Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 3rd Round: Minnesota Timberwolves - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-1!
This may be Lively's rookie season, but it's not realistic to call him a rookie any more. Looks as good or better than any other 5 I can think of. He and Gaff might look even better in the next round.
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 09:23 AM)michaeltex Wrote: This may be Lively's rookie season, but it's not realistic to call him a rookie any more. Looks as good or better than any other 5 I can think of. He and Gaff might look even better in the next round.

Going to be a fun matchup. Athleticism, rim running and rebounding vs experience, shooting and passing. Feels like Horford isn't aging but he will have to run the floor with the two Mavs bigs for 30+ minutes.
I wonder what kind of version of KP we can expect. We have all seen how bad he can look in the first few games after an injury. Also seen the "new KP" that has accepted his role and turned into an elite "role player plus".
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 08:45 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Next up on First Take...Beer Gate.

Is Luka's look the first sign that Luka is not happy in Dallas and is looking to request a trade to a team who will let him drink...coming up next....

If Fin can be a good accountability partner, then that would keep Luka from having to miss practice to go to meetings
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 09:37 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Going to be a fun matchup. Athleticism, rim running and rebounding vs experience, shooting and passing. Feels like Horford isn't aging but he will have to run the floor with the two Mavs bigs for 30+ minutes.
I wonder what kind of version of KP we can expect. We have all seen how bad he can look in the first few games after an injury. Also seen the "new KP" that has accepted his role and turned into an elite "role player plus".

We can neutralize KP by guarding him with Hardy
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 4 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav, rocky164, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 09:47 AM)fifteenth Wrote: We can neutralize KP by guarding him with Hardy

His post game is better than it used to be. 96.0 percentile. Most efficient scorer that is getting more than one post touch per game. But I am still feeling good about the Mavs options to guard him. Mavs have size and mobility. Would be willing to give up the top of the key three if they have to pick a poison. Test KPs legs after the injury. Test his mental toughness.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Arioch, fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 09:55 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: His post game is better than it used to be. 96.0 percentile. Most efficient scorer that is getting more than one post touch per game. But I am still feeling good about the Mavs options to guard him. Mavs have size and mobility. Would be willing to give up the top of the key three if they have to pick a poison. Test KPs legs after the injury. Test his mental toughness.

Hi KP. Meet DLive. Don't worry about those two long-armed jumping jacks swiping at the ball while you're working on your friendship with Dereck.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 09:06 AM)Smitty Wrote: Gaff - 24.5 MPG
10.8 ppg / 6.8 rbs / 2.7 blks

Lively - 21.9 MPG
9.5 ppg / 7.8 rbs / 1.5 blks

Center rotation - 46.4 MPG
20.3 ppg / 14.6 rbs / 4.2 blks

Incredible by these two young men. Against the number #1 defense in the NBA and size for days. These two just kept the wave of intensity coming. Also great series by Josh Green. 2nd in NetRtg to Maxi and 1st in DEFRTG this series. Did a fantastic job coming off the bench and guarding ANT.

The stars shined bright and their teammates played their roles to perfection. We can shut down Round 3 thread because we’re moving on to round 4… NBA FINALS!

Love our big man rotation. Josh Green has frustrated me severely for a long time. I yelled at him often these playoffs for not finishing and making low BBIQ plays. But I think the pain of errors in the playoffs may have finally helped him turn the corner. Kudos to Josh. We need him elevating our bench.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
Everyone at the Target Center knew the Timberwolves were in troubles two minutes into Game 5. “It was Luka magic mode,” Jason Kidd said after the Mavs punched their Finals ticket with a blowout. ESPN story: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/4024...nba-finals
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Chris Finch when asked if Dallas’ offensive plan could be part of the Wolves offensive blueprint moving forward:

“I’m not a big fan of these heliocentric offenses.”

Finch said he would look more to the Murray-Jokic Denver offense as an identity for Ant, KAT and this Wolves roster.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 12:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Chris Finch when asked if Dallas’ offensive plan could be part of the Wolves offensive blueprint moving forward:

Finch said he would look more to the Murray-Jokic Denver offense as an identity for Ant, KAT and this Wolves roster.

Some odd comments from Finch this series.  Surprised he didn't throw in that he didn't like illegal screen offenses.
[-] The following 8 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 12:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Chris Finch when asked if Dallas’ offensive plan could be part of the Wolves offensive blueprint moving forward:

Pretty sure that Edwards will never be as good of a playmaker as Luka or Jokic. Also has no inbetween game. Years away from ever being able to handle a Luka-like role if ever reaches that level. Just doesn't have the same feel for the game.
KAT cannot even score in the post when he isn't getting doubled and is a mediocre passer with a high turnover rate. Using him as a playmaking hub in the high post is the best way to tank the offense even more.
Not sure if all of the questionable things the Wolves tried on offense are on Finch but they ran their first quarter offense through Gobert. In an elimination game. That alone is enough to question his ability to come up with a good offensive scheme.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, Reunion Mav, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 08:26 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Ha ha!!! So Fin is the Luka baby sitter, enforcer!?

Those Mavs, they don't tell us everything!

I think this is about branding, not Luka not being allowed to have a beer
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 12:42 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Some odd comments from Finch this series.  Surprised he didn't throw in that he didn't like illegal screen offenses.

Not to mention that I feel like the Mavs’ offense becoming far less heliocentric has been a trend for weeks now. I mean, it is obvious to anyone watching that Luka is starting to trust his teammates more. I’m not sure if this is having the effect of lowering his usage rate, exactly, but the ball is moving in Dallas in a way that it just wasn’t at the beginning of the season.

One of the big issues facing the Timberwolves, in my opinion, is that they literally do not have a player capable of initiating offensive basketball once a team takes the paint away from Edwards. They have plenty of finishers. It kind of seems like they don’t have an offensive system in Minnesota, so it seems odd for him to criticize the Dallas system, which just turned the “best defense in the league” into Swiss cheese.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, fifteenth, michaeltex, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 12:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: One of the big issues facing the Timberwolves, in my opinion, is that they literally do not have a player capable of initiating offensive basketball once a team takes the paint away from Edwards. 

Ha.  I am against heliocentric offenses too when it is Hardy, Hardaway, Frankie Smokes, etc  trying to run it Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 12:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not to mention that I feel like the Mavs’ offense becoming far less heliocentric has been a trend for weeks now. I mean, it is obvious to anyone watching that Luka is starting to trust his teammates more. I’m not sure if this is having the effect of lowering his usage rate, exactly, but the ball is moving in Dallas in a way that it just wasn’t at the beginning of the season.

One of the big issues facing the Timberwolves, in my opinion, is that they literally do not have a player capable of initiating offensive basketball once a team takes the paint away from Edwards. They have plenty of finishers. It kind of seems like they don’t have an offensive system in Minnesota, so it seems odd for him to criticize the Dallas system, which just turned the “best defense in the league” into Swiss cheese.

Hasn't been mentioned enough. Luka's usage is at an all time low (ignoring his rookie season). 36% in the regular season. 32.1% right now.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, fifteenth, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 12:42 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Some odd comments from Finch this series.  Surprised he didn't throw in that he didn't like illegal screen offenses.

True, but keep in mind it's his first time in the conference finals and he's still only 54 years old so we should probably cut him some slack if some of his post game comments come across as immature.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 01:13 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: True, but keep in mind it's his first time in the conference finals and he's still only 54 years old so we should probably cut him some slack if some of his post game comments come across as immature.

We know exactly what you’re doing here, sir…let’s let that one go for a while. Point that hate towards Tatum and Brown, where it might do some good.
Like Reply

Ant can't do what Luka does
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 12:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not to mention that I feel like the Mavs’ offense becoming far less heliocentric has been a trend for weeks now. I mean, it is obvious to anyone watching that Luka is starting to trust his teammates more. I’m not sure if this is having the effect of lowering his usage rate, exactly, but the ball is moving in Dallas in a way that it just wasn’t at the beginning of the season.

I agree. 

Regarding Luka, I think he's becoming really great at being willing and able to make the right play based on the defense and game situation, whether that results in his own shot or a shot for his teammates. 

Regarding Ant, he is more of a pre-positionless basketball shooting guard. I think they need a point guard for Ant to thrive.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-31-2024, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: We know exactly what you’re doing here, sir…let’s let that one go for a while. Point that hate towards Tatum and Brown, where it might do some good.

Just having a little fun, no hate here.  

Plus, I can't hate towards Tatum and Brown in a 3rd Round Playoffs thread focused on Minnesota, gotta save it for the Finals round thread  Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply