Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I think we should kick the tires on Collin Sexton
I have been going back and forth over being comfortable in committing to him as a player but man this cat is exactly what we need. He can attack the rim and he can create. In other words, he does not need Luka to get his. 

Check out this highlight from a few days ago, his entire skillset was on display in this game. This is the guy we need to go after. He has a Jason Terry Nix Van Exel thing going on and again he is not scared of the moment. He is a dog. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYZ1t9PZUVQ&t=159s
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omega_Supreme's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(10-25-2021, 09:33 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I have been going back and forth over being comfortable in committing to him as a player but man this cat is exactly what we need. He can attack the rim and he can create. In other words, he does not need Luka to get his. 

Check out this highlight from a few days ago, his entire skillset was on display in this game. This is the guy we need to go after. He has a Jason Terry Nix Van Exel thing going on and again he is not scared of the moment. He is a dog. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYZ1t9PZUVQ&t=159s
I’ve been on this train for a while. Cleveland didn’t give him an extension so I think Dallas should be all over this.

Brunson/Powell/Green 2 2nds

For 

Sexton/Markkanen
Like Reply
Get new talent in here asap.

Ayton?  Sexton?

Whomever is gettable at a reasonable price and has reasonable talent....get them.   This current squad aint doing it, imo.   Unless there are some wrinkles that we are not being shown and we have some extra gear...I say get new talent in here as soon as possible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
It would be great to add players that can add more skills to our team. Both Sexton and Ayton would do that. Sexton seems as a better talent and more feel for the game.

Sexton adds pace, passing and playmaking and shooting in traffic. He is upgrade over THJ for sure. I would never trade Brunson however. Brunson is on an upwards trajectory and improving. THJ is not. Also Sextons skills are more overlapping with the one of THJ rather than the one from Brunson. I would definitely include THJ in such a trade compared to Brunson. Sexton adds that secondary playmaker which we really need.

Ayton adds a big that can rebound and play defense. It will give us more inside presence that we really need.

EDIT: Maybe im wrong on the above. After looking more into Sexton, he doesnt seem to be good at passing maybe? His assists are low and I read also that he is not the best passer perhaps. No doubt he can score and penetrate. Still would be great addition.
Like Reply
I just don't think you get rid of your best shooter in THJ.  No one else can shoot consistently.   THJ and Luka I keep...trade everyone else unless you acquire other shooters and then THJ and his contract can go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dynamicalVoid's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
We need a secondary ball handler and a long and versatile small forward.  Hopefully most people will agree with this.  Even if you don't...consider one thing, maybe two things.  I see a lot of posts talking about getting another player in the "bracket" we need AT a reasonable price.  It hasn't happened and I don't think it's going to happen...even with Luka on  the team.  So...I think we need to get THE player we need regardless of cost (within reason...haa).

Crazy?  I don't think so.  Once we get that first player I think the dam will be busted...and future players will be more apt to join the team, some may even fight to join the Mavs.  For a lot of reasons players seem avoid coming to the Mavs.  That dam has to be busted...
Like Reply
And your post is exactly why you don't abandon the draft or treat 2nd round picks like they're pennies.

Now we have people that are just ok with overpaying for players.  Nothing against you personally...but this could all be avoided if Mavs valued the draft a little more
Like Reply
I don't think we have the assets for Sexton even if CLE wanted to move him.

I have been thinking Kevin Love is high on my list if he is eventually bought out.  He has been a little up and down but looks like he had a good game last night.   His fit with the current team, but he would give us a big who you can pass the ball to and run motion off the ball.   I think this along with a big who can score when you give the ball to is a big need.   I think there is a chance he is bought out after the trade deadline, but probably not if CLE is battling for a play in spot.  

I have always been lukewarm on Rubio, but I got to admit the last few years he has really played well.   He hasn't played on good teams, so that makes the evaluation tricky.   But in the few times I have watched CLE for small stretches this year, he looks to be a guy helping his team when he is on the court.
Like Reply
On the reasonable price topic...

I guess I don't want to over pay with draft capital.  We need to value the draft more since vets don't want to come here in free agency...and trades eat up draft assets.

I'm all for just turning this roster over...acquiring draft assets while not overpaying for players.  

Any talent is better than what we have ha.  I'll take less talent on good contract...until we draft some good players.   This squad ain't cutting it
Like Reply
Overpaying leads to bad asset.  Bad asset leads to giving away draft picks to get out from under.

Man, lol, the draft is the way to go for the Mavs.  In my opinion
Like Reply
(10-26-2021, 08:12 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: And your post is exactly why you don't abandon the draft or treat 2nd round picks like they're pennies.

Now we have people that are just ok with overpaying for players.  Nothing against you personally...but this could all be avoided if Mavs valued the draft a little more

If you and the others are talking to me...I absolutely agree about using the draft.  But the Mavs haven't...for the most part.  I'm talking about getting a player we need now, but without giving away all our draft assets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(10-26-2021, 11:12 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: If you and the others are talking to me...I absolutely agree about using the draft.  But the Mavs haven't...for the most part.  I'm talking about getting a player we need now, but without giving away all our draft assets.

Yeah...player for player trades I'm interested in too.  Consolidate some of our guys for a single player...whatever.  Just get fresh talent to this team as soon as possible.  Fresh talent, even if it doesn't work, is the way to go.   We aren't winning with this current squad unless everyone's shot catches fire and stays on fire through playoffs.  And I don't see that happening
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/statu...01831?s=21

I like the idea of Sexton the more I think about it. He’d be so f’n legit next to Luka.
Like Reply