Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 104, SPURS 99
(10-29-2021, 01:47 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I wonder if the Mavs are going to have this choice. 

Brunson is already getting starter minutes. It has been reported by multiple sources that he is looking for a bigger role, in addition to more money. When Devin Harris was talking about him the other night, it was somewhat in the nature of why fans should not be mad at him because  it's only natural for a talented point guard to want to run his own team. 

Would you foresee a situation where the Mavs take Luka off the ball and hand the reins to Brunson? If not, I wonder whether he looks for a situation where he can run his own show. Not saying he definitely will, but I think there is a possibility that he sees himself moving on to greener pastures.
This has been speculated and predicted for at least a year here. I hope Nico is figuring this out!
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 11:04 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: So, I think this confusion comes from the term “secondary playmaker”…I think some people use that word interchangeably with “backup point guard.”  What I have been screaming for since the bubble season is more playmaking on the court WITH Luka, operating in a secondary (as in not primary) capacity. The backup point guard operates as the primary playmaker for most of the time he is on the court. 

Having said that, Brunson and Luka play better together with each passing day, in my opinion. If I am a high-ranking official in the Mavericks organization right now, I am starting to seriously consider viewing him as the long term starter next to Luka. It’s just a matter of time before someone pays him to play as a starter, anyway. You could argue that this would cause problems on the defensive end, but it is becoming more and more clear that it would come with the benefit of improved playmaking in the top group.

The problem the Mavericks have with that right now is that it would leave them with no playmaking off of the bench (it’s time for me to admit Burke island is infested with plague). That is where Dragic would help you a lot, in theory. And honestly, I wouldn’t care which one of them started, or if either did. Having both players would give more opportunity to play multiple playmakers on the court at the same time. I also think they need a big who can create, because clearly Porzingis cannot. I also think they need an additional wing who can create. THJ is the closest thing right now.

Let me start by saying that I love Jalen's game.  He seems to be a professional and works on his game...he looks better every year.

But...did you see at the end of this last game when a long defender was on Jalen and trying on defense?...he pretty much pulled a Ty Terry and picked up his dribble at half court.

I think the concern about Jalens size and producing in the playoffs is a legitimate talking point.   I think it would be a mistake to pay someone a decent purse and then only be able to use them for first 3 quarters of a playoff game.

Love Love Love Jalens game.   Just wish I knew I could trust that his playmaking wouldnt get neutralized in a playoff setting by throwing a long, try-hard defender on him.
[-] The following 3 users Like dynamicalVoid's post:
  • ballsrchr, ItsGoTime, Kammrath
Like Reply
Losing JB for nothing would be a Scott level meltdown from me!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 01:47 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Would you foresee a situation where the Mavs take Luka off the ball and hand the reins to Brunson?

I mean, they did it on several possessions last night. This is basketball, not the fictional universe of Highlander - there can be more than one. Both players can handle, both players can shoot off the catch. The dream is to have at least three guys like that in your starting lineup and a couple more (good ones) on the bench.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 04:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean, they did it on several possessions last night. This is basketball, not the fictional universe of Highlander - there can be more than one. Both players can handle, both players can shoot off the catch. The dream is to have at least three guys like that in your starting lineup and a couple more (good ones) on the bench.
Yes! Exactly, if JB saw the want and need for another playmaker as a slight (I don’t think he did, I think this is fan narrative), he should never be allowed to build a team in a front office job!
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 02:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This has been speculated and predicted for at least a year here. I hope Nico is figuring this out!

So it has. But it appears now that people are giving us little "warnings" in the way of hints that Jalen may not be interesting in buying whatever the Mavs are selling. It may not be a matter that is solvable by Nico. Or, it may. Something to keep our eyes on, anyway.
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 04:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean, they did it on several possessions last night. This is basketball, not the fictional universe of Highlander - there can be more than one. Both players can handle, both players can shoot off the catch. The dream is to have at least three guys like that in your starting lineup and a couple more (good ones) on the bench.

Agree with all that. 

I guess my question is, if Brunson really wants to "run his own team," as opposed to serving as a backup/secondary point guard, is that even consistent with anything the Mavs can/should offer? It sounds like he wants to be the primary ball handler on his team, and I don't know if that's really in the cards here or not. 

It's not really an answerable question at this point, I know. Guess we'll see what develops soon enough.
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 10:36 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: First, "Besides Luka, what do they have?" = "Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" Having Luka is HUGE. 

Secondly, I think the Mavs are (or at least should be) a better team than the Spurs. SA is rebuilding, and I believe are predicted to win fewer than 30 games. Their (very talented) players are mostly young and inexperienced. The Mavs' mostly veteran roster is entering their third season together, largely unchanged. They have a leg up on knowing how to play together and how to play against other NBA teams.

One of the hallmarks of a contending team is the ability to impose their will on the weaker teams in the league. Arguably, it shouldn't have been necessary to pull a 5-point win out of the fire against a team of youngsters with no star. Last night, it was reported that Kidd was very nervous in the third quarter of the Houston game. He allegedly thought it was going to be a blowout, it was a tight game at that juncture, and he still had to put in Frankie and Moses to keep his word to play everyone. (Both players fortunately did very well.) He would have been subject to a lot of criticism for a gimmicky (but fun!) game plan if they had lost. Point being that Kidd thought this roster has the talent and skill to blow that level of team out, and that seems reasonable. 

I understand why you ask the question. I sadly acknowledge that it's reasonable and thought-provoking. My nightmare is that you are right and this team is really no better than the young, inexperienced squads that are expected to land in the lottery. At this point, I don't yet think our team is  iin that boat. If Luka is out for a substantial period of time, we'll get a live test of what we have without him, and I admit that I would be quite nervous about that. 

I did NOT intend to suggest that there are any easy or guaranteed wins, with or without Luka. If the Mavs (or any NBA team) chooses to relax against any other NBA team, they risk eating a slab of humble pie.

Mavsluvr. All I was trying to say is that you need bonafide 2nd stars to have an easy time with even what one might consider as inferior teams. Even the Warriors struggled last year though Steph was still at an high level. It is not just about injuries but also even when playing one guy cannot automatically compensate for everything around him.  

Plus given that our 2nd most talented player ( no matter how opinions are divided on him) did not play, this is the kind of game that is to be expected more often, though they might have some blowouts once in a while.
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 04:57 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Mavsluvr. All I was trying to say is that you need bonafide 2nd stars to have an easy time with even what one might consider as inferior teams. Even the Warriors struggled last year though Steph was still at an high level. It is not just about injuries but also even when playing one guy cannot automatically compensate for everything around him.  

Plus given that our 2nd most talented player ( no matter how opinions are divided on him) did not play, this is the kind of game that is to be expected more often, though they might have some blowouts once in a while.

Sorry if I missed your point, Hakeem. 

Totally agree that the drop-off in talent from Luka to anyone else on the team is massive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
Spurs beat the Bucks.  No team is a guaranteed victory. Especially not a pops coached one.
Like Reply