Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(05-17-2022, 11:17 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I’m interested in taking a cheap flyer on Isaac for sure. But right now I’m still in the business of getting Markkanen to Dallas. And if I remember correctly you were on that bandwagon with me this last summer. So what do you think about this latest draft night deal I’ve concocted:

Cavs-Jermai Grant
Mavs-Lauri Markkanen 
Pistons-14+26 Powell/Brown

And then of course we could use the TPE or taxpayer MLE to add another big.

What is the thought with Lauri?  Are you playing him at center?  He can't really protect the rim.  I get the impression that the direction of this team is to go away from 7 footers who are not particularly quick laterally, especially at the 4 spot.  Don't really want to spend our limited assets on a player like this when center is a much bigger need.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 07:56 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Isaac played his last basketball game on Jan 3rd. 2020!!!

Isaac last played on August 2nd, 2020. Not that it's any better, but a difference of 7 months. 

There are some serious concerns about his desire to play basketball for a living. It doesn't take 2 years to recover from an ACL tear.

At some point his lack of motivation to rehab properly has to be take into account. And I also think it means his value is a lot lower than what we all think it is.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 09:30 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Isaac last played on August 2nd, 2020. Not that it's any better, but a difference of 7 months. 

There are some serious concerns about his desire to play basketball for a living. It doesn't take 2 years to recover from an ACL tear.

At some point his lack of motivation to rehab properly has to be take into account. And I also think it means his value is a lot lower than what we all think it is.
Smells like another Parsons Project to me.
Like Reply
I asked on discord but no one responded...

Am I mis-remembering what Jaxson Hayes has had runs on with the law for?  Hasn't it been twice already and if I'm not mistaken both involved domestic disputes with his girl?

When he was tazed...wasn't he drunk fighting with his girl and she called the cops?

Anyway...I keep sewing his name pop up...but I thought dallas was having to stay clear of guys like Hayes for PR reasons.

Maybe I'm wrong about his run ins with law.

Yall sleeping on Gordon.  I think he would be fairly cheap to acquire and the production/fit would drive the benefits way past the costs.  My opinion though

Dude is fine defensively. I hope his value keeps going down
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 09:12 AM)mvossman Wrote: What is the thought with Lauri?  Are you playing him at center?  He can't really protect the rim.  I get the impression that the direction of this team is to go away from 7 footers who are not particularly quick laterally, especially at the 4 spot.  Don't really want to spend our limited assets on a player like this when center is a much bigger need.
Yeah I would start him at center. I know what his reputation is but I’ve watched him quite a bit since he’s been in the league and the idea that he’s slow footed just isn’t correct. He actually moves his feet and covers ground almost as well as DP and Maxi. I wouldn’t confuse him for a rim protector or anything but he can do a lot of what they do at center plus give you a whole different level of production on offense. And he and Maxi can play next to each other I think pretty well. I know most here won’t agree with my assessment and that’s OK. I’m willing to die on this hill.
Like Reply
Can someone comment on Pinson?

He's obviously well liked by the organization and has played well in the G League. I know he's on a 2-way, but is he expected to compete for a regular contract next season? Does he have an upside that is worth developing? Is he expected to be healthy by training camp? 

Just trying to determine if he contributes to resolving some of the depth issues with the wing position. Is he good enough to allow THJ and or Burke to get traded?
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 01:53 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Can someone comment on Pinson?

He's obviously well liked by the organization and has played well in the G League. I know he's on a 2-way, but is he expected to compete for a regular contract next season? Does he have an upside that is worth developing? Is he expected to be healthy by training camp? 

Just trying to determine if he contributes to resolving some of the depth issues with the wing position. Is he good enough to allow THJ and or Burke to get traded?

I would say that he is not (and likely will never be) good enough to have any impact on roster decisions.  For that matter, the same could probably be said of Burke.
Like Reply
I have a question and I didn’t know where else to put it so sorry if this was the wrong spot. I saw a lot of people sharing that booker and Paul shot very poorly when they were guarded by Frank but I don’t recall the exact numbers. Where would I go to look something like that up? To see how a player does when guarded by a specific Defender? And also is there anyway to look up for example, Maxi’s offensive and defensive numbers at PF versus when he’s at center?
Like Reply
I think Pinson is as close to being out of the league as he is a contributing rotation player on a playoff team. I’ve floated this idea here or elsewhere before, but I wonder if they make him an offer to be a part of the coaching staff sooner than later.
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 09:47 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I asked on discord but no one responded...

Am I mis-remembering what Jaxson Hayes has had runs on with the law for?  Hasn't it been twice already and if I'm not mistaken both involved domestic disputes with his girl?

When he was tazed...wasn't he drunk fighting with his girl and she called the cops?

Anyway...I keep sewing his name pop up...but I thought dallas was having to stay clear of guys like Hayes for PR reasons.

Yall sleeping on Gordon.  I think he would be fairly cheap to acquire and the production/fit would drive the benefits way past the costs.  My opinion though

Dude is fine defensively. I hope his value keeps going down

He got into a dispute with cops and the bodycam footage is released. It could be a potential blocker as bad PR for the Mavs. The girl wasn't reacting like someone that was a victim in the video though. I think he gets a court ruling in June. He wasn't suspended or given any sort of punishment and was in the starting lineup for the playoffs.
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 09:47 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I asked on discord but no one responded...

You're not misremembering it. He was charged with a domestic violence charge, resisting arrest, and assaulting a police officer. There is video evidence of him drunkenly resisting officers. 

As to what has come of that, I don't know. Given the history of multi-million dollar athletes avoiding prison time for those types of charges I don't think it matters much other than bringing up the question do you want to bring that character into the locker room. I also can see the headlines now: Dallas has a domestic violence head coach, an owner that overlooks sexual assault, and now have a player who commits domestic violence.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 02:19 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: Frank but I don’t recall the exact numbers. Where would I go to look something like that up? To see how a player does when guarded by a specific Defender? And also is there anyway to look up for example, Maxi’s offensive and defensive numbers at PF versus when he’s at center?

If you don't have proprietary software like Second Spectrum or ShotTracker, it's quite hard. Statmuse the website is pretty good at finding some obscure stats without you having to scour info.

I'd say the most reliable and accurate way would be to go back through the NBA stat tracker and watch the videos of every devin booker shot and count how many he scored/missed while Frank was guarding him throughout the series. Tedious, but not impossible.

Just to get a head start I went back and looked for you. I only did games 3-7 and only had time for Booker. 

Booker shot 1-5 while being primarily guarded by Frank in those games. In fact, after reviewing the film, Bullock and Maxi were the best defenders as they were apart of almost every miss.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
The starting C (Powell), and the 2 bench rotation spots around Dinwiddie and Kleber (i.e. Frank and Bertans) felt especially weak tonight.
Like Reply
(05-18-2022, 07:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If you don't have proprietary software like Second Spectrum or ShotTracker, it's quite hard. Statmuse the website is pretty good at finding some obscure stats without you having to scour info.

I'd say the most reliable and accurate way would be to go back through the NBA stat tracker and watch the videos of every devin booker shot and count how many he scored/missed while Frank was guarding him throughout the series. Tedious, but not impossible.

Just to get a head start I went back and looked for you. I only did games 3-7 and only had time for Booker. 

Booker shot 1-5 while being primarily guarded by Frank in those games. In fact, after reviewing the film, Bullock and Maxi were the best defenders as they were apart of almost every miss.
Thank you
Like Reply
The good news is that the Mavs have figured out the right way to build around Luka. I think they're just a couple guys short. Right now the Mavs have

-1 Superstar
-1 (young) star
-1 sixth man
-3 reliable role players (DFS/Maxi/Bullock)

I think in the long run, to build the kind of perennial contender a guy like Luka SHOULD have around him, the Mavs need to add another star- a 3-level scorer and defender, who plays great off the ball. But they definitely don't have the assets for that this offseason. But at the very least, what is doable is adding two more role players- a starting center and a bench 3&D wing. That's something that is doable, and it will need to be done. A heliocentric offense works best when it's flexible and adaptable, but right now the Mavs can't really adapt because they just don't have enough guys, the only play is to pray for the threes to sink.
Like Reply
Add Loony to the very long list of guys I would rather be getting center minutes from on this team.  We have got to improve that position this offseason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
Going over teams with better starting Cs than Dallas:

PHX: Yes
Memphis: Yes
GSW: Yes
Utah: Yes
Denver: LOL
Minny: Yes
LAC: Yes
NOP: Yes
SAS: Yes
LAL: Yes
SAC: Yes
POR: Yes
OKC: Maybe not?
Houston: Yes
Miami: LOL
Boston: Yes
MIL: Yes
Philly: LOL
Toronto: Yes
Chicago: Yes
Brooklyn: Maybe?
CLE: Yes
Atlanta: Yes
CHO: Yes
NYK: Yes
WAS: Yes
Indiana: Yes
Detroit: Yes
Orlando: Yes
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • haveitall
Like Reply
We made a great run this year (and they might yet solve GS, pending games 3 and 4 which both have to be wins to have a chance), but this roster needs lots of work.

The four for-sure keepers are Luka, JB, DFS, and Reggie. And of course there's already work to do right there - sign JB on the lowest contract number possible that prevents him from going elsewhere, which at this point likely starts at a ghastly $27 mil per (not kidding). 

Maxi is fifth in line among the keepers, but given the disarray in the rest of the roster, they may have no choice but to trade him. 

Din is really good when he's on. Unfortunately, that's about half the time in the regular season and a third of the time in the playoffs. Sounds like THJ, but Din is cheaper and plays slightly better D. May have to be a trade chip if necessary.

The rest of this roster needs to go bye-bye, except maybe one of Green or Frank. Frank is of course a free agent.

Needs: 1) A real center. This is the easy one, tbh, given how cheap good centers are these days. Too bad the Mavs didn't see how easy it was at the TDL, or we're likely more hopeful about the current series. 2) A third wing man to spell DFS and Reggie so they don't have to play nearly the whole game in the playoffs. 3) One or two more guys (depending on whether Din is traded) who can create their own shot. 4) A second big man to replace Powell. 5) Yet another big man to replace Maxi if he's traded.

Problems: 1) Only assets are a) a low draft pick this year, b) future draft picks, c) Maxi, and d) Green. 2) Four bad contracts cluttering the cap, in order of bad: a) Bertans, b) THJ, c) Powell, and d) Din. 3) A few players cluttering up the end of the roster who aren't good enough to keep but are on contract: a) Brown, b) Burke, c) perhaps Chriss, if Kidd doesn't want to coach him up.

Can't all be accomplished in one offseason. I'll settle for re-signing JB, resolving three of the needs (I was going to say two, but the taxpayer MLE should take care of one), and getting rid of two of the bad contracts (a tall order, but I'm presuming Powell is one of them). If Nico accomplishes those three without creating new problems, he gets an A from me.
Like Reply
^ I don’t mind the Scott offseason. I myself think 1 of DFS or Bullock (if one of them can’t come off the bench) is all that’s needed in the starting lineup. I would much prefer a ball handling wing in one of their spots. Having 2 guys that just hover around the 3 point line gives defenders too much rest. If we can get that guy, I think Bullock comes off the bench, which would be really good IMO. The biggest question is, what does that guy cost?
Like Reply
(05-21-2022, 11:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: ^ I don’t mind the Scott offseason. I myself think 1 of DFS or Bullock (if one of them can’t come off the bench) is all that’s needed in the starting lineup. I would much prefer a ball handling wing in one of their spots. Having 2 guys that just hover around the 3 point line gives defenders too much rest. If we can get that guy, I think Bullock comes off the bench, which would be really good IMO. The biggest question is, what does that guy cost?

Assuming you don't mean Kawhi or Paul George, what kind of guy are you talking about for your target?

To suggest my own answer, a simple solution might be the long-touted THJ + our pick (and perhaps Green or Chriss if necessary) for Jerami Grant. Then, presuming a Brunson re-sign, you're starting your offseason with this roster:

Luka/Frank/Burke
Brunson/Din
Grant/Reggie/Brown
DFS/Powell
Big man tbd/Maxi/Boban
Like Reply