Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
I am not making excuses for this offseason. I am disappointed.   Although, you could say a year from now both Powell and Maxi could be viewed as positive assets due to their salary.   The Mavs have a lot of guys at the medium salary so this at least gives them the chance to pair some together for a bigger player.  It would certainly help if they had their draft picks.    The future would also look better if they did hit on a few of Green, Terry, Hinton last year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 01:47 PM)fifteenth Wrote: impbalance

That´s a little bit unfair. They have four 7ft + guys. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 12:30 PM)JamesConway Wrote: As expected

I must like taking a beating. I always start out expecting something good. Can't help myself.
Like Reply
I still wouldn't mind acquiring Oubre if we can. He's young, long and athletic. He has been a good shooter at times so it's not like he's a lost cause on shooting. Also any contract can be moved as we see time after time. Might as well try someone like him with some upside and young.
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 01:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I like Bullock better than Markkannen, Oubre and Schroeder because we have Luka, and 1) Markkannen's defense is so poor, 2) seems like literally no one in the whole NBA likes Schroder, and Oubre isn't Oubre. 

Give me Bullock with Luka over any of those guys.

Think about it regarding lineups wit Markannen

Luka/THJ/Bullock/DFS/KP vs Luka/THJ/DFS/Markannen/KP <-- which is the better two-way lineup?

In 2018-19 Markannen had almost 19ppg and 9 rb in 32 mpg.  He's had some injuries and wasn't as good lately.  Now if you give him the same contract as Bullock and he gets back to form and becomes a 20 10 forward with poor defense you can then flip him for someone with better defense.  Maybe Markannen + Brunson for Siakam.  Bullock will give you a few more wins now but he will not help you build a championship team unless he is one of the final roster pieces after the stars are signed.  Its myopic to think 1 move ahead only.
[-] The following 6 users Like haveitall's post:
  • BasketballJones41, BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, omahen, SleepingHero, wmffl87
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 01:50 PM)fifteenth Wrote:  I must like taking a beating. I always start out expecting something good. Can't help myself.

I am mad at myself for believing Cuban’s comments about a 2ndary playmaker. Never believing radio-over-the-Internet guy again.
[-] The following 4 users Like VintagePejav2's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, omahen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 01:42 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: We should 100% give up Kleber for Markennen for example.

I disagree. I'd be interested in how a poll would go on this. Maybe you should start a poll.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 01:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I disagree. I'd be interested in how a poll would go on this. Maybe you should start a poll.

Not sure how to. I would imagine most people’s gut reaction would agree with you.
Like Reply
I would take Markennen over Maxi personally. I've seen Maxi disappear in the playoffs 2 years in a row so I would be ok with moving on. That being said I don't have strong feelings either way.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • BasketballJones41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 01:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s a little bit unfair. They have four 7ft + guys. Tongue

THAT'S IT!! To have a balanced roster all they have to do is put 2 of the 7 footers on each side of the team photo!
  • Hypermav
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 12:45 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: IF another move is coming, it'll be later in the offseason.  Just saying the Mavs dont have anything cooking right now.

Hey man, I didn’t miss it… Just trying to grab onto anything I can right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • wmffl87
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 01:57 PM)haveitall Wrote: Bullock will give you a few more wins now but he will not help you build a championship team unless he is one of the final roster pieces after the stars are signed.  Its myopic to think 1 move ahead only.

I don't believe I'm thinking only one move ahead. But I don't buy the "unless he is one of the final pieces" stuff that seems to be said around here quite a bit. Seems like folks are taking team building strategies from some of the GM's that are starting from scratch and applying those strategies indiscriminately. 

A 20 pt scorer isn't helpful if the other team outscores you every time your 20 pt scorer is on the floor. I think teams are realizing that more and more. I don't think the "20 pt scorer" who isn't a two-way player holds the same value that he used to. I think the fact that LM is still on the market, not getting what he wants, attests to that. 

And if you want to take on a project of letting a lesser impactful player build up his value by scoring so that we can increase his trade value...well, we already have one of those in KP. Not sure you want big minutes going to two value rehab projects at once, both of which have potential defensive issues. 

(08-05-2021, 01:59 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I am mad at myself for believing Cuban’s comments about a 2ndary playmaker. Never believing radio-over-the-Internet guy again.

Looks to me like he was speaking the truth. Both KLs and Dragic are all playmakers.
  • mvossman
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...3702834183
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 01:57 PM)haveitall Wrote: In 2018-19 Markannen had almost 19ppg and 9 rb in 32 mpg.  He's had some injuries and wasn't as good lately.  Now if you give him the same contract as Bullock and he gets back to form and becomes a 20 10 forward with poor defense you can then flip him for someone with better defense.  Maybe Markannen + Brunson for Siakam.  Bullock will give you a few more wins now but he will not help you build a championship team unless he is one of the final roster pieces after the stars are signed.  Its myopic to think 1 move ahead only.

Maybe somebody can be fooled with empty stats, but it won't be Toronto.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5992613890
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JohnnyNBA/status/142...61888?s=20
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 03:06 PM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5992613890

I was thinking about potential Markkanen suitors last night and the only 3 that came to mind were CHA, TOR, and a return to CHI because of how thin they are downlow. 

I fear that we're going to look back and wonder why the Mavs didn't push for Lauri harder given that he was right there (and wanted to be here!!)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-05-2021, 03:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I fear that we're going to look back and wonder why the Mavs didn't push for Lauri harder given that he was right there (and wanted to be here!!)

Two guesses

1) He's not a two-way player, and the Mavs don't need more of those
2) He's a RFA, and it appears that the Mavs may have wanted to stay away from RFAs
Like Reply
Potato po-tah-to

Yahoo Sports think the Mavs did OK
Like Reply
Have there been any rumours of the Mavs being interested in Reggie Jackson?
Like Reply