Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MacMahon: DAL not seeking compensation for Carlisle
(06-22-2021, 08:58 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I just want the fans at the games to have the good sense to boo every time Cuban's face appears on the jumbotron.

Not likely.  The current turmoil is for the hardcore fans (us) and nerds (again us) to fret over.  We are nowhere near Donald Sterling levels of bad PR.  And being Dallas, local ire will always go to the Joneses.  Our only hope is that one of Cuban's other interests (Crypto, Baseball, Presidential Campaign) wipes out his wealth or let's him move on.
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 06:33 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: *Mark Cuban is relieved that he doesn't have to pay Rick Carlisle 7 million bucks a year not to coach for the next 2 seasons.

You can buy a lot of draft picks for $7m a year
Like Reply
(06-22-2021, 09:23 PM)MFFL Wrote: You can buy a lot of draft picks for $7m a year

That's not as fun as buying crypto though...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Cuban pulling a Fertitta and outing his expensive GM and Coach.  Then replacing them with cheep rookies right before he has to pony up big buck to Luka.
Like Reply
It would have been nice to seek draft compensation from the Pacers...but there's that....

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...00866?s=20
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:04 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: It would have been nice to seek draft compensation from the Pacers...but there's that....

Yeah just straight up neglectful but shitty asset management is just part of the DNA of this organization. I don’t expect anything positive on that front anymore.
Like Reply
If he's considered such a great coach, why isn't he interviewing anywhere? 

Rolleyes

Looks like he didn't even have to go through an interview process and compete with other candidates.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:19 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: If he's considered such a great coach, why isn't he interviewing anywhere? 

Rolleyes

Looks like he didn't even have to go through an interview process and compete with other candidates.

The other thing to point out in this situation....how many jobs have you left for another job and the minute you quit your other one, they snap you up immediately?  It says a lot about Rick's perception within that the organization that, after one stint with them, wanted him back, and moved quickly.  Literally a week, and he had a job.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:04 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: It would have been nice to seek draft compensation from the Pacers...but there's that....

Russ Hanneman strikes again
Like Reply

Brings back memories of Malice at the Palace. But I guess Metta is retired now.
Like Reply

Just making sure we can get a deal of Powell, Maxi and JB for Turner!

Getting more RC guys in there to teach the Pacers how RC operates.
Like Reply
You know, I wouldn't be surprised in the irony, that although Rick probably contended hardest to keep these players, he's probably really glad to be working with another set of guys for a change.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:19 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: If he's considered such a great coach, why isn't he interviewing anywhere? 

Rolleyes

Even though I think the Pacers have a nice core and had a lot of bad luck with injuries, the facts remain that they had the 4th best record of all seven current job openings. You specifically were saying: Boston or Milwaukee?

So signing this quickly with the 18th best team in the league doesn´t exactly scream superstar coach to me. Milwaukee could still fire Bud, if they lose tamely to the Hawks. The Jazz will certainly have some discussions about Snyder. LeBron allegedly loves/respects Carlisle so much and Vogel didn´t exactly have the greatest of seasons. The Portland job is still there. New Orleans is still open.

Indiana is a smart upside choice, just getting the team to full strength, you´d expect about a 10 wins improvement, but let´s not act like they were the top free agent coaching destination this summer.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 02:22 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Even though I think the Pacers have a nice core and had a lot of bad luck with injuries, the facts remain that they had the 4th best record of all seven current job openings. You specifically were saying: Boston or Milwaukee?

I said there was no chance he was going to Boston because the Celtics were going to hire an African American coach.

I bet Milwaukee was his #1 choice if they had lost to the Nets.  With them winning the previous series and being favored big against the Hawks, no one knows if that job will be available.

I dont think Portland is a fit because him and Stotts are somewhat redundant.

NOP might be somewhat similar to Boston with two young stars that hated an old school coach.

So where does that leave you?  

Wait for Milwaukee to falter or take the $29 million Indiana is offering you.  

Pretty much every insider guessed Milwaukee or Indiana also.  This is no surprise.  He didn't even have to interview unlike all these other job openings.  Quoting Indiana's record last year as some evidence Carlisle isn't well regarded is disingenous.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 02:59 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Wait for Milwaukee to falter or take the $29 million Indiana is offering you.

He has worked there before. Maybe he liked it there and didn't want to leave the first time? He is tight with Bird. He likes "team basketball" and they're one of the better examples of that spirit, currently. By Indiana terms, they backed the truck up for him. I don't think we quite realize how shocked Pacers fans are that they are paying this much for a coach (I've been reading about that all day). And, I'll bet that with that amount of money, he'll also get more personnel control than he has ever had (just a guess). 

It's not the best job in the league by any stretch, but it doesn't seem like he had to interview, even. Just pointed to Indiana and said "yes." He was the LAST of the current coaches to leave/get fired, and the second coach hired to fill one of the many vacancies. That should tell us something.
Like Reply
I´m just so happy, he doesn´t get to work with Zion.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He has worked there before. Maybe he liked it there and didn't want to leave the first time? He is tight with Bird. He likes "team basketball" and they're one of the better examples of that spirit, currently. By Indiana terms, they backed the truck up for him. I don't think we quite realize how shocked Pacers fans are that they are paying this much for a coach (I've been reading about that all day). And, I'll bet that with that amount of money, he'll also get more personnel control than he has ever had (just a guess). 

It's not the best job in the league by any stretch, but it doesn't seem like he had to interview, even. Just pointed to Indiana and said "yes." He was the LAST of the current coaches to leave/get fired, and the second coach hired to fill one of the many vacancies. That should tell us something.

Actually, the dollar value of his hire kind of raised eyebrows for me. 

If coaches really get paid that much less than the good players, I'm surprised the players have respect for any of them.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: If coaches really get paid that much less than the good players, I'm surprised the players have respect for any of them.

I agree with this, from a general NBA perspective, but this money is very much in line with the going rate for the best coaches, and trust me when I say that by Indiana standards it's a huge statement.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 11:24 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: The other thing to point out in this situation....how many jobs have you left for another job and the minute you quit your other one, they snap you up immediately?  It says a lot about Rick's perception within that the organization that, after one stint with them, wanted him back, and moved quickly.  Literally a week, and he had a job.

I mean he was kinda successful with them.  Forgot the year but he won 61 games with the Pacers and they had the best record in the league.
Like Reply
(06-24-2021, 03:10 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He was the LAST of the current coaches to leave/get fired, and the second coach hired to fill one of the many vacancies. That should tell us something.

Is this not further proof that the Mavs under Cuban have zero understanding of maximizing assets' worth??  If RC was so in demand that he could walk right into a job without interviewing AND get paid top dollar, shouldn't it have been apparent that the Mavs could and should have demanded compensation for what was seen as a top coach??

Cuban could've told Rick, "Hey, we're not going to bend teams over a barrel, but I contend that a known quantity at coach is worth something (which is what Cuban has been quoted as believing).  So go shop yourself around and we'll figure out something with the prospective team."

Hell, if that had happened and Bird called and said, "We'll give you our very late 2's this year just to get this done", I'd have at least been somewhat okay with it.  It would've at least presented itself as not just giving away perceived value.

Everyone calls Cubes "Russ Hanneman", but in real life he reminds me of the idiot internet political commentator Steven Crowder.  Crowder got famous with his "Change My Mind" shtick on college campuses where he "debates" 19 year olds who are unsophisticated and intimidated by being filmed.  He then cherry picks the ones where he looks good and promotes himself as an "intellectual".  At the same time he refuses to debate anyone who actually knows their stuff (which is how he got the name "Cold Feet Crowder").  At the same time you have Mark Cuban who sells himself as the business man's business man.  He's a regular on Shark Tank where he tees off on "mom n' pop" sized start ups and punches down at people with a disproportionate negotiating platform.  And then, with some savvy editing, he looks like a "badass".  In reality, the notable business that he runs (the Mavs), which goes up against people who legitimately understand business, is a perpetual clusterfuck under his management.  There is not a discernable management hierarchy.  He is oblivious to the human resource atrocities that go on under his nose.  Under his watch the team intentionally makes no effort at acquiring assets from 50% of the opportunities afforded them (the draft).  And under the other half he has cultivated an image in which he's seemingly turned off free agents unless they're grossly overpaid.

Would getting two late 2's for Rick have completely changed my mind on Cuban's ability to run a business?  No.  But it wouldn't have hurt.
Like Reply