Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-17-2021, 03:42 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't really care if there is a big change in the FO with GM and coach gone. I just don't like the Finley/Mosley idea. Getting rid of people with opinions for likely more obedient subordinates is not cleaning up the house and a message to free agents that you are a serious contender.

I agree.  Both may be great in their roles, but that is a lot to ask for guys in the role for the first time.  Throw in Cuban and I believe it is too risky.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: The sudden flurry MOSLEY news makes me thing the GM search is a show. Choosing your coach before your GM is so Jerry.

It's not a Jerry thing, it's a modern NBA thing and keeping your star player happy thing.  If Moseley is the head coach it's because Luka wants him to be the head coach.  The next head coach of the Blazers will be whoever Dame wants to be the next head coach.   Steve Nash is the head coach of the Nets because KD/Kyrie wanted him to be the head coach.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:44 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: It's not a Jerry thing, it's a modern NBA thing.  If Moseley is the head coach it's because Luka wants him to be the head coach.    Steve Nash is the head coach of the Nets because KD/Kyrie wanted him to be the Nets coach.   The next head coach of the Blazers will be whoever Dame wants to be the next head coach.

Man, you are nails today. Great posts.
Like Reply
Woah... I did NOT expect to see this happen.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) Mosley was NOT in charge of the D this past season, Zach Guthrie was.

2) These titles have been somewhat meaningless in the last few years.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1329546176207724547

That was preseason. In a post game interview later in the season he called Mosley the defense coach. Anyway. Mosley seems to be really popular among players. Not really famous for his schemes and play calling. Silas actually was more involved and a big part of the offense before he left.
Might be one of the reasons why he ended up with the job in Houston and Mosley missed out.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:45 PM)Magickian Wrote: Woah... I did NOT expect to see this happen.

Hey there brother! Good to see you!
Like Reply
My only hope is Rick and Mark were on good times but Mark couldn't make any promises to Rick once he hires a GM and the GM will have decision making on the coach.    Again, not saying Rick was in danger of his job but Mark would not overule if a GM would eventually want to make a change.   

That is my hope...and I believe that would be a fair message to Rick.   I pray this isn't a house burning down situation.
Like Reply
I am not happy right now. Somebody’s vision is clearly not shared by Donnie and Rick. I am already not interested in the details of how this happened. Just show us the vision. 

This new vision is now our vision Mav fans. We might as well try to recover from shock and try to get excited. For starters this vision will feature implementation by Luka and some current players we like. That is still such a great thing. 

I don’t even know what to hope for now. But this will be incredibly interesting and I will get myself to a hopeful place. 

A very sincere Thank You to Donnie and Rick. I have been a profound supporter of the Mavericks since 1981. Your job and all in effort has been appreciated.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:44 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: It's not a Jerry thing, it's a modern NBA thing.  If Moseley is the head coach it's because Luka wants him to be the head coach.    Steve Nash is the head coach of the Nets because KD/Kyrie wanted him to be the Nets coach.   The next head coach of the Blazers will be whoever Dame wants to be the next head coach.

Interviewing a real GM and telling him you already hired the coach is very Jerry. If you hire Mosely because the players want him, then you probably have to hire a rookie GM, because he'll take the job to get his foot in the door.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:44 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: It's not a Jerry thing, it's a modern NBA thing and keeping your star player happy thing.  If Moseley is the head coach it's because Luka wants him to be the head coach.  The next head coach of the Blazers will be whoever Dame wants to be the next head coach.   Steve Nash is the head coach of the Nets because KD/Kyrie wanted him to be the head coach.

Counterpoint:  It's a little too soon to hand those kind of keys to Luka and I don't think he really wants them yet.  I'm sure he could veto a hire but I don't think Luka has a short list of who he wants to play for which is a good thing, he needs to be coached.  The whole KP debacle shows that.
Like Reply
Just be careful of the popular assistant coach.
Like Reply
Honestly, I would have been surprised if Rick had stuck around with Donnie gone.  Typically when you bring in a new front office you want them to be able to pick their coaching staff.  Rick may have just let Cuban off the hook from having to let him go down the line.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: 1) Mosley was NOT in charge of the D this past season, Zach Guthrie was.

This is simply not true though. 

I've asked this question like a dozen times after press conferences, because we THOUGHT Guthrie was brought here for that purpose, but Carlisle referred to Mosely as "our defensive coordinator" (or some variation on that theme) literally 10 times this season. And, Mosely was always the guy standing up shouting directions from the sideline when the Mavs were on defense. 

I can't tell you WHY Guthrie wasn't in charge of the defense, because I do remember it being originally reported that he would be, and they never came back at us with "we've made this change because"...but I KNOW that Mosely ran the defense. I've been wondering what happened with all of that (and typing the question on this forum) all season.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:46 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Interviewing a real GM and telling him you already hired the coach is very Jerry. If you hire Mosely because the players want him, then you probably have to hire a rookie GM, because he'll take the job to get his foot in the door.

How about interviewing a "real GM" and telling him he has to take on Carlisle because he's the owner's longtime good buddy,  and that he may or may not play your draft picks depending on how he feels about it,  and he may not try to make it work with a player you just traded for if he didn't sign off on it.  That's cool with you?    Because that sounds like Jerry to me.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1405628723110494215

Mark breaking up the fraternity and good ole boys club. 

Again, I REALLY think this needed to happen.
Like Reply
Now that I’ve had a few thousand breath’s to digest this, I’m starting to feel different.

When Luka got here by the end of season 1 we knew we would have to build a contender fast. The FO stated as such, making statements like ‘we are moving up our timeline.’ 

It may have been the case that Mavs had a long-term and a short-term plan and the short-term plan just hasn’t been good enough. I am the guy who yesterday was arguing for patience, and I’m a believer in continuity, but if you are results oriented there is really only one way to handle this. And I think with Luka we have to be results oriented.

The way to handle a results oriented approach is you have to raise the stakes and risk making big mistakes. You have to change things that aren’t working and do it immediately. That includes the thing you changed in the first place. You do it fast, shrewd and without fear of being wrong. Whatever happens this year and if it doesn’t work it will all be changed next year. As much as possible. 

Unfortunately this is a very short-term strategy, and imo, is less successful over time. But we don’t have the luxury of time anymore. Luka is not Dirk and he’s not going to be loyal to a fault.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
Ben Rogers
@BenRogers
Mavs owner @mcuban just told me they will stick to their search process and hire their next GM first.
Like Reply
Not sold on Mosley. Of course Luka is going to say good things about him, he already knows him from the past 3 years. Every player in pro sports has always campaigned for the interim/assistant to get the job when the HC spot is available.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 03:44 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: It's not a Jerry thing, it's a modern NBA thing and keeping your star player happy thing.  If Moseley is the head coach it's because Luka wants him to be the head coach.  The next head coach of the Blazers will be whoever Dame wants to be the next head coach.   Steve Nash is the head coach of the Nets because KD/Kyrie wanted him to be the head coach.

I agree that is what happens these days but I want the GM to select the coach. As I wrote previously if Luka leaves because Mark is not catering to his every whim, so be it.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...2165309440
Like Reply