Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 107, BULLS 117
(11-11-2021, 02:17 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I have always been intrigued by Frank N and wanted the Mavs to take a chance on him if he were available.  However he is a reclamation project and the jury is still out on his offense. Caruso is a proven commodity who instantly adds a lot of depth to the team.

I don't disagree (I wanted to sign him), my only point is Frank probably has a better chance of reaching that level than Green.
Like Reply
(11-11-2021, 07:58 PM)mvossman Wrote: I was on the same page that they needed to do something bigger as this was potentially the last offseason they would have room to operate under the cap for a while.  I was not a fan of DeRozan (especially at 26 mil/year) as I was concerned about his fit with Luka, but given how little we did this offseason I probably would have preferred that to what we did (essentially nothing).

Just to be clear though, if we signed DeRozan that would have meant no THJ or Bullock unless we make moves to dump salary as we would only have roughly 6 mil leftover.  The exception would be if we could have convinced the Spurs to take on KP in a S&T.  We do that and we might have managed to squeeze in Holmes, THJ and Bullock under the cap.  That would be a trade of KP/WCS for Holmes/DeRozan.  Easy call at this point.

I heard we went hard after Batum but he wanted to stay a Clipper, and when have we not gone after Danny Green?  My guess was Bullock was the best 3&D we could get for the MLE.  Along the lines of your thinking, if we could not land any big fish at all, I would preferred to go for the 3 MLE guys that we could spend a few extra mil on.  If Bullock was our best 3&D option, then I probably would have preferred a Theis/Bullock/Caruso offseason to THJ/Bullock/WCS.

If nothing else, if we were intending to do this two big lineup to "protect KP" then I have no idea why we did not at least get Holmes.  He would have been way more impactful than Bullock, and all that would have cost was letting WCS walk.

Thanks for the reply.   I might have remembered correctly and thought we had 40 million of cap room if we renounced WCS.   Maybe I am confusing what I expected DeRezon would get to what he actually did get.  

Losing Hardaway would have hurt and maybe keeping him and upgrading talent moving forward might prove to be the best long term direction, but it still hurts focusing on the edges this offseason.

Clippers won their 6th straight.   Nice bounce back after a rough start.   It looks like Hartlestein is getting minutes over Ibaka.   Ibaka just returned from injury.  We will see if that continues.   Might be something to watch.
Like Reply