Poll: Simmons for KP straight up, do you pull the trigger?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
58.62%
34 58.62%
no
41.38%
24 41.38%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let´s have a poll: KP for Simmons straight up - are you in?
There are many problems with Simmon's offense, but I would definitely trade KP for him.  KP is a better player than he showed and I think KP can be an all star but Simmons and the Sixers in general had a bad matchup.  The Sixers are tall, the Hawks are short and fast.  Simmons at 6'11" cannot guard 6'1' Trae Young.  Embiid at 7'0' 280 lbs cannot guard the super athletic Collins who is 6'9".  This was a series where shooting/quickness overcame power.  Simmons reminds me a lot of Scottie Pippen with a worse shot but better assist numbers.  Despite one bad series against a bad matchup I would definitely trade for Simmons and use him as a small/power forward.  He would work really well with shooters like Markannen and THJ.  He is also 24 years old.

Luka  22
THJ   29
Simmons  24
Markannen  24
Holmes 27

DFS
Powell
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 08:38 AM)Branduil Wrote: Honestly it's mind-boggling to me that he's never gotten his shot fixed. There have been players with "bad" shot mechanics before, of course (see the Matrix), but they made it work for them and were able to be offensive threats. Ben Simmons has gotten this far based on his immense physical gifts, but in the playoffs that's not enough. You have to have actual offensive skills.

Some players just doesn't have it, for whatever reason. 

I highly doubt that Giannis, Westbrook, Simmons etc aren't working hard to learn how to shoot, it is probably they don't have the body (arms?) to do so. 
Those are some really hard working athletes right there, there is no doubt they work overtime to fix their mistakes, it is just not as easy as people thinks, and people would just love to point to those who have done it and think it is doable
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 09:46 AM)haveitall Wrote: Simmons at 6'11" cannot guard 6'1' Trae Young.

Simmons shut down Trae in game 7. Did a really good job overall. 39/32/86 shooting splits for the series. That´s the one thing he can do better than any other player in the league.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 09:46 AM)haveitall Wrote: Simmons at 6'11" cannot guard 6'1' Trae Young.

Simmons absolutely destroyed Trae I don't know where you're getting that from.

It was everyone else that couldn't stop the Hawks from scoring. Embiid kept turning it over. Their bench had no offense. 

Simmons is becoming the fall guy though there are like 10 other more legit reasons why PHI lost.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I'd be all in for this, it would add a playmaker and some defense while only losing what KP wasn't doing on offense anyway. Both players clearly have a need for a change of scenery and after last night Ben Simmons' trade value might actually be low enough right now for Philly to consider it. 

I'd kind of want to shift Simmons into being a playmaking 5. We'd need to surround it with shooters
Like Reply
Yes Yes Yes. He is a multi tool player whose other tools are being forgotten due to his shooting mental blocks. If you can get this guy for KP. do it in a heartbeat. Joe Harris, Shamet, and other standstill 3 pt shooters struggle. Or you have guys like Seth who were exploited defensively. It is not like there is a guaranteed type who will work next to Luka. 

You are never going to get a perfect player. Else they wouldn’t be available.  Simmons can guard 1-5. He can initiate the offense if Luka is out or trapped. He can rebound.  Think of him as a guard and you don’t want him. Think of him as a low scoring skilled 5 in the new NBA and he is fine.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:05 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: What do you guys think about a 3 team trade:

POR gets: Kristaps Porzingis 
DAL gets: Ben Simmons+ Shake Milton
PHI gets: CJ McCollum + Maxi Kleber

A guy can dream right?

If Portalnd wants to give up CJ and has interest in KP, I'd just cut the 76ers out of the equation.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 11:51 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: You are never going to get a perfect player. Else they wouldn’t be available.  Simmons can guard 1-5. He can initiate the offense if Luka is out or trapped. He can rebound.  Think of him as a guard and you don’t want him. Think of him as a low scoring skilled 5 in the new NBA and he is fine.

Mentally Weak Draymond is kinda how I see him, but I'm not sure that's a great comparison considering mental toughness and intangibles are Draymond's best asset right now.   Maybe twice-as-expensive Aaron Gordon.
Like Reply
Going for a dunk and seen the worst defender in the NBA coming at him...got scared and passed the ball instead of getting the easy and1...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:03 PM)cow Wrote: If Portalnd wants to give up CJ and has interest in KP, I'd just cut the 76ers out of the equation.

Ben>>> CJ though.

Simmons is only 24. He's a defender the likes of Gobert. He's the exact switchable dude we're praying for. McCollum is a better version of THJ (albeit a MUCH better version).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:10 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Ben>>> CJ though.

Simmons is only 24. He's a defender the likes of Gobert. He's the exact switchable dude we're praying for. McCollum is a better version of THJ (albeit a MUCH better version).

I wouldn't mind either one on my team if it gets us off of KP.  My preference would be for CJ though, he just fits what the NBA is now.  I also kind of think Blazers/76ers would cut the Mavs out of that equation as well.  

Everyone keeps saying, "I can't believe Simmons hasn't fixed his shot".  I'd counter that we don't even know if it is broken.  I know the Mavs have a good psychological staff but if you can't get him to pull the trigger, you are just trading a severely flawed superstar for another.  Granted I think Simmons is a lot more useful than KP until the playoffs where they might be equally useless.
Like Reply
I don't even think Holger could fix his shot...
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:03 PM)cow Wrote: If Portalnd wants to give up CJ and has interest in KP, I'd just cut the 76ers out of the equation.

IMO Simmons because of his defensive versatility, rebounding and play making is a much more enticing target than Cj and would be my clear first choice, but I would be thrilled with either.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:21 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: IMO Simmons because of his defensive versatility, rebounding and play making is a much more enticing target than Cj and would be my clear first choice, but I would be thrilled with either.

I can appreciate the thought process and share the enthusiasm.  I just worry about the playoffs and being game planned to death.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:16 PM)cow Wrote: Granted I think Simmons is a lot more useful than KP until the playoffs where they might be equally useless.
This I don't get. KP wasn't useless in last year's playoffs, he was this year when he wasn't used like he was last year. There is a chance that is due to degenerative issues, but there is a chance that it isn't as well. I think it was best put by another poster that basically said this is the fork in the road offseason for both of them. Nothing is set in stone for either of them though, especially not to say something as binary as they ARE useless. For sure they both WERE useless, you can even pencil it in that they are useless, but to say it as fact goes against years and years of NBA history of stories similar to these. Zero to hero, zero to zero, zero to ok are all possibilities at this point.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:26 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This I don't get. KP wasn't useless in last year's playoffs, he was this year when he wasn't used like he was last year. There is a chance that is due to degenerative issues, but there is a chance that it isn't as well. I think it was best put by another poster that basically said this is the fork in the road offseason for both of them. Nothing is set in stone for either of them though, especially not to say something as binary as they ARE useless. For sure they both WERE useless, you can even pencil it in that they are useless, but to say it as fact goes against years and years of NBA history of stories similar to these. Zero to hero, zero to zero, zero to ok are all possibilities at this point.

If you read my history with KP, I am very empathetic to his situation.  His confidence was shot in the playoffs.  He turned down too many open looks.  He deserves some blame for that.  Luka and Carlisle are culpable too.  Carlisle is out of the equation but I'm not sure that is enough to undo the damage that has already been done.  He and Luka don't work well together.  I just think it is best for all parties involved for a fresh start somewhere else.  I fully expect KP to bounce back.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:32 PM)cow Wrote: If you read my history with KP, I am very empathetic to his situation.  His confidence was shot in the playoffs.  He turned down too many open looks.  He deserves some blame for that.  Luka and Carlisle are culpable too.  Carlisle is out of the equation but I'm not sure that is enough to undo the damage that has already been done.  He and Luka don't work well together.  I just think it is best for all parties involved for a fresh start somewhere else.  I fully expect KP to bounce back.
I think it is more likely than not that he bounces back next season too. I would prefer that bounce back to be on another team, but if he can't get at least a portion of that value back in trade, I'm fine with keeping him til the TDL (crossing all my fingers and toes in hopes that he stays healthy!). I do think there is a decent possibility that a player whisperer could get Luka and KP on the same page at least on the floor for the good of the team similar to what Phil Jackson did for Chi and LA. Finding that guy might be quite hard though as well. Oh, and yes, there is plenty of blame to go around for that performance from him (mostly on him).
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 12:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think it is more likely than not that he bounces back next season too. I would prefer that bounce back to be on another team, but if he can't get at least a portion of that value back in trade, I'm fine with keeping him til the TDL (crossing all my fingers and toes in hopes that he stays healthy!). I do think there is a decent possibility that a player whisperer could get Luka and KP on the same page at least on the floor for the good of the team similar to what Phil Jackson did for Chi and LA. Finding that guy might be quite hard though as well. Oh, and yes, there is plenty of blame to go around for that performance from him (mostly on him).

I think the injury concerns is what makes me want to wash my hands of the situation this offseason.

I don't however mostly blame KP.  I think it is equal parts of the KP/Luka/Carlisle triangle.  Maybe a touch more Carlisle than Luka.  As good of a coach as Carlisle is, I think Luka is a massive failure on his part.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/rich_hofmann/status/...68576?s=12
Like Reply
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/shaq-ben-...a-playoffs
Like Reply