Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mavs 127, Clippers 121
(05-26-2021, 07:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's fair and a good point. Though I will say that defending in the NBA is getting harder and harder. Especially for bigs.

I mean there are maybe what, 2 centers in the league that can hang with guards on the perimeter and even they get stuck in no mans land often. Sure there are combo forwards that are better suited to deal with PnR attacks but they come with their own deficiencies.

KP HAS to get better guarding in space I agree with you. He seems a step slow compared to last year for sure (which could be due to a condensed season with no training camp coming off an injury). But (and there's always a but with me with KP), KP has incredible length and it has come in handy more often than not. 

Hopefully he just keeps it up and builds on it in game 3.

Just feels like he has no position on defense. He is a good rim protector but not a great post defender and rebounder. Cannot really bang with guys like Zubac or Adams.  He obviously is not quick enough to play in a switch heavy role. Basically the anti unicorn. One big strength. A lot of flaws. Certainly possible to build a good defense around his rim protection but probably not with the Mavs current perimeter players (Luka, Brunson, THJ).
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 07:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just feels like he has no position on defense. He is a good rim protector but not a great post defender and rebounder.

I think his lack of position on defense can be detriment as much as it can be a positive. It's heavily matchup dependent as we're seeing currently. I don't think that's an inherent flaw to his game however.

I also think KP has become a damn good rebounder in his time with the Mavs. 9.5rpg last year and 8.9 rpg this year.  I also think rim protection is orders of magnitude more important than post defense given how little teams are posting up anymore. 

But at the end of the day we both agree that KP must get better at defending in space, especially if his one good trait is rim protection. He was pretty dang good at it last season. This year not so much despite some flashes during this series. I hope he continues his positive trend this series and hopefully having a healthy offseason will prime him for a better defensive year next year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 07:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think his lack of position on defense can be detriment as much as it can be a positive. It's heavily matchup dependent as we're seeing currently. I don't think that's an inherent flaw to his game however.

I also think KP has become a damn good rebounder in his time with the Mavs. 9.5rpg last year and 8.9 rpg this year.  I also think rim protection is orders of magnitude more important than post defense given how little teams are posting up anymore. 

But at the end of the day we both agree that KP must get better at defending in space, especially if his one good trait is rim protection. He was pretty dang good at it last season. This year not so much despite some flashes during this series. I hope he continues his positive trend this series and hopefully having a healthy offseason will prime him for a better defensive year next year.

I think the constant lineup changes show that the coaches see a similar problem. The right fit next to KP has been one of the most discussed topics on this board. Some people prefer a traditional bruiser to compensate for his lack of strength. Some prefer a versatile perimeter defender. Mavs tried everything. More traditional bigs like WCS/Powell. Versatile big like Maxi/Melli. Even a wing like DFS. Don´t think they are completly sold on the Maxi/KP lineup but as of now it is the best option.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 08:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don´t think they are completly sold on the Maxi/KP lineup but as of now it is the best option.

In this matchup.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:28 PM)fifteenth Wrote: OK. I posted this when I was only 5 minutes in. Almost done with it now. Seriously, you have to watch this. So much fun.

Yes! 50 some minutes of very amateur production quality. And my eyes were glued. Even the silent 30 seconds when they mistakenly thought Dame was dead. Couldn’t take my eyes off it.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:28 PM)fifteenth Wrote: OK. I posted this when I was only 5 minutes in. Almost done with it now. Seriously, you have to watch this. So much fun.

Very interesting watch. 

I don't know whether all the Clippers miscues here were primarily the result of a defensive scheme that didn't work, or primarily because the plan was executed poorly. I think there was a big dose of both involved. 

After watching both games and this, I am becoming more convinced that these two teams are pretty well matched, and that the Mavs don't have to rely on something flukey happening to win a game. The Clippers have some weaknesses, and I think Carlisle is putting on a master class in exposing them. 

I'm not saying the Clips can't win a game or two, or even the whole series, but I don't think the Mavs are as overmatched as I once feared. If anything, they look like the better side so far, largely due to the greatness of Luka and Rick, with huge assists from the role players.
Like Reply
Very interesting video. It's absolutely puzzling how actively Clippers players are trying not to get matched with Luka on defense. Esp between Leonard and Beverly it sometimes reached comical level. 

Also loved their reaction to strange play towards the end where Kawhi runs across the court trying to re-cover DFS while leaving KP completely open under the basket. This is where a switching defense goes overboard.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 07:48 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Very interesting video. It's absolutely puzzling how actively Clippers players are trying not to get matched with Luca on defense. Esp between Leonard and Beverly it sometimes reached comical level. 

Also loved their reaction to strange play towards the end where Kawhi runs across the court trying to re-cover DFS while leaving KP completely open under the basket. This is where a switching defense goes overboard.

Yeah, I enjoyed both of those items as well. The plays that had Pat and KL fighting over who got to stay with the screener were really funny. Pat Bev was literally sprinting away from Luka at times, leaving a KL that didn't look interested in staying on Luka, either. On one of Luka's 3s, Pat and KL both cover the screener like a blanket and so Luka slowly and methodically launches a 3, covered about as closely as he would be during shooting practice.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:40 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks for posting this. Great stuff!

That was an awesome video!
Like Reply
Listened to a few Clippers-oriented pods. 

Some are disgusted and let down, convinced they have been fleeced by their pretender team. 

Most are struggling to make sense of what is happening. They perceive that the only rational explanation is that the Clippers are the victims of a cruel and random universe. 

Some are openly discussing taking Luka out. "I'm not saying this should happen, but they have to find some way to stop Doncic." I hate to see things descend to this level.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 09:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Some are openly discussing taking Luka out. "I'm not saying this should happen, but they have to find some way to stop Doncic." I hate to see things descend to this level.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this on a forum from a random fan, but surprised that it would come from a podcast. But I guess some podcasts are made by just fans.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 10:11 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see this on a forum from a random fan, but surprised that it would come from a podcast. But I guess some podcasts are made by just fans.
The podders were trying to stay on the edge of the ledge, trying to pretend they were not inciting violence. 

"I'm not saying this would be right, but . . . ." 

Disgraceful, if you ask me, not that anyone did, lol.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 11:12 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Disgraceful, if you ask me, not that anyone did, lol.

They should ask you, you being famous and all. ;-)
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 11:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote: They should ask you, you being famous and all. ;-)

hahaha
Like Reply
I am absolutely terrified that in their frustration, Morris or Beverly will work to take out Luka. Marcus Morrris already tried it last year, and Beverly has history (Westbrook) so it’s not like it would be out of character.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 11:33 AM)DrMav Wrote: I am absolutely terrified that in their frustration, Morris or Beverly will work to take out Luka. Marcus Morrris already tried it last year, and Beverly has history (Westbrook) so it’s not like it would be out of character.

To be completely honest, the MAVS have seemed like the bullies this time around. I had no idea Luka was capable of such verbal savagery. He's talking trash out there non-stop.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 11:35 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I had now idea Luka was capable of such verbal savagery. He's talking trash out there non-stop.

Luka was observing last season. This time he is all in Smile

And Clippers definitely lack the edge they had last season. They were far more aggresive last season
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 11:33 AM)DrMav Wrote: I am absolutely terrified that in their frustration, Morris or Beverly will work to take out Luka. Marcus Morrris already tried it last year, and Beverly has history (Westbrook) so it’s not like it would be out of character.

That's my second biggest fear the rest of the series, is Luka's health if one of those punks decide to take it their frustration on him. 

My first being that the Clips come to life and win the next four.
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 09:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Listened to a few Clippers-oriented pods. 

Some are disgusted and let down, convinced they have been fleeced by their pretender team. 

Most are struggling to make sense of what is happening. They perceive that the only rational explanation is that the Clippers are the victims of a cruel and random universe. 

Some are openly discussing taking Luka out. "I'm not saying this should happen, but they have to find some way to stop Doncic." I hate to see things descend to this level.

(05-27-2021, 10:11 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see this on a forum from a random fan, but surprised that it would come from a podcast. But I guess some podcasts are made by just fans.

I definitely expect to see some sleazy shenanigans tomorrow night from Rajon Rondo and/or Marcus Morris Sr. and/or Patrick Beverley and/or Reggie Jackson and/or Terance Mann and/or Nicolas Batum.

I also would not be surprised to see Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Ivica Zubac, and Serge Ibaka chip in with some short-fused chippiness.

And, last but not least, don't forget that the Clippers have yet to unleash their three deadliest secret weapons  —  DeMarcus Cousins, Luke Kennard, and Yogi Ferrell!!!
Like Reply
(05-27-2021, 11:37 AM)embellisher Wrote: That's my second biggest fear the rest of the series, is Luka's health if one of those punks decide to take it their frustration on him. 

My first being that the Clips come to life and win the next four.

I'm right out there with you.
Like Reply