Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boban Watch II
Boban Watch 1  Now entering the Coach Kidd era, Boban Watch II intrigues me to see what happens to the Mavs Giant #2. Of course the Unicorn watch will be Watch #1 to see what happens to KP but will Bobi the Giant survive another season to support Luka Magic? 

https://twitter.com/FIBA/status/1411336855329574913
Like Reply
I think it's really up to Boban.
Mavs would probably offer him the minimum and limited playing time.

If he agrees to it, he's in.
Regardless if he's a 4th string center.
Like Reply
If they aren’t going to use him let him go and use his spot on a younger player or a backup wing for more depth.
Like Reply
(07-08-2021, 11:18 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I think it's really up to Boban.
Mavs would probably offer him the minimum and limited playing time.

If he agrees to it, he's in.
Regardless if he's a 4th string center.

Yeah but if I'm his agent, I point out that you actually went to him for a big role, even starting in the playoffs and arguably he delivered with one of the best +/- on your roster for the minutes and usage you gave him. 

So how is is not a 4th stringer after you relied on him during the critical playoff series and he actually delivered?

(07-09-2021, 03:29 AM)Aussiebballer Wrote: If they aren’t going to use him let him go ...

I agree there, unless of course Boban is content sitting his NBA career out waving a towel on the Bench for his little Buddy Luka. Big Grin
Like Reply
(07-11-2021, 10:18 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Yeah but if I'm his agent, I point out that you actually went to him for a big role, even starting in the playoffs and arguably he delivered with one of the best +/- on your roster for the minutes and usage you gave him. 

Just an eye test, but I felt like Boban's efficiency has slipped.  He missed so many bunnies and multiple attempt bunnies at the rim.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why...the-bench/

2016-2018 - 1.62 points per attempt. 

2020 - 1.37
2021 - 1.27
Like Reply
(07-12-2021, 02:00 PM)cow Wrote: Just an eye test, but I felt like Boban's efficiency has slipped.  He missed so many bunnies and multiple attempt bunnies at the rim.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why...the-bench/

2016-2018 - 1.62 points per attempt. 

2020 - 1.37
2021 - 1.27

I saw it that way too, although even with the slippage he was still usually one of the best +/- players on the Mavericks roster most of the time for his minutes on the floor.  Rebounds + solid point production over short minutes is what you usually get.  His shooting % for example is almost always a better bet than Porzingis. 

If you just project that Porzingis shot attempts were swapped with Boban's in most Mavs box scores the Mavs would have easily won more games although I did like the KP + Bobi mix up punch Carlisle threw out.  It actually looked like they could have won one of those games if they had the gall to just ride it out in Game 6 because they were getting enough buckets to stay close.  Mark Jackson actually said the same thing on the broadcast.  

That said, Marjonovic is 32.  He did miss a lot more shots it seemed that would usually be money on.  He's a giant.  He could be near the end on pure age, or he could have some good time left if a team actually played to his strength and he focused on being a player and not just cheer leader.   

I'm not sure which it is because I don't know if any player can stay sharp with inconsistent way Carlisle played him most of the season.  Not sure where he would fit in Kidd's plans or if he fits at all there.  Be interested to see.
Like Reply
Nice Podcast listen with JJ Redick on Boban Marjanovic and the Mavs in the playoffs

Quote:Ok, so there are good teammates… there are great teammates… and then there is Boban Marjanović.
Like Reply