Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVERICKS 116, ROCKETS 106
(10-26-2021, 11:21 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yep, disastrous start of 1-9 from three for him this season. If he starts hitting them, that changes things. But generally I would rather develop FN and JG, as I think their ceilings are MUCH higher. 

But at least this: JRich isn't seeing the court, anything is better than that. Smile  JRich for BOS in 54 mins played is -16.3 (-10.2 defensively). He continues to be a team killer.
Not having to see JRich in a Mavs uniform is a satisfying consolation prize. But man I really think Sterling Brown is Jrich 2.0 just with a much cheaper contract and smaller role. Still I think Frank should get his minutes.
Like Reply
(10-27-2021, 12:50 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah, no way they brought RB in to play him so little.

1) I think Kidd is seeing what he has and what the "old" Mavs have first.

2) It feels like this roster was built with a trade in mind....is Dragic for DP the root of that? Or is it something we aren't thinking? KP? JB? DFS?

I do think a trade is coming, perhaps involving all 3 of those guys. I'm out on KP at this point. I just don't think he'll ever be consistently healthy ever again and even if he was, I don't think he'll ever be a true consistent 23ppg #2 option on a great NBA team so I think we should trade him if we can without having to give up a ton of assets. I LOVE JB and DFS, but I could see them on the move too. If Brunson's goal is to be a starting point guard and he can't start next to Luka, then our only option is to trade him as well or risk losing him for nothing which would be a disaster. I love DFS, but if it's looking like a team might want to overpay him in the offseason, then we should probably just trade him as well. Bullock is a perfect fit next to Luka and a better shooter than DFS, so I want him getting more minutes anyway which is difficult unless you play DFS at the 4.
Like Reply
Great start to your season ML!  Big Grin

KP can go 2 for 10 in twice the minutes as Boban, who even gets more boards in 1/2 the time.   KP is a core piece but Boban is a fan fave mascot?  Confused

Quote:Fan fave Boban was 5-5 from the field for 11 points, and delighted the crowd with his presence. Wouldn’t surprise me if he got a cameo in all the home games — such a beloved player! 
Like Reply
(10-27-2021, 07:17 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Great start to your season ML!  Big Grin

KP can go 2 for 10 in twice the minutes as Boban, who even gets more boards in 1/2 the time.   KP is a core piece but Boban is a fan fave mascot?  Confused

Well, maybe we'll see more of him. We know Kidd likes to go big, and you can't get any bigger than Bobi.
Like Reply
(10-27-2021, 07:31 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Well, maybe we'll see more of him. We know Kidd likes to go big, and you can't get any bigger than Bobi.

Maybe so but with guys like Powell and Maxi back healthy the Mavs have a pretty good and deep rotation of 5 men ahead of Boban so he's got an uphill climb for minutes.  If you need high % scoring production ... 

Shooting 100% from the field probably doesn't hurt though.  I know with Carlisle though it usually didn't matter how well he played one game, it was all how the matchup was perceived. 

The exception of course being the last Carlisle/Mavs playoff series where he thrust Bobi into Big/Big minutes with KP and again Marjanovic acquitted himself very well in his minutes.
Like Reply
(10-28-2021, 04:54 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Maybe so but with guys like Powell and Maxi back healthy the Mavs have a pretty good and deep rotation of 5 men ahead of Boban so he's got an uphill climb for minutes.  If you need high % scoring production ... 

Shooting 100% from the field probably doesn't hurt though.  I know with Carlisle though it usually didn't matter how well he played one game, it was all how the matchup was perceived. 

The exception of course being the last Carlisle/Mavs playoff series where he thrust Bobi into Big/Big minutes with KP and again Marjanovic acquitted himself very well in his minutes.

Yes, I agree that if Carlisle were still coaching, we would pretty well know where this is headed. With Kidd and his emphasis on playing big, I feel less certain predicting things. I will be very interested in the next couple of games, where KP is out and/or the team is facing a giant in Denver.
Like Reply
(10-27-2021, 07:31 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Well, maybe we'll see more of him. We know Kidd likes to go big, and you can't get any bigger than Bobi.

The offense is explosive with Bobi. Luka can get him in positions where he is nearly unstoppable. Without maybe even joking (maybe), Luka, and Bobis own offensive skills which are amazing, given how well he shoots and finishes around the rim, could even make Bobi an MVP. On one condition of course, that he can stay on the court and plays many minutes. What gets him back on the bench is that the offenses draw plays against him on defense, he is immobile and helpless, sometimes even when he is well positioned under the rim. And coaches hate that, they maybe feel they have been "outplayed" when Bobi is playing and seeing how the opponents draw plays to target Bobi on defense.

I always wonder if the best Mavs strategy indeed involves Bobi and figuring how to play him on defense. How about going zone full time? And letting Bobi defend around the rim, where he is least being a weakness for the team defense? Given how well the offense plays with Bobi, even if you find way to create a mediocore defense, the chances are big that you will win that game.

I don't buy much into the comments that Bobi cant play for many minutes. Never seen him exhausted like that, not more than other players. And in games with many minutes, remembering Clippers game, he showed no signs of fatigue. He can dominate even in playoffs.

This all comes down to weaknesses on defense. We saw it in last game. Our offense exploded, but it was also hurting us on the other end.

Bobi is my starter in the ideal lineup. You put your best offensive weapons on the court, and then you teach them how to play defense and help each other. That's my view at least. I see that as possibility. The opposite, thus placing your best defenders on the court and trying to teach them offense, is like declaring a defeat. I want to see the most unstoppable offensive lineup and then teaching these players to play together on defense throughout the season.

EDIT:

This is our best 5 offensive players. Make them play together. Find a defensive scheme where they can co-exist and play defense.

JB
THJ
Bullock
Luka
Bobi

On defense maybe Luka could play the PF role as he has size for it. JB/THJ/Bullock have the speed to switch and move in the zone. Maybe play zone all the time with this unit. See what happens. Maybe they destroy everyone. Maybe the opposite. Maybe it will be a complete disaster. Id like to see this. Rebounding wise, I dont think its worse than having DP in. Obviousgrly it's not the best defense in NBA. But this offense might be so great that it will dictate games. It would force majority of other teams to try adapt rather than opposite. And when coaches adapt, they tend to more often make mistakes then. They could score on potentially every possession and in multitude of ways.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
(10-28-2021, 05:24 PM)burekemde Wrote: The offense is explosive with Bobi. Luka can get him in positions where he is nearly unstoppable. Without maybe even joking (maybe), Luka, and Bobis own offensive skills which are amazing, given how well he shoots and finishes around the rim, could even make Bobi an MVP. On one condition of course, that he can stay on the court and plays many minutes. What gets him back on the bench is that the offenses draw plays against him on defense, he is immobile and helpless, sometimes even when he is well positioned under the rim. And coaches hate that, they maybe feel they have been "outplayed" when Bobi is playing and seeing how the opponents draw plays to target Bobi on defense.

I always wonder if the best Mavs strategy indeed involves Bobi and figuring how to play him on defense. How about going zone full time? And letting Bobi defend around the rim, where he is least being a weakness for the team defense? Given how well the offense plays with Bobi, even if you find way to create a mediocore defense, the chances are big that you will win that game.

I dont buy much into the comments that Bobi cant play for many minutes. Never seen him exhausted like that, not more than other players. And in games with many minutes, remembering Clippers game, he showed no signs of fatigue. He can dominate even in playoffs.

This all comes down to weaknesses on defense. We saw it in last game. Our offense exploded, but it was also hurting us on the other end.

Bobi is my starter in the ideal lineup. You put your best offensive weapons on the court, and then you teach them how to play defense and help each other. That's my view at least. I see that as possibility. The opposite, thus placing your best defenders on the court and trying to teach them offense, is like declaring a defeat. I want to see the most unstoppable offensive lineup and then teaching these players to play together on defense throughout the season.

Agree that defense is the issue. Although I believe someone conducted some statistical research that shows that Bobi's big body does deter players from attempting shots at the rim, at least to some degree. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see them try anything a time or two, tbh. But you can color me astounded if Bobi is a starter over any significant period of time at all. (I've been astounded before, so this doesn't mean it won't happen, lol). There is a philosophy among some coaches that it is best to start with a strong defensive unit. Our title team did that in the playoffs, starting DeShawn Stevenson and closing with Jason Terry. But it is TBD what view on that Kidd and Igor will adopt. 

Interesting points.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(10-28-2021, 05:47 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Agree that defense is the issue. Although I believe someone conducted some statistical research that shows that Bobi's big body does deter players from attempting shots at the rim, at least to some degree. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see them try anything a time or two, tbh. But you can color me astounded if Bobi is a starter over any significant period of time at all. (I've been astounded before, so this doesn't mean it won't happen, lol). There is a philosophy among some coaches that it is best to start with a strong defensive unit. Our title team did that in the playoffs, starting DeShawn Stevenson and closing with Jason Terry. But it is TBD what view on that Kidd and Igor will adopt. 

Interesting points.

Thx ML. Great points. In practice, in NBA, that probably works better to start your best defense just by former experiences you mention. My comment was inspired by some former NFL offenses with bad defenses, that still almost always win games, because they could outscore opponents.

What do you think about the above starting five? Would that work or they would be outplayed?
Like Reply
(10-28-2021, 05:56 PM)burekemde Wrote: Thx ML. Great points. In practice, in NBA, that probably works better to start your best defense just by former experiences you mention. My comment was inspired by some former NFL offenses with bad defenses, that still almost always win games, because they could outscore opponents.

What do you think about the above starting five? Would that work or they would be outplayed?

Luka-Brunson-THJ-Bullock-Bobi? 

Gosh, I can't say I've seriously considered that one, lol. But no time like the present for doing so. That unit would certainly contain a lot of offensive firepower. We may well see a Luka-Brunson-THJ-Bullock foursome run out there from time to time, when they see a need to go small. 

My initial reaction is that the five-man lineup listed might get pasted on the defensive end, and I'm not sure whether they would be able to rely on outscoring the opponent, especially since they seldom play together. Of course, your premise assumes that they would get substantial time together on the court, and that could matter. 

I don't know that I expect us to see much of that lineup, but I could see the first four with another big coming in situationally. And heck, I could even be wrong about Bobi!
Like Reply
(10-28-2021, 05:24 PM)burekemde Wrote: The offense is explosive with Bobi. Luka can get him in positions where he is nearly unstoppable. Without maybe even joking (maybe), Luka, and Bobis own offensive skills which are amazing, given how well he shoots and finishes around the rim, could even make Bobi an MVP. On one condition of course, that he can stay on the court and plays many minutes. What gets him back on the bench is that the offenses draw plays against him on defense, he is immobile and helpless, sometimes even when he is well positioned under the rim. And coaches hate that, they maybe feel they have been "outplayed" when Bobi is playing and seeing how the opponents draw plays to target Bobi on defense.

I don't buy much into the comments that Bobi cant play for many minutes. Never seen him exhausted like that, not more than other players. And in games with many minutes, remembering Clippers game, he showed no signs of fatigue. He can dominate even in playoffs.

Very nice Bobanalysis @"burekemde"  Big Grin  Some of the most insightful I've seen out here. Highlighted lines above. 

I totally agree that Luka + Boban is maybe an underappreciated 2 man game on offense.  I mean seriously Luka + Boban overall just off the top of my head has to be 5 to 10 times better performing offensively so far than Luka + KP, despite that fact that we're all eager to see the big dominance from the highly paid Wonderboy/Unicorn pairing.  

On defense, give me KP over Boban for rim protection, for sure which is why you want to see KP's offense come around but then when it comes to rebounding, offensive and defensive, its swings back firmly to Boban in my book, so there's that. 

My ideal usage has Boban not necessarily starting even though we saw him pretty solid last playoff starting against LAC.  I think Maxi and Powell in that order are better overall as 2-way centers which is what you want for the bulk or normal minutes. 
Where I think the huge opportunity is being mixed by Dallas is basically in situations where just scoring efficiently can be decisive in winning and closing games.   Runs where you need to hold a lead or turn the game for example in dry stretches, especially against good teams with tough defenses.  

You need elite offense to get a key bucket here or there against elite teams when they get the clutch.  
Luka + Boban is elite 2 man offense.  Not only that but Jalen + Boban isn't terribly far behind because Brunson is an efficient playmaker who makes smart decisions in general.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dahlsim's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(10-29-2021, 12:51 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Very nice Bobanalysis @"burekemde"  Big Grin  Some of the most insightful I've seen out here. Highlighted lines above. 

I totally agree that Luka + Boban is maybe an underappreciated 2 man game on offense.  I mean seriously Luka + Boban overall just off the top of my head has to be 5 to 10 times better performing offensively so far than Luka + KP, despite that fact that we're all eager to see the big dominance from the highly paid Wonderboy/Unicorn pairing.  

On defense, give me KP over Boban for rim protection, for sure which is why you want to see KP's offense come around but then when it comes to rebounding, offensive and defensive, its swings back firmly to Boban in my book, so there's that. 

My ideal usage has Boban not necessarily starting even though we saw him pretty solid last playoff starting against LAC.  I think Maxi and Powell in that order are better overall as 2-way centers which is what you want for the bulk or normal minutes. 
Where I think the huge opportunity is being mixed by Dallas is basically in situations where just scoring efficiently can be decisive in winning and closing games.   Runs where you need to hold a lead or turn the game for example in dry stretches, especially against good teams with tough defenses.  

You need elite offense to get a key bucket here or there against elite teams when they get the clutch.  
Luka + Boban is elite 2 man offense.  Not only that but Jalen + Boban isn't terribly far behind because Brunson is an efficient playmaker who makes smart decisions in general.

Great points Dahlsim. After yesterdays game Maxi's rim protection was just suddenly and magically back from that 2 seasons ago, where he blocked everyone entering the paint. And he is close to Bullocks shooting on offense I would say. I am today placing Bullock on the bench for Maxi so my ideal lineup looks now like this: JB, THJ, Luka, Maxi, Bobi. That's the best 5 skilled players on this team. That will be plenty of points. Even when all plays breaks down, as you point out the two man game of Luka and Bobi, will get the points on board. Maxi protecting the paint and Bobi rebounding. It would come down how we could play defense with Bobi and make the players around him move, to minimize Bobis defensive weaknesses. I definitely believe that should be possible, if practiced. In my view it was never emphasized to integrate a defense around Bobi and make a proper scheme for that. If that is done, he would likely see a lot more playing time. Great point in perhaps using Bobi in crucial situations to decide games. Like a joker in game of cards. Waiting for that best moment to use it.

EDIT: We are 3-1, despite that we have experimented with lineups and plays the teams didnt know and haven't executed well. That speaks volumes in how much potential the team has if the most efficient scheme around our best players is devised. I think that this team has a lot of potential to unlock if used correctly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply