Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
[Image: GO8PxRHXEAAO-Tb?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
This an interesting clip on Doris Burke's take on the Boston-Mavs matchup on Rich Eisen's show. She mentions a couple of things others don't - Kleber's return and the Mavs chemistry and toughness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgVKFwgZ8-8

BTW, Doris will be making the call along with Mike Breen as the two main announcers for the final. Doris breaks another barrier here as the first woman to call a men's final

Several pundits picking Mavs - probably 60-40 in favor of Boston, but several good reasons to think this will be a good series.

Mavs clearly faced the better teams. In fact, they have beaten three 50-win teams to get where they are - better than all but four other NBA finalists. Boston didn't face a 50-win team, and those teams they faced had injured players.

Mavs have the best single player - maybe the best two players, and Boston having the best collection of 5-out talent

Mavs showing a slightly better defense statistically and Boston showing a slightly better offense

Big question regarding how Boston guards Kyrie, and how Dallas plays it centers (assuming KP plays)

Kleber's recovery and Lively's development can't be overstated in regard to Dallas lineup possibilities.

For those interested Jason Timpf at Hoops Tonight (Youtube) will have several videos starting Saturday on the Boston-Dallas matchup
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • fifteenth, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Been binge watching/listening content lately, enjoying the heaps of praise being showered on Luka and the Mavs. 
Includes previews of Mavs Celtics as well

Below I think is worth your time - love Zach Lowe, although he is picking the Celts unfortunately

Favorite quote by Macmahon on the Hoops Collective podcast  - "Boston fans are going to give Kyrie hell, and Luka is going to take it personal. You dont want to be the fan that says something that Luka takes personally."

[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Mavs have the best player, Celtics have the two next. Series is contingent on Maxi and

Lively
Like Reply
Didn’t like the title of the topic. Playoffs 4th round? Really sleepinghero? Instead of NBA FINALS?

Anyway, I really don’t think the Celtics have an answer for Luka. The best shot they have on him is Jaylon Brown and I give it zero chance to put JB on Luka, which will kill their composition in offense, the only thing they have the upper hand over Dallas.

I'm just concerned about how Kyrie will perform. With Jrue and DW, who are excellent defenders, guarding him, it could be tough. If Kyrie takes playing against the Celtics personally and has an ineffective series, we won't stand a chance from the start. We need Kyrie to lead effectively throughout.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
[-] The following 2 users Like TurkishMFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, Dahlsim
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 03:21 AM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: Didn’t like the title of the topic. Playoffs 4th round? Really sleepinghero? Instead of NBA FINALS?
Instead of NBA FINALS?  - I had the same thought. 
[-] The following 2 users Like Dahlsim's post:
  • BigDirk41, TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 01:13 AM)GATA Wrote: Mavs have the best player, Celtics have the two next.  Series is contingent on Maxi and

Lively

I think KY is right there with the Celts 2.   He facilitates more than the Celts do.  D White is a place the Celts have a clear advantage IMO.
[-] The following 3 users Like bubbler86's post:
  • BigDirk41, MrGoat, TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
Lord have mercy, the Celtics fans are annoying. Boston fans are typically bad enough. Add the historical run the Boston sports teams have had over the past 15-20 years and they are even worse. Add that this Boston Celtics team is really, really good and you get the perfect storm of just horrendous fans. I have seen some saying Luka is the third best player in the series. Not a lot, but some. There are F*** Kyrie shirts being sold. The Boston games are going to be just a crazy experience.
Like Reply
I really don't think Boston fans have any idea what they are up against. I see so many of them talking about the 2-0 season series and that Luka and Kyrie can't guard anyone. It's obvious that they haven't watched this current Mavs team. I was shocked at how Shaq basically just now learned how amazing Luka is after seeing him play for a whole series. That seems crazy to me when that's your job and he's a HOF player. Nobody on TNT knew Dallas played defense and they all laughed at Kyrie and Luka prior to the series about how they couldn't guard anyone. It's flat out ignorance by most of the media and fans. I like the Mavs in 6 and I'm not just hopeful as a fan. I've felt like they are the better team against every team we've faced and I still feel that way. Nobody plays together like the Mavs are currently. And only 1 team has Luka.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • fifteenth, TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 08:56 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Lord have mercy, the Celtics fans are annoying.  Boston fans are typically bad enough.  Add the historical run the Boston sports teams have had over the past 15-20 years and they are even worse.  Add that this Boston Celtics team is really, really good and you get the perfect storm of just horrendous fans.  I have seen some saying Luka is the third best player in the series.  Not a lot, but some.  There are F*** Kyrie shirts being sold.  The Boston games are going to be just a crazy experience.

I love it. It'll make beating them more fun.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
TBH I actually think a lot hinges on what types of strategies the Celtics use. I think the talent level difference is significant, absolutely enough to even out the advantage having the best player in the series has. There were a lot of things defensively that IMO the Wolves could have done to make the series much closer than it was. Despite their stars underperforming, Finch did not coach that team or make the quick and necessary adjustments well whatsoever. The Celtics making great consistent adjustments in combination with their superior overall talent could make all the difference. If they don't, Luka will dissect them and we will have a great opportunity to capitalize. I think this series will look at lot more like the OKC series but with a much more difficult time defending their offense. That also means PJ and DJJ will have to show up again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 09:30 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I really don't think Boston fans have any idea what they are up against. I see so many of them talking about the 2-0 season series and that Luka and Kyrie can't guard anyone. It's obvious that they haven't watched this current Mavs team. I was shocked at how Shaq basically just now learned how amazing Luka is after seeing him play for a whole series. That seems crazy to me when that's your job and he's a HOF player. Nobody on TNT knew Dallas played defense and they all laughed at Kyrie and Luka prior to the series about how they couldn't guard anyone. It's flat out ignorance by most of the media and fans. I like the Mavs in 6 and I'm not just hopeful as a fan. I've felt like they are the better team against every team we've faced and I still feel that way. Nobody plays together like the Mavs are currently. And only 1 team has Luka.

Shaq also commented that he didn’t realize how big Luka is.  Luka and Kyrie are both playing adequate defense in the playoffs and at times both have been really good especially Luka in isolation.  Not watching the games seems to be a big problem with the national media.  I think this is the main reason Luka finished 3rd in MVP voting. I have no problem with the Joker winning it again this year, but for SGA to finish ahead of Luka is unreasonable for anyone who has watched them play more than a few times.   BUT NOW because of this playoff run Luka is getting the recognition he deserves.
[-] The following 3 users Like rocky164's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, WillE
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 03:21 AM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: Didn’t like the title of the topic. Playoffs 4th round? Really sleepinghero? Instead of NBA FINALS?

Was following the same trend as the first 3 rounds. 

No jinxing here!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Smitty, TurkishMFFL, WillE
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 10:31 AM)Dundalis Wrote: TBH I actually think a lot hinges on what types of strategies the Celtics use. I think the talent level difference is significant, absolutely enough to even out the advantage having the best player in the series has. There were a lot of things defensively that IMO the Wolves could have done to make the series much closer than it was. Despite their stars underperforming, Finch did not coach that team or make the quick and necessary adjustments well whatsoever. The Celtics making great consistent adjustments in combination with their superior overall talent could make all the difference. If they don't, Luka will dissect them and we will have a great opportunity to capitalize. I think this series will look at lot more like the OKC series but with a much more difficult time defending their offense. That also means PJ and DJJ will have to show up again.

I think this last sentence has a good deal of truth to it. Boston has five 2-way players that have to be guarded. Of the ten best players in the two team starting lineups, DJJ and PJ would likely be 9th and 10th. Those two are very good players, but there's a good case that the entire starting cast of Boston has better overall players. The Mavs won't be able to load up defensively on specific Boston players like we did with Minnesota. There are no Andersons we can ignore, or Gorbets we can manipulate.

Personally, I think Boston should win based on the personnel and I understand why Vegas sees it that way. What is more difficult to predict is Luka's uncanny ability to manage the half-court game, and the team chemistry this team has created. The chemistry (the huddles, talks of trust, practice vibes) is frankly more noticeable with the Mavs and is probably not measurable. The Mavs are capable of bringing more energy, and Luka is far and away the best player on either team. Tatum has had stretches where he's disappeared, and the team play has been lackadaisical.

The other thing is that there is an inordinate amount of pressure on Boston to win it all. The fan base has been expecting it and the Eastern Conference could really change next year if NY is healthy, and Indiana has another year to mature. By contrast, I doubt the Mavs fan base would feel the same level of defeat since no one really expected them here during mid-season, and almost all of our players are young and under contract for awhile. Boston will be feeling a lot more pressure.
[-] The following 9 users Like Winter's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Lukedoncic, omahen, Reunion Mav, Smitty, WillE
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_...nba-finals

Zach Lowe's piece on the Dallas vs Boston matchups.
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 12:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Was following the same trend as the first 3 rounds. 

No jinxing here!

No jinxing. Just change it to the NBA Finals, game 1, game 2, etc.. Has a better ring to it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 02:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: No jinxing. Just change it to the NBA Finals, game 1, game 2, etc.. Has a better ring to it.

But why change whats working folks????

Im too superstitious to mess with that. If it's really bothering y'all I'll change it but I don't need no bad juju!
Like Reply
https://www.nba.com/news/celtics-maveric...finals?lid=

24 key stats ahead of the Celtics-Mavericks Finals.
  • BolsDamols
Like Reply
https://www.nba.com/news/2024-nba-finals...ericks?lid=

More analysis from NBA.com
Like Reply
(06-01-2024, 02:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: But why change whats working folks????

Im too superstitious to mess with that. If it's really bothering y'all I'll change it but I don't need no bad juju!

I feel ya if you're superstitious.  But we're beyond the playoffs now. This is for all the marbles!  But you're an administrator, do as you wish...
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply