Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-04-2024, 12:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: How do folks think we will defend Boston?  Who will Luka guard?

MAVS IN 4!
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 12:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: How do folks think we will defend Boston?  Who will Luka guard?

I think he will be on JRue and Kyrie on White. DJJ on Brown and PJ on Tatum
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 01:48 PM)omahen Wrote: I think he will be on JRue and Kyrie on White. DJJ on Brown and PJ on Tatum

I see that being the preferred setup with Gafford/Lively on the floor.  If/When Kidd goes small with Maxi/PJ frontcourt, I think you might see some Luka on Horford, Maxi on Tatum, PJ on Brown.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

Feels like PJ/DJJ have Brown and Tatum
Centers on centers
Kyrie on Jrue
So Luka on White?
Like Reply
I know it's dangerous to actually talk basketball strategy (because clearly, the Mavs don't need any of that - they'll win in 4), but despite all the talk of Boston "switching everything," which I agree is a possibility, here's Tim Legler talking about how Boston is basically a drop coverage pick and roll defense team, just like Minnesota. Now, he ALSO says the week off and time in between each game will enable them to try different things, but I have a sneaky feeling Dallas will be more prepared for the defensive wrinkles than Boston will be to execute them. 

Also, Boston has been the statistically worst team defending the pick and roll in these playoffs, due in large part, I'm sure, to playing IND in the conference finals, and that was without Haliburton, mostly. I think A) Luka and the Mavs are going to pressure the defense far more than IND, and B) the Mavs are going to offer a far bigger deterrent to what Boston's going to try to accomplish on the other end of the floor. 

https://www.youtube.com/live/76JbVUu8Fs4...tnPz5vVkql
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
I love how much Legler likes this version of the Mavs
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 02:37 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: LOL

I admire your gumption. Glad you're on our side because if you were a fan for another team I know I'd find you the most infuriating person ever.

It is absolute cognitive dissonance to say your opponent is an all time top 10 team and say your team is going to beat them. If Boston is an all time great Dallas might as well not show up.

Boston is not as good as your cherry picked stats tell you they are. Most pundits agree btw.  No one is saying — except Boston fans and you and a few others in here - that Boston is great. You’re kinda on an island.
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 02:25 PM)windjc Wrote: It is absolute cognitive dissonance to say your opponent is an all time top 10 team and say your team is going to beat them. If Boston is an all time great Dallas might as well not show up.

Boston is not as good as your cherry picked stats tell you they are. Most pundits agree btw.  No one is saying — except Boston fans and you and a few others in here - that Boston is great. You’re kinda on an island.

You're so, so right! I can't believe Silver hasn't cancelled the series and given Dumont the trophy already. 

Obviously, MAVS IN 4!
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 02:25 PM)windjc Wrote: It is absolute cognitive dissonance to say your opponent is an all time top 10 team and say your team is going to beat them. If Boston is an all time great Dallas might as well not show up.

You come up with these narrow definitions and try to insist that everyone abides by your definitions. Folks here aren't exhibiting cognitive dissonance. We're all fans sharing opinions and doing our best to make our cases based on the data we see. 

And your use of the word "absolute" there is silly. You want to take someone to task for being over the top and then throw out the phrase "absolute cognitive dissonance." Come on Kettle. 

If you don't think Boston is a great team, then make your case. If you don't like the numbers that others use, come up with something better and make your case. 

If you want to have more fun here, then talk basketball with us instead of resorting to ad hominem. 

We're going to have fun either way. We can either read your actual basketball thoughts, consider them and offer comment about the basketball content. Or you can keep doing the silly ad hominem stuff and we can just reply "Mavs in 3!"
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply

Can somebody just ban this troll already?  It does no good to ignore him because everyone keeps responding to him.  He has completely shit what was once a really good thread.  Every post he makes are personal attacks intended to incite a response.
Like Reply
Mavs are going to make history and win in 3.
Like Reply
Is the Mav's injury report cleared of everyone except Prosper and Brown?

BTW, what did Prosper do to his ankle that he's still on the report a couple months later? Not that it matters, just curious.
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 02:57 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Mavs are going to make history and win in 3.

Spoken like a true Mavs fan! Glad to know there are at least three of us up in this piece.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Awesome... I am not much into conspiracy theories or thinking those guys don't like Mavs. But strictly from ref quality perspective, how can NBA see Brothers or Foster as good refs? Is this really the best they have to offer...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1012...-mavericks
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 03:10 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Is the Mav's injury report cleared of everyone except Prosper and Brown?

BTW, what did Prosper do to his ankle that he's still on the report a couple months later? Not that it matters, just curious.

Been wondering this too - didn't he get the injury around the same time as THJ had his?

Was hoping he'd be able to play in the Finals in the event there was a blowout (either way) so that he could get that experience.
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 03:19 PM)omahen Wrote: Awesome... I am not much into conspiracy theories or thinking those guys don't like Mavs. But strictly from ref quality perspective, how can NBA see Brothers or Foster as good refs? Is this really the best they have to offer...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1012...-mavericks

For whatever reason the NBA really really likes them.

Its unfortunate, but the Mavs have to overcome reffing. They've done a pretty good job so far aside from a few missed games against LAC and OKC.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 03:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: For whatever reason the NBA really really likes them.

Its unfortunate, but the Mavs have to overcome reffing. They've done a pretty good job so far aside from a few missed games against LAC and OKC.

The good news is that I guarantee they're having the same conversation in Boston. EVERY team's fans think Tony Brothers and Scott Foster are out to get their team.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Jason at Hoops Tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofV6SvUCfT0

Will Luka Doncic be UNSTOPPABLE vs. Celtics? How Boston can slow Mavericks offense
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(06-04-2024, 03:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The good news is that I guarantee they're having the same conversation in Boston. EVERY team's fans think Tony Brothers and Scott Foster are out to get their team.

Yep. I don't think Brothers is biased against anyone. I think he's just bad.

Foster isn't biased against a specific team--he's just biased against whoever's leading the series. (True of some of the others as well--I see 12 people on the list, that's 4 3-man crews for 4 games. If the series goes 7, do some of these guys get an extra game/paycheck?)
Like Reply
It's unfortunate this thread derailed a bit. I've enjoyed reading and responding to good basketball talk this week. A nice break from the usually busy offseason thread.

I haven't been able to listen/watch any podcasts yet but a lot of what's been covered here already is sure to be the main talking points. IMO, the biggest thing the Mavs can do in Game 1 is just dare KP to beat you. Attack him in the PnR on offense and make him the guy you rotate from on the defensive end. Test the knee and rust the first half. If he hits 5 threes then he might beat you. I'd just make him prove it!
[-] The following 4 users Like Smitty's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply