Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mavs 108, Clippers 118
I don't really understand why all the discussion is about offense. Offense is not a problem, offense is phenomenal. Defense is a problem and KP is far from the only one to blame. I hope first two wins got a little bit in Mavs heads especially after atomic start. Now its a time to grind it out. DFS and Maxi have to put more resistance against George and Kawhi and the rest need to stop the other Clippers.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:32 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think running more set plays for KP would be a start. One play I don't understand why RC hasn't tried to run is any old variations of the plays they used to run for Dirk all the time. 

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAzF9fvMNJk

These mid range areas are all where KP likes to shoot from. They're rhythm shots and it gets the offense moving. Maybe RC doesn't think KP is good enough? I don't know. But I don't see why they can't try.

Another good example would be a Steph Curry like play where we send KP down low and he chooses a screen to run around from. The opposing big is often too slow and will be forced to play like a guard. KP can hit these moving threes. 

(No I'm not saying KP is like Steph. This is just the only concise video I could find). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6iG4o6pu6g

RC likes to use KP as a spacer and plants him out where he isn't involved in the main offensive sets. When Luka sits, KP gets post ups but it's a mixed bag whether or not its his night.

Dirk of the ball movement is lights ahead of KP tbf, maybe not young Dirk (I started following Mavs when he was 30, so no idea) but during that video and that time.
In addition, C was just elite in setting every type of screen, do we have someone like him? I am not a Data type of guy but the only one that comes to mind is DP but he isn't that good in setting off the ball screens like TC 

The comparison with Curry seems off, I don't think KP has the speed for it at all, even against big men.

(05-30-2021, 03:46 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't really understand why all the discussion is about offense. Offense is not a problem, offense is phenomenal. Defense is a problem and KP is far from the only one to blame. I hope first two wins got a little bit in Mavs heads especially after atomic start. Now its a time to grind it out. DFS and Maxi have to put more resistance against George and Kawhi and the rest need to stop the other Clippers.

First statement is fair, but the rest of the discussion isn't. 
No one player is going to slow Kawhi or PG, the big man need to help. 
KP not challenging shots and closing the paint is huge problem, bigger than DFS or Maxi who are doing there best this series, and I am not sure there are many guys around the league who could do better without having a big to protect the rim and lead the defense
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:32 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think running more set plays for KP would be a start. One play I don't understand why RC hasn't tried to run is any old variations of the plays they used to run for Dirk all the time. 

I think the answer is pretty obvious. I used to think that KP could turn into a great shooter but he is below average from 3. Average from midrange. His motion looks great and he has deep 3-point range but the percentages are mediocre.
In his prime Dirk was shooting 50% on long 2s. Combined with a high FTA that´s efficient offense. KP is slightly above 40%. Not enough. Especially in the modern NBA. Overall offensive efficiency is reaching new highs.

League average TS in 2021: 57.2%. KP 58.2% (career high)
League average TS in 2011: 52.7% Dirk 60.1%
League average TS in 2001: 51.8% Dirk 61.1%
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Our offense is heliocentric and needs variety. We saw in game 3 what having a one dimensional attack leads to. 

127.3 O-Rating. Low tov rate. Above average scoring efficiency. Game wasn´t lost on offense. @"omahen" already mentioned it. Offense is fine (with or without KP). Defense is the problem.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: There are a lot of things to critique KP on. I don't see why we need to stretch the truth/make things up.
I am making nothing up. It gives me no pleasure to say any of this. You are free to believe what you want, of course. 

I have defended KP in the past. I am not saying that he is not a good person. It may well be that he would be a better fit on a different roster. I personally think that injuries have taken their toll, and suspect that he will never be the player he once was. Would love to be wrong about that. I respect you as a poster. 

What I find incredible is the idea that RC and the team are intentionally sabotaging him on the court. Really?
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:48 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: KP not challenging shots and closing the paint is huge problem

But he can't do that because he is taken out of the paint on the three point line after one of Clippers shooters. Same as Zubac on the other side. Pick your poison - help on Kawhi/George and allow a ton of wide open threes or close those threes and leave Maxi/DFS on an island.
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0JgyBJAzQ

Sorry to for interruption, but please take a second and re-watch this clip if you already watched it.

KP is just not the same as he was, this year he had a loooot of health and conditioning problems and this can be seeeeeen from Venus. 
We all know that, we need healthy KP big time, but for now we have to use his shooting skills because his other tools are not in best shape this year. His shooting eff on the other side is the best this year in his career.
Speaking of that with KP as unicorn or big cow Mavs just have to find the way to win this Clips. 

In the G1 and G2 RC always responded successfully to the tactical changes of the Clips, but in the G3 this did not go so well for him. Lue paid more attention to Luka’s support staff, closing passes against them and better defending them. I think Kwahi has been chasing Tim hard around for quite some time. In addition they lowered and accelerated the team for much more time than in G1,2 and since the Mavs just don’t have a rim protector, they could afford it. Realising that despite their solid 3 point shooting they just can't win the games us ultra 3pt PO Mavs, they attacked RC on a polygon that he considered obsolete, a 2 point game.

Luka 44pts, all others (8 pcs) 74pts. That's result of Clips tactic change and Mavs not responding well. With such O distribution of the attack realisation is very, very difficult to win the game in PO's. At the same time, Clips knocked down two more of this year’s Mavss milestones, the Q4 lead being 100% win and the higher 3pt% in the game was a 100% win as well. WAS. Ouch! (I'am not sure for second milestone mentioned, I beleive I heard that somewhere..)
Well I just hope Mavs will smartly adapt game strategy and successfully execute it. 
And beat these bloody Clips this year in PO's!

Pinpointing on one player in this moment is Sad.  We're in PO's and Mavs will win or die as a team. As a Team we have this moment.
I just wish good luck to RC first and to the players right behind!
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 04:29 PM)LukTheShadow Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0JgyBJAzQ

Sorry to for interruption, but please take a second and re-watch this clip if you already watched it.

KP is just not the same as he was, this year he had a loooot of health and conditioning problems and this can be seeeeeen from Venus. 

Lue paid more attention to Luka’s support staff, closing passes against them and better defending them. I think Kwahi has been chasing Tim hard around for quite some time.

In addition they lowered and accelerated the team for much more time than in G1,2 and since the Mavs just don’t have a rim protector, they could afford it.

Pinpointing on one player in this moment is Sad.  We're in PO's and Mavs will win or die as a team. As a Team we have this moment.
I just wish good luck to RC first and to the players right behind!

Thanks for your thoughts, Luk.

I particularly agree with these takeaways --

KP is not what he was physically. 

The Clips did seem to have a strategy of letting Luka get his, and focusing more on the other Mavs, especially KP and THJ.

The Mavs' lack of rim protection was devastating. 

The loss was not down to any one player.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think the answer is pretty obvious. I used to think that KP could turn into a great shooter but he is below average from 3. Average from midrange. His motion looks great and he has deep 3-point range but the percentages are mediocre.
In his prime Dirk was shooting 50% on long 2s. Combined with a high FTA that´s efficient offense. KP is slightly above 40%. Not enough. Especially in the modern NBA. Overall offensive efficiency is reaching new highs.

League average TS in 2021: 57.2%. KP 58.2% (career high)
League average TS in 2011: 52.7% Dirk 60.1%
League average TS in 2001: 51.8% Dirk 61.1%

I wasn't trying to compare KP to Dirk. KP isn't close to Dirk and never will be. 

I understand that KP is close to average, hovering maybe above average in the mid range. What I was trying to say is that those old plays for Dirk where he ran off of screens could be a different way to use KP that RC hasn't tried, because fif asked what I'd do differently. By having KP cut off of screens perhaps we'd get him involved more and give him different looks. I am by no means trying to suggest building the offense around KP and these plays. But to sprinkle them in and to add variety.

(05-30-2021, 03:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 127.3 O-Rating. Low tov rate. Above average scoring efficiency. Game wasn´t lost on offense. @omahen already mentioned it. Offense is fine (with or without KP). Defense is the problem.

Totally agree that D is the main issue. Luka is just that good on O that no matter what we'll be good on that end. 

(05-30-2021, 03:48 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Dirk of the ball movement is lights ahead of KP tbf, maybe not young Dirk (I started following Mavs when he was 30, so no idea) but during that video and that time.
In addition, C was just elite in setting every type of screen, do we have someone like him? I am not a Data type of guy but the only one that comes to mind is DP but he isn't that good in setting off the ball screens like TC 

The comparison with Curry seems off, I don't think KP has the speed for it at all, even against big men.

That's a fair critique. KP even though he's so mobile for his size isn't anywhere near young Dirk and his fluidity. I do think DFS/Maxi/THJ all can set passable screens to free KP up though. If anything KP is our worst screen setter.

And again I wasn't trying to compare KP to Curry (I even said that comment in my OP!!). But I do think KP has the foot speed to beat other bigs around screens. I do see the trepidation though and it's a valid point.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-30-2021, 03:58 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I am making nothing up. It gives me no pleasure to say any of this. You are free to believe what you want, of course. 

I have defended KP in the past. I am not saying that he is not a good person. It may well be that he would be a better fit on a different roster. I personally think that injuries have taken their toll, and suspect that he will never be the player he once was. Would love to be wrong about that. I respect you as a poster. 

What I find incredible is the idea that RC and the team are intentionally sabotaging him on the court. Really?

I only say you're making stuff up because unless you have some super secret info that you can share and validate you're adding a new wrinkle to these trade rumors/surgery stuff that's never been reported on. 

I respect you as a poster too and I agree that KP might be a better fit on a different roster. I don't see how you can get "RC is intentionally sabotaging him on the court" from my comments. I don't think it's a stretch to see that RC doesn't make KP a priority. Not saying it's a wrong choice, but we're looking to make adjustments in a series and having KP produce can only help.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply