Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Trade & FA 2024-25: Jazz May Like Ingram? Nets Want Okoro?
(07-05-2024, 07:40 AM)Winter Wrote: The fact that the Mavs have done nothing yet makes me think they believe they can afford to wait.... on something or somebody.

I mean they're filling the 13th man role, they don't need to do anything right now really.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 09:27 AM)Dirknows Wrote: I mean they're filling the 13th man role, they don't need to do anything right now really.

That's true, but I'm not seeing a press conference or hearing anything from the Mavs suggesting they are finished with Free Agency either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 06:20 AM)jon.neal52 Wrote: My vote is for DSJ. Would love him off the bench with this young group.

I'd like to think DSJ could help, but I suspect he would not.

His defense is good, but his offense is really bad. He's a very bad shooter from almost everywhere, and he turns the ball over a lot. You're inviting a floating defender to double Luka or anyone else.

But all the ideas have issues. I'm left wondering if ANY are better than what they already have.

I like Exum, who was so good in the regular season that I have to wonder if he was playing through injuries (and thus very sub-par) in the playoffs. Injuries would be a problem, but otherwise I think he has so much potential as 3-and-D if he can be healthy.

Not sure whether I like Hardy or not. He has a lot of ball-hoggery and passive D in his game, but he can create shots for himself. I can't decide if he's a work in progress, or a chucker with a ceiling.mindset that will be a low ceiling.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 10:04 AM)Winter Wrote: That's true, but I'm not seeing a press conference or hearing anything from the Mavs suggesting they are finished with Free Agency either.

While this is a good observation, what we see now is no different than prior years. We wait for and expect and hear talk of another tweak (in some cases, with a BIG obvious hole to fill), and nothing happens. No announcement, no PC, they just pivot to SL.

Each year a different reporter gets to incite us to look for the next add. IIRC it was Skin/Cato 2 years ago, MacMahon last year. Maybe it's simply Stein's turn?

It's not even signing day yet, but it feels like what we've seen is what we'll get. We're now looking for a 3rd string tweak, which would have such a minor effect that they might not really be concerned.

So I'm guessing Morris being added is all that happens, at some point. And they may leave Lawson on the roster for a while, knowing they can waive him at any time if they need to.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 10:59 AM)F Gump Wrote: I'd like to think DSJ could help, but I suspect he would not.

His defense is good, but his offense is really bad. He's a very bad shooter from almost everywhere, and he turns the ball over a lot. You're inviting a floating defender to double Luka or anyone else.

But all the ideas have issues. I'm left wondering if ANY are better than what they already have.

I like Exum, who was so good in the regular season that I have to wonder if he was playing through injuries (and thus very sub-par) in the playoffs. Injuries would be a problem, but otherwise I think he has so much potential as 3-and-D if he can be healthy.

Not sure whether I like Hardy or not. He has a lot of ball-hoggery and passive D in his game, but he can create shots for himself. I can't decide if he's a work in progress, or a chucker with a ceiling.mindset that will be a low ceiling.

This seems dead-on accurate to me. But Hardy is how old? Not ready to give up on the kid.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
@esidery
The Lakers and Spurs have shown little interest in trading for Trae Young, per
@ZachLowe_NBA
(https://espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/...ree-agency).

Young’s trade value league-wide is viewed as low as ever, so it’s likely he stays on the Hawks.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
The Spurs and Hornets are among teams showing interest in Brandon Ingram, per
@AmicoHoops

“Sources have told Hoops Wire that the San Antonio Spurs and Charlotte Hornets have emerged as potential Ingram suitors, as have the Atlanta Hawks, who will soon officially move guard Dejounte Murray to New Orleans. Perhaps that trade could be expanded if the Hawks are truly that interested in Ingram.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
The Miami Heat are showing interest in Lauri Markkanen, per
@ZachLowe_NBA
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 11:17 AM)The Jom Wrote: This seems dead-on accurate to me. But Hardy is how old? Not ready to give up on the kid.

Can't wait forever, and they are really at a crossroads now.  Right now his payroll cost is minimum salary, but next summer there will be teams competing. Do we even have something that can be more than a 3rd string chucker? I still dunno.

But I sure don't want to be forced to pay him a lot of money to be what he is. Not sure if I am seeing progress on the huge holes in his game. If so, it seems small.

So do you move him (like NY and DET did with Grimes) so that you might get a little something and not have to deal with the situation (and either a cap hit, or he's gone for nothing) next summer? Do you offer an extension?
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
Gery Woelfel (@GeryWoelfel)
Sources claim the Bucks are still very receptive to trading veteran Brook Lopez, but the Bucks' asking price of a first-round draft pick for a 36-year-old center with a $23M contract is too rich.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 11:26 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @TheDunkCentral
The Spurs and Hornets are among teams showing interest in Brandon Ingram, per
@AmicoHoops

“Sources have told Hoops Wire that the San Antonio Spurs and Charlotte Hornets have emerged as potential Ingram suitors, as have the Atlanta Hawks, who will soon officially move guard Dejounte Murray to New Orleans. Perhaps that trade could be expanded if the Hawks are truly that interested in Ingram.”

He's going to be a Hornet. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Ingram is a ball-stopper nobody really wants, so that's about the ideal target for them because they can actually get them. 

Apparently they want Bridges back but have drawn a line in the sand, contractually, and are willing to sign and trade him if he can do better elsewhere. I assume they're looking at Ingram as a potential replacement. 

I like Ingram's theoretical fit on the Spurs quite a bit, but I don't think he's the type of player they will actually pull the trigger to get. Maybe they will if the price gets so low they can't resist.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 10:59 AM)F Gump Wrote: I'd like to think DSJ could help, but I suspect he would not.

This. I can't believe more don't see this. 

IF the Mavs sign DSJ, it should tell us something about how they view Grimes' injury status and just general readiness for the season, imo. That would be disappointing, because Grimes, unlike DSJ, can shoot. 

But, most of us have assumed that if the Mavs are looking for a guard, they're probably looking for a point guard. That's DSJ's position on defense, but he's about the worst fit I can imagine for this team (or most others) on offense. Playing PG here means creating shots through dribble penetration and being a shooting threat yourself. These are not DSJ's strong suits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • WildArkieBoy
Like Reply

My expectation is that he would never be in the court with Luka. He would have to run the point because he is useless off ball. That means very limited playing time when Luka and Kyrie is healthy, but second unit rotational player when one is out. I don’t expect offensive miracles, but between competent PG and his defense, I think he could be some help.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 11:32 AM)F Gump Wrote:  
Can't wait forever, and they are really at a crossroads now.  Right now his payroll cost is minimum salary, but next summer there will be teams competing. Do we even have something that can be more than a 3rd string chucker? I still dunno.

But I sure don't want to be forced to pay him a lot of money to be what he is. Not sure if I am seeing progress on the huge holes in his game. If so, it seems small.

So do you move him (like NY and DET did with Grimes) so that you might get a little something and not have to deal with the situation (and either a cap hit, or he's gone for nothing) next summer? Do you offer an extension?

These are excellent questions. I dunno. Do we learn anything from another summer league performance? Regardless, I hate giving up because of what might happen. The kid might also turn the corner and take off. 

The new Mavs handled DFS and Green wisely after the old Mavs blew it with Brunson. Perhaps they can manage this situation smartly too? They certainly have enough recent experience with Klutch to see what’s coming.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump
Like Reply
The thing I keep coming back to when I look at the roster is that the Mavs are going into the year with three potential free agents, all expected to be in the rotation (at the least the regular season rotation), and are already a tax team at the first Apron. Also, if Kyrie has another good year he will absolutely want to negotiate a new deal, and can opt of his last year, I believe. Neither the Mavs nor Kyrie will want him playing on a one-year expiring the season after this one - that player option is basically just there to protect him from injury. They have probably already started thinking about an extension.

Add that all up, and there is a 0% chance that Exum, Hardy AND Grimes are all Mavericks after this season, imo. It might even be too much to hope to keep two of them. Surely, they see this situation coming. The question is, what will they do about it? If Hardy is not in your plans, as in basically guaranteed a fairly juicy rotation role (I hope he is, I think he's ready to contribute), then I think keeping him here after the deadline, or possibly even to start the season, would be a pretty big mistake. He's not some insanely hot asset or anything, but he is more valuable than he will be at the deadline if he's not playing, and teams no longer get the full season to look at him with their rosters before deciding how much they can pay in a rookie extension.

Kind of the same situation with Grimes, only Dallas is the team who's planning to use the full season "to look at him with their roster before deciding how much they can pay in an extension"...or, if they even want to keep him.

I suppose Exum is cheap and easy come, easy go. Out of all of them, I can see him as someone they'd be comfortable just walking away for nothing, and I could also see him being the most likely to accept a very team-friendly deal to return.

I'd bet they're thinking about this stuff totally differently than we are.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
I like Franz. Just as I like Scottie Barnes. It just feels like though if you are a young near all star that you are going to expect Franz/barnes numbers. Crazy contract.

https://x.com/shamscharania/status/18093...02401?s=46
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 02:03 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I like Franz.  Just as I like Scottie Barnes.  It just feels like though if you are a young near all star that you are going to expect Franz/barnes numbers.  Crazy contract.

https://x.com/shamscharania/status/18093...02401?s=46

5yrs/226 as a contract for Franz is already bonkers. The fact he could make up to 270 makes it even crazier. I think Orlando might be regretting this deal in the future.
Like Reply
@esidery
The Bulls and Kings are currently in sign-and-trade negotiations involving DeMar DeRozan, per
@wojespn
:

- DeRozan is officially moving on from Chicago with no scenario of re-signing.

- Chicago is not willing to take on large salaries in a potential deal, so a third team has to be involved.

- Sacramento becomes the favorite to land DeRozan, and it could happen within the next 24-48 hours.
Like Reply
(07-04-2024, 10:45 PM)F Gump Wrote: I discounted that as a real announcement. To me, it was worded like an assumption, not something from the Mavs necessarily.

(07-05-2024, 05:09 AM)DL2RimRocker Wrote: Not a big DSJ fan but would be okay with him in this situation.
I'd definitely be okay with Dinwiddie.

(07-05-2024, 05:18 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: What makes you more into Dinwiddie? Do you think he can have another career revival here? More into the scoring aspect?

DSJ has quietly remade himself into a lockdown defender. Not much of a scorer, but he still attacks the rim like we all remember. 

Between the two I think I'm going with DSJ just due to age and where they're at in their careers. If I can't have him I think Lowry is a better choice than Dinwiddie.

I think we need more scoring from the bench and Dinwiddie can do that more than DSJ. We have Exum and Grimes who can guard the perimeter but bench scoring is still a need imo.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 01:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The thing I keep coming back to when I look at the roster is that the Mavs are going into the year with three potential free agents, all expected to be in the rotation (at the least the regular season rotation), and are already a tax team at the first Apron. Also, if Kyrie has another good year he will absolutely want to negotiate a new deal, and can opt of his last year, I believe. Neither the Mavs nor Kyrie will want him playing on a one-year expiring the season after this one - that player option is basically just there to protect him from injury. They have probably already started thinking about an extension.

Add that all up, and there is a 0% chance that Exum, Hardy AND Grimes are all Mavericks after this season, imo. It might even be too much to hope to keep two of them. Surely, they see this situation coming. The question is, what will they do about it? If Hardy is not in your plans, as in basically guaranteed a fairly juicy rotation role (I hope he is, I think he's ready to contribute), then I think keeping him here after the deadline, or possibly even to start the season, would be a pretty big mistake. He's not some insanely hot asset or anything, but he is more valuable than he will be at the deadline if he's not playing, and teams no longer get the full season to look at him with their rosters before deciding how much they can pay in a rookie extension.

Kind of the same situation with Grimes, only Dallas is the team who's planning to use the full season "to look at him with their roster before deciding how much they can pay in an extension"...or, if they even want to keep him.

I suppose Exum is cheap and easy come, easy go. Out of all of them, I can see him as someone they'd be comfortable just walking away for nothing, and I could also see him being the most likely to accept a very team-friendly deal to return.

I'd bet they're thinking about this stuff totally differently than we are.
Well said……….i think by November that Grimes will be a fan and board favorite 

I think internally they’re weighing Grimes extension options to try to get a cheap deal. We all know how Luka elevates players around him making them look better than they are with all the good looks
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, SleepingHero
Like Reply