Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Trade & Free Agency 2026/2027
(07-06-2026, 01:51 PM)Smitty Wrote: All Things Mavs | Jimmy C Hoops (@All_Things_Mavs)
The Mavericks have reportedly agreed to a deal with Tarik Biberovic, according to @bugrauzar24 of EuroHoops.

The report states that a multi-year deal has been agreed to and his buyout with Feberbache is imminent.

This just made that Aldama trade better.
[-] The following 6 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to SCREW YOU Nico, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Smitty, Winter
Like Reply
That would put the Mavs at 15 roster spots:

Kyrie | Sasser | Nemby
Christie | Klay | Sergio
Flagg | Naji | Tarik
PJW | Aldama | Martin
Gafford | Morez | Lively

Still a long off-season. Plenty can still change...
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 01:56 PM)mvossman Wrote: My attitude is not sweat the rumors.  More focused on what is actually done because that is the only thing we will ever really know.

Very healthy. Respect. 

So far, everything that has actually been done has been smart, safe and defensible, imho. 

The sum of it all does, to me, point to at least one significant rotation player ending up in the "outgoing" pile, however.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to SCREW YOU Nico, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, Winter
Like Reply
Kings waive DeRozan.
Like Reply
How did they use the trade exceptions and what can the Mavs do going forward?
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 01:58 PM)Smitty Wrote: That would put the Mavs at 15 roster spots:

Kyrie | Sasser | Nemby
Christie | Klay | Sergio
Flagg | Naji | Tarik
PJW | Aldama | Martin
Gafford | Morez | Lively

Still a long off-season. Plenty can still change...

I might switch Sergio and Tarik just from playstyle.  Christie/Klay/Tarik are the shooters, and Flagg/Naji/Sergio are the playmakers.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • JamesConway816, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 01:56 PM)Smitty Wrote: @TheSteinLine
The Mavericks will soon officially acquire the draft rights to Tarik Biberović via trade and @TheSteinLinehas learned that the NBA out in the sharpshooter's contract with Turkish club Fenerbahçe expires July 7, meaning a resolution on his playing status next season is imminent.

With the July 7 deadline (news to me), that means this big trade between 4/5 teams needs to get finalized soon. There was thought that it could drag on a while with DET and others wanting to add to it possibly..
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to SCREW YOU Nico, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:02 PM)Winter Wrote: How did they use the trade exceptions and what can the Mavs do going forward?

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, Memphis' transaction from earlier today basically informs us that Aldama will NOT be absorbed into the Dallas TPE. I'm already forgetting who it was, but their reporter was suggesting it was only possible if Aldama was involved in a multi-team deal like the one Dan has been hipping us to. 

...and if so, that means that one of Dallas' bigger salaries is outgoing, and that their TPE might be intact. 

I assume that a portion of the MLE will be used for that Biberovic deal. How much, no idea. Halfish? 

Will Sasser go into that Muti-team deal? Will he be the BAE? Will he go into the larger TPE we assumed was marked for Aldama? 

I don't think we know what's possible until we get some more info, at this point.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • michaeltex, Winter
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:04 PM)Smitty Wrote: With the July 7 deadline (news to me), that means this big trade between 4/5 teams needs to get finalized soon. There was thought that it could drag on a while with DET and others wanting to add to it possibly..

Agreed. We might be in store for a big pile of news today and tomorrow.
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Unless I'm misunderstanding something, Memphis' transaction from earlier today basically informs us that Aldama will NOT be absorbed into the Dallas TPE. I'm already forgetting who it was, but their reporter was suggesting it was only possible if Aldama was involved in a multi-team deal like the one Dan has been hipping us to. 

...and if so, that means that one of Dallas' bigger salaries is outgoing, and that their TPE might be intact. 

I assume that a portion of the MLE will be used for that Biberovic deal. How much, no idea. Halfish? 

Will Sasser go into that Muti-team deal? Will he be the BAE? Will he go into the larger TPE we assumed was marked for Aldama? 

I don't think we know what's possible until we get some more info, at this point.

All good. I couldn't think fast enough to get my thoughts together. But you outline the issues nicely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • From Dirk to SCREW YOU Nico
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:03 PM)mvossman Wrote: I might switch Sergio and Tarik just from playstyle.  Christie/Klay/Tarik are the shooters, and Flagg/Naji/Sergio are the playmakers.

If no trade materializes, it sure feels like Klay will be bought out... Kind of a progress stopper for both Tarik and Sergio, right? That frees up a roster spot for Cisse, which frees up a Two-Way spot for Ishchenko. Anyway, that's one of the simplest ways for me to look at right now.
[-] The following 4 users Like Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to SCREW YOU Nico, KillerLeft, mvossman, Winter
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:11 PM)Smitty Wrote: If no trade materializes, it sure feels like Klay will be bought out... Kind of a progress stopper for both Tarik and Sergio, right? That frees up a roster spot for Cisse, which frees up a Two-Way spot for Ishchenko. Anyway, that's one of the simplest ways for me to look at right now.

I agree that's probably an option that's being considered. I'm hoping there's something a little more inspired coming as a use for him. 

Even if it's just that HE ends up being the outgoing salary in Dan's deal, somehow, I suppose I'd prefer that, honestly. Not sure why, really, but I'd feel better about it, somehow.
Like Reply
Biberovic is a very good shooter and he seems moderately athletic, but he can probably lose 15 pounds of fat and add some muscles. We saw what happened to Hedo, when the Magic put him on the juice. Maybe he has another level to go to, too. Unlike with Luka, who uses his body to bang inside, I see no benefit to his stocky build.
Like Reply
I DO believe the Hachimura stuff, after listening to a few people talk about it and piecing it together with the overseas reporting about Biberovic. I think HE was the guy holding MLE money from being offered to Biberovic.

I just think Dallas is really, really REALLY focused on adding shooting, and from literally every possible size and position.
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 10:46 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Yea, I think all our moves including our draft picks are "hmmm interesting let's see if the front office is right."   I'm not necessarily over here fist bumping at the great moves they're making.  Somewhat skeptical.  There seems to be a rush to crown Masai and Schmidt as geniuses and the previous regimes (Donnie) as idiots.  Or maybe it's just that one guy Scott41Mavs.

So far this offseason is a 6/10 for me.  There's not much more certainty about our future outlook than there was 3 months ago.

Since you chose to call me out so aggressively and directly, I’ll respond. Nellie had his moments (iirc you weren’t the bozo who called Nellie a gimmick hire, which is a great way to hang an “I am a complete dumbass” sign on oneself), as did Donnie (freaking Dirk Werner Nowitzki and Luka Doncic to start with) but Donnie was obviously hampered big time by Cuban’s smartest guy in the room schtick. The catalog of fumbles and bad decisions on the part of the Cuban/Donnie regime is encyclopedic, which you surely knew as a longtime Mavs fan, to say nothing of Sonju and Zaccanelli. 

It would have been nice to get Presti, Pop, Riley, or the Memphis guy as our new basketball man. Since those (and dodged-a-bullet Stevens) weren’t available, they got the best who was most available. A fair number of folks here are acting like Nico or some other of our, yes, crappy prior regimes was still here, second guessing the moves, etc. How many of those guys have built a championship roster? How many have picked the future All-Star from outside the top five in various drafts like Schmitz has? I’m sorry, believing that those two guys know how to build a team better than any of us armchair GMs (even FGump and Dan!) is simple above-water cognitive ability. I may disagree with some stuff M&M do, but the right response is to shrug and see how the vision plays out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Reunion Mav, Winter
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:04 PM)Smitty Wrote: With the July 7 deadline (news to me), that means this big trade between 4/5 teams needs to get finalized soon. There was thought that it could drag on a while with DET and others wanting to add to it possibly..

It sounds like his home team put an option deadline in his contract.  Similar thing happens with options here.  He could exercise a buyout for $2.0mm, but he had to do it by a certain date.

The trick, as you point out, is Dallas can't officially sign him until it actually owns his rights and that doesn't happen until the trade is official.  All of the parties have done things in a way that is independent of a larger deal.  So, if it doesn't come together in time, Dallas simply uses the TPE to do the Aldama/Biberovic deal (with AJJ outgoing).  

There were/are two advantages to Dallas of the larger deal.  One would have been to preserve the BAE as AJJ for Sasser was a trade match.  The second was the possibility of preserving the TPE if we were to send someone like Klay or Gafford out in a trade and could use that to match Aldama instead of the exception.

Time will tell I guess.  We get salary details without deals being official all of the time.  We won't hear it from the team until the deal is done, but I'm curious why Stein et al doesn't have the details yet.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:17 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Biberovic is a very good shooter and he seems moderately athletic, but he can probably lose 15 pounds of fat and add some muscles. We saw what happened to Hedo, when the Magic put him on the juice. Maybe he has another level to go to, too.  Unlike with Luka, who uses his body to bang inside, I see no benefit to his stocky build.

Hate to even bring this up (because damn), but...what if they see him as a 3/4? Or even a 4/3? That would make a little sense in the context of the Hachimura rumors. 

Mvossman suggested Smitty switch De Larrea and Bibervic on his roster model above...my instinct was to switch Biberovic and Martin, actually.
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Since you chose to call me out so aggressively and directly, I’ll respond. Nellie had his moments (iirc you weren’t the bozo who called Nellie a gimmick hire, which is a great way to hang an “I am a complete dumbass” on oneself), as did Donnie (freaking Dirk Werner Nowitzki and Luka Doncic to start with) but Donnie was obviously hampered big time by Cuban’s smartest guy in the room schtick. The catalog of fumbles and bad decisions on the part of the Cuban/Donnie regime is encyclopedic, which you surely knew as a longtime Mavs fan, to say nothing of Sonju and Zaccanelli. 

It would have been nice to get Presti, Pop, Riley, or the Memphis guy as our new basketball man. Since those (and dodged-a-bullet Stevens) weren’t available, they got the best who was most available. A fair number of folks here are acting like Nico or some other of our, yes, crappy prior regimes was still here, second guessing the moves, etc. How many of those guys have built a championship roster? How many have picked the future All-Star from outside the top five in various drafts like Schmitz has? I’m sorry, believing that those two guys know how to build a team better than any of us armchair GMs (even FGump and Dan!) is simple above-water cognitive ability. I may disagree with some stuff M&M do, but the right response is to shrug and see how the vision plays out.

Speak it, brother... and amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 01:58 PM)Smitty Wrote: That would put the Mavs at 15 roster spots:

Kyrie | Sasser | Nemby
Christie | Klay | Sergio
Flagg | Naji | Tarik
PJW | Aldama | Martin
Gafford | Morez | Lively

Still a long off-season. Plenty can still change...

Maybe Sasser is a better creator than the little I know about him, but they’re still very thin at point guard. Putting a lot of hope in a 34 year old who hasn’t played more than 60 games since the 18-19 season.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dirknows's post:
  • SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-06-2026, 02:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I DO believe the Hachimura stuff, after listening to a few people talk about it and piecing it together with the overseas reporting about Biberovic. I think HE was the guy holding MLE money from being offered to Biberovic.

I just think Dallas is really, really REALLY focused on adding shooting, and from literally every possible size and position.

I'm curious your theory on the dollar amount.  Rui got $14mm per year which didn't leave anything extra within the exception for Tarik.  Is the idea that Tarik would have had to settle for the BAE if Rui signed?  But since Rui went elsewhere, we will see Tarik get more than the BAE amount?
Like Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 27 Guest(s)