Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(06-28-2022, 06:00 PM)sefant Wrote: Probably dumping Kleber too, when the tax bill is too much.

I think this is a very likely scenario this time next summer. He'll be gone, too, unless Wood flames out.
Like Reply
Mark Cuban is not willing to pay to put a winning team around Luka
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 05:47 PM)Branduil Wrote: Seriously though, can you think of any other franchise where the 2nd-best player just leaves after a successful WCF run?

Kawhi, a couple of times?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 06:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this is a very likely scenario this time next summer. He'll be gone, too, unless Wood flames out.

I keep saying every offseason, that the Mavs were on a short leash and they can't keep making mistakes.    They had a great run during the season but it appears we will have a much tougher road ahead.

At least will won't screw up Wood if he balls here and is an UFA next offseason     Huh Huh
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 05:16 PM)Branduil Wrote: Offseason grade is about to officially be an F

Mark Cuban and Nico Harrison: "Re-signing Jalen Brunson is our #1 priority."

Jalen Brunson signs with the Knicks.

Easily an F.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 06:16 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: "Re-signing Jalen Brunson is our #1 priority."
Like Reply
I agree with the decision to not spend “whatever it takes” to retain Brunson. The dumb teams are the ones constantly signing players to untradeable contracts. The Mavericks are lucky to have salvaged what they could for Porzingis. Comparing the Mavericks’ spending patterns to the 4-time NBA champion Warriors and their 3-future-HOF core is ridiculous.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VintagePejav2's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 06:33 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I agree with the decision to not spend “whatever it takes” to retain Brunson. The dumb teams are the ones constantly signing players to untradeable contracts. The Mavericks are lucky to have salvaged what they could for Porzingis. Comparing the Mavericks’ spending patterns to the 4-time NBA champion Warriors and their 3-future-HOF core is ridiculous.

The Knicks and Kings just entered the room...
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 06:33 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I agree with the decision to not spend “whatever it takes” to retain Brunson. The dumb teams are the ones constantly signing players to untradeable contracts. The Mavericks are lucky to have salvaged what they could for Porzingis. Comparing the Mavericks’ spending patterns to the 4-time NBA champion Warriors and their 3-future-HOF core is ridiculous.

25 million a year from a starting point guard isn't too bad these days
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 06:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think this is a very likely scenario this time next summer. He'll be gone, too, unless Wood flames out.

Wood will play well and price himself out of Cubans range like JB did. It’s about money, flexibility - not talent acquisition.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 06:41 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: 25 million a year from a starting point guard isn't too bad these days

I wish Luka only cost us $25M.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 07:00 PM)cow Wrote: I wish Luka only cost us $25M.

Good news, he'll cost us nothing when he forces his way out 3 years from now.
Like Reply
So if we are going to try to sign Hardy to a contract that includes bird rights and makes him restricted, we have to eat into the tax MLE.  That means most of the players that are on the edge of available for the tax MLE are not in our price range.  I would not be surprised if this offseason finishes with giving Dragic the rest of the tax MLE and signing a vet min big.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 08:35 PM)mvossman Wrote: So if we are going to try to sign Hardy to a contract that includes bird rights and makes him restricted, we have to eat into the tax MLE.  That means most of the players that are on the edge of available for the tax MLE are not in our price range.  I would not be surprised if this offseason finishes with giving Dragic the rest of the tax MLE and signing a vet min big.

That's what we've been saying all day. 

Dragic gets part, Hardy gets part. There's no single, exciting, impact player coming for the full TPMLE. 

@"dirkfansince1998" is going to lose it. It's going to be Burke/Tyrell Terry all over again. Dragic is way better than Burke, so that part is cool, but the only way they're getting something like the level of some of these guys is through trade.
Like Reply
Dwight Howard two years too late.  At least Cuban will not need to make a new recruiting cartoon.

(06-28-2022, 08:29 PM)Branduil Wrote: Good news, he'll cost us nothing when he forces his way out 3 years from now.

3 Years?  Someone's optimistic.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 08:40 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's what we've been saying all day. 

Dragic gets part, Hardy gets part. There's no single, exciting, impact player coming for the full TPMLE. 

@"dirkfansince1998" is going to lose it. It's going to be Burke/Tyrell Terry all over again. Dragic is way better than Burke, so that part is cool, but the only way they're getting something like the level of some of these guys is through trade.

I have grown numb. Cannot even find the motivation to post right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Can we hire Luka's mom as an assistant and get ahead of the curve?
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 08:43 PM)cow Wrote: Can we hire Luka's mom as an assistant and get ahead of the curve?

Maybe we can hire GP II´s dad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 08:43 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe we can hire GP II´s dad.

My love for Jordan will not allow it, sorry.
Like Reply
Any future roster ideas need to made with the truth in mind, which is that Cuban will never spend significant money on salaries. Start thinking of ways to dump guys for nothing instead of goofy ideas like "adding talent" or "improving the rotation."
[-] The following 2 users Like Branduil's post:
  • RasheedsBigWhiteSpot, sterlingmallory
Like Reply