people coming by and keeping it real. 

Can we all try to remember how we're feeling tonight, and that this is a process? 22 year-old cornerstone, new coach, etc?

Totally. The next stretch of about seven games looks to be very tough, and it will behoove us all to remember that this iteration of the Mavs is still a work in progress. 

Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if the Mavs took a game or two. Maybe more, if Lady Luck is sitting on their shoulder. 

At least we know that they can play beautifully against some reasonably mediocre level of competition. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:35 AM)Hypermav Wrote: You call him Kris on the broadcast as well.

LOL, I don't know why this still always leaves me laughing. 

P.S.  The "Kris" moniker has gotten to be a thing with a lot of the TV people. It's not just me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 01:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: P.S.  The "Kris" moniker has gotten to be a thing with a lot of the TV people. It's not just me.

So....what you're saying is....you're not the only person on TV that says it...

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 8 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • embellisher, Hypermav, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman, Paul Gasol, ReunionMav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 02:29 PM)fifteenth Wrote: So....what you're saying is....you're not the only person on TV that says it...

[Image: giphy.gif]

LOL, I like that
Like Reply
(11-13-2021, 12:59 PM)Tyler Wrote: So basically KPs success was less about lineups and more about usage. Nice.

Ooooh. Not the conclusion I reached at all. Super interesting that this is what you got out of it.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Kammrath
Like Reply
It’s certainly possible that I missed something in the stats. How did you interpret them?
Like Reply