Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New board at SI
(07-22-2021, 11:19 PM)cow Wrote: Don't worry buddy, I'm hear to post mistakes so everyone looks better by comparison.

Not One, Not Two, Not Three, Not Four, Not Five....mistakes...per day.
I thought you said you would take back your LeBron hate?????

LIAR!
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 09:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:  
- The fact that Dan didn't write off the idea of a podcast is very promising to me (would love to hear if mavsluvr isn't too busy with a podcast of his own and being a guest on so many other podcasts on top of doing the TV broadcasts if he would like to join Dan). 

- Figuring out how to make a bit of money on this board so we can run monetary awarded contests and challenges (game tickets and apparel). Getting sponsors for said podcast to pay the casters and bring in money for the board to keep it healthy.

- Getting press passes would be another fun way to award posters too!

- Having board social media accounts could be fun.

- We're already a 1 stop shop for Mavs news, just need to make the news ourselves!

People who know me say I have a face for radio, so I've got that going for me.  Seriously, it is nice of you to keep writing this, but I'm probably not a candidate for a podcast until I retire in 2-3 years.  I'd be good for an occasional article, assuming I'm ever allowed to start threads again Smile .

All interesting ideas.  You guys who are in charge should do all the cool new things you can think of (other than pop-ups please).  But, if none of those things happen, I'm more than happy to throw some money in the kitty every now and then to keep things going.  I'm pretty pleased with the way things are right now.
[-] The following 10 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ClutchDirk, Dahlsim, fifteenth, Hypermav, ItsGoTime, Jannemann2, khaled1987, KillerLeft, MFFL, michaeltex
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 10:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Be nice to DLord. He allegedly posts here and I like his stuff.

I like DLord as well. A lot. I would love it if they posted here. I don’t think Fish or anyone else meant to leave us in the lurch. They tried to make a living and that didn’t work for us. Probably no ill intent.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReunionMav's post:
  • cow, fifteenth
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 11:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You're on a real "the decision" kick today!

I cackled like a schoolboy creating that image earlier today.

(07-22-2021, 11:28 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I thought you said you would take back your LeBron hate?????

LIAR!

It could be worse. I could be Dan Gilbert.
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 11:30 PM)ReunionMav Wrote: I like DLord as well. A lot. I would love it if they posted here. I don’t think Fish or anyone else meant to leave us in the lurch. They tried to make a living and that didn’t work for us. Probably no ill intent.

I don't blame anyone for the hustle.  Chasing clicks and ad revenue is a hell I'm glad I've never had to experience.  And to be fair, a lot of places ditched message boards for blog styled comments or other social platforms like Discord.  I'm just an old internet junky and find most things outside of old fashioned message boards difficult to read.
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 11:38 PM)cow Wrote: I don't blame anyone for the hustle.  Chasing clicks and ad revenue is a hell I'm glad I've never had to experience.  And to be fair, a lot of places ditched message boards for blog styled comments or other social platforms like Discord.  I'm just an old internet junky and find most things outside of old fashioned message boards difficult to read.
Ya, I can't keep up with the fast paced messaging type reading. Discord for game threads are great though IMO, just not as an all the time communication piece.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • SkenfromLMF
Like Reply
I've just registered for this Board. Used to be on DB.com a while back. Dunno what to do, but Hello!
[-] The following 6 users Like Roddyb3's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth, KillerLeft, ReunionMav, SleepingHero, StepBackJay
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 01:12 AM)Roddyb3 Wrote: I've just registered for this Board. Used to be on DB.com a while back. Dunno what to do, but Hello!
Welcome RoddyB!

Interesting you pop as soon as RC gets the boot.... Perhaps RoddyB really did need to be freed
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Fish had his chance to keep us...but decided to take another road--without us.  I'm happy here.  Good format.  Good people.  Good discussions.  Yeah...I miss Dlord and a few others, but we do fine.  I'll donate more later if needed.  This is "Our" board...not some clickbaiter chasing a dollar.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • StepBackJay
Like Reply
I'm from the old board. I loved DB.com before and has seen its many iterations. The one I always remember was the time when 1TechSan, DLord, Pepperfletch, TMacsOneGoodEye, Balkis, Suk were in it. There's a few others I have forgotten, but that's a wacky colorful bunch with so much love for basketball and the Mavs (except for TMAC of course).

But I must say, this new board, this new group (well, not really new),  is closer to what DB.com feels like.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • jerryjohnson, Roddyb3, StepBackJay
Like Reply
Welcome new members to the always free, no clickbait, no ads MavsForum. We have the best group of insane fans you will ever meet. Please thank your mods early and often because they make this whole experience amazing.
[-] The following 4 users Like StepBackJay's post:
  • BasketballJones41, ClutchDirk, Jannemann2, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(07-22-2021, 11:30 PM)ReunionMav Wrote: I like DLord as well. A lot. I would love it if they posted here. I don’t think Fish or anyone else meant to leave us in the lurch. They tried to make a living and that didn’t work for us. Probably no ill intent.

According to Dan, DLord does post here some. I don't know his ID though. I'm betting Fish checks in regularly also. Fish didn't really break any news and he seemed to abandon the MAV community once the draft and early FA was done to focus on Cowboys news. Even after the season started, Mavs news was spotty until they became non-relevant to the current season (around Thanksgiving usually).

I think I understand why Fish made the move to SI, but it certainly didn't work out for the community that gelled around the original boards. I lay a lot of that at the feet of SI itself, or it's newest owner, Meridith Corp. Typical of an investor buyer, their first move is to strip out everything they can to maximize short term returns and make the purchase look smart. This usually means gutting current staff and functions:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/sports-illu...202752039/

Followed by confusion, chaos and voluntary departures by the better survivors:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/20...its-chaos/

So I, for one, am elated that this board is here and tremendously value the contributions everyone brings, even if I totally disagree with your point. No popups, no ads, no trolls, respectful (mostly) discussions and debates and a great team of participant moderators!
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • ClutchDirk, ReunionMav
Like Reply
I don't see the point in going back to SI.  The best people are already here.  I don't wish ill will towards Fish, but he can be real snarky at times.
[-] The following 3 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BasketballJones41, ClutchDirk, StepBackJay
Like Reply

1. Alright we need to ferret out DLord’s posts. I bet I can do it because of his excellent thinking style now that I know to look for him. If he still gets paid on the Fish site I guess he would have to hide if he posted here. I can’t believe that MavsLuvr posts here. Our overall expertise level is pretty awesome. 
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 05:22 PM)ReunionMav Wrote:
  1. Alright we need to ferret out DLord’s posts. I bet I can do it because of his excellent thinking style now that I know to look for him. If he still gets paid on the Fish site I guess he would have to hide if he posted here. I can’t believe that MavsLuvr posts here. Our overall expertise level is pretty awesome. 

It's well known who DLord is (speculated to be) here. 

Whether the poster is or is not DLord, the fact is he doesn't wish to go by DLord here (for whatever reason), which is fine by most of us. Many of us have opted to maintain a high level of anonymity in this community over the years, and I'm not sure it makes sense to out anyone unless necessary, like if they're writing articles or something. 

Even Mark Followil goes by @"mavsluvr", so there's a precedent for this.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ClutchDirk, ItsGoTime, Jannemann2
Like Reply
The Fish resentment surprises me. Was he actually rude to someone? I thought he just got snookered like everybody else who thought they were inking a deal with Sports Illustrated only to have Maven swoop in and turn it into the clickbait crap it is today. They wouldn’t support his board. He had a contract to fulfill. What’s a guy to do? 

DLord, on the other hand, actually calls himself DLORD. So yeah, I for one can understand why there might be some reaction to the, um, attitude implicit in many of his posts over there. No clue who he might be here.
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 05:51 PM)Jommybone Wrote: DLord, on the other hand, actually calls himself DLORD.

That's because his name is David Lord.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 05:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's well known who DLord is (speculated to be) here. 

Whether the poster is or is not DLord, the fact is he doesn't wish to go by DLord here (for whatever reason), which is fine by most of us. Many of us have opted to maintain a high level of anonymity in this community over the years, and I'm not sure it makes sense to out anyone unless necessary, like if they're writing articles or something. 

I always like DLord. Seemed like a nice guy to me. Fish does too. He was just trying to make money on his reporting so he could stay doing it full time. If you don't ask you'll never get the clicks and cash. Doesn't mean it's wrong. 

I think this is by far the best version of the forum though. I think I've been on here since 2008-2009 I believe. Something like that anyway.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 4 users Like audiosway's post:
  • Hypermav, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, StepBackJay
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 05:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's well known who DLord is (speculated to be) here. 

I get anonymity and privacy. I know we will mostly all respect that. I am apparently not in the group who well knows things here I guess. As I said now that I know to look I will figure it out. I suppose I could look over there but I can barely keep up with it news here. 

Again I love this board
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReunionMav's post:
  • Hypermav
Like Reply
(07-23-2021, 05:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's because his name is David Lord.

Thats it. I figured it out.

KillerLeft is actually THE David Lord. Makes so much sense now.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ClutchDirk, KillerLeft
Like Reply