Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of Freedom, Country and Vaccination
(10-08-2021, 07:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I tried to stay away from this thread because I knew that it would turn into a shit show. I am not on other social media platforms so I haven´t tried to argue with let´s say people with different views on the vaccine and COVID. I was tempted to just ignore the thread but read a few things about misinformation and the best way to dispute it. Bottom line. Just leaving it out in the open is not the way to go. And so I tried.

Maybe I could have done it in a more polite way but outside of our conversation I actually enjoyed the discussions @"Dahlsim". We obviously don´t have the same opinions but we can discuss them in a civil manner.
Not always fun but now I have committed and as long as threads like this exist on this board I will continue to make my case. I am not without fault and anyone is free to come to his own conclusions.
Really sorry about the number of quotes but this time I wanted to adress all points.

I consider the discussions here important and enlightening.  
The value of the topic and communications come precisely because thoughtful and detailed posters such as yourself @"dirkfansince1998" @"luka_skywalker_77" @"Jannemann2" @"TXBamanut" @"hakeemfaan" and so many others who have disagreements have taken time to post, research, share their own stories on a subject that involves health, life and death, the pursuit of happiness as the Declaration of Independence put it. 

Posters simply dropping in to call people Moron's or Covidiots are not so helpful imo but then it takes all types doesn't it?  Tongue 

Quote:Really sorry about the number of quotes but this time I wanted to adress all points.

Yeah, the detailed point by point analyses can get a bit time consuming.  I also strongly suspect very few people really follow the points closely.  
I say this based on the responses that often seem to miss the boat entirely on things that have already been covered pretty well on both sides of the debate. 

I think as time permits I'll try shorter replies as long as this conversation continues.  That has its own dangers but pick your poison.   Sick 
Let's try just this point. 

Quote:I think it is more about the style of presentation when it comes to your opinion and the people you quote.

I'm not sure what you mean by style but in terms of the people I generally like to avoid attacks based on the person rather than the issue and argument.  You might know that these types of points in discussion/debates lead to what is known in logic as   ad hominem arguments.  
https://examples.yourdictionary.com/ad-h...mples.html

Quote:ad hominem argument or argumentum ad hominem in Latin is used to counter another argument. However, it's based on feelings of prejudice (often irrelevant to the argument), rather than facts, reason, and logic. An ad hominem argument is often a personal attack on someone's character or motive rather than an attempt to address the actual issue at hand.

In this case because credibility on the topic is so central to the issue involving Medical Science on top of politics, the references I have posted included people with relevant education credentials and experience.  Someone like Dr. Michael Yeadon, former VP and chief scientist of Pfizer.  No matter if you put anti-vaxxer or any other generic label on people like this they are still appropriately credentialed from a education standpoint and they often also have specialized experience that is relevant to the debate.  

That is the point in referencing or quoting them.  I don't like to spend much time attacking the personal motives of people you and others have quoted or referenced no matter which side their arguments tend toward.  I prefer to examine the points made themselves, no matter who made it. 

Dr. Yeadon is also founder of Doctors for Covid Ethics with last I heard over 160 Medical and Research Experts from around the world. 
https://doctors4covidethics.org/
Quote:We are doctors and scientists from 30 countries, seeking to uphold medical ethics, patient safety and human rights in response to COVID-19.

We are doctors and scientists from 30 countries, seeking to uphold medical ethics, patient safety and human rights in response to COVID-19.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Of Freedom, Country and Vaccination - by omahen - 09-30-2021, 02:55 PM
RE: Of Freedom, Country and Vaccination - by Dahlsim - 10-09-2021, 06:17 AM