Poll: Simmons for KP straight up, do you pull the trigger?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
58.62%
34 58.62%
no
41.38%
24 41.38%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let´s have a poll: KP for Simmons straight up - are you in?
(06-20-2021, 08:32 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Funny to read all these analyses of Simmons and KP that focus on offense.  Simmons is a great defender.  We saw the numbers above about how he’s handling Trae (who’s about as bad a matchup as possible and still has been reduced to a mere volume scorer against Simmons), and we all know how Luka, one of the best offensive players I’ve ever seen, struggles against him.  You are trading for defense.  The offense is a bonus. KP’s claim to fame is that for a guy his size, he’s an average perimeter offensive player. He shoots about the league average from the three for his career.  It’s interesting to see a tall, lanky dude make threes at about the league average, but the NBA doesn’t grade on a curve. Average is average.  His defense though used to be well above average.  Now, it’s terrible, so he’s borderline unplayable with Luka.  Thus, the trade of a bad defender for a great defender. The offense just doesn’t factor in that much to the decision making. And Simmons has enough offensive skill to contribute on that side anyway.  Plus, KP isn’t a guy who’s likely to stay healthy. He’s headed down the Ralph Sampson path.  So, what are you really giving up?

KP might be an average shooter but his defender still has to stick to him opening space for Luka drives. Simmons defender can leave him be and you are playing 4 on 5 offense.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 11:15 AM)omahen Wrote: KP might be an average shooter but his defender still has to stick to him opening space for Luka drives. Simmons defender can leave him be and you are playing 4 on 5 offense.

Just watch any playoff game and you will see that as long as he is not cutting to the rim the defenders do not care and can hound the actual Sixers who can make shots...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 08:32 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Funny to read all these analyses of Simmons and KP that focus on offense.  Simmons is a great defender.  We saw the numbers above about how he’s handling Trae (who’s about as bad a matchup as possible and still has been reduced to a mere volume scorer against Simmons), and we all know how Luka, one of the best offensive players I’ve ever seen, struggles against him.  You are trading for defense.  The offense is a bonus. KP’s claim to fame is that for a guy his size, he’s an average perimeter offensive player. He shoots about the league average from the three for his career.  It’s interesting to see a tall, lanky dude make threes at about the league average, but the NBA doesn’t grade on a curve. Average is average.  His defense though used to be well above average.  Now, it’s terrible, so he’s borderline unplayable with Luka.  Thus, the trade of a bad defender for a great defender. The offense just doesn’t factor in that much to the decision making. And Simmons has enough offensive skill to contribute on that side anyway.  Plus, KP isn’t a guy who’s likely to stay healthy. He’s headed down the Ralph Sampson path.  So, what are you really giving up?

ThisISthePost
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 07:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Make a case. I dare you. Show me some film. Show me the numbers.  Young and Williams aren´t guarding Simmons. Might happen on the occasional switch. Collins is the go to defender. Young is scoring against Simmons. But not efficient. I just provided the numbers.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1627732/head-to-head/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Playoffs&Matchup=Offense

Edit: Nice of you to remove the personal attack.

The case is, that a guy his size should be able to punish those lineups by putting these small guys into pick n roll on every possession. You know how fast Luka would pick apart a defense of Lou and Young? Every play would be making one of them defend the pick n roll. Simmons is not able to do that, because there´s no need to switch as his defender can simply go under the screen. So he never even gets the opportunity to post up these guys. His halfcourt offense is on Andre Roberson level. And I think Roberson was a better roll-man than Simmons.
Like Reply

100% agree. Simmons defense would be welcomed on this team. He´s incredible on that end. But with Luka and THJ I don´t think the way to success CAN be through defense. We´ll never be a top3 defense that wins games on that end. So would he help tremendously against Kawhi, Lebron, Durant, Young whoever? Of course. Can the team defense improve as much as the offense would suffer? I have serious doubts. Luka´s whole game would be messed up. The argument "Luka would still eat offensively and defensively we´d be much better" can not be applied, as Luka needs space to operate and it´s underestimated generally, how instrumental KP is for that.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 03:25 PM)Thukydides Wrote: But with Luka and THJ I don´t think the way to success CAN be through defense.
There is a simple solution to this equation.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 05:17 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: There is a simple solution to this equation.

MAX THJ!!!!!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 05:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: MAX THJ!!!!!

Like I said, simple! Why pinch pennies when we can keep outbidding ourselves!!!
Like Reply
I will say this -- I do think Simmons is broken right now and needs a major overhaul. I just watched him pass up an open dunk in a close game 7. As good as he is defensively and with the ball, he just looks terrified to shoot at all.

If Simmons is going to be successful anywhere, someone is going to have to break through to him and build his confidence back up. Maybe that's Dallas, or maybe it's somewhere else. I have serious doubts it will be in Philly, though, as he's clearly trending in the wrong direction.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...2700228609
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 09:32 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...2700228609

That's a man who doesn't want to go to the free throw line. Once that sickness takes hold, it's a hard road back.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 09:32 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...2700228609

He's losing. That's what he's doing.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 09:29 PM)Tyler Wrote: I will say this -- I do think Simmons is broken right now and needs a major overhaul. I just watched him pass up an open dunk in a close game 7. As good as he is defensively and with the ball, he just looks terrified to shoot at all.

If Simmons is going to be successful anywhere, someone is going to have to break through to him and build his confidence back up. Maybe that's Dallas, or maybe it's somewhere else. I have serious doubts it will be in Philly, though, as he's clearly trending in the wrong direction.

FT line issues in the playoffs series destroyed his confidence. Reminds me of Rondo when he tried to avoid contact. Overall he was really good today. Created easy scoring opportunites for his teammates and locked down Young.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 09:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: He's losing. That's what he's doing.

"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Let him be someone else's reclamation project. Good luck to him...

And Philly similarly would want nothing to do with KP. Like most teams in the league, they need perimeter talent next to Embiid, not a slow stretch big man
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 09:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: He's losing. That's what he's doing.

Cannot really say that. Over the entire series Simmons/Embiid lineups clearly outscored the Hawks and the 76ers bench lost the series.

Simmons was +4, +10, +14, 0, +7, -7, +1. Overall +29 for the series.
Like Reply
Simmons is at an all time low point in value, no question. This need to get rid of the ball before he gets fouled is far more worrisome to me than passing up open shots from the perimeter, because the latter can be schemed around, but NOT if the former is also true. 

However, at the end of the day, he is physically and athletically superior to 99% of the players in the league. He has extremely rare positional versatility. And, his basketball IQ is off the charts. I just don't think it's wise to close the book on a guy like that, especially during the window when they might actually be available. I think some smart team is going to perform a heist here.
Like Reply
I have no interest in Ben Simmons.  He clearly has not worked on his game in terms of shooting.  I get that he's an All NBA defender, but my goodness, he's an atrocious outside shooter and is a joke at the FT line.  All this talk of trading KP AND future assets for this guy?  No thanks.

Why not go after Lonzo Ball?  He's a decent defender, but more importantly, he has a much better touch from the field than Ben.  He's obviously worked on his game since he entered into the league and it has shown these past 2 years.  I know he's restricted, but why not aggressively go after Lonzo this offseason than the already paid (more like overpaid) Ben Simmons and keep KP in the process?
Like Reply
Simmons is basically tingis pingis(with lousy free throw shooting), no thanks
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 09:53 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: keep KP in the process?

You talk like that's in any conceivable way a good thing. Wrong, my friend.
Like Reply