Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
FA: Klay Thompson Comes to Dallas| 3yrs/50mil
(07-01-2024, 05:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Just have to post ... this is why I hate Tim Cato. The Athletic staff collaborated on an article about Klay and as soon as I read this paragraph I knew it was Cato.

"For most of the past decade, the Mavericks were known as the team that chased star free agents and then failed to get them, retreating to backup plans and promising future pursuits behind false bravado that couldn’t quite hide the embarrassment."

That's how he wants to start his article. Just such a douche. I'm shocked Kidd hasn't punched him in the face.

I wouldn’t take it personally, like it’s directed at the Mavs. I mean, it IS, but it’s really about running up the score on Cuban, specifically.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, BolsDamols, fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKid, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 05:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Just have to post ... this is why I hate Tim Cato. The Athletic staff collaborated on an article about Klay and as soon as I read this paragraph I knew it was Cato.

"For most of the past decade, the Mavericks were known as the team that chased star free agents and then failed to get them, retreating to backup plans and promising future pursuits behind false bravado that couldn’t quite hide the embarrassment."

That's how he wants to start his article. Just such a douche. I'm shocked Kidd hasn't punched him in the face.

I mean, is he wrong? Cuban turned this franchise into a laughingstock for the decade after the title.
[-] The following 10 users Like Branduil's post:
  • acindallas, ballsrchr, BigDirk41, fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKid, khaled1987, KillerLeft, Lukedoncic, Mavs2021, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 05:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @TheDunkCentral
Klay Thompson's antics behind the scenes have been 'equally exhausting' as Draymond Green's, per
@JDumasReports

"Klay has been equally as exhausting behind the scenes. It's not as loud. It's not as loud because it's not you stomping on someone’s chest. If he's slamming stuff on the bench and sulking, and doing that on the court, how do you think it is in practice? How do you think it is in the locker room? It has been uncomfortable. It has. It just doesn't come out as loudly as Draymond Green."

There is no way that Klay's antics were as distracting as Draymond's.  That's just stupid.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • BigDirk41, Deebo, fifteenth, hakeemfaan, SleepingHero, The Jom, Tyler
Like Reply
the grapes must be sore when Lakers have tried to get them but failed tbh.
Like Reply
A lot of excitement. I just want to wish Green good luck. He is going to a place here he will have an opportunity to spread his wings. Much more so than here. I hope he capitalizes on it.

Also smart move by Charlotte picking him up. Will be Intereting if they gave up their 2’s with no restrictions. Still, I think it is a good gamble.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, WillE
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 05:19 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: A lot of excitement.  I just want to wish Green good luck. He is going to a place here he will have an opportunity to spread his wings.  Much more so than here.  I hope he capitalizes on it.

Also smart move by Charlotte picking him up.  Will be Intereting if they gave up their 2’s with no restrictions.  Still, I think it is a good gamble.

yeah I think there's going to a be a lot of outside talk when Klay and Green both average like 16 ppg next year 
Like no, Green was not going to do that here. 
Klay is much more equipped to excel in an offball role
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
@ShamsCharania
The Mavericks have sent two second-round picks to the Warriors to complete the Klay Thompson sign-and-trade to Dallas, sources said.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Wow, if you want a deeper understanding of what this means to Warriors fans, I highly recommend listening to Logan Murdock’s opening ramble to this podcast…to him, this is like when Emmitt Smith went to Arizona. It hadn’t really dawned on me how beloved this Warriors team was.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0660842721
Like Reply
What did charlotte give up. They got green for nothing?????
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deebo's post:
  • AgGIE1991*
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 02:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

KT has more disruptive defensive plays in last season's highlight package than THJ had in 6 years
[-] The following 2 users Like vfromlmf's post:
  • donzingis38, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 07:08 PM)Deebo Wrote: What did charlotte give up.  They got green for nothing?????

Two 2nd round picks. That’s actually good value, considering they just took on the salary without offloading anything. It’s basically like they’re signing him as a free agent without being able to design the contract.

And, since GS wouldn’t accept any salary back, it seems like they did everyone a pretty big service.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 07:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow, if you want a deeper understanding of what this means to Warriors fans, I highly recommend listening to Logan Murdock’s opening ramble to this podcast…to him, this is like when Emmitt Smith went to Arizona. It hadn’t really dawned on me how beloved this Warriors team was.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0660842721

Dude definitely feels it. That's why I'll excuse him from saying it reminded him of when Dallas traded for Odom. Everyone says silly things when they're feeling it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Wow, I share the others' defensive concerns on Klay, but given this money (and no 1sts involved!), how can you complain? Its worth a shot.

If he starts, he is going to have to guard the likes of SGA, Edwards, JA, etc, since Kyrie as sure as hell won't be guarding them. Offense will be a lot better though especially when his shot is on. 

On the nights when both Klay and Kyrie are making shots and Luka feeding them, teams won't be able to do anything. I'll allow myself to be excited a bit.

Underrated part of this deal? We got to keep Maxi
[-] The following 5 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
Landon Thomas (@sixfivelando)
Dallas Mavericks had the second most open 3PT attempts last season, only trailed Boston Celtics.

Mavs ranked 17th in 3PT% in those open 3PT shots (34.7%), 11th after trade deadline (35.5%).

Klay Thompson open 3PT% last season: 39.2%

Tim Hardaway Jr open 3PT% last season: 31.7%
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, michaeltex, The Jom
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 07:08 PM)Deebo Wrote: What did charlotte give up.  They got green for nothing?????

Charlotte gave up 2 2nds. 

1 of those seconds is the worst of Denver's or PHI's in 2025 via CHA and is re-routed to GSW, along with the Mavs 2031 2nd. The other CHA 2nd (which has not been specified as of yet I don't think) is for the Mavs to keep. 

The list of CHA 2nds they had to use:
  • 3 unprotected 2nds from DEN (which has not been specified)
  • 2027 2nd from Portland or Pelicans (whichever is more favorable)
  • 2028 2nd swap (the most favorable of CHA's, LAC's, or DAL)

So your guess is as good as mine onto which pick the Mavs actually could be left with. The 2027 one from POR or NOP could be interesting imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 07:27 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Underrated part of this deal? We got to keep Maxi

This.
I don't even know why people are throwing him on trades as if he is a liability.
This board has less of those ideas, but if you look elsewhere, you'd think Maxi is as useless as DP.

Maxi allows the Mavs to let Omax develop.
Maxi allows Lively to slowly develop his 3 game and NOT rush into shooting more of those.
Maxi gives the Mavs that big who can guard those perimeter guys that Lively and Gafford can't.
Maxi allows PJ to be more aggressive on D, knowing a legit PF is behind him in case he gets into foul trouble.

NOTE: Naji isn't a PF, but I can see Kidd get him minutes there, but overall I'm not counting Naji as a 4. Mavs will have to do with PJ-Maxi and Omax. And I like that PF rotation.
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 08:14 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Charlotte gave up 2 2nds. 

1 of those seconds is the worst of Denver's or PHI's in 2025 via CHA and is re-routed to GSW, along with the Mavs 2031 2nd. The other CHA 2nd (which has not been specified as of yet I don't think) is for the Mavs to keep. 

The list of CHA 2nds they had to use:
  • 3 unprotected 2nds from DEN (which has not been specified)
  • 2027 2nd from Portland or Pelicans (whichever is more favorable)
  • 2028 2nd swap (the most favorable of CHA's, LAC's, or DAL)

So your guess is as good as mine onto which pick the Mavs actually could be left with. The 2027 one from POR or NOP could be interesting imo.
Thank you. That makes sense
Like Reply
https://x.com/ESPNNBA/status/1807944280700264905

Richard Jefferson had his own story regarding Klay on Christmas day. Watch this and perhaps this Klay/GSW breakup was a long time coming.
Like Reply
[Image: GRca9qFb0AAUmoK?format=png&name=small]
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 08:23 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: This.
I don't even know why people are throwing him on trades as if he is a liability.
This board has less of those ideas, but if you look elsewhere, you'd think Maxi is as useless as DP.

Maxi allows the Mavs to let Omax develop.
Maxi allows Lively to slowly develop his 3 game and NOT rush into shooting more of those.
Maxi gives the Mavs that big who can guard those perimeter guys that Lively and Gafford can't.
Maxi allows PJ to be more aggressive on D, knowing a legit PF is behind him in case he gets into foul trouble.

NOTE: Naji isn't a PF, but I can see Kidd get him minutes there, but overall I'm not counting Naji as a 4. Mavs will have to do with PJ-Maxi and Omax. And I like that PF rotation.
I’m with you. Maxi is a solution to so many problems as you lay out. It would be foolish to dump him. He has Al Horford type career trajectory potential of playing for a long time. Ask PJ Tucker too how long you can play  with those same skills. Some years were better than others but when they’re healthy they’re playoff caliber 

Ideally, Maxi would be a 5 only at this point 

Lively/Gafford/Maxi 

We run so much PnR action that we need depth at the position to handle the long season with injuries. Maxi gives us a different look. It’s a perfect rotation where all 3 balance each other out. 

The extra minutes for Maxi at the 4 are out of position and only are needed because he’s good and Omax hasn’t figured it out yet
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply