Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.92 Average
AROUND the NBA: Bam Signs 3yr/166m Max Extension| KP To Miss Start of Next Season
(06-19-2024, 08:47 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: [Wojnarowski] ESPN Sources: After one season, the Detroit Pistons have dismissed coach Monty Williams — who leaves with five years and $65M-plus left on his deal. New President Trajan Langdon will move to make his own coaching hire now.

Wow. Most expensive coach (at a time) got fired only after his first season. Langdon has the green light to do whatever he wants to reach set goals. 

Not sure what those goals are, I didn't really follow other teams lately. Do they want to compete ASAP or is there a rebuild of a rebuild?
Like Reply
(06-19-2024, 08:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow. Most expensive coach (at a time) got fired only after his first season. Langdon has the green light to do whatever he wants to reach set goals. 

Not sure what those goals are, I didn't really follow other teams lately. Do they want to compete ASAP or is there a rebuild of a rebuild?

This storied NBA franchise has hit rock bottom, again.... Who knows what's next on this rudderless ship.
Like Reply
(06-19-2024, 08:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow. Most expensive coach (at a time) got fired only after his first season. Langdon has the green light to do whatever he wants to reach set goals. 

I suppose mailing in 3/4 of the season will do that. AND setting the longest losing streak in American professional sports. 

Monty was really really bad.

I read their boards around the TDL and most were waffling around trading Cade and restarting totally again with a #1 this draft. The other half were content with Cade+Duren as a starting point and to work around the edges trading the vets. Detroit somehow didn't do any of that at the TDL. I think more than likely they blow it up by trading Cade and tank for Cooper Flagg next year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-19-2024, 09:32 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I suppose mailing in 3/4 of the season will do that. AND setting the longest losing streak in American professional sports. 

Monty was really really bad.

I read their boards around the TDL and most were waffling around trading Cade and restarting totally again with a #1 this draft. The other half were content with Cade+Duren as a starting point and to work around the edges trading the vets. Detroit somehow didn't do any of that at the TDL. I think more than likely they blow it up by trading Cade and tank for Cooper Flagg next year.

If the goal for next season is to tank, all the right pieces were already in place Smile They don't need to trade Cade to have a tanking season (or pay gazillion to Monty to make him dissapear). I think it is more likely they want to make a Houston like move, to finally have a somewhat positive season.

I think biggest dissagreement with Monty could be Ivey, who was a back-up to "out of league Hayes" for most of the season. I think Cade, Duren, Ivey and Thompson is their core to build around. Those guys imho need a good PG (doubt Cade is it) and a PF who can shoot. 

Interesting question: is there a place for Stewart in the new vision?
Like Reply
I think the reason they fired Williams was that he acted like an ass and nobody liked him. They´ll tank next year (voluntarily or involuntarily), so you get a  cheap young coaching prodigy with positive vibes, while you get your ass kicked to a 22 wins season.
Like Reply
Congrats Monty. Go buy a private island and enjoy.
Like Reply
Looking at this FA class, it is really weak at the top. A team like Detroit can try to money whip George or Anunoby, but unlikely any of them takes the offer. Than you are basically at Klay Thompsons and Tobias Harris' of the world. So probably more likely they offer salary relief to some teams starting a rebuild. They are in a good position to make trades.
Like Reply
(06-19-2024, 01:53 PM)omahen Wrote: Looking at this FA class, it is really weak at the top. A team like Detroit can try to money whip George or Anunoby, but unlikely any of them takes the offer. Than you are basically at Klay Thompsons and Tobias Harris' of the world. So probably more likely they offer salary relief to some teams starting a rebuild. They are in a good position to make trades.

I think there is a non-zero chance that Detroit throws big money at Miles Bridges and Tobias Harris and calls it a day.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I was interested to see the Ringer updates top 100 nba players list after the playoffs. This is different than Bill simmons trade value list. These lists don’t matter but I was wondering if the mavs would get 4 players on the list.

They got three. Lively was at 97 and PJ wasn’t listed. I was a little disappointed in the list. I haven’t looked at it closely but I thought Lively would be higher than 97. I also thought PJ would be in this range. Shooting is the one thing holding him back. I really think if he becomes a more consistent shooter that he is really one of the top two way non star guys and should be in the 60/70’s. With that being said I hoped he would be in the top 100 after our playoff run.
Like Reply
^ how high was Aaron Gordon?
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 09:00 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: ^ how high was Aaron Gordon?

56th. Just skimmed through the list and cannot find any consistent method that would explain the rankings.
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
JJ Redick could now be a name to watch for the Pistons’ head coach opening, per @VinceGoodwill (https://sports.yahoo.com/monty-williams-...53380.html).

Detroit’s Vice Chairman, Arn Tellem, used to be Redick’s agent during his playing days.

The Lakers might have competition now for their top target.
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 07:14 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I was interested to see the Ringer updates top 100 nba players list after the playoffs.  This is different than Bill simmons trade value list.  These lists don’t matter but I was wondering if the mavs would get 4 players on the list.

They got three.  Lively was at 97 and PJ wasn’t listed.  I was a little disappointed in the list.  I haven’t looked at it closely but I thought Lively would be higher than 97.  I also thought PJ would be in this range.  Shooting is the one thing holding him back.  I really think if he becomes a more consistent shooter that he is really one of the top two way non star guys and should be in the 60/70’s.  With that being said I hoped he would be in the top 100 after our playoff run.

I've never been impressed with the Ringer. Always seems very biased.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
@wojespn
ESPN Sources: JJ Redick has agreed on a four-year contract to become the next coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. Rob Pelinka offered job this morning and Redick’s started working on a staff to surround himself with experience.
Like Reply
@wojespn
Pelinka became sold on Redick’s ability to connect with players and his basketball IQ and believes surrounding him with an elite coaching staff will help to shorten the learning curve into his first coaching job, sources said.
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 02:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @wojespn
Pelinka became sold on Redick’s ability to connect with players and his basketball IQ and believes surrounding him with an elite coaching staff will help to shorten the learning curve into his first coaching job, sources said.

Elite coaching stuff including LeBron the player coach? Will be interesting how this will turn out with a rookie coach on the most prestigious coaching job in basketball.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knutsen's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 02:20 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Elite coaching stuff including LeBron the player coach? Will be interesting how this will turn out with a rookie coach on the most prestigious coaching job in basketball.

I love JJ Redick, like a lot. But, I don't think Spoelstra could get this version of the Lakers into the top 4-5 seeds in the West, so my gut reaction answer to your question is "not great."
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
The Lakers believe that JJ Redick could be their version of Erik Spoelstra, per
@ShamsCharania

“The 39-year-old Redick checks many of the boxes on the Lakers’ extensive checklist for their next coach. He’s drawn internal comparisons to a young Pat Riley as a coaching prospect who jumped from playing to the broadcast booth to the coaching chair. Los Angeles is confident he can be their version of Erik Spoelstra or Steve Kerr – a culture-setter who can grow with the franchise for over a decade.”
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 02:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I love JJ Redick, like a lot. But, I don't think Spoelstra could get this version of the Lakers into the top 4-5 seeds in the West, so my gut reaction answer to your question is "not great."

Funny you mention Spolestra. Cause the Lakers see a lot of similarities LOL!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 02:46 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Funny you mention Spolestra. Cause the Lakers see a lot of similarities LOL!

You know, there probably ARE a lot of similarities, but there were with Nash, too. Understanding concepts isn't everything, I guess.
Like Reply