Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-20-2021, 09:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Welcome, Dova. 

My Debbie Downer prediction: Their GM is already in place. He bought the team just before the turn of the century. No idea when they will figure out who they will pay next to pretend they are the GM.

How can someone be smart enough to be a billionaire, and be so droolingly cretinous in the aspect of his life that most matters to the rest of the world? If you're right, I mean.
Like Reply
After reading all this anarchy-Cuban business structure, I found myself to be a fan of Steve Ballmer way of running a team.
  • Went to Harvard, Stanford.
  • Knew much more mathematics then his buddy Bill Gates *.
  • Known to give you 110 percent towards listening to you.
  • Knows how to run a corporation (100k people) very well, being with Microsoft all his life.
  • Shows his emotions, but doesn't curse, gives refs hell, or embarrasses you like a drunk dad on little league baseball team.
While Cuban, incredible genius, has a knack for the alternative way of things
*Steve Ballmer loves data, mathematically/numbers incline. But working on a corporates side, his had to let others work for him and not being involve at all. Both Cuban and Ballmer are respectively great owners, but looking at the current events, I find myself wishing Mavs had have Ballmer leadership.
Like Reply
(06-20-2021, 10:12 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote: After reading all this anarchy-Cuban business structure, I found myself to be a fan of Steve Ballmer way of running a team.
  • Went to Harvard, Stanford.
  • Knew much more mathematics then his buddy Bill Gates *.
  • Known to give you 110 percent towards listening to you.
  • Knows how to run a corporation (100k people) very well, being with Microsoft all his life.
  • Shows his emotions, but doesn't curse, gives refs hell, or embarrasses you like a drunk dad on little league baseball team.
While Cuban, incredible genius, has a knack for the alternative way of things
*Steve Ballmer loves data, mathematically/numbers incline. But working on a corporates side, his had to let others work for him and not being involve at all. Both Cuban and Ballmer are respectively great owners, but looking at the current events, I find myself wishing Mavs had have Ballmer leadership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U
Like Reply
I like Ballmer and it is funny to see people being introduced to him via basketball ownership.  Being in tech my whole life, I can never think of him without "developers, developers, developers, developers".  

Like Reply
Ballmer's genius: hired Jerry West to evaluate and negotiate, and got out of the way.

Cuban's flaw: mediocre at evaluating and negotiating, yet leaves himself in control of those things

Initially, Cuban found he could work around his limits by throwing money at the problem (giving him a way to erase the mistakes). The 2011 CBA's changes closed that door for Cuban (although not for the GM with superb evaluating and negotiating skills). Since 2011, that flaw in the front office structure and ability has killed their planning and ability to improve.

If you didn't like Plan Powder, that's why it began and continued to exist.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 07:57 PM)F Gump Wrote: Ballmer's genius: hired Jerry West to evaluate and negotiate, and got out of the way.

Cuban's flaw: mediocre at evualating and negotiating, yet leaves himself in control of those things

Initially, Cuban found he could work around his limits by throwing money at the problem (giving him a way to erase the mistakes). The 2011 CBA's changes closed that door for Cuban (although not for the GM with superb evaluating and negotiating skills). Since 2011, that flaw in the front office structure and ability has killed their planning and ability to improve.

So much truth in this post...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 07:57 PM)F Gump Wrote: Ballmer's genius: hired Jerry West to evaluate and negotiate, and got out of the way.

Cuban's flaw: mediocre at evualating and negotiating, yet leaves himself in control of those things

So, we know he wasn't the sole negotiator cause he never showed up for the meeting with Deron Williams. So we know that he isn't always the guy making the deals.
Like Reply

And it was reported he was one of the biggest advocates for the change in CBA, and pushed hard for it.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 08:26 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: And it was reported he was one of the biggest advocates for the change in CBA, and pushed hard for it.

But we also know he wasn't happy with the results. I remember his quote well, and it was VERY close to this, if not this exactly:

"We're still drowning, it's just that we're only drowning in 3ft of water instead of 8." 

I don't remember the numbers, but I'm positive I got the intended message right.

EDIT: Found it. This isn't the quote I remember, but a similar one from a different interview. 

[b]Did you and some of the other big-name owners fail with the new CBA?:[/b]

"We certainly didn't achieve all we needed to achieve. I've said it multiple times that in the old CBA, financially, teams were drowning in 10 feet of water, now we're drowning in two feet of water. It'll be interesting. Obviously the Nets just went out and spent a boatload of money. It'll be interesting to see if that works for them or against them."

https://sports.yahoo.com/mark-cuban-comp...--nba.html
Like Reply
We simply can't ignore the fact that Cuban hasn't really been a spender since that CBA in 2011. 

You can make an argument that there hasn't been a reason to spend since then, really, especially when it comes to the luxury tax, but I have long felt like he has changed his style. 

I have heard him say in interviews that he lost over $100 million during his first several years owning the team, and that he was really embarrassed by that.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mavsnationcp/status/...82402?s=21
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 08:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But we also know he wasn't happy with the results. I remember his quote well, and it was VERY close to this, if not this exactly:

"We're still drowning, it's just that we're only drowning in 3ft of water instead of 8." 

I don't remember the numbers, but I'm positive I got the intended message right.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mark-cuban-comp...--nba.html

Yes.
Cuban didn't like that he had to overpay for success, he was proud of it at times, embarrassed of it later. 
But result wise, what he wanted didn't bring him (or the Mavs) much success.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 08:57 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsnationcp/status/...82402?s=21

Don´t get this one. No new sources. Quotes Cato and tries to create more drama. Clickbait.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 09:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don´t get this one. No new sources. Quotes Cato and tries to create more drama. Clickbait.

Yeah, the headline might be true, but there's nothing in the article to suggest it. Even the first sentence is incorrect.
Like Reply
I have made up my mind. Bob is the devil. Pro Burke. Anti Powell.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 09:16 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I have made up my mind. Bob is the devil. Pro Burke. Anti Powell.

Bob only wanted Powell when Zubac was on the floor. Damn you Bob!!!

Ge poisoned Rick's mind. All this time.qe criticized Ricks lineups but it was Bob all along.
Like Reply
It was Voulgaris all along....

*sung in the tune of it was Agatha all along.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 08:21 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So, we know he wasn't the sole negotiator cause he never showed up for the meeting with Deron Williams. So we know that he isn't always the guy making the deals.

Well, not really.

Sometimes, he assigned himself to be on the front line too, but he was ALWAYS the one making the deals and running the show. Who would they target, how much would they offer, how would they try to get to yes, who would do what tasks, who would make the formal pitch to player and agent (if anyone), those were all decided by Cuban.

He's had helpers, to be sure. He's used them in varying ways. But when they have been doing anything major, and anything smaller that can somehow impact anything major, he's always been the real decision maker. We've all seen it play out over and over and over and over, and on a somewhat regular basis it has become very noticeable (as much as he runs his mouth, it's hard to miss, frankly), but no one has cared to focus on that micro-managing and the problems it has created, enabled, and made ongoing. Because, how can it be fixed - like with Jerry, the ego means he's not going to fire himself.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 08:57 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsnationcp/status/...82402?s=21

This is very plausible and sort of lines up with how young players have struggled to develop. Rick is a good coach no doubt but he has to have certain types of players underneath. He is unable to adapt and tap into getting the most of his guys. I always got the impression that everything had to be Rick Carlisle's way or the highway. 

He got the most out of some players while he was here but he sure as hell screwed up a lot of player relationships and that has to mean something.
Like Reply
(06-21-2021, 09:52 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: This is very plausible and sort of lines up with how young players have struggled to develop. Rick is a good coach no doubt but he has to have certain types of players underneath. He is unable to adapt and tap into getting the most of his guys. I always got the impression that everything had to be Rick Carlisle's way or the highway. 

He got the most out of some players while he was here but he sure as hell screwed up a lot of player relationships and that has to mean something.

You realize that RC´s ability to adapt is one of the main points of Cato´s article. The negative part focuses on his people skills. Cato mentioned angry outbursts and him lashing out at non star players. Not all the time because we have just as many or even more reports of RC as a great guy but it was enough to create some friction between him and some players/staff members.
Like Reply