Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
FA: Klay Thompson Comes to Dallas| 3yrs/50mil
(07-02-2024, 07:46 PM)Smitty Wrote: I agree for the most part. I mean Luka is arguably the best player in the NBA, so I get where he’s coming from but I also remember the talk last offseason about how Kyrie wanted to play with more pace and that didn’t really fit Luka’s style and we debated it a bit here and in the end Luka and the Mavs ultimately did so. I think Kidd, Luka and Kyrie know ball better than most and I think they’ll figure out a way to play to Klay’s strengths when he’s on the floor when the matchups dictate it. I don’t think we’ll see a total overhaul of the offense like Timpf talks about. But he made a good point about Klay having 400+ shot attempts off of a screen, leading the league by a lot and Tim having ~100. So, the Mavs are capable of doing more than just high PnR or ISO stuff. Maybe they double it and get Klay 200 or so of those, using the same actions.

I was actually surprised to hear he liked Naji a bit more than DJJ, knowing how high he was on Jones post TDL and throughout the playoffs. Also, Adam was HIGH on the Grimes addition.

I just hate the dismissive comparisons of Luka to James Harden, as if it's a foregone conclusion that he'd put zero effort into making himself a weapon off-ball. But, I also kind of think he's right on the money with that. I don't love it.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I just hate the dismissive comparisons of Luka to James Harden, as if it's a foregone conclusion that he'd put zero effort into making himself a weapon off-ball. But, I also kind of think he's right on the money with that. I don't love it.

I think there’s no limit to what Luka can do offensively. It’s ultimately about what’s best for the Mavs to win. To this point, him playing off ball a lot or taking the ball out of his hands at all would have lead to a lot more losing and a lot less winning. Maybe they have the horses to mix some things up now.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 07:46 PM)Smitty Wrote: I agree for the most part. I mean Luka is arguably the best player in the NBA, so I get where he’s coming from but I also remember the talk last offseason about how Kyrie wanted to play with more pace and that didn’t really fit Luka’s style and we debated it a bit here and in the end Luka and the Mavs ultimately did so. I think Kidd, Luka and Kyrie know ball better than most and I think they’ll figure out a way to play to Klay’s strengths when he’s on the floor when the matchups dictate it. I don’t think we’ll see a total overhaul of the offense like Timpf talks about. But he made a good point about Klay having 400+ shot attempts off of a screen, leading the league by a lot and Tim having ~100. So, the Mavs are capable of doing more than just high PnR or ISO stuff. Maybe they double it and get Klay 200 or so of those, using the same actions.

I was actually surprised to hear he liked Naji a bit more than DJJ, knowing how high he was on Jones post TDL and throughout the playoffs. Also, Adam was HIGH on the Grimes addition.

I haven't listened yet, but I was thinking about how we incorporate Klay here.   Luka has developed a happy place playing with Kyrie.  I think the offense will always be Luka making the right play at the right time.  Although I would also like to see some new things.   Luka and Kidd can't treat Klay like THJ, or DFS or Josh Green, etc.   He can't just shoot when he is in the right place.  If I am Luka and all things run through me, one of the things I am keeping track of each game is can I/we get Klay 9-10 good looks from three a game?   Do that and I think we will win plenty of games.

Not Klay related, but I wonder besides Luka and Kyrie we should have focus that almost every other shot is a play at the rim or a three pointer.   Luka and Kyrie are exceptions because their mid range games are killer.   Our advanage is Luka and Kyrie are just dominant scoring and we will get plenty of baskets at the rim.  We shoot average or better from three we are going to win more than we lose.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:28 PM)Smitty Wrote: I think there’s no limit to what Luka can do offensively. It’s ultimately about what’s best for the Mavs to win. To this point, him playing off ball a lot or taking the ball out of his hands at all would have lead to a lot more losing and a lot less winning. Maybe they have the horses to mix some things up now.

But, and this is Legler’s point, and ultimately why the damn James Harden comparisons won’t die, the person who will take the most convincing is Luka, himself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:31 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But, and this is Legler’s point, and ultimately why the damn James Harden comparisons won’t die, the person who will take the most convincing is Luka, himself.

I see your point, and Legler’s I just think there was nothing to convince Luka of until maybe now. It’s been obvious his entire career that when he isn’t on ball running the action, the Mavs are pretty bad. Every stat backs it up, PPP the biggest one.

His usage rate dropped to as low as it’s been since his rookie year with Kyrie on board. I think it’ll drop some again next year. I’ll give Luka some credit here and believe he’ll do whatever is needed to win. We don’t know now what that is, even if we think we do.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • Arioch, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:42 PM)Smitty Wrote: I see your point, and Legler’s I just think there was nothing to convince Luka of until maybe now. It’s been obvious his entire career that when he isn’t on ball running the action, the Mavs are pretty bad. Every stat backs it up, PPP the biggest one.

His usage rate dropped to as low as it’s been since his rookie year with Kyrie on board. I think it’ll drop some again next year. I’ll give Luka some credit here and believe he’ll do whatever is needed to win. We don’t know now what that is, even if we think we do.

I hope! I definitely liked the progress to diversify the offense last year. I hope the additions of Thompson and Marshall, along with more development from Lively, helps them implement a more sophisticated system. It doesn’t have to go 180 degrees in the other direction, but I’m hoping to see some change.
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I hope! I definitely liked the progress to diversify the offense last year. I hope the additions of Thompson and Marshall, along with more development from Lively, helps them implement a more sophisticated system. It doesn’t have to go 180 degrees in the other direction, but I’m hoping to see some change.

Couldn’t agree more and I think we’ll both get what we want!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I feel like it'd be much more an indictment of Kidd and his crew if they don't implement more motion
[-] The following 3 users Like Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:52 PM)Jym Wrote: I feel like it'd be much more an indictment of Kidd and his crew if they don't implement more motion

I think the Celtics have the blueprint (and personnel) on how to stop what the Mavs did best all year. Then Nico went out and addressed the weaknesses with the tools he had in his belt. 

Targeting Naji as a DJJ replacement isn’t “just because”. Watch his offensive game and tell me he’s going to stand in the corner every possession.

Targeting Klay as a THJ replacement isn’t “just because”. Watch his offensive game and tell me he’s going to stand in the corner every possession. Or that he can’t make ATB threes.

Lively’s “ceiling is the roof” and I think he’s more than capable of playing in a motion style offense when needed.

I don’t think we’re going to see the Warriors/Celtics offense all the time or even most of the time. But I bet we do it more than we ever have and more importantly we have the players that CAN do it if/when the matchup dictates.
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:28 PM)Smitty Wrote: I think there’s no limit to what Luka can do offensively. It’s ultimately about what’s best for the Mavs to win. To this point, him playing off ball a lot or taking the ball out of his hands at all would have lead to a lot more losing and a lot less winning. Maybe they have the horses to mix some things up now.

There are limits to what Luka can do offensively - 1) his own minutes (conditioning), and 2) the effect being the sole focal point (aside from a bit of Kyrie) on his ability to put forth defensive effort. 

Luka has a choice. He can be the Helios, or he can be an NBA champion. He simply, binarily, and absolutely cannot be both.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:01 PM)Smitty Wrote: I think the Celtics have the blueprint (and personnel) on how to stop what the Mavs did best all year. Then Nico went out and addressed the weaknesses with the tools he had in his belt. 

Targeting Naji as a DJJ replacement isn’t “just because”. Watch his offensive game and tell me he’s going to stand in the corner every possession.

Targeting Klay as a THJ replacement isn’t “just because”. Watch his offensive game and tell me he’s going to stand in the corner every possession. Or that he can’t make ATB threes.

Lively’s “ceiling is the roof” and I think he’s more than capable of playing in a motion style offense when needed.

I don’t think we’re going to see the Warriors/Celtics offense all the time or even most of the time. But I bet we do it more than we ever have and more importantly we have the players that CAN do it if/when the matchup dictates.

Yes to all of this - but Luka has to be willing to cede the damn ball, period.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: There are limits to what Luka can do offensively - 1) his own minutes (conditioning), and 2) the effect being the sole focal point (aside from a bit of Kyrie) on his ability to put forth defensive effort. 

Luka has a choice. He can be the Helios, or he can be an NBA champion. He simply, binarily, and absolutely cannot be both.

I want his minutes to decrease. I want his usage to decrease. The Mavs couldn’t do either if they wanted to win. Maybe now they can.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • RGP1981, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:21 PM)Smitty Wrote: I want his minutes to decrease. I want his usage to decrease. The Mavs couldn’t do either if they wanted to win. Maybe now they can.

In addition to the above, I also want Luka's weight to decrease... by about 30 pounds. Tongue
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:21 PM)Smitty Wrote: I want his minutes to decrease. I want his usage to decrease. The Mavs couldn’t do either if they wanted to win. Maybe now they can.

I agree with you, ultimately. I think it’s a little bit more of a chicken versus egg debate than you do.

But, I am buying what you are selling in this thread. There is every opportunity for the Mavs’ offense to take the next step now, and I hope he does his part. Obviously, he is the reason they are even at this point.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
Here’s more good analysis to log on the optimistic side of the Klay Thompson ledger.

https://youtu.be/y4mn_SEPWHg?si=DICeW5PljFxLc9C7
  • Smitty
Like Reply
I don’t get the selfish Luka takes. I see him happily distribute the ball when the game plan calls for it. I even recall him forcing it back to Hardy during the finals after Hardy passed up a mismatch and kicked the ball out to him.

What I see, implicitly, in the off-season acquisitions is a plan to give Luka more time on the bench. If he can average 34 mins instead of 38 (season) or 41 (playoffs), a lot of these other worries will take care of themselves.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Arioch
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Here’s more good analysis to log on the optimistic side of the Klay Thompson ledger.

https://youtu.be/y4mn_SEPWHg?si=DICeW5PljFxLc9C7

Smart guy. Now I have to follow him. I’ve been trying to say most of the same things here. Smile
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
This is so much fun reading about these possibilities and knowing that out involves players the Mavs already have and not players we are hoping they can sign
[-] The following 4 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • KillerLeft, michaeltex, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:51 PM)The Jom Wrote: I don’t get the selfish Luka takes. I see him happily distribute the ball when the game plan calls for it. I even recall him forcing it back to Hardy during the finals after Hardy passed up a mismatch and kicked the ball out to him.

What I see, implicitly, in the off-season acquisitions is a plan to give Luka more time on the bench. If he can average 34 mins instead of 38 (season) or 41 (playoffs), a lot of these other worries will take care of themselves.

That's not really what we're talking about. 

It's about what he does AFTER he gives up the ball. Nobody is calling him selfish.
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:51 PM)Smitty Wrote: Smart guy. Now I have to follow him. I’ve been trying to say most of the same things here. Smile

Yeah, HoopVenue is one of my go-to analysis sources.
Like Reply