Poll: Jason Kidd Superstar Franchise Coach?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
For him-Lets see what he can do with Luka
63.16%
36 63.16%
Against- Mavs are spiraling out of control
12.28%
7 12.28%
Undecided- Need evidence Kidd can coach
24.56%
14 24.56%
Total 57 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jason Kidd: For or Against
(06-25-2021, 03:16 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Ty Lue is not suddenly some Xs and Os genius

I'm not really meaning to engage on the part of your overall point that involves "people skills vs. x's and o's", because I somewhat agree (though I believe the goal should be a mixture, and the truth is not so binary). 

But, I have actually heard several times over the years that X's and O's are exactly Ty Lue's bag. Now, I never believed it before, because I just intuitively felt like people were just saying nice things about a coach they liked, but I absolutely do remember hearing that said. And, my newfound respect for him is certainly rooted in noticing some great in-series adjustments (in addition to the subtle psychology acumen he has demonstrated through keeping his team engaged and confident in three straight series that started disastrously, which I think is more in line with your take). 

My personal worry with Kidd is that the pendulum might've swung too far in the other direction, relative to Carlisle, but Kidd is so gifted when it comes to seeing the game that there just has to be some potential for X's and O's knowledge in there, somewhere. I'm hopeful he can learn to organize and teach the knowledge in such a way that works for the team (in addition to being the "fresh start" people want on the personal side).
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 02:50 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: Thanks for the link and time set. I searched for more on this and found;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nbcspor...leads/amp/ 

Describing that and another instance like it. Sounds like Kidd is willing to go with his gut even when the probabilities and risk/reward don’t favor it. These two stories are NOT encouraging, but I also don’t think you can disregard his whole coaching experience because twice he’s willing to think outside the box and can be wrong.

This is such basic math it doesn’t even qualify as analytics. No analytics department would even spend one millisecond considering the win probabilities for deliberately missing a free throw up 3.  In fact, if true, this would be among the stupidest coaching decisions I’ve ever heard of. Please tell me this didn’t really happen.  SMH.  I hope Cuban doesn’t put to much guaranteed money in that contract.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 03:34 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Well, he’s not wrong—even said Carlisle was a top 5 coach.  This Mavs drama is about as strange as I’ve ever seen for pro sports management, and by strange I mean dysfunctional.  But hopefully Nike will right the ship to ensure Luka becomes the global phenomenon we all expect him to be.

I always loved the pods he was on. He said all the right things. I might be in the minority here, but I want to keep him, especially with Kidd being so irrational
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 03:16 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Really very mixed about Kidd.  On one hand, I think Xs and Os are overrated in the NBA.   Baseball discovered a while back that it was best if the coaches followed the advice of their analytics departments in regards to strategy.  Managers just need to deal with personalities in the lockerroom and basically get out of the way of the talent without messing things up with the need to over-coach,  trying to dazzle everyone because their  ego has to put an imprint on the game.   I think basketball will get there eventually too, if they aren't there already (Ty Lue is not suddenly some Xs and Os genius ..  Ballmer poured a lot of money into analytics and they're feeding him the rotations and matchups).     On the otherhand, I think Kidd has a gigantic ego and isn't one to just go with what his analytics department tells him.     On one hand, I think Kidd could be great for Luka and bringing in basketball talent.   On the other, this could end in a personality trainwreck because well ... it's ended in a personality trainwreck in his other two stops.
What if Luka and Kidd pine for the same girl?
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 03:42 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: This is such basic math it doesn’t even qualify as analytics. No analytics department would even spend one millisecond considering the win probabilities for deliberately missing a free throw up 3.  In fact, if true, this would be among the stupidest coaching decisions I’ve ever heard of. Please tell me this didn’t really happen.  SMH.  I hope Cuban doesn’t put to much guaranteed money in that contract.

Yeah, pretty wild stuff. 

I think the only consolation is you are also getting a guy who can think quickly in ways of gray areas like when he dribbled the ball along the sideline and purposely ran into that coach to get a foul. 

So now he is our coach and I just hope that the math thing doesn’t cause us to lose any big games. 

He is also known for when he was drafted proclaiming he was hoping he could do a 360 degree turn around to the franchise. Which of course would have ended you right back where you started.   Big Grin
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 03:50 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What if Luka and Kidd pine for the same girl?

[Image: 9a9e1089-57c3-45d1-86a8-649a1a1a59e4-AP1...490025.jpg]
Like Reply
I'm on the fence on this one. Kidd has issues that concern me. His ego, trouble in his past, possible character issues. 

We really need a people manager, and I'm not sure that's one of Kidd's strengths. 

On the other hand, he has shown some ability for developing young talent, and who better to learn how to be a HOF PG from than a HOF PG?

I've got to think that perhaps Kidd can show Luka how to use KP to his advantage, if KP is still in the future plans of the organization.
Like Reply
To me, given Kidd's weak X's-and-O's track record, it's all about the assistants. I want to see him get at least *five* (pony up, Cubes) - JJB, Jet, bring back Moseley so as not to be jerky and offend Luka more, a defensive strategist, and an offensive strategist. I guess it can be four if you don't bring in Jet.
Like Reply
Dirk as free throw coach...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 04:02 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: Yeah, pretty wild stuff. 

I think the only consolation is you are also getting a guy who can think quickly in ways of gray areas like when he dribbled the ball along the sideline and purposely ran into that coach to get a foul. 

So now he is our coach and I just hope that the math thing doesn’t cause us to lose any big games. 

He is also known for when he was drafted proclaiming he was hoping he could do a 360 degree turn around to the franchise. Which of course would have ended you right back where you started.   Big Grin

Lol. I’m really not 100% against the hire. It could go either way, including a mid season flame out. If Kidd has learned how to use his assistants and other support (analytics) the Mavs will put around him, it also could be a home run. This is not a safe, conservative hire. I do think Kidd should be on a pretty short leash though, even if he is a basketball hero in Dallas.
Like Reply
Anyone interested in an ex-coach as assistant?
I think it is critical to have one with such experience if you are gambling on a coach without a good winning record (like Kidd) 
It usually helps the new coach while providing the team with someone to go for if things went south.

3 Names cone to my mind, Fizdale, Scott Brooks and Terry Stotts 
I think having any of those 3 will be goid addition and will help Kidd,  especially Stotts
Like Reply
(06-26-2021, 04:12 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Anyone interested in an ex-coach ass assistant?

lol
Like Reply
Luka knows who the great BB Players are and I think he will be excited to play for the GOAT ball handler...I think he will respect Kidd's opinion on how to run the offense and will listen to him...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-26-2021, 08:29 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Luka knows who the great BB Players are and I think he will be excited to play for the GOAT ball handler...I think he will respect Kidd's opinion on how to run the offense and will listen to him...

[Image: 46BOWEPr68JBGdyQaDOEtTzCXVZD8hncIRnoP7fs...ef58095595]
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:41 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: In fairness, Cato isn't the type of writer to go make up a bunch of stories and publish them for click bait. He is a serious guy and does have sources. Sam Amick, who is a national guy, is also a very reputable reporter/writer. 

As to who the sources were, and how much of the truth, if any, they revealed, that is of course a legitimate question.

(06-25-2021, 03:50 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What if Luka and Kidd pine for the same girl?
Or Kidd pines for Luka’s mom?
Like Reply
(06-26-2021, 01:39 PM)DaRiv Wrote: Or Kidd pines for Luka’s mom?
And then abuses her?
Like Reply
So after thinking about this,  I´m still sceptical, if this will work, but I now think, that if everything clicks, this has the potential to be ridiculously amazing. I loved Kidd as a player and thus I´d absolutely be ecstatic, if he made it as a coach. But the bigger thing seems to be this Nico-guy. The feedback around the league is so insanely good, I almost can´t believe it. So for now, I´m ready to see, what they can do, but still I have my doubts.
Like Reply
Hopefully the Nico/Kidd combo attracts us a star in the next two years. 

Otherwise, Marc Jackson is the only guy I can think of who would have been lower on my list as head coach candidate.  Kidd is the worst kind of person.  Look at what he tried to do to Lawrence Frank in Brooklyn.  In addition, he's been a bad head coach.  Outdated schemes.  Those of you who are analytics fans should hate the hire.

I hope I'm wrong.
Like Reply
(06-26-2021, 03:58 PM)Thukydides Wrote: So after thinking about this,  I´m still sceptical, if this will work, but I now think, that if everything clicks, this has the potential to be ridiculously amazing. I loved Kidd as a player and thus I´d absolutely be ecstatic, if he made it as a coach. But the bigger thing seems to be this Nico-guy. The feedback around the league is so insanely good, I almost can´t believe it. So for now, I´m ready to see, what they can do, but still I have my doubts.

The jury is still out on Harrison. This is his first time being responsible for running a NBA franchise. I'm sure Cuban will put capable people around him to navigate things, but I really think he was thrust in this job because of  his relationships with players around the league, and to serve as a PR man more than a GM to convince said players to come to Dallas. Just my take, we'll see.
Like Reply
(06-26-2021, 06:02 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The jury is still out on Harrison. 

Oh come on!!!  What the heck is taking so long???

http://gph.is/1QtAl9q
Like Reply