Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What lineup changes would you make?
I think Burke or Brunson will start next game with Hardaway sliding up to the 3. 

I'm guessing Burke to try and break down the defense a bit more while also letting Brunson stay in his usual role. 

Kleber isn't doing much offensively now and you can't say he's doing anything against Kawhi. 
We're not able to slow them down much defensively with defenders so might as lean in to the offense.
Like Reply
(05-31-2021, 07:21 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: I think Burke or Brunson will start next game with Hardaway sliding up to the 3. 

I'm guessing Burke to try and break down the defense a bit more while also letting Brunson stay in his usual role. 

Kleber isn't doing much offensively now and you can't say he's doing anything against Kawhi. 
We're not able to slow them down much defensively with defenders so might as lean in to the offense.

My question is:  Why isn't Kleber doing much offensively?  Is it his natural playing style, the game plan, or has he been told to stand on the perimeter and pass the ball.  In all cases it boils down to the coaches.  When he is open...he should shoot.  At other times he should move strongly to the basket.  Why doesn't he?  It's on the coaches....and Kleber.  I think Keber is strong enough and mobile enough to step up like Randle did this year.  

I haven't seen any single person stop Kawhi.  I would throw defense by committee at him.

I would throw the strongest team defense at them that I could and, yes, lean in to the offense.
Like Reply
The more I think about it, I think I replace Maxi with Powell in the starting lineup if the Clipps stay small.   By going small, the Clippers are making it tough for DFS and Maxi to provide any offense by switching on everything and trying to stay on shooters.   Powell might be able to muck things up a little by rim running and with his energy.  I was thinking about moving Hardaway back to the bench, but I just don't think Richardson provides enough scoring and I think a hot offensive start is important for this team after two tough outings.  

Now inserting Powell in the starting lineup causes new problems for the Mavs and defense will be tricky, but I think I would like to see this.
Like Reply
(06-01-2021, 08:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was thinking about moving Hardaway back to the bench, but I just don't think Richardson provides enough scoring and I think a hot offensive start is important for this team after two tough outings.
The last 2 games:
THJ scored 12 points in 40 minutes and 4 points in 25 minutes.
JRich scored 4 points in 15 minutes and 5 points in 20 minutes.

Tell me again how THJ provides enough scoring? THJ off the bench has shown in the season that when he is hot, can score 30 points. That is his role, to score. When he's not scoring, he doesn't have to get as many minutes coming off the bench. Every game we've played our bench hasn't been keeping up with theirs, maybe THJ coming off the bench and scoring is the best thing?
Like Reply
I would insert Josh Richardson back into the starting lineup if the Clippers come out with the small-ball lineup (why wouldn't they).

My starting lineup:

Luka
THJ
J-Rich
DFS
KP

Bench:

Brunson
Burke 
Green (needs to play...I believe he can provide energy off the bench)
Kleber
Powell or WCS
Like Reply
The argument about Luka not allowing KP to play his game is the same for THJ. Looking at the regular season vs each playoff game:

Regular season THJ's usage rate is 23.4% (31 games started out of 70 games played)

Playoff usage per game:
GM 1: 23.9% 
GM 2: 23.7%
GM 3: 16.4%
GM 4: 15.9%

Why would that be on Luka (could be coach's decision, maybe)? He's the one that controls where the ball goes for the vast majority of the game.

Is that because THJ just didn't have it in the beginning so he didn't get more chances? If so, why play him more than JRich?
Like Reply
(06-01-2021, 08:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The more I think about it, I think I replace Maxi with Powell in the starting lineup if the Clipps stay small.   By going small, the Clippers are making it tough for DFS and Maxi to provide any offense by switching on everything and trying to stay on shooters.   Powell might be able to muck things up a little by rim running and with his energy.  I was thinking about moving Hardaway back to the bench, but I just don't think Richardson provides enough scoring and I think a hot offensive start is important for this team after two tough outings.  

Now inserting Powell in the starting lineup causes new problems for the Mavs and defense will be tricky, but I think I would like to see this.

Ya I really think Luka after a couple days rest will be closer to typical Luka and our best offensive lineup is going to have THJ/Powell in it. I think if Mavs end up trading baskets with Clips that's okay. In the first couple of games if I recall both teams had really high FG% and Mavs won those games. On defense individually there's not a lot you can do so you just try to communicate decent enough to give an okay team defense. If KL is going to shoot like 80% for the series then we're not going to win in any scenario. Law of averages would say he is do to come down a little bit. The big thing is trying to just cut down on penetration, even mixing in some zone or building a wall or something to make Clips rely more on jump shooting which can come and go.
Like Reply