Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mavs 127, Clippers 121
(05-26-2021, 01:58 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Nice post!

@"Jommybone" has been bringing it lately!
Like Reply
Impression #1 that I'm getting from what I've seen so far in this series:
KP, on both ends of the court, is playing like a 7-3 center (ie, a big big who is disruptive to the opponent) rather than a really big wing.

And to me, that is progress, significant, and very valuable - with much potential.

Impression #2
These Mavs - both individually, and as teammates working together - are improving at just the right time. If they can continue to figure out how to play better and better for the next few weeks, the possibilities are very interesting. I don't think we've seen their current ceiling yet.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 02:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: Impression #1 that I'm getting from what I've seen so far in this series:
KP, on both ends of the court, is playing like a 7-3 center (ie, a big big who is disruptive to the opponent) rather than a really big wing.

And to me, that is progress, significant, and very valuable - with much potential.

Impression #2
These Mavs - both individually, and as teammates working together - are improving at just the right time. If they can continue to figure out how to play better and better for the next few weeks, the possibilities are very interesting. I don't think we've seen their current ceiling yet.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 02:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: Impression #1 that I'm getting from what I've seen so far in this series:

Not trying to argue with you, but what is giving you this impression, exactly? I totally agree that this would represent significant and valuable progress, and I think he had his moments in game 2. Can you delve into the specifics of how you formed this impression? Most of the content I've consumed from basketball people I respect over the past 48 hours is from people who've formed the opposite impression.
Like Reply
Oh man, this is fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1XkoVjIvmc
Like Reply
It's from watching the games. I didn't take notes. But over and over, it appears to me KP's length and mobility has presented ongoing issues for the Clippers as he shoots over them, dunks on them, rebounds, alters shots, gets in passing lanes, and more.
Like Reply

I had a similar feeling watching 7'3" KP except that I see that he's playing a much better mix of his skills at being a real BIG Big. while also having the ability to play like a really big wing. Carlisle is giving Lue some real change up in the rotations and getting the better of it by playing big as much as he might go small.  

The Mavs with KP, Kleber, WCS and Powell all getting time really aren't small that often but conversely they've been able to keep Ibaka's minutes limited.  With Luka being the Big guard he is, throw in KP supported by strong minutes from the other Dallas BIGS and as you said It makes the Unicorn minutes and length very disruptive.

The box score somewhat bares this out for me.  On defense, his two blocks in 32 min went along with the Mavs having real rim protection presence.  I really like the minutes shake out with Kleber at 34+min while WCS with a smidge of Powell added another 18+ min

With that size supporting good size at the wings and really needing to hide only 1 small guard, this Mavs team can match up and in KP minutes even put a size advantage on the floor without losing athleticism.  Good work Rick!  Big Grin  

On defense, his presence gave Dallas some real sense of rim protection that the Clippers didn't have much without a lot of IBlocka time. 

On offense, KP was hyper efficient instead of chucking up tons of 3's like a 7'3" Curry imitation. His offense had a nice mix with 4 of 12 shots as 3's keeping him a real stretch threat and spacer while he still got in close enough to take a few easy shots over the top shorter opponents. 
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.daysoftheyear.com%2...f=1&nofb=1]
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 03:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Oh man, this is fun...

There’s some fake work going on right there bro.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:27 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: On offense, KP was hyper efficient instead of chucking up tons of 3's like a 7'3" Curry imitation. His offense had a nice mix with 4 of 12 shots as 3's keeping him a real stretch threat and spacer while he still got in close enough to take a few easy shots over the top shorter opponents. 

I absolutely agree with the above, but only in 3 of the 8 quarters, so far. 

Now, I will absolutely give him credit for those quarters being the most important quarters (4th in game 1, 3rd and 4th in game 2) and I'm happy the team has gotten that from him. It's definitely contributing to this success.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:34 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: There’s some fake work going on right there bro.

Seems like both defenses were doing some fake work in that first half!
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 03:42 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Oh man, this is fun...

Thanks for posting this. Great stuff!
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:27 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:  
The Mavs with KP, Kleber, WCS and Powell all getting time really aren't small that often but conversely they've been able to keep Ibaka's minutes limited.  With Luka being the Big guard he is, throw in KP supported by strong minutes from the other Dallas BIGS and as you said It makes the Unicorn minutes and length very disruptive.

To your point, we’ve won the rebound war both games.  We had very little time in game one where we didn’t have two of KP, Willie, Powell, Maxi or Melli on the floor.  In other words, almost ZERO time with DFS at PF.  In game two we did get some Willie/DFS at C/PF in the third (because of KP foul trouble).  But, the issue has always been KP/DFS at C/PF.  Lineups with Willie and DFS have actually worked well historically.
Like Reply
Regarding KP I will put very simple comparison. I think most people here really like Zubac, including me. Very good center. But Zubac is being played of the floor and is a zero both on offense and defense in this series so far. KP was not played off the floor, no matter what kind of line-up Clippers bring.
Like Reply
@"Hogmelon"

Hey Mr. H. Melon, here's a better one...

[Image: main-qimg-5299c8b55aa3097e5c995e93a8cb8460.webp]
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:34 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: There’s some fake work going on right there bro.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I absolutely agree with the above, but only in 3 of the 8 quarters, so far. 

Now, I will absolutely give him credit for those quarters being the most important quarters (4th in game 1, 3rd and 4th in game 2) and I'm happy the team has gotten that from him. It's definitely contributing to this success.

I’ve seen this sentiment more than once and have to ask what KP did wrong in Q-2 last night.  He was 3/4 FG including 1/1 from three for 8 points.  Plus, he had a board, a steal and a block.  Team went on a 10-4 run, but overall his 8 minutes were +0.  I had a call and missed this segment (Bally doesn’t pause well).
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ve seen this sentiment more than once and have to ask what KP did wrong in Q-2 last night.  He was 3/4 FG including 1/1 from three for 8 points.  Plus, he had a board, a steal and a block.  Team went on a 10-4 run, but overall his 8 minutes were +0.  I had a call and missed this segment (Bally doesn’t pause well).

Below is a very nice overview of the game

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/5/26/...servations
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:46 PM)omahen Wrote: Regarding KP I will put very simple comparison. I think most people here really like Zubac, including me. Very good center. But Zubac is being played of the floor and is a zero both on offense and defense in this series so far. KP was not played off the floor, no matter what kind of line-up Clippers bring.

A very good point. 

I think your implied conclusion, which I believe is that Porzingis is overcoming this targeting strategy better than Zubac, has some validity, so don't mistake anything else I say as a discounting of that. 

But, I think there are differences in their situations. Yes, Zubac is potentially a nice player in some situations, and I like his game, generally. But, there have been times, particularly early in both of these games, when KP has been similarly eaten alive by pick and roll. I think the main differences are that A) Porzingis is much more integral to what Dallas is trying to accomplish on the offensive end than Zubac re Clippers, and B) KP's contract and status within the Mavs organization are both far greater than Zubac re Clippers. I think those factors make it nearly impossible for a coach, even Carlisle, to push him aside for long stretches, even if he did want to (not suggesting he does). 

I'm on my third viewing of the game now, and overall, I'd say this was a much better effort from KP in game 2. I hope we get more of this.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:56 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I’ve seen this sentiment more than once and have to ask what KP did wrong in Q-2 last night.  He was 3/4 FG including 1/1 from three for 8 points.  Plus, he had a board, a steal and a block.  Team went on a 10-4 run, but overall his 8 minutes were +0.  I had a call and missed this segment (Bally doesn’t pause well).

During the first half, which the Clippers ultimately won, their entire strategy was to use the pick and roll to get their main ball-handlers downhill, in the paint, against KP 1 on 1. He didn't handle it very well, which greatly contributed to Kawhi's all-time great offensive half of playoff basketball. I can't remember who the color commentator was, but he went on and on and on about how effectively the Clippers were using KP's lack of mobility against them, and each time he spoke, I felt as if he was taking the thought right out of my own head. 

Offensively, yes, I thought KP had a very efficient game for all 4 quarters.

And, to his credit (and Carlisle's, and the rest of the team, for making adjustments), KP hung in there and fared much better in the 2nd half, I thought, even making some nice defensive plays as others have pointed out. Ironically, based on @"F Gump"'s comments earlier, what stuck out to me most were a few instances of him being stuck on an island on the perimeter against a more skilled player and coming close to holding his own. 

I definitely got "KP is trying harder and playing better" out of this game, but I don't know that I got "he finally gets that he's a center" out of it. That's what raised my eyebrows earlier. Either way, though, it was a step in the right direction and the series record reflects that.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 04:46 PM)omahen Wrote: Regarding KP I will put very simple comparison. I think most people here really like Zubac, including me. Very good center. But Zubac is being played of the floor and is a zero both on offense and defense in this series so far. KP was not played off the floor, no matter what kind of line-up Clippers bring.

Ask KP to defend a player like Luka on the perimeter and RC would bench him as well. He did it when the Mavs played against Boston (Marcus Smart). The Clipppers are a perfect matchup for him. No high volume pick and roll guard/wing. No good stretch big. And the player that bullied him in the first half of game one is forced of the floor because he cannot defend Luka.

I am torn on the KP topic. He was really bad in the first half of game one. Game was close because the Mavs played without any rim protection and gave up second chance points. Once Zubac was out of the game and KP was used as a decoy that takes Kawhi out of the game he looked a lot better. Creation was handled by the perimeter guys and he took advantage of easy scoring opportunities in the paint.
2nd game started just as bad on defense but on offense he looked really good. In the 2nd half he suddenly realized that he used to be a great rim protector and made big play after big play.

KP is the 3th or 4th option on offense. THJ emerged as the 2nd option. Brunson has a higer usage as well. He needs to focus on defense. That´s where the Mavs need him right now.
Like Reply