Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON GAME 1: UTA (0-2) @ DAL (1-0) | 111-101 WIN
(10-06-2021, 09:13 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Stretch 5 Boban

Where is @"KillerLeft"? He needs to witness Bobi´s greatness.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Is Carlik an NBA player?
Like Reply
(10-06-2021, 09:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Is Carlik an NBA player?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if we traded or cut Burke and Terry and just signed Carlik Jones.
Like Reply
(10-06-2021, 09:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Is Carlik an NBA player?

Or the next John Jenkins. If it comes down to the two-way spots I would prefer Hunt and Omoruyi over him. Mentioned it on discord. If Jones plays a good preseason and Terry continues to miss games I could see a scenario where he takes Terry´s spot.
Like Reply
Zero minutes for Burke. His name wasn´t on the pre game injury/rest list. Other older players like Boban got a few minutes in the 2nd half.
Like Reply
(10-06-2021, 09:47 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Zero minutes for Burke. His name wasn´t on the pre game injury/rest list. Other older players like Boban got a few minutes in the 2nd half.

Think that sends a clear message of what the Mavs/Kidd think of Burke and how motivated they are to move on from him
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
It is hard to "know" anything being it is pre-season and two starters were missing...

But, the biggest takeaway from last night for me was that Luka and KP were on the floor together almost the entire time they played.  If it holds, that's a fairly big departure from years past.  The pattern last night was a big and a wing are replaced by a big and a wing (WCS and S. Brown enter the game and join Luka/KP and THJ).  Then moments later Maxi and Brunson enter for KP/Luka (reinforcing the idea that Maxi is the backup four behind KP).  Interestingly, THJ is the last starter on the floor and gets some time with the bench guys before he was subbed out for Bullock.

It is hard to draw conclusions about how the starters get reworked into the game.  I suspect they got some extra time in the late first and second quarter last night since the plan was for them to sit the second half.  A normal rotation where Luka/KP play and sit together would be about 8 minutes on, 8 off and 8 on.  The key then is how do you survive the 8 minutes off.  One way is to leave THJ on with Brunson and 3 other bench guys for two-three minutes past where Luka and KP sub out.  Another is to bring Luka back a hair earlier than KP.  Now you are down to 3-4 minutes where Brunson, Brown, Bullock, Maxi and WCS have to hold down the fort without any help from the starters.  Boban could play a role here since the WCS for Powell sub comes fairly early.  It could actually be Boban/Maxi/Bullock/S. Brown and Brunson for a few before Luka returns for S. Brown (getting a few minutes with Brunson) and then the other starters filter back to finish the quarter.  

We didn't have DFS, so we really didn't get to see whether we'd spend any time with a single big (since DFS is kind of key to that lineup).  Something to watch for once we have everyone available.

One thing that was a holdover from the Carlisle years was players 11/12 on the depth chart jumped to starter status rather than someone from the 6-10 spots.  It keeps the rotation in tact rather than disrupting both the starters and the bench when someone is out.  It also gives this particular bench mob more time to work together.  I have no doubt we will win the Luka-On minutes.  The question for me has always been how do you win the Luka-Off minutes (especially if KP is also off at the same time).
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Jommybone, Kammrath, michaeltex, Tyler
Like Reply
(10-07-2021, 07:39 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Boban could play a role here

Kidd in the postgame joked about Bobi as a 6th man...It would be an interesting usage of Boban to see what a team O run through him looks like when KP/Luka are sitting. I would love to see that experiment just to see how it works, it is VERY intriguing to me. Can a Boban led team hold down the fort with Luka resting?
Like Reply
Good to see basketball back again.   I was most disappointed in Green last night.  He needs to be more than a 0 on offense.   Even when he was playing with the G-league guys he didn't show any offense.  A few times he tried to create he looked so rushed.   Playing with Luka, KP, and Hardaway he is going to be the fifth option, but he needs to find ways to get buckets when he has the chance.  When he is playing with the G-league guys he needs to be more of a factor.   He needs those reps.   Not sure how he gets them.

I am really intrigued by Hunt.   I like him more than Jones, who was also good last night.   Hunt may be one of the fastest players running the wing.   He needs plenty of development and if he doesn't improve his perimeter game he probably isn't an NBA player.  But if he does, he is an interesting prospect.  All in all, I was impressed with Eugene, Hunt, Jones, JRoc (even if he shots did not go in) and Moses.  All seemed to be mature out on the court and looked the part.
Like Reply
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1170011370

Some analyzing of the game from yesterday by B. Karalla
Like Reply
(10-07-2021, 08:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Good to see basketball back again.   I was most disappointed in Green last night.  He needs to be more than a 0 on offense.   Even when he was playing with the G-league guys he didn't show any offense.  A few times he tried to create he looked so rushed.   Playing with Luka, KP, and Hardaway he is going to be the fifth option, but he needs to find ways to get buckets when he has the chance.  When he is playing with the G-league guys he needs to be more of a factor.   He needs those reps.   Not sure how he gets them.

Haralabob really screwed up that draft.  You could blindfold someone and have them throw darts at a board of names and it would end up better than Green, Terry, and Bey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jesusshuttlesworth82's post:
  • embellisher
Like Reply
(10-07-2021, 07:55 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Kidd in the postgame joked about Bobi as a 6th man...It would be an interesting usage of Boban to see what a team O run through him looks like when KP/Luka are sitting. I would love to see that experiment just to see how it works, it is VERY intriguing to me. Can a Boban led team hold down the fort with Luka resting?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
I always felt Boban was underutilized by Carlisle.  Points in garbage time still show the ability to score.
Like Reply
(10-07-2021, 02:19 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Haralabob really screwed up that draft.  You could blindfold someone and have them throw darts at a board of names and it would end up better than Green, Terry, and Bey.

This was actually part of the friction between Donnie and Haralabob. Donnie insisted that his method of throwing darts at a board was sufficient for the draft, but Haralabob's analytics indicated that Donnie needed to add a blindfold to the process.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • ItsGoTime, LifeAquatic, michaeltex, SleepingHero, Tyler
Like Reply