Poll: Who has the best free Mavs coverage?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavs.com
14.29%
2 14.29%
Dallasbasketball.com
28.57%
4 28.57%
Smoking Cuban
0%
0 0%
Mavs Moneyball
28.57%
4 28.57%
Other (explain below)
28.57%
4 28.57%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Best Mavs coverage
As far as I can tell Mavs.com probably has the best coverage of this team now. The site hosts real feature stories by real professional writers with real daily access. Most everything else you see is simply a fan blog.

Personally I think Fish's site has really gone down the tubes. There are multiple reasons but I think it's significant that the community is effectively gone with the move to Maven. I also find the current stories lack originality and perspective. There's really nothing to differentiate dallasbasketball.com from other blogger sites offering similar content. 

Of course, there's some good content / feature stories on pay sites like The Athletic and occasionally DMN, Observer etc. I'm curious about the free stuff.

I'm reminded of a post from Mark Cuban about a decade ago.

http://blogmaverick.com/2008/03/10/blogg...cker-room/
Like Reply
Brad Townsend at the Dallas Morning News has really upped their game in the last two years. Seems to have some growing insider connections and does a great job staying on top of things IMO.
Like Reply
Good question! I love to read basketball news, but I like podcasts these day because I can work while I listen (as long as I'm not doing something too technical). I really like all the Art19 Mavs podcasts: Numbers on the Board, The Four Pointer, The Ceiling is the Roof. But that's not daily news. Locked on Mavs is pretty good. 

For written news, it seems like DMN has stepped up their game a little lately. And you're right about Mavs.com. I'm pretty sure the best coverage right now is the Athletic, but I don't subscribe, so I'm guessing on that. 

One thing that is alarming about sports journalism: If you "google" Dallas Mavericks, and click on the "news" tab, most of what you get is a bunch of horribly written fan garbage hosted by The Smoking Cuban and Mavs Moneyball. If those sites publish anything that's actual journalism you certainly can't tell based on the writing. 
Like Reply
That's great to hear about DMN. I don't currently subscribe so I haven't visited in some time. I recall you used to get a couple of free article per month... Looks like the current offer is $135 for two years. 

I haven't paid for DMN in 10+ years but if they're offering quality content, I'll have to investigate.

I don't have a problem paying for good stuff written by talented and insightful writers. But I won't pay for (or waste my time reading) crap.
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 09:22 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: That's great to hear about DMN. I don't currently subscribe so I haven't visited in some time. I recall you used to get a couple of free article per month... Looks like the current offer is $135 for two years. 

I haven't paid for DMN in 10+ years but if they're offering quality content, I'll have to investigate.

I don't have a problem paying for good stuff written by talented and insightful writers. But I won't pay for (or waste my time reading) crap.

I mostly follow Brad on twitter but then I occasionally click on the articles to read more in depth. I have never run into a pay wall as far as I remember. But I could be wrong.
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 09:26 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I mostly follow Brad on twitter but then I occasionally click on the articles to read more in depth. I have never run into a pay wall as far as I remember. But I could be wrong.

If you click often enough you'll hit the pay wall
Like Reply
I miss earl k Sneed a bit.... 

But we all know why he is not longer the mavs Twitter guy
Like Reply
My favorite commentator/writer is Kirk Henderson from Mavs Moneyball.  His Kirk Your Enthusiasm podcasts are great - insightful, practical and entertaining.
Like Reply
This site...if it is Mavs related or a big NBA story it will be posted here and analyzed by some smart folks...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I think the Mavs are covered comparably worse than other sport teams.

Exclusive stories or interviews are mostly lacking.

I don't think there is a really great Mavs source out there.

Forgot his name but the best game recaps were usually provided by some guy in the scout forums.

mmb was great while Tim Cato was there. Now he is at the athletic.

From time to time there are great Slovenian/Spanish or German news.

Dirk did some interviews in German Media recently, same as Maxi.

All in all there is room for a quality coverage of the Mavs.
Like Reply
I like The Athletic. The options listed in the poll don't really provide any deep takes.
Like Reply
I still read Fish's site.  I also subscribe to the Athletic.  I am looking for some DL stuff.  You out there?  Tongue
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 03:51 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Forgot his name but the best game recaps were usually provided by some guy in the scout forums.

Wrong, can't remember his name but we most definitely had the best recaps on this board.
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 03:51 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: I think the Mavs are covered comparably worse than other sport teams.

Exclusive stories or interviews are mostly lacking.

I don't think there is a really great Mavs source out there.

Forgot his name but the best game recaps were usually provided by some guy in the scout forums.

mmb was great while Tim Cato was there. Now he is at the athletic.

From time to time there are great Slovenian/Spanish or German news.

Dirk did some interviews in German Media recently, same as Maxi.

All in all there is room for a quality coverage of the Mavs.
Mavsluvr...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 10:20 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: This site...if it is Mavs related or a big NBA story it will be posted here and analyzed by some smart folks...

I love this type of thinking!
Like Reply
Twitter and YouTube. All the listed poll options are there + more.
Like Reply
Always loved Mavs Moneyball
Like Reply
(10-23-2019, 06:10 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Mavsluvr...

Indeed. Wonder what happened to him?
Like Reply
I love Fish. I have followed him since the KLIF days, and agree with most of his opinions. 

I fear that he is going to slide into irrelevance. The thing that made dallasbasketball.com cool was the cohesiveness of all of the good Mavs stuff in one place. Fish's articles, DLord's salary cap expertise, daily donuts and of course the community. And occasionally articles by the other guys, although they often seemed lower quality than the stuff Fish used to write. 

That's all gone now. No more one stop shop for Mavs content. But at least here, we still have community. Without us as a "captive audience" if you will, I think his number of clicks will trend downward until he's no longer a commodity to Maven or anybody else.
Like Reply
I wouldn't answer this question using certain sites. These are my Mavs must follows on Twitter:
Former: Psychology BSc. Sports coverage for @weltfussball and @sportde. Writer at @mavsmoneyball. Now: Web Dev, Mavs fan.
[Image: MFSYrBp.png]
Twitter: j0Shi_f
Like Reply