Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
FA: Klay Thompson Comes to Dallas| 3yrs/50mil
I really hope Hardy wins minutes. Just weird looking at the roster if Hardy is not an every game rotation piece that besides Luka, Kyrie and klay everyone else is a plus defender. Maybe more defense on the team than last year. Just tricky how they make up for the role DJJ played last year. Such a hard job that typically is easy to overlook if you are not watching closely. It is going to be fascinating to see if they can make the defense work with the pluses they made to offense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 06:46 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I really hope Hardy wins minutes.  Just weird looking at the roster if Hardy is not an every game rotation piece that besides Luka, Kyrie and klay everyone else is a plus defender.  Maybe more defense on the team than last year.  Just tricky how they make up for the role DJJ played last year.  Such a hard job that typically is easy to overlook if you are not watching closely.  It is going to be fascinating to see if they can make the defense work with the pluses they made to offense.

While I completely agree about the defense, I went out and looked and DJJ's stats. As a starter, he averages only 23.5 mpg. That's pretty low for a starter. By comparison, PJ Washington averages 32.2 mpg as a starter.

Technically speaking, you should be able to plug Marshall into those DJJ minutes seamlessly. I admit, though, that the start of games will need to be monitored as how DJJ's absence effects the team in aggregate. It's really going to be worth watching early in the season.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 07:19 AM)Winter Wrote: While I completely agree about the defense, I went out and looked and DJJ's stats. As a starter, he averages only 23.5 mpg. That's pretty low for a starter. By comparison, PJ Washington averages 32.2 mpg as a starter.

Technically speaking, you should be able to plug Marshall into those DJJ minutes seamlessly. I admit, though, that the start of games will need to be monitored as how DJJ's absence effects the team in aggregate. It's really going to be worth watching early in the season.

While I'm in the camp that losing DJJ isn't going to be a significant setback, I don't think we'll be able to fully judge the defensive impact until playoff time.  If you look at his minutes in the playoffs they increased significantly because defensive intensity is so much more important.  Assuming he's healthy, I think Klay still brings enough defense that he can be effective, especially with Lively and Gafford getting more time in the system.  More importantly, if Klay is still effective offensively, dropping 3s at a 40% clip, then they don't need to be a top 5 defensive team to have a chance to win it all, top 10 will be enough.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 07:35 AM)Kidnova Wrote: While I'm in the camp that losing DJJ isn't going to be a significant setback, I don't think we'll be able to fully judge the defensive impact until playoff time.  If you look at his minutes in the playoffs they increased significantly because defensive intensity is so much more important.  Assuming he's healthy, I think Klay still brings enough defense that he can be effective, especially with Lively and Gafford getting more time in the system.  More importantly, if Klay is still effective offensively, dropping 3s at a 40% clip, then they don't need to be a top 5 defensive team to have a chance to win it all, top 10 will be enough.

Yes, playoffs are a different animal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(@MavsFilmRoom)
Tim MacMahon on the Hoop Collective mentioned that Kyrie talked to Klay on “a personal basis” and not about basketball reasons in his pitch for Klay to come to Dallas.

Kyrie emphasized to Klay that the Mavericks were a family.

Full podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/br...0660892043
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
[Image: GReckU9W4AADqYs?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
@iztok_franko
Even if we look last season only there were 5 players that played more than 20 minutes per game and took more than 10 threes per 36 minutes (so really high volume):

Steph, Luka, DiVincenzo, Klay and THJ

Klay made 39%, THJ made 35%...a huge difference.

[Image: GReeyQEWQAA0TcX?format=png&name=medium]
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, Smitty
Like Reply
[Image: GRfCNErWYAAP3Vv?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 6 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, fifteenth, MAVS-SLO, michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 09:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m with Jason Timpf. Three point range would be nice, but I’m hoping the plan is for him to develop that dribble-handoff/decision making game. Those usually end in rim rolls (his specialty), and it’s kind of the next evolutionary step from his surprising showing as a decision maker out of the short roll. 

Imagine a 7’2” Draymond Green.

Absolutely. But we can take advantage of that 3 pt shot too, right? both/and > either/or?
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
After being benched for Brandin Podziemski, Klay Thompson ripped into the Warriors’ coaching staff while also mentioning his upcoming free agency, per @anthonyVslater (https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5605834...ors-split/).

Thompson reportedly made his decision weeks ago to leave Golden State.

Quote:It’s been a layered five-year path to this divorce, splintering last season, sprouting earlier and finalizing in the last couple weeks, where —among the conversations Thompson had, league sources said — was a request of Stephen Curry not to exert his significant organizational influence and up the temperature with management to ensure Thompson’s return.

Quote:...Kerr, on the second night of a back-to-back, informed Thompson he’d be moving to the bench. He’d occupied the Warriors’ starting shooting guard spot for more than a decade, 727 consecutive games when healthy. It was an identity more than just a title.

But it was now being given to Podziemski, who was 8 when Thompson hit the first of his 2,982 3s (playoffs included) for the franchise. That news didn’t land softly. Thompson ripped into Kerr and his staff, team sources said, and spent some of that day grumbling about his inevitable summer departure from the franchise. His impending free agency loomed in the background all season.

Quote:But his decision, as one source put it, became easy when the Warriors kicked him down the summer pecking order...

...There was little communication between Thompson, the Warriors and Thompson’s agent, Greg Lawrence, and ultimately no offer in this cycle. Warriors sources maintained a plan to eventually make a competitive offer in relation to his market once other business was settled. But they never had the chance. Many league sources said Thompson’s decision to depart was unofficially made weeks ago.

Quote:There were many thorny rehab and post-return interactions as Thompson struggled to fully grasp the best seasons of his basketball career getting ripped away. He did become more temperamental on a daily basis, team sources said.

But Thompson also worked diligently to reclaim every ounce of his former self and then served as a vital member of the 2022 championship run, averaging a team-high 36 minutes, appearing in all 22 playoff games and scoring 19 points per night.

Great article. A few excerpts.
[-] The following 6 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, fifteenth, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
https://x.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/1808162344050029001

SiriusXM NBA Radio (@SiriusXMNBA)
"I'm not feeling too much in a congratulatory mood."

Mychal Thompson had hopes that his son, Klay Thompson, would join the Lakers.

Klay's dad seems quite upset that Klay did not join the Lakers. Click the link for the full minute answer.
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
lol I dont care about the drama

To be honest, Klay should have been benched. Then he was a pain in the ass for the Warriors. From their perspective, I dont have a problem with how they treated Klay.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 10:46 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://x.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/1808162344050029001

Klay's dad seems quite upset that Klay did not join the Lakers. Click the link for the full minute answer.

THJ replacement. Including the dad...
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 10:46 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://x.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/1808162344050029001

I'm sorry, but that's pathetic for a father to act like that about his son. Klay is a grown ass man and can make his own decisions. His father should just be supportive. These former players get pretty damn whiny about their sons.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 11:58 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I'm sorry, but that's pathetic for a father to act like that about his son. Klay is a grown ass man and can make his own decisions. His father should just be supportive. These former players get pretty damn whiny about their sons.

You understand that he basically has the job for the Lakers that Brad Davis has for the Mavericks, right? Radio broadcast color man. Those guys work FOR the teams.

He kind of has to talk like that, because his livelihood depends on thousands of Lakers homers listening and not hating him.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, Kidnova, michaeltex
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 12:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You understand that he basically has the job for the Lakers that Brad Davis has for the Mavericks, right? Radio broadcast color man. Those guys work FOR the teams.

He kind of has to talk like that, because his livelihood depends on thousands of Lakers homers listening and not hating him.

Yeah I know he works for the Lakers, but i disagree that he has to make comments like that. That's just your opinion. He could have easily said the selfish side of me wanted him to play for the Lakers so I could call his games and see him more, but I'm happy for him because he seems happy with his decision.
Like Reply
I don't know about y'all but I'm still riding the high off the fact the Mavs signed Klay Thompson yesterday.
  • Smitty, Winter
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 12:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't know about y'all but I'm still riding the high off the fact the Mavs signed Klay Thompson yesterday.

I do hope we don't try to force him into a system that doesn't fit his style of play. Personally, I think the Mavs offense is beginning to look a little stale. I'd like to see some changes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 12:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Yeah I know he works for the Lakers, but i disagree that he has to make comments like that. That's just your opinion. He could have easily said the selfish side of me wanted him to play for the Lakers so I could call his games and see him more, but I'm happy for him because he seems happy with his decision.

Be mad if you want, but my take on it is that the message you are describing here IS what he attempted to deliver, it’s just that you don’t like how he did it. We don’t have any context, as in we don’t know the homer level of the show he was appearing on, we don’t know the homer expectations the Lakers have of their employees, etc, etc, etc. 

I probably shouldn’t have even replied because this is such a completely insignificant thing. I just think maybe we are doing ourselves a disservice if we get into a twist over it. They are the team who lost out for the free agent, so they are going to have sour grapes about it.
Like Reply
I still can't believe what offseason we are having now. 

1. Klay Thompson:

I think some people still don't get what Klay signing means for us. We already saw how many things Kyrie bringed in terms of view for the Mavs and the same will do Klay. 

Do not forget that he signed for as free agent, without being overpaid and that he also get offers from other teams. And Klay is old and clever enough to make decisions by his own, without need to listening what agents have to say. In my opinion he chooses us because he knows that we are his best chance to win another ring and style of play is perfect for him.

Looking at Dallas roster, Klay is the perfect signing for the team and perfect 3 option for a team like Dallas. Just remember how many open shoots Kyrie and Luka are creating every game and how many non-shooters that duo made looking like a serius threat from 3 point range. And now you are adding one of the best shooters of all time to that position.

Yes, he is past his prime, but he didn't forgot how to shoot and here in Dallas will have milions of open shots created by Kyrie and Luka. And also a team with fantastic chemistry, which didn't have it Golden State in the last few years i think.

I'm really excited to see him on the floor in the Mavs uniform. I think he will thrive there and quickly gain a confidence back Smile

2. Quentin Grimes:

I think that he is perfect Green replacment, with maybe much more ceiling than Josh. I mean, Green was a solid, but he wasn't type of a player who could potentially bring you a tittle and sometimes you have to take a risk and try to bring a better player. Like the Celtics last year, neither Brogdon or Smart were bad, but Holiday is another level.

I don't expect from Grimes to be such level of player, but he is on much cheapier deal than Green with in my opinion much bigger ceiling than Josh. And his signing and Josh departure bringed us Klay and Naji.

3. NAJI MARSHALL:

I didn't really watched many of Naji games but from what i heard from interenet he is as much as defender as DJJ was. I would still like to have DJJ on the roster, but i think the last season was his ceiling and i doubt he will have another season like last one. And Naji have all of opportunity to showcase that he have as much potential as DJJ have (or even more).

Rembember, something is playing in a losing team, but playing for a championship team with good chemistry, with 2 best creators and scorers is something different.

And we are having such an offseason without moving a single FRP and most important, all players here have longterm deals and deals were Dallas controls bird rights.

Lively - Gafford - Powell
Washington - Maxi - Omax
Klay - Grimes - ?
Luka - Hardy - ?
Kyrie - ? - Exum

Still few open spots to fill the roster and now with that roster i can see a lot of players taking opportunity to win a ring with Dallas.

A lot of teams already lost their cap space, so i'm really interested how much of a price can fall for players currently without contract. Saddiq Bey, Gordon Hayward, Precius Achiuwa, Monte Morris, DSJ are all interested names here.

Maybe also Morris twins, Jordan Nwora, Chimezie Metu..

Really interesting list of available players we can try to add to fill the roster spots.

I hope i didn't get too much into off-topic, but this offseason is currently really fantastic.
[-] The following 9 users Like MAVS-SLO's post:
  • audiosway, ballsrchr, F Gump, Halfnir, HIMAV, KillerLeft, michaeltex, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply