Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mavs 127, Clippers 121
(05-26-2021, 05:15 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: KP is the 3th or 4th option on offense. THJ emerged as the 2nd option. Brunson has a higer usage as well.

This is because Clippers have Kawhi on him. As soon as they didn't, he scored efficiently. Just as THJ and Brunson are scoring efficiently against weaker Clippers defenders that are put on them.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 03:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Oh man, this is fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XkoVjIvmc

OK. I posted this when I was only 5 minutes in. Almost done with it now. Seriously, you have to watch this. So much fun.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:21 PM)omahen Wrote: This is because Clippers have Kawhi on him. As soon as they didn't, he scored efficiently. Just as THJ and Brunson are scoring efficiently against weaker Clippers defenders that are put on them.

Nailed it...others are feasting due to KP being guarded like he is...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:21 PM)omahen Wrote: This is because Clippers have Kawhi on him. As soon as they didn't, he scored efficiently. Just as THJ and Brunson are scoring efficiently against weaker Clippers defenders that are put on them.

Most likely but I actually like it. As a spot up shooter or cutter he still provides spacing. He isn´t clogging the paint with his post up attempts (remember some of the games in march). That should be te blue print for the future. More Brook Lopez 2.0. Less Embiid//Towns light.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 03:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Oh man, this is fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XkoVjIvmc

My goodness, I enjoyed this!

The thing that sticks out to me with several looks at some of these plays is that this is all happening because the Clippers don't want to leave shooters to take away Luka's driving lanes. Now, he's STILL often making them collapse and rotate late in the possession, but early on, those lanes are available, and he's killing his defender, specifically because nobody on that team is helping each other. That's because they're worried about DFS, THJ, Kleber and Porzingis on the perimeter. 

But, is that strategy paying off in terms of limiting the Mavs' ability to get those catch and shoot 3's in the hoop? HELLLLLL NO, IT IS NOT. 

If THIS is how the Mavs are shooting BEFORE the Clippers all out commit to cutting Luka's drives off, how are those percentages going to to look if/when they finally abandon that and start helping EARLY? Yikes. 

Also, and I can't stress this enough, Carlisle's offense is a thing of absolute beauty, and it seems like this year's team is finally understanding how it works. 

What a great week to be a Mavs fan.
Like Reply
https://i.redd.it/okgmryotle171.jpg
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My goodness, I enjoyed this!

The thing that sticks out to me with several looks at some of these plays is that this is all happening because the Clippers don't want to leave shooters to take away Luka's driving lanes. Now, he's STILL often making them collapse and rotate late in the possession, but early on, those lanes are available, and he's killing his defender, specifically because nobody on that team is helping each other. That's because they're worried about DFS, THJ, Kleber and Porzingis on the perimeter. 

But, is that strategy paying off in terms of limiting the Mavs' ability to get those catch and shoot 3's in the hoop? HELLLLLL NO, IT IS NOT. 

If THIS is how the Mavs are shooting BEFORE the Clippers all out commit to cutting Luka's drives off, how are those percentages going to to look if/when they finally abandon that and start helping EARLY? Yikes. 

Also, and I can't stress this enough, Carlisle's offense is a thing of absolute beauty, and it seems like this year's team is finally understanding how it works. 

What a great week to be a Mavs fan.

Yeah, my overall takeaway is pretty much the same. This team is just flat out running their offense. They are running it like they've been doing it for years. They're comfortable in it. They're carving the defense to pieces, and look relaxed while doing it. They're focused, precise and not stressed. It reminds me of Rick's quote before game 2 that was something like, "this is a business trip".
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:29 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Nailed it...others are feasting due to KP being guarded like he is...

Others are feasting because Luka is drawing double and triple teams. Kawhi isn´t glued to KP. He is helping off him. Not to mention that in game two PG and Batum guarded KP for quite some time.
I get that some of us go overboard with the KP bashing (including me in the game thread) but the reverse glorification is even worse. Easy to make a case that he has been the worst starter in the first two games.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:43 PM)fifteenth Wrote: This team is just flat out running their offense. They are running it like they've been doing it for years. They're comfortable in it. They're carving the defense to pieces, and look relaxed while doing it.

Absolutely. This is what one could have reasonably expected from the team this year, after having such an amazing offensive season last year, given enough continuity. 

And then, the world broke. At the very least, it seems clear to me that Carlisle made better use of the practice time these teams got during that play-in week than Lue did.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/LAClippersFilm/statu...3770823680
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Absolutely. This is what one could have reasonably expected from the team this year, after having such an amazing offensive season last year, given enough continuity. 

And then, the world broke. At the very least, it seems clear to me that Carlisle made better use of the practice time these teams got during that play-in week than Lue did.

True, but it's amazing to me that they're not running the exact same stuff. They're not pnr heavy this year. It's not just layups, lobs and 3s. And Timmy isn't just spotting up. He's carving up the defense with passes too. It's like good passing is contagious. Most of the running is happening without the ball. And everyone has bought into carving up the D with good passing.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:52 PM)fifteenth Wrote: True, but it's amazing to me that they're not running the exact same stuff. They're not pnr heavy this year. It's not just layups, lobs and 3s. And Timmy isn't just spotting up. He's carving up the defense with passes too. It's like good passing is contagious. Most of the running is happening without the ball. And everyone has bought into carving up the D with good passing.

...it's ALMOST as if the coach took mostly the same group (continuity) further into the offense, building on top of what they had learned last season. 

[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: ...it's ALMOST as if the coach took mostly the same group (continuity) further into the offense, building on top of what they had learned last season. 

Hold on...is that allowed?
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 12:29 PM)Jommybone Wrote: 7. Speaking of which, it looks to me like it took Jalen Brunson about 6 minutes of playoff experience to get that there was going to be significant, unwhistled mauling every time he touched the ball. He adjusted faster than any young player I’ve ever seen. He anticipates and attacks the physicality like a kid who grew up playing one-on-one against an older brother. (Which makes me wonder if that was actually the case.) And of course, attacking the physicality tends to make it worse and can even force the whistles. I’m so impressed with him. 

Kudos to this.

I think JB's experience in the NCAA march madness is REALLY helping him out there. I mean heck Brunson was a big part of both of those championships and I think him redshirting last playoffs also is helping his adjustment. 

I hope Brunson keeps it up and doesn't look back. I do shudder how this will affect his next contract though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
KP is also a great, easy to find option out of double teams. Like a giant tight end. Impossible to miss.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 05:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: B) KP's contract and status within the Mavs organization are both far greater than Zubac re Clippers. I think those factors make it nearly impossible for a coach, even Carlisle, to push him aside for long stretches, even if he did want to (not suggesting he does). 

I'm going to push back on this point. I don't think RC gives a lick about KP's contract. If playing KP is detrimental to winning I don't think Carlisle would 2nd guess on benching him at all. In fact we've seen him do it before.

Now an argument could be made that the system itself already puts KP at a disadvantage because it isn't built around him but that's another conversation for a different day. 

But what we know for sure is that despite some ineffective stretches, overall KP has stepped up and isn't being played off the floor. 

I just want him to start rolling harder more and be a lob threat. Maybe RC is saving that.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 06:58 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I just want him to start rolling harder more and be a lob threat.

If he started mixing that in more, then I WOULD agree that he's starting to play "center" more effectively, at least on offense. 

But just to reset: as always, it's defense that bothers me with KP. He had some good possessions in game 2, for sure. I want to see more of THAT.
Like Reply
Chuck on Luka destroying the Clippers: "Used to be white guys were scared to come to the hood, now they're coming to the hood and kicking your ass"

https://youtu.be/e3KdMEfhuZA
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 07:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But just to reset: as always, it's defense that bothers me with KP. He had some good possessions in game 2, for sure. I want to see more of THAT.

That's fair and a good point. Though I will say that defending in the NBA is getting harder and harder. Especially for bigs.

I mean there are maybe what, 2 centers in the league that can hang with guards on the perimeter and even they get stuck in no mans land often. Sure there are combo forwards that are better suited to deal with PnR attacks but they come with their own deficiencies.

KP HAS to get better guarding in space I agree with you. He seems a step slow compared to last year for sure (which could be due to a condensed season with no training camp coming off an injury). But (and there's always a but with me with KP), KP has incredible length and it has come in handy more often than not. 

Hopefully he just keeps it up and builds on it in game 3.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 07:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's fair and a good point. Though I will say that defending in the NBA is getting harder and harder. Especially for bigs.

I mean there are maybe what, 2 centers in the league that can hang with guards on the perimeter and even they get stuck in no mans land often. Sure there are combo forwards that are better suited to deal with PnR attacks but they come with their own deficiencies.

KP HAS to get better guarding in space I agree with you. He seems a step slow compared to last year for sure (which could be due to a condensed season with no training camp coming off an injury). But (and there's always a but with me with KP), KP has incredible length and it has come in handy more often than not. 

Hopefully he just keeps it up and builds on it in game 3.

All good stuff here.
Like Reply