Poll: Brunson:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Start
65.22%
30 65.22%
Bench
8.70%
4 8.70%
Trade
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
BRUNSON BURNER: to NYK for 4yrs/$104M (no SnT) | NYK docked 2025 2nd for tampering
(04-05-2023, 02:09 PM)Jym Wrote: Oh you better believe there would have been a conversation if we were going to make a competitive offer 
Cuban has his limit and Nico had to work with that

They had a meeting scheduled with Jalen for the start of free agency and then Jalen left them at the alter.  If Nico had that skillset, a conversation would have at least happened but alas.
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 02:14 PM)cow Wrote: They had a meeting scheduled with Jalen for the start of free agency and then Jalen left them at the alter.  If Nico had that skillset, a conversation would have at least happened but alas.

Though losing Jalen certainly ranks up there I think Jalen always had some would like to be in New York thoughts even when he was a kid. I think the only chance we ever had was before Jalen realized he might have that chance. I think that was pretty early on. At the point we could have extended his less confident self no one including this board was willing to give him the contract he got. We never really had a chance no matter how much we blame and complain. Jalen shocked the world to some degree even himself and then reaped his chosen reward. To his credit he then gave us everything he owed us and more. 

Now I guess we get behind his quality replacement Kyrie. We hopefully be pleasantly surprised by finding an even better than DFS replacement for him. Who knows maybe Kyrie soon becomes as popular as Jet became. But this whining and blaming needs to stop. Jalen won and 4 years of his great benefits to us was over. I hope the new CBA is more favorable to teams keeping their own and it looks like it might be.
Like Reply
Yeah, I'm not sure Jalen would have stayed even if he got money whipped.  He wouldn't be NY Jalen had he stayed which effects his next contract.  He gambled on himself and so far, so good.
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 03:47 PM)cow Wrote: Yeah, I'm not sure Jalen would have stayed even if he got money whipped.  He wouldn't be NY Jalen had he stayed which effects his next contract.  He gambled on himself and so far, so good.

His playoff usage last year was basically the same as his current. Not like he is getting more touches. Still has to share the ball with Randle and Barrett. Not to mention that the Mavs gave up DFS, SD and a 1st to add a player that plays a similar score first high usage role.

Agree that he probably wouldn´t have stayed anyway but that´s more about the way the Mavs handled things in the month leading up to free agency.
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 03:56 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: His playoff usage last year was basically the same as his current. Not like he is getting more touches. Still has to share the ball with Randle and Barrett. Not to mention that the Mavs gave up DFS, SD and a 1st to add a player that plays a similar score first high usage role.

Agree that he probably wouldn´t have stayed anyway but that´s more about the way the Mavs handled things in the month leading up to free agency.

I'm not sure what the Knick narrative is this year, but the Mavs would never be his team.  He has to at least be in that conversation in New York.  That creates more opportunity for the next contract.  

I was flat out wrong about him multiple times.  Good for him and maybe the Mavs were his team, at least from a locker room and leadership perspective.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 03:47 PM)cow Wrote: Yeah, I'm not sure Jalen would have stayed even if he got money whipped.  He wouldn't be NY Jalen had he stayed which effects his next contract.  He gambled on himself and so far, so good.

I know I'd feel a whole lot better about the whole situation if we forced him to turn down $50+ million in guaranteed money
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 04:52 PM)Jym Wrote: I know I'd feel a whole lot better about the whole situation if we forced him to turn down $50+ million in guaranteed money

I'm not excusing the MBT 1.0, they really fucked the entire situation up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 04:59 PM)cow Wrote: I'm not excusing the MBT 1.0, they really fucked the entire situation up.

Yeah that was worded bad
I meant an additional $50 million over what the Knicks offered. 5 years $154+ million
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
I don’t blame the old regime at all.  The mavs had plenty of opportunities to lock him up at a super valuable price.  I wasn’t expecting this leap from him this year but I have always been a fan.  I always felt Bob V and Cuban didn’t see Jalen’s talent.  I mean I am a noob and I saw it very early.  Not 24 points per game but a winning player on a championship team.

I really wonder when Kyrie was sitting out/suspended last year if he was who the mavs were trying to get?  I hope they were trying for a deal instead of locking up Jalen.  Otherwise it would even be more of a inexcusable offense.
Like Reply
All good in Mavs land.  The mavs were super professional when Jalen left.  You remember us thinking that meant they had other moves lined up?  Ha.

You knew eventually Cuban would blame someone and make it a story.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...84864?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1643...2q3s8tAAAA
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Shut the fuck up, Mark.

Love,
Everyone
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • BoredAssistant, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
They may have lost Jalen but remember, they still have Frank.
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • hakeemfaan, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 04:00 PM)cow Wrote: I'm not sure what the Knick narrative is this year, but the Mavs would never be his team.

I don't think Knicks will be his team also. At some point, they will be able to attract a top player or two
Like Reply
(04-05-2023, 06:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1643...2q3s8tAAAA

Can you say copout?  He sounds like the former president.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3608...en-brunson
Like Reply
Dear lord, can Cuban just shut the F up and go away already??

He will NEVER understand that his ego doesn't matter or to show some humility because he IS NOT the smartest guy in the room.

He's making it very hard to remain a fan of this team.
[-] The following 4 users Like LifeAquatic's post:
  • dmavs4life03, hakeemfaan, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Cuban these days tries to win battles via interviews while other owners try to win it through smart front offices and coaches.
[-] The following 3 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • F Gump, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I think Cuban finally made a public explanation of the situation for a couple of reasons:

1. Public perception that he was "cheap".  It's one thing for fans to feel that way, but quite another for players.  Trading for Kyrie, and paying him a new max contract, should go a long way towards correcting that perception.

2. In the interview a couple of days ago, Luka answered a question about how much the team missed Brunson, and he answered "a lot".  If there was any doubt among current Mav players about how the team evaluated Brunson's value and contribution to the team, Cuban wanted them to have a clear picture.
Like Reply
Looked to me like Cuban came out on a mission to take heat off of Kidd and Nico. That was his sole purpose for having this “candid” performan…I mean discussion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply