Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 3rd Round: Minnesota Timberwolves - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-1!
[Image: GOWby-NXsAEcJXd?format=jpg&name=medium]

Pat Mahomes really is just like me.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Minnesota shocked Denver by beating them in game 1.

Denver probably felt, subconsciously, that the younger team would be satisfied by stealing an early home game away from the champs and still didn't buckle up properly for game 2. Minnesota killed them again.

Then, Denver finally started playing and won 3 straight games, the first two on the road. I watched all three of those games, and all three were more decisive victories than the Mavs win in game 1 of this series.

Then, Denver, intentionally or unintentionally, let up again, probably feeling on some level that the Wolves knew they were beaten. The Wolves did not know, and tied the series up at home.

Then, Denver went all out in home game 7, building a fairly late double digit lead, and probably felt on some level that the series was finally over, letting off the slightest bit. The Wolves did not think it was over, and by the time Denver knew what had hit them, they were out of gas and broken. During the closing minutes of that game, I saw both Jokic and Murray not boxing out, not closing out to shooters, etc, etc. THEY were the ones who gave up. The CHAMPS, in a game 7, on their home court.

And through all of that, the whole series, the Wolves just kept coming at them.

What is it Apollo Creed's trainer tells him about Rocky in the sequel? "This is a man we don't need in our lives."
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 02:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Minnesota shocked Denver by beating them in game 1.

Denver probably felt, subconsciously, that the younger team would be satisfied by stealing an early home game away from the champs and still didn't buckle up properly for game 2. Minnesota killed them again.

Then, Denver finally started playing and won 3 straight games, the first two on the road. I watched all three of those games, and all three were more decisive victories than the Mavs win in game 1 of this series.

Then, Denver, intentionally or unintentionally, let up again, probably feeling on some level that the Wolves knew they were beaten. The Wolves did not know, and tied the series up at home.

Then, Denver went all out in home game 7, building a fairly late double digit lead, and probably felt on some level that the series was finally over, letting off the slightest bit. The Wolves did not think it was over, and by the time Denver knew what had hit them, they were out of gas and broken. During the closing minutes of that game, I saw both Jokic and Murray not boxing out, not closing out to shooters, etc, etc. THEY were the ones who gave up. The CHAMPS, in a game 7, on their home court.

And threw all of that, the whole series, the Wolves just kept coming at them.

What is it Apollo Creed's trainer tells him about Rocky in the sequel? "This is a man we don't need in our lives."

The key to that series really was whether or not Minny gave Denver the Rudy switch to Jokic off the PnR. If Jokic got Rudy 1 on 1, it was basically a basket every time. Either on Rudy himself or a pass to AG and a dunk. That was the main adjustment games 3-5. 

Minny couldn't/didn't figure it out until game 6, where they just decided to go under every single screen on Jokic, daring him to shoot. That basically stopped any switch for Jokic and allowed KAT/Reid to stay connected to Jokic while Rudy played 1 man away to swallow up any lob attempt or come double late if Jokic posted up, the defensive scheme that won them games 1 and 2. 

This strategy though gave Jokic+Murray 18(!) wide open 3s in games 6 and 7. They went 4-18 on them. They were previously a combined 47% on wide open 3s in their playoff career up until that point. Had Jokic and Murray didn't have some of their worst shooting of their career, Denver likely wraps up that game 7. 

What gives me hope is that Minny under no circumstance can ever go under a Luka or Kyrie screen. They are tiers above Jokic as a scorer. So they will have to concede the switch every time. 

I think the most likely adjustment is that they are going to have the big man stunt the drive and fake a double to allow McDaniels or Ant to recover to prevent a switch, but Luka is such a good passer that you're inviting a corner 3 doing that strategy. 

Lets see what they bring.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 02:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Lets see what they bring.

[Image: FnP8.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 02:28 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Ant’s big games can be soul crushing.  He doesn’t seem to have quiet big games like SGA did, or like Luka and Kai sometimes will.  You feel every one of his baskets when he’s in rhythm.  

He’s in a little stretch here where he hasn’t been good in 3 of his last 4 games, with the exception being the 45 point beat down in Game 6.  

He’s shot 17-55 in Games 5, 7, and Game 1.  That 6-24 performance would have gotten totally different coverage if the Nuggets don’t blow that lead. 

He’s 22.  This is his first rodeo.  It will be fascinating to see if he’s ready to put the bad performances behind him and be the type of bounce back player Luka is.  I could see it going either way with such a young and playoff inexperienced player.  Maybe the scoring struggles snowball on him, or maybe he responds with one of those signature games.

He’s an elite talent and I love his swagger.  I hope this first go round is just a bit too big for him but I’m definitely not holding my breath!

I suspect he’ll have a better career if he learns humility early.  Replace that swagger and braggadocio with some respect and teachability.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 04:00 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I suspect he’ll have a better career if he learns humility early.  Replace that swagger and braggadocio with some respect and teachability.

Agree, but he seems very teachable. He has heaped effusive praise on Chris Finch through the postseason, more than I've ever seen a star player credit his coach.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 02:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I honestly don't know. I think he has like 4 teams he rotates depending on vibes. Seen him at Lakers, Clippers, Suns, and Knick games. 

I forgot about that tweet and I am now waiting to repost it after Luka drops 50/12/16 tonight.

Give him credit though, he was speaking through frustrated respect for Luka. He may not like Luka, but seems like he acknowledges the talent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Berknip's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Truly no disrespect to anyone on this board, but some of us seem to be buying into Ant being the next MJ. I keep reading posts about being "scared of Ant." Why? Sure he can have a big game just like any top talent in the NBA, but he averages 25/5/5 this season. That's the exact same numbers as our #2 player, Mr. Kyrie Irving. Our best player averaged 8 more ppg than Ant. They should be scared of Luka and Kyrie. We have 2 of the 3 best players in this series. In game one, we had the 2 best players. We are the better team imo. I'm not scared of anyone on that team. If Edwards scores 45, I don't think that means we lose. It just means the other guys won't be involved as much. Like I said, nothing personal, but Ant isn't MJ or Kobe. He's a really damn good young player with a chance to be great, but he isn't great yet. The media doesn't get to decide that. Results decide that.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 04:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree, but he seems very teachable. He has heaped effusive praise on Chris Finch through the postseason, more than I've ever seen a star player credit his coach.

Cool!

Maybe he’ll learn something from Kyrie this series.
Like Reply
ESPN shows Minny favored by 5.5 points tonight.

Seems like bettors are viewing Game 1 as an outlier.

I wonder what the line will look like for Games 3 and 4 if Dallas wins game 2?
Like Reply
Ant is not HIM. TPups are not the team. Luka is Him. Mavs are the team!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 06:00 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: ESPN shows Minny favored by 5.5 points tonight.

Seems like bettors are viewing Game 1 as an outlier.

I wonder what the line will look like for Games 3 and 4 if Dallas wins game 2?
I would say bettors viewed this as a must win for MIN. Doesn't mean Game 1 is viewed as an outlier. But going down by 2 is and going then to go on the road is pretty bad compared to win this one, so you could understand that bettors considered that likelihood of this scenario rather small.

Yet, such calculations and expectations have luckily nothing to do with the actual game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillE's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 11:20 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Minny did a better job in the pick and roll compared to game one but the Mavs made some great adjustments in the second half. Mostly running double ball screens / spain pick and roll. Wolves never figured out the right switches and Mavs got whatever they wanted on offense. Should have scored more but still cannot make open jumpshots.

Last possession was a gift by the Wolves coaching staff. There are two guys on the Mavs roster that you don't want to have with the ball in their hands with the game on the line. Luka and Kyrie. Kyrie was more of a decoy. Luka gets the ball but instead of doubling him they switch their slowest defender onto Luka. Nothing Gobert can do. Cannot even blame him because he should have never been in that position. Don't think Luka ever created as much space on a game winner
Only one possible outcome. Mavs win the game and we all get new dancing Rudy meme.

That coach is putting his best players in horrible situations and blaming them for the outcome. Rudy is a great example. But so is KAT and ANT. No way in hell ANT should be tasked with defending Kyrie. No way should he be playing 40 mins/game. And asking KAT’s fat ass to sprint back on D totally neutralizes his offense. The only way Minnesota can compete in the 4th is if they change this up. Monte Morris has to play. He and Conley have to take turns on Kyrie. KAT has to play limited first-half minutes. Anderson has to get close to 30. Right now Finch’s stars are about to be ruined, and he’s just watching it happen. Like Dirk at Golden State in 07. It’s a horror show.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 4 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, BolsDamols, dirkfansince1998, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Hi ya'll. As a Wolves fan and avid NBA fan, I've been reading other teams forums throughout the playoffs. Suns, Nuggets, and now the Mavs. I have to say I enjoy this forum more than any other I've come across so far, enough so that I had to register and give ya'll the respect you deserve. This has been such a weird playoffs for the Wolves and continues to be through the first two games here. I'll be the first to admit that I was excited to play your squad. However, your squad looks ridiculously tough with the additions of Gafford and PJ. I wish you would all get to see what Ant has done all year, but alas, it looks like he's completely gassed. No one is capable of winning a series this deep in the playoffs when their two stars don't show up for it. Either way, best of the luck the rest of the way and know I'll be observing here and occasionally posting if that's okay.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 11:48 PM)EGrant23 Wrote: Hi ya'll. As a Wolves fan and avid NBA fan, I've been reading other teams forums throughout the playoffs. Suns, Nuggets, and now the Mavs. I have to say I enjoy this forum more than any other I've come across so far, enough so that I had to register and give ya'll the respect you deserve. This has been such a weird playoffs for the Wolves and continues to be through the first two games here. I'll be the first to admit that I was excited to play your squad. However, your squad looks ridiculously tough with the additions of Gafford and PJ. I wish you would all get to see what Ant has done all year, but alas, it looks like he's completely gassed. No one is capable of winning a series this deep in the playoffs when their two stars don't show up for it. Either way, best of the luck the rest of the way and know I'll be observing here and occasionally posting if that's okay.

Dude, that’s a huge compliment! Of course you’re welcome!

Edit: Wait, I actually don’t have any authority to speak for anyone else.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, WillE
Like Reply
I just enjoy the NBA. I love watching generational players. The bottom line is the Mavs have two of them at the same time and that's tough to beat. I absolutely hated losing games to the Nuggets due to Murray & Malone. Weird thing is, I haven't hated losing these two. Does it suck? Sure. Is there a slight possibility the Wolves can put up a fight and turn this into a series? I think there is as long as Ant/Kat figure their shit out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EGrant23's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 11:48 PM)EGrant23 Wrote: Hi ya'll. As a Wolves fan and avid NBA fan, I've been reading other teams forums throughout the playoffs. Suns, Nuggets, and now the Mavs. I have to say I enjoy this forum more than any other I've come across so far, enough so that I had to register and give ya'll the respect you deserve. This has been such a weird playoffs for the Wolves and continues to be through the first two games here. I'll be the first to admit that I was excited to play your squad. However, your squad looks ridiculously tough with the additions of Gafford and PJ. I wish you would all get to see what Ant has done all year, but alas, it looks like he's completely gassed. No one is capable of winning a series this deep in the playoffs when their two stars don't show up for it. Either way, best of the luck the rest of the way and know I'll be observing here and occasionally posting if that's okay.

Welcome! Please feel free to post anytime. It’s nice to hear from fans of other teams (that aren’t trolls.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 10:16 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Ant is not HIM. TPups are not the team. Luka is Him. Mavs are the team!

Ant is awesome. My ultimate dream/fantasy scenario is for Ant to get tired of not winning in Minnesota, and then join up with Luka because he realizes that it would be best for him to play alongside a high scoring Point-Forward who is also the primary play-maker... and those don't grow on trees.

Ant needs a primary play-maker... but playing with a Point Guard who is not defensively strong (like Mike Conley, who has otherwise been great for the Timberwolves) means that Ant needs to over-exert himself on defense to defend the opposing team's best small Guard. With Luka and Ant, a team can use a defensive 3&D guard to do that task instead.

G: 3&D Guard (defends the best Guard. a 6'4"-6'5" PJW would do just fine)
G: Ant
F: Luka
F: PJW (defends the best Forward)
C: Gafford/Lively

A team like this could win three in row. Maybe even be historical. Also, I think Luka and Ant would make a really cool and likable duo.
Like Reply
The NBA is pushing Edwards, but he’s not even a top 10 player. He is scared. Luka is putting him in the mayonnaise jar
Like Reply
The team your describing is exactly like the Mavs current construction, except DJJ is bigger than 6’4” and Kyrie is better than Ant
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply