Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-16-2021, 02:07 PM)Tyler Wrote: My understanding is that Bob's contract is up this summer. You can't fire a guy who is not under contract, and there's also no need to completely rule him out if the new GM wants to work with him. So I imagine he'll float while they sort things out.

I hope this is the case. Because there is also a possibility that Cuban and Bob decide they are the smartest people in the league and don't need anyone in their way Smile
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:09 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/7...nknown.png

Interesting. Real or fake? Random Reddit accounts don't mean much to me.

In any case, I strongly suspect we'll know a lot more in the next 48 hours. Your guess is as good as mine, and absolutely nothing surprises me anymore. What a wild day.
Like Reply
Let's promote Powell to GM to get him off the books.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:15 PM)Tyler Wrote: Interesting. Real or fake? Random Reddit accounts don't mean much to me.

In any case, I strongly suspect we'll know a lot more in the next 48 hours. Your guess is as good as mine, and absolutely nothing surprises me anymore. What a wild day.

Was the one who did the Donnie GM spoof video and username was brand new...uses Donnies hire date as username...claims he's Bob's friend...

https://media.giphy.com/media/dgEtXsuqq2PL2/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Was that reddit user really Bob?  He also dropped this screenshot of messages with Cato the other day when the story dropped:

[Image: Uh22DKG.png]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1405...25001?s=20
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:19 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Was that reddit user really Bob?  He also dropped this screenshot of messages with Cato the other day when the story dropped:

[Image: Uh22DKG.png]

He admitted in one of Shams tweets using same username as reddit...
Like Reply
This is NOT what I wanted to hear going into the most pivotal offseason that the Mavs have had in 20 years....we will be capstrapped the minute that Luka's extension, which he hasn't signed yet, kicks in.  Literally like about to walk on the court and the team bus catches fire.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:19 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Would like to consider Denver GM Arturas Karnisovas.  Although he's already an NBA GM, might be interested in a "lateral" move because Nuggets  President Tim Connelly really is the top of the front office there.   Denver has been the best in house draft and development franchise in the NBA the last decade, imo ... which has been the Mavs biggest Achiellies heal, imo.

Karnisovas has become Chicago GM a year ago Smile
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:20 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: This is NOT what I wanted to hear going into the most pivotal offseason that the Mavs have had in 20 years....we will be capstrapped the minute that Luka's extension, which he hasn't signed yet, kicks in.  Literally like about to walk on the court and the team bus catches fire.

Being capstrapped doesn't prevent a GM from doing his job though, it makes it even more important that we get someone in that we can trust honestly.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:19 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1405...25001?s=20

[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:23 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Being capstrapped doesn't prevent a GM from doing his job though, it makes it even more important that we get someone in that we can trust honestly.

We are not capstrapped, we have plenty of cap this offseason if we want. And this offseason is critical.
Like Reply
I wonder which one messed up the Miami trade last year.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:20 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: This is NOT what I wanted to hear going into the most pivotal offseason that the Mavs have had in 20 years

This is personally EXACTLY what I wanted to hear going into this postseason. 

The Mavs need someone like Ujiri to be given 100% control to burn down everything but Luka to the ground and completely rebuild the team around him. 

"We love our boys in blue" would have been a DISASTER this offseason. Someone needs to come in with ZERO personal attachment to any of these players.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:23 PM)cow Wrote: [Image: 200.gif]

I think with a guy like Ujiri is not (just) about money. Sure he wants to be paid and he will be paid wherever he goes. It is about the ability to build a great story. I am not sure there are a lot of better opportunities than Dallas, if Cuban would go all in.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 01:35 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Depends who the new guy will be and how much power he gets. Maybe Rick has threatened to leave over Donnie putting together all these shitty rosters and Voulgaris telling him what to do. We don´t know. Ainge could actually strengthen Rick´s position.

Though I agree this should make Rick a little more vulnerable, which can only be a good thing, when it comes to his treatment of players and rookies. You just don´t hissy-fit Play-off Rondo over a backcourt violation or embarrass Noel multiple times in public. I doubt most GMs would tolerate such behaviour.

All I know is that we need a guy that can turn this franchise upside down, and I think that means front office and scouting department first and foremost. We need a strategic approach change and that can only happen with a powerful player.

If Mark was smart, he´d just take a step back, focus on his eucalyptus crypto currency and hand Ujiri the keys. He will find a way to hog the limelight, when Ujiri rolls in the trophies. Maybe free-handed pissing with one trophy in each arm. Tongue

That´s exactly why I can see Ujiri (if Mark is willing to step aside). Ujiri said it´s not about the money, he wants control and he wants an interesting project. Does it get more interesting than Luka?

The Rick Carlisle question to me is the most impactful thing to watch for as a possible domino effect. 

A few points to consider. 

1) Carlisle was questioned in the post game 7 loss press conference about how the way things went (in a somewhat negative direction) might affect his own future with Dallas.  His answer was essentially you'd have ask Mark Cuban that question and then in so many words from my perspective I'm not thinking in terms of going anywhere

So how much did this catch Rick by surprise?  Was he part of the decision, doesn't seem likely but who knows?). 

2) Carlisle has a long standing rep among many in the media and in the league, and in general as one of the very top coaches in the league.  Many would probably say top 5?   At the same time, Dallas hasn't been back to that area as a team for a decade now.   So how does Cuban see it?  

Brad Stevens case is interesting here.  It appears by most accounts that bumping him up to the front office was an alternative firing the highly regarded coach.  Is Carlisle in that position?  
Would a new GM want to come in without changing coaches in this situation? 

3) The Luka influence.  This being the Lebron player empowerment era, doesn't what Luka want have a major impact now?  Its not the old days where this was sort of above the players control level. 

Who is Luka's "team" and who do they like for GM and who do they like for Coach?  
Did Luka hint anything of his feelings about how the roster and coaching was being handled after the disappointing loss to the Clippers? 

Huh
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:26 PM)DaRiv Wrote: I wonder which one messed up the Miami trade last year.

Seriously. THAT should have been the biggest signal to us fans of TOTAL INCOMPETENCE in the leadership structure.
Like Reply
A possible name... Morey hired him as an intern when he was with the Celtics and they were a 2 man team completely reshaping Boston's analytics.  

Michael Zarren - Assistant GM and Team Counsel

A lifelong Celtics fan and season ticket holder, Michael Zarren is now the Celtics’ Assistant General Manager and Team Counsel. Now in his fourteenth year with the team after starting as an unpaid intern, Zarren is widely recognized as one of the leaders in the field of advanced statistical analysis of basketball players and teams and is an important part of the team’s strategic planning and player personnel evaluation processes. Zarren is also the team’s salary cap expert and lead in-house counsel (for both basketball and business-side issues), and is responsible for the development of new technologies for team use, including the team’s best-in-class statistical database and video archive/delivery system.

But Sounds like the Celtics have him tabbed to be Brad Steven's Consigliere...

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]“There’s a belief that Stevens will only nominally outrank Zarren in Boston’s decision-making tree, sources said, and it’s a role Zarren appears more than prepared for. Whenever teams have conducted negotiations or trade calls with the Celtics, sources said, it has typically been Zarren on the other line. Right around Memorial Day weekend in 2013, it was Zarren, for example, who phoned Brooklyn to resume negotiating the famous blockbuster trade that ultimately netted Tatum and Brown.”[/color]
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:25 PM)omahen Wrote: We are not capstrapped, we have plenty of cap this offseason if we want. And this offseason is critical.

I'm simply responding to Bama.  I know we aren't strapped yet but just saying it's not like you can't make roster moves over the cap once we are, but yes this offseason is critical.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:22 PM)omahen Wrote: Karnisovas has become Chicago GM a year ago Smile

Yeah, I'm a year behind.  A shame, he's a old former Euro player.   Luka might have really liked the hire.
Like Reply