Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(06-24-2022, 02:31 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: So.. Kyrie Irving? Malcolm Brogdon?
I don’t think either of them goes well with JB and SD on the team. Wonder where we trade SD so one of those guys can come in off the bench?
Like Reply
In regards to Brunson, I don't think anything's really changed.  If he wants to be the lead guy on a team then that's always been something that the Mavs can't offer that NY can.  If he wants to get paid then that's still something that the Mavs can offer that NY can't.

I think over the next week there's going to be a lot of reports/opinions that NY is a strong (maybe even leading) contender for Brunson's services - if there weren't then his agent wouldn't be doing his job.

I personally think it's going to end up with Brunson quickly signing a contract with the Mavs that's probably higher than what he would have signed had NY never been involved.  That gets him the most $$$ and the best chance of winning if those are the things he's looking for, and if those aren't his top priorities then the Mavs were never really in the competition to begin with.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/jakelfischer/status/...43909?s=21&t=etseaACIc8J6oIcHSid2Rg

I think Brunson walks and the Mavs go hard after Gary Harris or GP2 with the TMLE and the promise of a starting role.
Like Reply
Well, well. So now we have rumor that Brunson might prefer to be the lead guard. Coming from a very credible source, Stein is far from anyones mouthpiece. Something which was actually rumored before, but people chose to ignore it. I still hope Mavs are able to pull it off. 

If it comes to it, SnT return is unfortunately very low at this point, as NY already has most of cap space. I doubt Mavs could even salvage their own pick back, since all NY has to do is not guarantee Gibson and trade Reddish (they might even get something in return for him). We might get to a point to compensate Knicks to do a SnT, like Boston did with Hayward, for example.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 02:18 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: I do too. Not giving him the 4/55 in Jan when his dad came back to us with one final chance is inexcusable if true. He owes us nothing.

Cuban is still the smartest person in the room even if he outsmarts himself.
Like Reply
I find it very interesting how all bad things seem to be on Cuban and all good on Nico Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • Mapka, mvossman, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 03:07 PM)omahen Wrote: I find it very interesting how all bad things seem to be on Cuban and all good on Nico Smile

Point well made and taken
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 03:07 PM)omahen Wrote: I find it very interesting how all bad things seem to be on Cuban and all good on Nico Smile

Cuban's track record on such things is undeniable ...

ALL the big botched Mav decisions have been Cuban -- being the "smartest guy in the room"....
Nash.
Tyson Chandler.
Antetkounmpo.

When bad things happen now, involving contracts and roster-building, it's fair to assume Cuban's involvement. He's earned that.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • MrGoat, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
IMO, Fischer had no new news in his latest Callin session.

1. As of Monday, multiple players and agents were all talking about how it's a "done deal" that Brunson is staying in Dallas.
2. The doubts we're hearing today are reporters reacting to the Knicks moves yesterday. He hears NY will offer 4/$110.
3. Notably, Fischer never said that any of his sources have changed their tune from Monday.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
I doubt that the Knicks will clear any further capspace. They are in the threat zone now. If Brunson agrees to join them the first step will be to engage the Mavs in S&T talks.

If the Knicks truly want to get rid of Julius Randle, then you have to take him. It likely means you also get to dump Powell in the process.

Other options include combinations of Noel, Reddish, Quickley and Grimes.

I´d actually be positive, we could at least get something back in return. It would cost the Knicks at least one 1st round pick to clear the necessary capspace to sign Brunson outright.

Under these circumstances, I´m more interested whether Kyrie would opt-in and the Nets take back Dinwiddie/THJ.

Doncic
Kyrie
DFS
Randle
Wood

Four guys that can go off for 30 any night. Flashbacks to the Walker-Jamison era.Tongue
Like Reply
My read, piecing together multiple pieces of information:

Cuban has a limit and it was around 4 years for $85M-$95M.

New York’s offer could be as high as $110 over 4 years. Dallas will have to clearly beat that offer to retain Brunson.

Despite reaching the WCF, I don’t believe Cuban thinks the roster is worthy of the tax bill that would come. He’s going to let Brunson walk - they’ll sign the best wing they can for the TMLE (guess: Gary Harris) and Dragic at the minimum.
[-] The following 2 users Like VintagePejav2's post:
  • KillerLeft, Okstate819
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 04:59 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Despite reaching the WCF, I don’t believe Cuban thinks the roster is worthy of the tax bill that would come. He’s going to let Brunson walk - they’ll sign the best wing they can for the TMLE (guess: Gary Harris) and Dragic at the minimum.

This is a reasonably plausible prediction. 

If Brunson walks, I believe we'll be able to trace it back to the root idea that Cuban didn't want to pay as much as someone else, just like what happened with Nash. 

To be clear, I still think Brunson is back - that's my prediction. 

But, if he's not, I'm going to be PISSED. I can already read the posts about how the Mavs will somehow be better off without him, but it won't be true.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DrMav, Smitty, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is a reasonably plausible prediction. 

If Brunson walks, I believe we'll be able to trace it back to the root idea that Cuban didn't want to pay as much as someone else, just like what happened with Nash. 

But, if he's not, I'm going to be PISSED. I can already read the posts about how the Mavs will somehow be better off without him, but it won't be true.

Yep, I see it as value Brunson contract > Max Brunson contract >>>>>>>> no Brunson
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • DrMav, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is a reasonably plausible prediction. 

Cuban stated a few years back that it was his job to "create revenue" so the Mavs could successfully compete, but, since 2011 he's been in a "penny-pinching" mode, made even harder with no more "Dirk discounts."
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:21 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: Cuban stated a few years back that it was his job to "create revenue" so the Mavs could successfully compete, but, since 2011 he's been in a "penny-pinching" mode, made even harder with no "Dirk discounts."

My take is that he's been judicious about when and how he handles salary. Now that he has a very real contender, I expect him to go full-out. If he doesn't, I'll change my tune. But this is the moment where you dive head first over the tax line.

I suppose it's possible Brunson decides to leave, but it doesn't change the need to go over the tax line if it truly adds weight to your roster.

I'm eager to see what he's going to do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:26 PM)Winter Wrote: My take is that he's been judicious about when and how he handles salary. Now that he has a very real contender, I expect him to go full-out. If he doesn't, I'll change my tune. But this is the moment where you dive head first over the tax line.

I suppose it's possible Brunson decides to leave, but it doesn't change the need to go over the tax line if it truly adds weight to your roster.

I'm eager to see what he's going to do.

Mark also had a very real contender in 2011. Has he fundamentally changed since then?
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 02:55 PM)omahen Wrote: Well, well. So now we have rumor that Brunson might prefer to be the lead guard. Coming from a very credible source, Stein is far from anyones mouthpiece. Something which was actually rumored before, but people chose to ignore it. I still hope Mavs are able to pull it off. 

If it comes to it, SnT return is unfortunately very low at this point, as NY already has most of cap space. I doubt Mavs could even salvage their own pick back, since all NY has to do is not guarantee Gibson and trade Reddish (they might even get something in return for him). We might get to a point to compensate Knicks to do a SnT, like Boston did with Hayward, for example.

When I did the math, I came up with them needing to move either Burks or Noel (on top of letting Gibson go) to get to $25mm worth of space.  Your point is still the same.  NY can pay someone to take one of those guys (they have five picks in 2023) or they can give us the same deal to participate in the S&T (assuming Brunson agrees to NY’s offer).  Since he’s UFA, there isn’t an offer sheet.  NY can announce a deal five minutes after FA opens and work out the details in the coming days.

IF we don’t play along our depth chart is now:

Bigs:  Wood/Maxi/Powell
WIngs:  DFS/Bullock/THJ
Ball Handlers: Luka/SD/(Dragic?)

So the question may end being whether to play along with NY or not.  With Green, Frank, Hardy and Pinson on the bench, Burks seems redundant.  Would we rather have Noel for a year (with team control for a second if we wish) or nothing?  Would NY have to pay something to trade Noel to a cap room team?  If so, presumably, they would pay the same to us.  To me, it comes down to what money does Dragic want.  If he wants $6mm, then Noel might be helpful.  If Dragic wants the minimum, then it might come down to Noel vs a TP-MLE Center like Hartenstein or Smith.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:29 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Mark also had a very real contender in 2011. Has he fundamentally changed since then?

Don't know. But the tax line limits you as an owner, so you need to be careful. I wouldn't call him a penny-pincher until the Brunson saga is officially over.
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 02:55 PM)omahen Wrote: Well, well. So now we have rumor that Brunson might prefer to be the lead guard. Coming from a very credible source, Stein is far from anyones mouthpiece. Something which was actually rumored before, but people chose to ignore it. I still hope Mavs are able to pull it off. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is we would have to clear a butt ton of cap space to even do a S & T because it would hard cap us and we are a fair bit over the apron. So we're probably not getting Burks and Noel back for Brunson. 

I think there's a real chance he leaves. If anything can go wrong for Dallas in free agency it usually will. If that happens I think THJ becomes a keeper, the offense actually performed better the year before when he was frequently the second option and I think that's where we'd have to find the scoring punch
Like Reply
(06-24-2022, 05:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: When I did the math, I came up with them needing to move either Burks or Noel (on top of letting Gibson go) to get to $25mm worth of space.

Burks just had foot surgery... so it's hard to say if he will be in play.
Like Reply