Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-14-2021, 01:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The fact Cubes was so quick to reply and that Voulgaris commented in a story written by Fish at SI a couple of hours after the athletic story makes me think that athletic article was super accurate.

No reason to do such damage control if it wasn't true.

Huh?
A story by a big media outlet like the Athletic, "falsely" attacking you, your GM, your analytics guy and your coach; and he shouldn't be responding?  
You know who is reading this? players in the league, players in the team, agents, families of our own players, families of any potential target for the Mavs etc. 
This article really hurts the Mavs in every way, and if it is false then I don't think Cuban has even responded enough.
Like Reply
I forgot Justin Anderson, Shane Larkin, and a host of others.

Like Jae Crowder is the best example in a decade of someone we let go that we shouldn’t have.
Like Reply
When the information is vague everyone just goes along with the favorite narrative. Camp RC is the problem is going strong. Same for the anti Donnie crew.
I am staying on team "the fish rots from the head down". But for many that´s not an option. Would be the worst possible scenario. Can replace the GM, coach, scouts and other staff members. Cannot replace the owner.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 06:56 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I am staying on team "the fish rots from the head down". But for many that´s not an option. Would be the worst possible scenario. Can replace the GM, coach, scouts and other staff members. Cannot replace the owner.

Not sure what you are saying. I haven't seen anyone go Cuban is the best and we hope he will be owner forever. But it is a fact he is an owner, and as you said, you can't change him.
Like Reply
Don't forget Pre Season GOAT Jenkins...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 06:56 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: When the information is vague everyone just goes along with the favorite narrative. Camp RC is the problem is going strong. Same for the anti Donnie crew.
I am staying on team "the fish rots from the head down". But for many that´s not an option. Would be the worst possible scenario. Can replace the GM, coach, scouts and other staff members. Cannot replace the owner.
Sure, the best thing you could hope for would be for the Mavs to hire some external guys who have his trust and get to make the decisions more freely than the current crew. 

Basically what he allegedly allowed this Bobguy to except with someone who isn’t just a numbers guy but more of a respected all around good ‚real’ GM.

(06-14-2021, 06:55 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I forgot Justin Anderson, Shane Larkin, and a host of others.

Like Jae Crowder is the best example in a decade of someone we let go that we shouldn’t have.
Yeah I guess he handled this perfectly then and Nico Melli and James Johnson got us to the promised land with their quality veteran play.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 07:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure what you are saying. I haven't seen anyone go Cuban is the best and we hope he will be owner forever. But it is a fact he is an owner, and as you said, you can't change him.

What I mean is pretty obvious. One vague article is used as confirmation for all kinds of narratives and agendas. Anti RC/Donnie/Cuban. Doesn´t matter. We don´t have any prove but the speculations are running wild. Based on everything I have seen it is mostly about Cuban and Voulgaris (maybe that´s my personal bias as well). Other posters read it and go all in on RC´s and Donnie´s role.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 07:06 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Basically what he allegedly allowed this Bobguy to except with someone who isn’t just a numbers guy but more of a respected all around good ‚real’ GM.

I don´t think any of the big names (Morey, Massai) would even consider the Mavs. They want full control. That´s one of the main problem. At least in my opinion. I think Kamm already mentioned something very similar when he stated that the MBT lacks a clear hierarchy. Calling it "MBT" is actually really telling in this case. Group of guys. We don´t know who is making the final calls and according to rumors around the league agents, players and other GMs have similar problems.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 07:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: everything I have seen it is mostly about Cuban and Voulgaris (maybe that´s my personal bias as well). Other posters read it and go all in on RC´s and Donnie´s role.

The Article seems like anti Voulgaris. But the podcast shows it is really anti Nelson. Like - Voulgaris wasn't best way to do it, but at least it is addressing the real issue. Of course Cuban is above everyone and takes final responsibility. For good and bad moves.

Edit: they actually say in the podcast (paraphrasing) - Voulgaris is cool, he is analytics guy and you have to have those. He is bringing stuff others on the circle don't. Just have him in a less visible position.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:07 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: "I didn't hear what was said,'' Voulgaris tells us. "There's definitely no drama on my end.''

In the end, Haralabos Voulgaris, no matter how accomplished he may be, may be telling us the truth about his lack of awareness regarding "drama.''

But he is undoubtedly about to be made aware.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...is-respond

So Cuban's backpocket boy speaks up

BTW I was speaking of the writer of the article Mike Fisher, not mavsluvr
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 05:09 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Read this whole thread.

Yeah, no kidding.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 06:48 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I’m sorry but I’m tired of this bullshit. You have apparently never watched any of those guys play college basketball. On draft night, I said they are 3-4 year projects. Josh Green doesn’t have basic skills like how to dribble a basketball. 

I’ll admit to being a Carlisle homer but I’ve had enough of this shit for 15 years. Every time we draft some complete scrub like Shan Foster or Mo Agee or Josh Green…it’s Carlisles fault they didn’t get “developed.”  I was one of the first on the DSJ sucks at basketball wagon. Apparently he was Carlisle’s fault too. 

I’m gonna agree with that Stephen A clip from last week. Carlisle needs to go to a team that’s actually good and ready to win. He’s wasting his coaching career here whether it’s Donnie or Voukgaris or Cuban. He would have a huge contract within 48 hours if the Mavs let him go. More likely we can trade him for a 1st round pick. There’s not a single non Mavs fan complainer that doesn’t think Carlisle is a top 10 NBA coach.

No one in the triangle of trust, including RC, comes out looking good in this. 

Especially RC, given that he is one of the few or maybe the only one, who will have his choice of offers, the minute he leaves this place.  

Why is it hard to accept that RC too probably has grown comfortable here and is not willing to leave to another place where he is allowed to coach the way he wants (if he is truly held back here)? A lot of people when they cross 50s get into that cruise control mode towards retirement. 

It is time for a total overhaul. However that is not going to happen with Cuban still around.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 07:40 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: No one in the triangle of trust, including RC, comes out looking good in this. 

Especially RC, given that he is one of the few or maybe the only one, who will have his choice of offers, the minute he leaves this place.  

Why is it hard to accept that RC too probably has grown comfortable here and is not willing to leave where he is allowed to coach the way he wants (if he is truly held back here)? A lot of people when they cross 50s get into that cruise control mode towards retirement. 

It is time for a total overhaul. However that is not going to happen with Cuban still around.

Because it is an opinion. Just like any other. We really cannot prove it. I think RC is a top 3 coach and anyone that thinks about replacing him should be banned from talking basketball but that is not an option. You obviously disagree. That´s fine.

RC having options if he decides to leave or is forced out actually tells me that most guys around the league (that aren´t in the Rondo/Perkins camp) are thinking highly of him as well. He ranked among the best coaches in the annual GM survey prior to the season. Is the president of the coaches association.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 07:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: What I mean is pretty obvious. One vague article is used as confirmation for all kinds of narratives and agendas. Anti RC/Donnie/Cuban. Doesn´t matter. We don´t have any prove but the speculations are running wild. Based on everything I have seen it is mostly about Cuban and Voulgaris (maybe that´s my personal bias as well). Other posters read it and go all in on RC´s and Donnie´s role.

If Donnie really doesn’t have the final say on picks what exact power does he have?  

Even if RC was not dictated to have certain lineups, just the fact that there was obvious dysfunction in who gets to draft or make trades, is enough for a coach with his resume and ability to land another job, want to get the heck outta here. 

That’s why I feel no one in the TOT come out looking good here. At least with Donnie the reality is that he would not land a GM job anywhere else. So at least he had a reason to roll over and play dead.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 07:52 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: That’s why I feel no one in the TOT come out looking good here.

Probably the one thing that we can all agree on.
Like Reply
More from Fisher

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/ma...ccusations
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 06:52 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Huh?
A story by a big media outlet like the Athletic, "falsely" attacking you, your GM, your analytics guy and your coach; and he shouldn't be responding?  
You know who is reading this? players in the league, players in the team, agents, families of our own players, families of any potential target for the Mavs etc. 
This article really hurts the Mavs in every way, and if it is false then I don't think Cuban has even responded enough.

If these comments were false, and the story wasn't true, then they wouldn't hold water at all. I don't want to speculate on how Cubes SHOULD react, but being hyper defensive within the hour and Voulgaris himself going to Mavs Mouthpiece Fish within the hour tells me that they're on damage control and are trying to fix the image. 

Players/Agents/Other executives aren't stupid. If this story was false then they'd be the first to know given that they are the ones that deal with the Mavs front office on a semi daily basis. 

Regardless it doesn't matter the reaction of Cubes on twitter. What matters is if he cares enough to right the ship.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 04:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah, the article affirmed that RC definitely has the control issues we have all seen. But he is also TRYING to let go of certain things (good on him!!)...I just don't think it is working right now.

Quote:“adaptable as a motherfucker,” as one league source put it, began to modify his coaching style as a way of relieving some of the pressure from this sensitive situation. Beyond Carlisle’s obvious coaching acumen, he has always been able and willing to, in essence, read the room when it came to which personal battles he could win and which ones he couldn’t. 

This makes so much sense on how Rick politize his after game interviews. Think it was game 5 (Mavs at Clips) where Rick gives praise to KP after having such a mediocre game. At first I thought his trying to encourage his role but, as the savy head coach, puts attention with a gold star to KP as to say "see his doing good, I see that he helps, dont you".
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 01:41 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: In fairness, Cato isn't the type of writer to go make up a bunch of stories and publish them for click bait. He is a serious guy and does have sources. Sam Amick, who is a national guy, is also a very reputable reporter/writer. 

As to who the sources were, and how much of the truth, if any, they revealed, that is of course a legitimate question.

I gotta back sefant up on this point.  I read Cato quite a bit and I have never gotten the sense he has any inside sources.  Marc Stein was a classic Mavs insider.  Reading a Cato article is like reading someone on this board.  Good analysis, defensible opinions, but I never hear him quoting someone within the circle unless it is straight from the press conference.  And his predictions are terrible.  Maybe he has conducted a couple sit-down interviews with Boban or Willie.  In fact, this is the first article I can recall of his where he actually attributes to sources.

Writing an article about internal strife right now is pretty easy, given we all see a terrible dynamic on the court right now.  Maybe it's injuries and COVID.  Maybe it IS power struggles in the office.  I take this article with a giant grain of salt.

Bob V. was hired in the fall of 2018, and Carlisle was given that "quiet" contract restructure for more pay and more years in March of 2019.  Hard to characterize that as Bob getting more power than Carlisle.
Like Reply
(06-14-2021, 07:58 PM)MFFL Wrote: More from Fisher

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/ma...ccusations

Yeah.....no meat in there.
Like Reply