Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mavs 108, Clippers 118
Luka needs at leat 1 or 2 preferably players who can do more than camp at the 3 point line and chuck shots...

And every player minus DFS and Luka should be ashamed playing like that in the house Dirk built...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(05-29-2021, 08:06 PM)Branduil Wrote: Luka's teammates aren't bad at creating shots because Luka dominates the ball, Luka dominates the ball because his teammates are bad at creating shots. Like, we have two seasons of evidence now that KP is basically incapable of creating a shot for himself.

SO. MUCH. THIS.
Like Reply
(05-29-2021, 07:50 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: They need more of a flow offense like in Dirk/JKidd days where the ball touches more hands. This is the conundrum with a superstar scoring PG. He can do great things, but when they guy who brings up the ball is also the scorer when he feels he needs to take the game over, the team can become one dimensional. 

Mavs need to move the ball, and it can always get back to Luka later in the shot clock. But, I want to see them make the defense move by swinging the ball from side to side more. Also, I think this would keep KP and the others more engaged. I imagine the Clips game plan was let Luka get his and limit others.

I love Luka, and not trying to criticize when he is playing other worldly shooting the ball, but Rick needs to dial up the flow offense, and Luka needs to trust it and his teammates a bit more.

I agree, Mavs need to play flow offense,  and honestly I always wanted Mavs to have Luka to be de facto PG like Lebron through his career, rather than only PG in starting line up.

That said, we don't have the personal for that in this series
Like Reply
(05-29-2021, 12:35 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Also last night it was apparent that we need a good defensive assistant coach...
We need a headcoach who has won a playoff series these last ten years.

Carlisle had more than enough time. To me he either wind this series or needs to be fired.

Ten years of this constant loosing is too much.
Like Reply
(05-29-2021, 10:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: SO. MUCH. THIS.
That’s on the GM. Dirk had the same issue for a long time.

Just. Not. Good. Enough.

Donnie needs to be fired regardless of the outcome of this series. The state of this roster outside of Luka is a problem they haven’t been able to fix in forever. We don’t even have our picks available to trade.

Just shitty GMing.
Like Reply
(05-29-2021, 07:50 PM)LifeAquatic Wrote: They need more of a flow offense like in Dirk/JKidd days where the ball touches more hands. This is the conundrum with a superstar scoring PG. He can do great things, but when they guy who brings up the ball is also the scorer when he feels he needs to take the game over, the team can become one dimensional. 

Mavs need to move the ball, and it can always get back to Luka later in the shot clock. But, I want to see them make the defense move by swinging the ball from side to side more. Also, I think this would keep KP and the others more engaged. I imagine the Clips game plan was let Luka get his and limit others.

I love Luka, and not trying to criticize when he is playing other worldly shooting the ball, but Rick needs to dial up the flow offense, and Luka needs to trust it and his teammates a bit more.

The Mavs played the first two games this way, and started Game Three with several Mavs getting opportunities. 

I have been thinking a lot about that spectacular three-minute collapse when Luka went out, which ended when the Mavs intentionally fouled to get Luka back in the game. 

Why didn't they ever recover from that? I am wondering if that operated as a giant confidence-killer. After that, their beautiful offense devolved into, "Give it to Luka," or when that wasn't possible, "Call your own number." They looked afraid to run their normal stuff.
Like Reply
(05-29-2021, 08:06 PM)Branduil Wrote: Like, we have two seasons of evidence now that KP is basically incapable of creating a shot for himself.

KP has never really been able to create his shot and I don't know why that's a surprise. He's a post up player that needs to be set up. The only person on this roster that can throw an entry pass into the post consistently is Luka. That's not KP's fault.

Quick Edit: While it isn't KP's fault that he's being ignored by our guards every time he's in post position, it IS KP's fault that when he does get the ball he's careless with it.

I counted 3 times he turned into Kawhi Leonard/Rondo only to get stripped easily because he showed the ball. Post-up 101, you never show the ball into your defender. 

He settled numerous times for long two's when he wasn't in rhythm. Again, KP's fault.

Thankfully these are fixable things. I just hope he fixes his damn attitude.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 01:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's a post up player.

But he's not. Like, at all. He's terrible in the post, imo. I know the PPP puts him above average (I heard 59th percentile the other day), but what do YOUR eyes tell you? When he gets the ball in the post, do you see possessions that you wish the Mavs could replicate? I mean, some nights his turnaround from the extended free throw line areas looks great, but he doesn't really have anything else.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 01:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But he's not. Like, at all. He's terrible in the post, imo. I know the PPP puts him above average (I heard 59th percentile the other day), but what do YOUR eyes tell you? When he gets the ball in the post, do you see possessions that you wish the Mavs could replicate? I mean, some nights his turnaround from the extended free throw line areas looks great, but he doesn't really have anything else.

KP's game has always been post centered and it's his bread and butter since he came into the league. On the Mavs it's been reduced and that feels like that decision has come from RC and what he thinks KP should be like in this offense.

While I agree with you that the nights where he his jumper isn't falling he looks largely non-existent but I don't think that means KP has nothing else to his game. The system he's in doesn't play to his strengths to begin with, and KP seems hellbent on sticking his feet in the sand and not adapting. Further most of our guards seem to actively avoid giving him any consistent touches. I forgive Luka for doing that because when Luka shoots its almost always better than when anyone else shoots. 
But we see JB/THJ/JRich all actively avoid looking at KP, even when he has solid post position down low. And it feels like they can't even throw a proper entry pass anyways so it's a moot point.  Now we have a guy who's been relegated already to only use 2 facets of his game (spot up shooting, occasional post up) by the coach, is now further reduced in his role in the offense by giving him inconsistent touches even when Luka sits. It's no surprise that KP disappears and gets frustrated. 

He doesn't have a go-to move that much is obvious and that DOES hurt his ability to succeed in this scheme. But there's also plenty of other reasons why KP disappears. A lot of it falls on Carlisle and his detached feigned care for fixing this issue. The blame also falls on KP for seemingly lack of any sort of agency.
KP CAN bring a lot more to the table. We've seen it time and again. The question is does KP want to actually bring it? And will Carlisle let him?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 02:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He doesn't have a go-to move that much is obvious and that DOES hurt his ability to succeed in this scheme. But there's also plenty of other reasons why KP disappears. A lot of it falls on Carlisle and his detached feigned care for fixing this issue. The blame also falls on KP for seemingly lack of any sort of agency.
KP CAN bring a lot more to the table. We've seen it time and again. The question is does KP want to actually bring it? And will Carlisle let him?
Pretty spot on.
Like Reply
@"SleepingHero"

Do you really believe that RC is pretending to care and isn't letting KP contribute?
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: @SleepingHero

Do you really believe that RC is pretending to care and isn't letting KP contribute?

I don't think Carlisle is not letting KP contribute, which is why I put half of the blame on KP. KP not contributing with the hand he's dealt is his fault given that he's a max player. If he wants to think he's one of the best in the league adaptability is a skillset he needs to have. 

But I think it's naïve to not also recognize that Carlisle hasn't tried to integrate KP more. Again, it's a hard job because of KP's lack of go-to move's, but it's doable and that's why RC gets paid. 

Do you really think the Mavs are using KP to his fullest extent?

Quick edit: Of course I can also be entirely wrong and whatever RC is doing now is hiding all of KP's flaws and he's bringing the best out of him. Given what we saw of KP in NYK and heck even last year, I tend to believe this isn't the case.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: @"SleepingHero"

Yeah, it's getting to the point where I just stop reading when people try to blame Carlisle for this, even posters I respect a lot, like @"SleepingHero". I think that opinion is so insanely far from the truth that I can't even understand the seed of it. Time and time again, Carlisle goes out of his way to get the ball to KP in "his spots" (spoiler alert, he has no spots). Time and time again, Carlisle defends him in interviews.

I give Carlisle less than 1% of the blame for this situation, at least given what we knowThe reality is that KP has simply not played well on either end this season, with the exception of maybe 10-12 games, total. I actually think game 2 of this series was one of them, so there's a little hope, and I can respect the opinion some have that there's hope for him to become more of a positive contributor in the future, even if I disagree. But this notion that Rick Carlisle, who's probably better at his job than any of us are at ours, isn't doing anything and everything possible to get Porzingis, his highest paid player who the franchise went all-in to to put on this roster, to play in a way where his strengths contribute to winning basketball is nut-bar factor 7 to me. It really is. 
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:  I don't think Carlisle is not letting KP contribute, which is why I put half of the blame on KP. KP not contributing with the hand he's dealt is his fault.

But I think it's naïve to not also recognize that Carlisle hasn't tried to integrate KP more. Again, it's a hard job because of KP's lack of go-to move's, but it's doable and that's why RC gets paid. 

Do you really think the Mavs are using KP to his fullest extent?

What would constitute "trying to integrate KP more"? Do you want the Mavs to feature throwing the ball to KP and letting him go to work? Do you think that would have us in a better position in this playoff series?
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Do you really think the Mavs are using KP to his fullest extent?

I think that for this season, what we've seen from KP has been "his fullest extent" for this season, yeah. He used to be more promising, and perhaps he will be again. Maybe this is just a year-long blip in what will end up being a hall of fame career. But this season, for whatever reason, the dude looks too raw and too washed simultaneously. He doesn't seem to understand what to do, or when to do it. Almost every time he is given a live ball at the elbow, I wish they'd have tried something else. Almost every time he's involved in any type of screen action by the other team, I wish WCS or Powell was on the floor instead. I see no reason to search past the obvious to find reasons for this.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:23 PM)fifteenth Wrote: What would constitute "trying to integrate KP more"? Do you want the Mavs to feature throwing the ball to KP and letting him go to work? Do you think that would have us in a better position in this playoff series?

I think running more set plays for KP would be a start. One play I don't understand why RC hasn't tried to run is any old variations of the plays they used to run for Dirk all the time. 

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAzF9fvMNJk

These mid range areas are all where KP likes to shoot from. They're rhythm shots and it gets the offense moving. Maybe RC doesn't think KP is good enough? I don't know. But I don't see why they can't try.

Another good example would be a Steph Curry like play where we send KP down low and he chooses a screen to run around from. The opposing big is often too slow and will be forced to play like a guard. KP can hit these moving threes. 

(No I'm not saying KP is like Steph. This is just the only concise video I could find). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6iG4o6pu6g

RC likes to use KP as a spacer and plants him out where he isn't involved in the main offensive sets. When Luka sits, KP gets post ups but it's a mixed bag whether or not its his night.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:09 PM)fifteenth Wrote: @"SleepingHero"

It seems to me that the team has bent over backward to comply/put up with KP's various demands and antics. 

For example --

Spending parts of every game forgoing the flow offense in order to force the ball into KP. 

Redoing their rotations to fit KP's demands. 

Letting him wait to have his knee surgery until October, resulting in his missing training camp and the first part of the season. 

Complying with his request to make inquiries about trading him at the deadline. 

Putting up with his constant passive-aggressive media comments. Even after Game Three, he said he intends to do what he can to defend and rebound, "to keep myself engaged." Bruh. It's the playoffs.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:23 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Do you think that would have us in a better position in this playoff series?

Also forgot to answer this.

No I don't think featuring KP more would have us up 3-0 right now. The keys to this series are THJ/DFS/JRich/Kleber. They need to shoot well. If they're on, the Mavs are going to get the extra 50 points they need on top of Luka's 40 and KP's 10-15.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:34 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: It seems to me that the team has bent over backward to comply/put up with KP's various demands and antics. 

For example --

Spending parts of every game forgoing the flow offense in order to force the ball into KP. 

Redoing their rotations to fit KP's demands. 

Letting him wait to have his knee surgery until October, resulting in his missing training camp and the first part of the season. 

Complying with his request to make inquiries about trading him at the deadline. 

Putting up with his constant passive-aggressive media comments. Even after Game Three, he said he intends to do what he can to defend and rebound, "to keep myself engaged." Bruh. It's the playoffs.
There is at least 1 bit of insider info in there. “Complying with his request to make inquiries about trading him at the deadline.”

Maybe we need to look deeper into the organization than Followil to know your true identity!
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:34 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: It seems to me that the team has bent over backward to comply/put up with KP's various demands and antics. 

For example --

Spending parts of every game forgoing the flow offense in order to force the ball into KP. Our offense is heliocentric and needs variety. We saw in game 3 what having a one dimensional attack leads to. 

Redoing their rotations to fit KP's demands. KP complained about going out so early and not having a rhythm. After RC made the change in Feb. the Mavs went on a run and the season turned around. Perhaps it was a valid critique? 

Letting him wait to have his knee surgery until October, resulting in his missing training camp and the first part of the season. Do you have evidence that it was KP/his camp that ignored the Mavs and chose to wait? By all reports it seemed like it was a mutual choice to let swelling reduce to see if it can heal without surgery. Also it seemed like the league did not think they'd restart so early, so I don't know why you think KP wanted to miss training camp?

Complying with his request to make inquiries about trading him at the deadline. What? Do you have any proof that KP put in a request to make inquires over the TDL? From all accounts it seems like either the Mavs looked for trades if you believe the national guys. If you believe the Mavs/Stein, it was the other teams that was interested in KP and made calls to the Mavs which they turned them down. Why are you making stuff up? 

I agree KP's attitude has been poor in the playoffs. 

There are a lot of things to critique KP on. I don't see why we need to stretch the truth/make things up. 
Like Reply