Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New board at SI
(07-25-2021, 05:58 PM)fifteenth Wrote: But not sure all that is equal to the beating he takes here.
I can agree with this. I think some of the vitriol is from people who didn’t like him all that much before the split too. He was starting to get a lot of heat for a lot of stuff he did towards the end.
Like Reply
(07-25-2021, 05:39 PM)THREE THINGS: Wrote: DING:

Any truth to the allegation/implication that dallasbasketball.com was indeed owned by Mark Cuban???

DING:

Were we truly saying that Flame was indeed Patricia Bender???

DING:

So we should have a poll where we figure out Fish's Mt Rushmore of unscrupulous Sports Media Members - center piece is Skipshot Bayless

On a personal level, Fish is an enjoyable interaction when he intends for their to be interaction with the common folks. IF Fish feels cornered, targeted, or greatly inconvenienced he can bristle with the best - 

SHOUT OUT TO TMAVFAN: I miss the donuts where posts were paraphrased and credit was given to the 75 member staff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(07-25-2021, 10:53 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: SHOUT OUT TO TMAVFAN: I miss the donuts where posts were paraphrased and credit was given to the 75 member staff.

I always like that guy.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth, SkenfromLMF
Like Reply
(07-25-2021, 11:06 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I always like that guy.

https://media.giphy.com/media/XZUbn0xBFi.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 3 users Like ClutchDirk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, fifteenth, SkenfromLMF
Like Reply
(07-25-2021, 06:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think that´s not only about the end of the last board but also about his content. I know that he needs to make some money but his content turned into 100% clickbait. No news. No breakdowns. No insight/leaks. A lot of Cowboys coverage and a few rushed articles when the Mavs are in the news (draft/trade deadline/playoffs).

That's exactly right. Fish was a grassroots Mavs guy for a long time and got there bc his stuff wasn't clickbait. He put out thoughtful content for many years and the boards were a great community. Then SI came along and just wanted monkeys pumping out clickbait. It's sad he took that bait, but here we are.
Like Reply
(07-25-2021, 04:56 PM)fifteenth Wrote: The original db.com was Fish starting his own business. SI.com was Fish actually getting paid. I can't criticize a business decision like that, even if the SI platform didn't allow for the forum to continue.

Right I think he made a bad decision. You see content creators able to more easily monetize content and community. You have Patreon and Youtube and podcasts and all that stuff. He took SI money instead of expanding his subs business and blew up his community following and reputation.
Like Reply
(07-26-2021, 02:58 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Right I think he made a bad decision. You see content creators able to more easily monetize content and community. You have Patreon and Youtube and podcasts and all that stuff. He took SI money instead of expanding his subs business and blew up his community following and reputation.

I know nothing about the economics of online communities. Could someone actually make more money by running a Mavs message board than by being paid to be a journalist?
Like Reply
1)  I don't hate Fish, but he can get his feelings hurt pretty easy and start making shut down mic drops that are not even close to be so...that's irritating and hilarious.  (His politics blinds his objectivity, but it happens to all of us often.)
2)  He blew it going with SI.com and ruining the community.
3)  I've been on iterations of db.com for about 20 years or so, and I'm fine right where we are.
4)  Fish doesn't deserve the crap he gets...but he did make a tactical error long term.

I don't think that board will spike back up, unfortunately.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
[-] The following 1 user Likes TXBamanut's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
In the battle of which is the better career decision, looks like we have 2 votes for "Run a Message Board" over "Journalist"
Like Reply
Interesting question. Will he reach out to the community or ignore that this board exists? He has to know where most of the former members of his board went. Easy to find us.
Like Reply
(07-26-2021, 03:08 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I know nothing about the economics of online communities. Could someone actually make more money by running a Mavs message board than by being paid to be a journalist?

Depends on the contract he has with SI. With enough fans/members/followers it is possible to make enough money with patreon, twitch, youtube or whatever subsciption option. With 95k twitter followers he is probably close to the range where it could work.
Like Reply
(07-26-2021, 03:17 PM)fifteenth Wrote: In the battle of which is the better career decision, looks like we have 2 votes for "Run a Message Board" over "Journalist"

I think it is not an even or situation, which is why many people feel betrayed. If he could make money hosting an ad driven board AND have it link back to the "content" driven journalist site MOST posters would understand and quite frankly support. He made a choice (or got bait and switched) to chase one over the other. My gut says he got hoodwinked and is now fairly defensive in discussing it. He is not likely to feel good about the response to the new board over there IF it is simply another board on level with LMF/dallas-mavs. His board was the biggest and it was probably only rivaled by RealGM. I see him having a hard time not blaming the members for not driving his new boards...
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
You are probably right that there would have been a way for him to still run a board somewhere if he wanted to and put in the effort.
Like Reply
(07-26-2021, 03:08 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I know nothing about the economics of online communities. Could someone actually make more money by running a Mavs message board than by being paid to be a journalist?

Nope but the message board helped drive traffic to the website just like Twitter. He did have a premium service too which brought in some revenue. I bet his ad rev from Google ads wasn't bad at all. I mean we were refreshing those ads non-stop.

The thing with SI is they I am sure offered a stable income in exchange for pumping out content and Fish did the math and here we are. It's sad. The thing that frustrates me the most is he could have still ran a board loosely affiliated with the website imo without breaking some contract. I don't think he tried hard enough or thought they could slap something together on SI's crufty system.
Like Reply
One thing @"DanSchwartzgan" could do if he ever wants to try something for fun is set up an account on Medium to write a long-form article that we can then debate and drive traffic to from the forum website. If he wrote one during busy season it might actually make a little bit of money.
Like Reply
(07-26-2021, 03:17 PM)fifteenth Wrote: In the battle of which is the better career decision, looks like we have 2 votes for "Run a Message Board" over "Journalist"

I think the lesson may be pick one or fail at both.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFansForLife/stat...43338?s=20
Like Reply
Is this the time of the year where we all launch our own community boards? We will probably run out of domains within a couple of days but I am in. TradeBurkeBoard.com. Don´t even try to steal it.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(07-26-2021, 10:55 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Is this the time of the year where we all launch our own community boards? We will probably run out of domains within a couple of days but I am in. TradeBurkeBoard.com. Don´t even try to steal it.

He's competing with Fish for readers...
Like Reply
(07-26-2021, 10:58 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: He's competing with Fish for readers...

Maybe it is time to start a Mavsboard twitter account. Just repost the best takes from the board.
[-] The following 5 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ClutchDirk, ItsGoTime, Jannemann2, KillerLeft, VintagePejav2
Like Reply