Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
(07-01-2022, 11:26 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Guys on the Ticket made a good point about the sequence of events post January.   If JB was willing to reach out to the Mavs begging to sign a 4/55 or 5/55 contract...why were all these scouts at the Mavs game with Rick Brunson sitting with Leon supposedly just 2 months later?

Seems like Jb's family has known that Knicks would be offering far more for his services way before January.   I mean...JB's legal God Father is running the Knicks and that guys son is JB's agent.  Why would JB be begging Mavs for the 4/55 or 5/55?  It doesnt add up.

Jake(?) from the Ticket thinks Rick Brunson is lying about the extension story.  I assume hes talking about the April news story on Brunson and the article has quotes from Rick Brunson about JB's price skyrocketing and there are "No Discounts" for JB and his services now.

Something isnt adding up for sure.

THIS.

The only thing that makes sense is RB is fabricating a story on April 25. It hasn't been corroborated by anyone and it is only direct quotes of RB.
Like Reply
From @omahen post in the roster thread:

(07-02-2022, 04:09 AM)omahen Wrote: Very interesting listen. Skin saying Mavs didn't want to pay Brunson more than 22 mil. He also basically confirms the January extension version and that they didn't believe they can win a title with JB and just saw him as an asset. I thought they didn't get the meeting and Brunson family are the ultimate bad guys, though. I guess I was wrong... 

He is saying they have a back up plan if they lose JB. They are positioning themselves to make a move in 18 months. Might be sooner. They have a group of guys they believe make them a contender and they want to be prepared when opportunity comes. Mentions expiring Powell, Kleber and Wood (can be aggregated after August 23rd) as expiring salary that can be used in trades.

Also a lot on other topics as McGee (doesn't think he will start), Kyrie (possibility if price low) and other trades around the league.

Keep It or Bleep It/Gina Miller - The Ben and Skin Show | iHeart

There are no good guys. Mavs screwed up. Brunson and his team didn´t like it. Gave the Mavs a taste of their own medicine.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Fuerza1, khaled1987, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Going to listen to that myself when I get a chance. "Basically confirms" feels like he says things that COULD be interpreted a certain way but doesn't actually say them.
Like Reply
I never believed the Rick Brunson bullshit. Weird vibes from that dude for awhile. None of that should obscure the fact that Cuban insulted him again by not prioritizing him AGAIN in this free agency. What was the quote about “we can pay more than anybody else.” They then offered him less per year then NY! It was all lip service. Whether you believe it was that they had him valued at a certain number and after that he wasn’t an “asset.” Or that Cuban cheaped out. Or some combination of both. They offered him “more money” technically, sure, with the 5th year included. But did anybody really interpret Cubans words to mean that? What an equivocator. Jalen will be the 15th highest paid PG I think is what I read. Simons got paid more than we offered. Tyus Jones got 15m. FVV big extension. Cuban must just be struggling financially and couldn’t afford it, or can afford it but didn’t want to pay the luxury tax. Cuban didn’t offer more because he was a afraid Jalen might accept. So they actually gave him a lowball offer. Compounding previous errors made with Jalen. Just another bad look for our franchise. And our competition rubbing it in on Twitter. Clowning us. Really get sick of this. It’s becoming an annual embarrassment. Thanks god for Dirk and now Luka. The sad takeaway is, for me, the realization that Nico has limited power and any success will continue to be in spite of Cuban.
[-] The following 7 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • Branduil, DrMav, F Gump, hakeemfaan, khaled1987, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 08:36 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I never believed the Rick Brunson bullshit. Weird vibes from that dude for awhile. None of that should obscure the fact that Cuban insulted him again by not prioritizing him AGAIN in this free agency.  What was the quote about “we can pay more than anybody else.” They then offered him less per year then NY! It was all lip service. Whether you believe it was that they had him valued at a certain number and after that he wasn’t an “asset.” Or that Cuban cheaped out. Or some combination of both. They offered him “more money” technically, sure, with the 5th year included. But did anybody really interpret Cubans words to mean that? What an equivocator. Jalen will be the 15th highest paid PG I think is what I read. Simons got paid more than we offered. Tyus Jones got 15m. FVV big extension. Cuban must just be struggling financially and couldn’t afford it, or can afford it but didn’t want to pay the luxury tax. Cuban didn’t offer more because he was a afraid Jalen might accept. So they actually gave him a lowball offer. Compounding previous errors made with Jalen. Just another bad look for our franchise. And our competition rubbing it in on Twitter. Clowning us. Really get sick of this. It’s becoming an annual embarrassment. Thanks god for Dirk and now Luka. The sad takeaway is, for me, the realization that Nico has limited power and any success will continue to be in spite of Cuban.

Nice post.
Like Reply
To further add perspective, Cuban offered Harrison Barnes more money than he offered Jalen Brunson ($23.6M AAV vs $21M AAV). 

To whole Skin discussion kind of made me eerie; he kept referring Brunson as an asset, an asset, an asset. I cannot imagine why Brunson would leave a place that never valued him. 

Big contrast to his fellow TV partner, Derek Harper, who offered his support in a NY Post article.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply
I'm curious what do you guys think the trade market for Brunson was before the deadline?  Loosing him for nothing sucks, but even if we knew he was going to walk what was his value in trade going to be before his playoff performance and with an expiring contract?
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 08:36 AM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: I never believed the Rick Brunson bullshit. Weird vibes from that dude for awhile. None of that should obscure the fact that Cuban insulted him again by not prioritizing him AGAIN in this free agency.  What was the quote about “we can pay more than anybody else.” They then offered him less per year then NY! It was all lip service. Whether you believe it was that they had him valued at a certain number and after that he wasn’t an “asset.” Or that Cuban cheaped out. Or some combination of both. They offered him “more money” technically, sure, with the 5th year included. But did anybody really interpret Cubans words to mean that? What an equivocator. Jalen will be the 15th highest paid PG I think is what I read. Simons got paid more than we offered. Tyus Jones got 15m. FVV big extension. Cuban must just be struggling financially and couldn’t afford it, or can afford it but didn’t want to pay the luxury tax. Cuban didn’t offer more because he was a afraid Jalen might accept. So they actually gave him a lowball offer. Compounding previous errors made with Jalen. Just another bad look for our franchise. And our competition rubbing it in on Twitter. Clowning us. Really get sick of this. It’s becoming an annual embarrassment. Thanks god for Dirk and now Luka. The sad takeaway is, for me, the realization that Nico has limited power and any success will continue to be in spite of Cuban.

At that point I think Cuban knew they were screwed because he wasn't willing to foot the tax bill. His public statements were an attempt to scare New York off, but they didn't flinch and instead applied maximum pressure by offering more per year and even front-loading the deal.

(07-02-2022, 09:34 AM)Benskix2 Wrote: I'm curious what do you guys think the trade market for Brunson was before the deadline?  Loosing him for nothing sucks, but even if we knew he was going to walk what was his value in trade going to be before his playoff performance and with an expiring contract?

I don't think there was much of a market because he was expiring. The only offer I remember hearing was the Knicks putting the Dallas 23 1st on the table.
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 09:34 AM)Benskix2 Wrote: I'm curious what do you guys think the trade market for Brunson was before the deadline?  Loosing him for nothing sucks, but even if we knew he was going to walk what was his value in trade going to be before his playoff performance and with an expiring contract?

Skin Wade just said it was basically nothing. The Mavs gambled that there would be a market, but essentially everyone knew he was leaving for NYK at that point.
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 10:00 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Skin Wade just said it was basically nothing. The Mavs gambled that there would be a market, but essentially everyone knew he was leaving for NYK at that point.

Trying to think of a single time one of these dumb Cuban gambles actually worked.
Like Reply
Honest question, when has Skin been right about anything when it comes to Mavs roster moves? This isn’t a shot at Skin. Generally curious.
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 10:05 AM)Smitty Wrote: Honest question, when has Skin been right about anything when it comes to Mavs roster moves? This isn’t a shot at Skin. Generally curious.

Many, many times. He definitely has an accurate read on the state of the organization and what their intentions are. 

For example he was the one who broke the news that JB wouldn't be returning. First one to say "99%" chance he was gong to NYK.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 10:09 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Many, many times. He definitely has an accurate read on the state of the organization and what their intentions are. 

For example he was the one who broke the news that JB wouldn't be returning. First one to say "99%" chance he was gong to NYK.

I guess I have too many scars from him selling hope, that it’s clouded my memory. I’ll take your word for it though.
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 10:05 AM)Smitty Wrote: Honest question, when has Skin been right about anything when it comes to Mavs roster moves? This isn’t a shot at Skin. Generally curious.

He is one of Cuban´s mouth pieces. You get some truths but just like in the case of other media guys (McMahon / someone close to Donnie) you have to be aware of the sources. His all time special after another failed offseason was this twitter rant.

Quote:"Fans don’t have to act like moody petulant little 8th grade girls going though puberty that don’t get their way - the negativity over a team in such a great position is pathetic. These people deserve Dolan"
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • hakeemfaan, khaled1987, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 10:15 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He is one of Cuban´s mouth pieces. You get some truths but just like in the case of other media guys (McMahon / someone close to Donnie) you have to be aware of the sources. His all time special after another failed offseason was this twitter rant.

Cuban is too thin skinned to take criticism. If it’s an employee he will fire them. If it’s a reporter he will reduce their access. So if your job depends upon access to the Mavs you have to be smart. 

When Ben and Skin had their own show long ago without any of these pressures they were terrific. So obviously they are both very knowledgeable hoops guys.
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 10:15 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He is one of Cuban´s mouth pieces. You get some truths but just like in the case of other media guys (McMahon / someone close to Donnie) you have to be aware of the sources. His all time special after another failed offseason was this twitter rant.

This. Skin clearly has good sources (probably including Cuban, himself) within the Mavs organization, and he's fairly responsible with the info, while knowing the game fairly well.

BUT, he doesn't know the game quite as well as he thinks he does, imo. He's a little stuck in the past. Thought Mo Bamba would be a better player than Luka Doncic, for example. 

AND, unlike guys like Stein, Cato, McMahon, etc, he is employed by the team, which, even with a normal owner, would predispose someone to adopt a team-friendly POV on the info he's given, and we know Cuban is particularly sensitive to outside criticism at times (though I feel this is an area where Cuban has improved a bit). 

But the real difference between Skin's info and that from those others is that Skin is a lifelong Mavs fan, just like all of us. His access is probably very much like a dream come true for him.

His info is probably very legit, in a certain sense, because it's coming straight from the top of the organization, but I've noticed that he gets more forthcoming with it during times when their decision making is under attack from fans, and I don't think that's coincidence. I think it's an effort to get the Mavs' perspective out there in an unofficial way. 

Valuable and interesting? Absolutely. But it should all be strained through the "agenda colander," imho.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 07:30 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: As early as December the $80mm number was floating around and it was clear by then Brunson would make at least that much.  So, no way he takes the $55mm.  Yeah, I think Rick is lying.  No one wants to be the bad guy and sometimes you have to invent things so you can be the victim and the other party can be the bad guy.  What he said and she said from January on is of no interest to me as it was never going to happen.

To me, the more interesting question is whether Dallas offered or should have offered the deal before the season.

Yeah...the Ticket guys were saying this as well...that JB's market value was way higher than 4 or 5/55 before January...so there was no way JB was begging for a 55M deal.

The timelines dont add up and it really looks like Rick Brunson was lying in the April article.

I honestly dont think Mavs were ever in the plans.   Seems like JB, Leon, Leon's son and Rick Brunson all have a plan of their own.   

Rick Brunson seems like that pee-wee league Dad that is sitting in the stands giving signals to his son undermining the son's coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 12:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Valuable and interesting? Absolutely. But it should all be strained through the 'ol "agenda colander," imho.

Certainly. What was interesting to me was, that he didn't back Mavs in their "Brunson didn't let us give an offer" but said they didn't want to pay him more than 22 mil, which is basically directly oposite what Cuban said they will do a month or so ago. Of course he then explained about "great back up plans" they have in line, which are sadly "muddied" by Durant situation.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
Ultimately...it looks like Dallas should have traded JB last offseason than gamble on being able to see him in playoffs one more time before paying him or him leaving for nothing.

Could Marks crypto losses have anything to do with him being stingy about paying Lux Tax?
Like Reply
(07-02-2022, 12:55 PM)omahen Wrote: Certainly. What was interesting to me was, that he didn't back Mavs in their "Brunson didn't let us give an offer" but said they didn't want to pay him more than 22 mil, which is basically directly oposite what Cuban said they will do a month or so ago. Of course he then explained about "great back up plans" they have in line, which are sadly "muddied" by Durant situation.

Oh, for sure. Skin made several tweets about the Mavs' offer, financially. It was a known thing.
Like Reply