Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
Guys, this day will be the beginning of the end of the Luka era. People are severely underrating Rick and take our well oiled offense for granted. Mavs have over-achieved every damn year since Rick got here. This is such a bummer, almost makes me wanna cry. My guess is, we´ll cycle through numerous coaches in the next years only to learn, how much we lost in RC. Very sad day in Mavs history. Obviously Luka is behind all of this, which makes it even sadder. I can´t think of even one coach, who I´d think would have to potential to bring equal value to Rick. And stop it with Mosley.. my god what has he shown?
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:51 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: How about interviewing a "real GM" and telling him he has to take on Carlisle because he's the owner's longtime good buddy,  and that he may or may not play your draft picks depending on how he feels about it,  and he may not try to make it work with a player you just traded for if he didn't sign off on it.  That's cool with you?    Because that sounds like Jerry to me.

That's not a real scenario. The NBA doesn't view Rick the way this fan forum does. But if Rick had stayed, Mark would have to talk to the real GM candidate about whether he was good with Rick or wanted to bring in his own guy.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:57 PM)Thukydides Wrote: Obviously Luka is behind all of this, which makes it even sadder.

I am sure you are totally wrong on this one...
Like Reply
Pretty easy for me. If the Mavs don´t make a deep playoff run within the next two seasons there is only one remaining guy to blame. Cuban himself. I guess that´s the one good thing. No more excuses. No more scapegoats. He went all in. If he fails it is all on him. If he makes the right decisions. He is the big winner.
I will have pitchforks and torches ready. It´s not impossible to get rid of a owner. Just takes a lot of pressure from the media, fanbase and the league.
Like Reply
So it looks like Cato and Amick are pretty darned good reporters. Which is actually kinda reassuring since they've also been adamant that Luka is going nowhere.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:57 PM)Thukydides Wrote: Luka is behind all of this

I don't think you've been paying attention
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Pretty easy for me. If the Mavs don´t make a deep playoff run within the next two seasons there is only one remaining guy to blame. Cuban himself. I guess that´s the one good thing. No more excuses. No more scapegoats. He went all in. If he fails it is all on him. If he makes the right decisions. He is the big winner.
I will have pitchforks and torches ready. It´s not impossible to get rid of a owner. Just takes a lot of pressure from the media, fanbase and the league.

Daniel Snyder says hi.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is simply not true though. 

I've asked this question like a dozen times after press conferences, because we THOUGHT Guthrie was brought here for that purpose, but Carlisle referred to Mosely as "our defensive coordinator" (or some variation on that theme) literally 10 times this season. And, Mosely was always the guy standing up shouting directions from the sideline when the Mavs were on defense. 

I can't tell you WHY Guthrie wasn't in charge of the defense, because I do remember it being originally reported that he would be, and they never came back at us with "we've made this change because"...but I KNOW that Mosely ran the defense. I've been wondering what happened with all of that (and typing the question on this forum) all season.

No question, RC talked that way and Mosley handed out the belt.

I truly think that the way these titles changed that things were really fluid....I just don't think we can confidently say Mosley was THE problem with the D these last few years.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:54 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: As I wrote previously if Luka leaves because Mark is not catering to his every whim, so be it.

I love Luka, and I try to never take any of this for granted, but I think I'm right there with you. 

In my mind, there is a solid connection between Cleveland doing everything they thought Lebron wanted (twice) and not being a team good enough to keep Lebron (twice). I think it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, personally. 

I'm obviously not saying you shouldn't care at all what your best player thinks, or that you should needlessly antagonize him, but just do things right and you won't have to worry about whether or not Luka wants to be here! And, if he doesn't want to be here because you don't do every little thing he wants (or that you THINK he wants), then "so be it" (well put).
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 04:01 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think you've been paying attention

Are you suggesting Luka was advocating for RC to stay? Certainly not. It´s just soooo wrong to let your superstar have his way in every aspect. Good stuff only happens, if great characters work together, critizice each other, grow together. With RC out who will hold Luka accountable? Who tf?
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote: That's not a real scenario. The NBA doesn't view Rick the way this fan forum does. But if Rick had stayed, Mark would have to talk to the real GM candidate about whether he was good with Rick or wanted to bring in his own guy.

No doubt the NBA views Carlisle as a great tactician and head coach, but Carlisle sees himself as more than a head coach.    He wants say on personnel matters, because that's what he's accustomed to in Dallas.   If he wants to bring back the zombie corpse of Devin Harris for a 15th season, he expects the zombie corpse of Devin Harris to be brought back.   And if he doesn't get his way, he may or may not feel obligated to make it work.    So you think a "real GM" is going to be cool with that.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:59 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Pretty easy for me. If the Mavs don´t make a deep playoff run within the next two seasons there is only one remaining guy to blame. Cuban himself. I guess that´s the one good thing. No more excuses. No more scapegoats. He went all in. If he fails it is all on him. If he makes the right decisions. He is the big winner.

While I disagree with some of Cuban’s self promoting shenanigans, he has been great for the fans. I have always had a fantastic experience at the arena.  He also has not held the city hostage as many other owners are wont to do. Though I have been critical of RC the past couple of years I did not want him to leave, and this is a sad day for me. By the same token, I am in no rush to see Cuban gone either.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 04:04 PM)Thukydides Wrote: Are you suggesting Luka was advocating for RC to stay? Certainly not. It´s just soooo wrong to let your superstar have his way in every aspect. Good stuff only happens, if great characters work together, critizice each other, grow together. With RC out who will hold Luka accountable? Who tf?

If Rick was holding Luka accountable through the 50 technical fouls, I never saw it.

I don't think Luka had any impact on Rick leaving.      That's between Cuban/Donnie/Rick and the new direction the Mavs are going.    Luka might have something to do with Mosley being the next head coach, but he also seems widely respected around the league and it's not just a Luka thing.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 04:04 PM)Thukydides Wrote: Are you suggesting Luka was advocating for RC to stay? Certainly not. It´s just soooo wrong to let your superstar have his way in every aspect. Good stuff only happens, if great characters work together, critizice each other, grow together. With RC out who will hold Luka accountable? Who tf?

I agree, but I don't there's much (if any) evidence that Luka has any of this blood on his hands. I don't think we're to that point of his life yet. MAYBE his agent working on his behalf, but I doubt that, even. 

My gut says that Donnie and The Great Coach Carlisle finally decided to call Cuban on some of his amateur crap and he stubbornly pushed their concerns away. I think all parties had just had enough of the "triangle of trust." It's just unfortunate for we, the fans, that the best of the three isn't the one we have a blood relation to.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:57 PM)Thukydides Wrote: Guys, this day will be the beginning of the end of the Luka era. People are severely underrating Rick and take our well oiled offense for granted. Mavs have over-achieved every damn year since Rick got here. This is such a bummer, almost makes me wanna cry. My guess is, we´ll cycle through numerous coaches in the next years only to learn, how much we lost in RC. Very sad day in Mavs history. Obviously Luka is behind all of this, which makes it even sadder. I can´t think of even one coach, who I´d think would have to potential to bring equal value to Rick. And stop it with Mosley.. my god what has he shown?

The reasoning behind these departures were probably not well planned nor expected, but they were necessary changes.  How the MBT has operated the last decade is not good enough and would have led to Luka asking out.  That may still happen but without change, we were headed down the path of an unhappy Luka.  I don't have a lot of faith in Cuban executing and then keeping his nose out of basketball operations but this at least gives us a chance of making him for a longer term than his rookie extension.

Cuban is already to blame.  This new regime has a pretty large hole to dig out of.
Like Reply
How many had Donnie and Rick leaving before KP?  Yeah, me neither.

The fire Donnie and Rick threads worked I guess.
Like Reply
Mixed about this.

The good - GM performance was bad. Like, really bad. Outside of the Luka and Brunson pick, since then, not many good decisions have been made. The team around Luka is really bad in talent and level. Its absolutely the best that could happen, to get another GM and direction. Im happy about that some changes will occur here. Surely, it can go both ways, but it was super clear, something needed to happen.

The good - RC failed to incorporate KP into the team. He got worse in fact. This falls on RC. Eventough some of this is likely on KP and his sports mentality and psychology. It has to placed on RC, for not making him fit in.

The good - This may bring the old KP back. THese are exactly the moves he need to get back in shape and in impact. He needs other players around him, and he needs another coach and system. The chances for KP getting back in star mode, just increased significantly. RC just couldnt get him to that point.

The bad - RC is still a great tactician. I dont believe we can find someone better. I may be wrong. But most likely we take a step back here big time. RC could have won us the series against Clippers. If he had anticipated the small lineup by Clippers in game 3, and have already here been prepared with the zone already at this stage, we win the series. He had the tools and opporptunity to outclass Lue and win it. He failed. That being said Clippers HC had a lot more talent and fire power, and RC made it to game 7. He was probably still the better coach in this series, so expecting him to make a masterpiece here is maybe too much to ask for. But he had the opportunity in fact.

Overall, it was clear changes needed to be made. This is probbaly more good than bad. Its mixed.

The key for this franchise is getting Luka to stay, and that the new GM brings in the right players. Coaching will get in place, once the right people are around Luka and KP.

I believe now we have a much higher chance to build the team around Luka and KP, and i think both will stay now.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 04:04 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: While I disagree with some of Cuban’s self promoting shenanigans, he has been great for the fans. I have always had a fantastic experience at the arena.  He also has not held the city hostage as many other owners are wont to do. Though I have been critical of RC the past couple of years I did not want him to leave, and this is a sad day for me. By the same token, I am in no rush to see Cuban gone either.

I am. Looking at the things we learned in the last couple of years there is only one way to describe the Mavs front office as a work place. Toxic.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 04:08 PM)Hypermav Wrote: How many had Donnie and Rick leaving before KP?  Yeah, me neither.

Oh my goodness, just when I thought this day couldn't get worse. 

HE IS STILL HERE!!!!
Like Reply
Maybe this was the wrong season to break out the gold championship legacy jersey.
Like Reply