Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(05-09-2024, 01:17 PM)Chicagojk Wrote:   It is tricky because the ball in Luka's hands is going to lead to good shots and most likely a top offense.  I agree with you there are a few things I would like to see him do as a dominant ball handler.   He is going to make the right decision on most plays and the results speak for themselves.   I would like to see him realize when a player is on a heater that I will do this small movement to get the hot guy in better position and feed him when he is hot.  Also, when a player is cold or in a bad streak, I would like to see him to look to get that player easy looks.  Maybe it is a shot.  Maybe it is give him some touches, etc.    It is small things but I think he can improve there.   

I am not saying he never does this, but for a guy who has the ball so much, I would like it to be done more.

Right. Managing the game. Managing the TEAM. 

To his credit, he seems to be buying in on team defense more and more as time passes, so there's evidence that he is wanting to win and none of these issues are the result of selfishness. We all knew that already, but it's nice to see further evidence, anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 11:34 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://www.theringer.com/2024/5/8/24151...ty-thunder

Interesting read on Luka Doncic.

It's not interesting at all. It's complete and utter garbage in which Beck basically says whatever he wants to disparage Luka because it's the cool thing to do right now.

How many years have we heard the Mavs have given Luka no help? What does Beck describe Mavs team of the past? 
Quote:He’d played with a young All-Star (Kristaps Porzingis), a future All-Star (Jalen Brunson), and a star-crossed former champion (Kyrie Irving).

Anyone who had a modicum of knowledge of the Mavs the last 3 years would know that KP wasn't an all-star here. JB had a single playoff run where he looked like an all-star. And for Kyrie, here's what Beck had to say not just a year ago, https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...oward-beck

Quote:I can't think of a midseason trade, an in-season trade, that was as catastrophic as this one," Howard Beck said

So goalposts moved by a mile here.
Then Beck goes on to lambast Luka for his heliocentric playstyle, but curiously has praised Jalen Brunson for playing quite literally the exact same way and has led Knicks to success...??????????? Inconsistent hate and bashing. It makes me furious. 
Beck then says the Mavs haven't had any success with Luka. Meanwhile at 20 he took the Clips (who were favored to win it all that year) to 6 games with an injured KP, hurt ankle, and bereft roster. Next year took those same Clips to 7 games with largely the same roster and a KP who has come out and said he mailed it in himself. At 23 he then went to the WCF. The 1 year he's missed the playoffs since his rookie year the Mavs started Theo Pinson and Christian Wood (and even then the Mavs were the 3rd seed at one point that season). 

Lastly the timing of this article is the most suspect hit piece I've ever seen. He didn't dare drop this after the Mavs closed out the Clippers in 6. He didn't try and drop this when the Mavs catapulted themselves into a top 6 seed from 9th in April. I don't know who Luka pissed off to have this narrative drummed up against him. This is one of the most baseless silly claims I've ever seen written. Beck is a NY shill who has a clear agenda. He should be ashamed of himself that he is so vapid and money hungry that he has to create this false narrative to get clicks. He shouldn't ever write an article again under the guise of journalism. He should switch career paths because the work he is doing is actively harming society by lowering the IQ of everyone who reads his drivel.  Fuck you Howard Beck. I mean that truly. 

Each year the team improved and got better. Luka improved and added to his game. To say Luka doesn't affect winning is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen written. On/Off numbers be damned.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 7 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth, Lukedoncic, michaeltex, RGP1981, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
I like all this takes by media and talking heads before the game. The biggest guarantee Luka will perform at the highest he is capable at the moment. Mavs will win this one and the series. Mavs in 6
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 02:28 PM)omahen Wrote: I like all this takes by media and talking heads before the game. The biggest guarantee Luka will perform at the highest he is capable at the moment. Mavs will win this one and the series. Mavs in 6

Luka has to care again, tbh.

I think Luka is physically hurt pretty bad, but that didn't stop him from being strongly competitive, including playing phenomenal defense, for most of the Clipper series even though his outside shot was toiletsville. I suspect he was despondent two nights ago from 1) the MVP vote, and 2) his teammates not being ready, (***including Kyrie*** - what the hell), 3) the refs being even more anti-Dallas than usual because Shai is evidently De Lawd, and 4) since he couldn't shoot from the outside, he couldn't save the team. If he comes with an attitude of doing the best he can to win, which absolutely was not the case the latter three quarters of game one, the Mavs have a shot tonight.
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 02:28 PM)omahen Wrote: I like all this takes by media and talking heads before the game. The biggest guarantee Luka will perform at the highest he is capable at the moment. Mavs will win this one and the series. Mavs in 6

Call me crazy, but I feel the exact, same way. Game 1 didn't really scare me. Maybe it should have, but I felt like they can easily clean up some of what went wrong, and there's just no way Luka is going to go 8 playoff games without having a good offensive performance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 02:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's not interesting at all. It's complete and utter garbage in which Beck basically says whatever he wants to disparage Luka because it's the cool thing to do right now.

How many years have we heard the Mavs have given Luka no help? What does Beck describe Mavs team of the past? 

Anyone who had a modicum of knowledge of the Mavs the last 3 years would know that KP wasn't an all-star here. JB had a single playoff run where he looked like an all-star. And for Kyrie, here's what Beck had to say not just a year ago, https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...oward-beck

So goalposts moved by a mile here.
Then Beck goes on to lambast Luka for his heliocentric playstyle, but curiously has praised Jalen Brunson for playing quite literally the exact same way and has led Knicks to success...??????????? Inconsistent hate and bashing. It makes me furious. 
Beck then says the Mavs haven't had any success with Luka. Meanwhile at 20 he took the Clips (who were favored to win it all that year) to 6 games with an injured KP, hurt ankle, and bereft roster. Next year took those same Clips to 7 games with largely the same roster and a KP who has come out and said he mailed it in himself. At 23 he then went to the WCF. The 1 year he's missed the playoffs since his rookie year the Mavs started Theo Pinson and Christian Wood (and even then the Mavs were the 3rd seed at one point that season). 

Lastly the timing of this article is the most suspect hit piece I've ever seen. He didn't dare drop this after the Mavs closed out the Clippers in 6. He didn't try and drop this when the Mavs catapulted themselves into a top 6 seed from 9th in April. I don't know who Luka pissed off to have this narrative drummed up against him. This is one of the most baseless silly claims I've ever seen written. Beck is a NY shill who has a clear agenda. He should be ashamed of himself that he is so vapid and money hungry that he has to create this false narrative to get clicks. He shouldn't ever write an article again under the guise of journalism. He should switch career paths because the work he is doing is actively harming society by lowering the IQ of everyone who reads his drivel.  Fuck you Howard Beck. I mean that truly. 

Each year the team improved and got better. Luka improved and added to his game. To say Luka doesn't affect winning is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen written. On/Off numbers be damned.

Look don't shoot the messenger. It was interesting to me because it was the first time I read something about Luka, that wasn't status quo. . I didn't post it to start a fire. Everyone has an opinion of their own. Whether you think he's trolling, is not for me to judge.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 02:39 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Luka has to care again, tbh.

I think Luka is physically hurt pretty bad, but that didn't stop him from being strongly competitive, including playing phenomenal defense, for most of the Clipper series even though his outside shot was toiletsville. I suspect he was despondent two nights ago from 1) the MVP vote, and 2) his teammates not being ready, (***including Kyrie*** - what the hell), 3) the refs being even more anti-Dallas than usual because Shai is evidently De Lawd, and 4) since he couldn't shoot from the outside, he couldn't save the team. If he comes with an attitude of doing the best he can to win, which absolutely was not the case the latter three quarters of game one, the Mavs have a shot tonight.

Pretty sure Luka cares, 100% of the time.

Sometimes he’s discouraged. Sometimes he’s frustrated. Sometimes he vents at the refs and fails to get back on D.

But caring about winning? I think it would take a heart transplant to diminish that.
[-] The following 5 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, michaeltex, surfpuckmd, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 03:24 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Pretty sure Luka cares, 100% of the time.

Sometimes he’s discouraged. Sometimes he’s frustrated. Sometimes he vents at the refs and fails to get back on D.

But caring about winning? I think it would take a heart transplant to diminish that.

Did you watch the game? Body language. He gave no effs the last three quarters of the game.
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 03:27 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Did you watch the game? Body language. He gave no effs the last three quarters of the game.

I suppose you could frame it that way. But I would be asking, "Can he effectively do more"? I'm sure there's no worse feeling knowing you can't push-off, explode to the basket, or do anything you could do three weeks ago. What's it like to be a super-competitive person in a super-competitive environment, and not be able to compete at the highest level.... and at the same time know it's hurting your team? What's he supposed to look like?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 03:46 PM)Winter Wrote: I suppose you could frame it that way. But I would be asking, "Can he effectively do more"? I'm sure there's no worse feeling knowing you can't push-off, explode to the basket, or do anything you could do three weeks ago. What's it like to be a super-competitive person in a super-competitive environment, and not be able to compete at the highest level.... and at the same time know it's hurting your team? What's he supposed to look like?

Well, that's the point, isn't it? How will he respond to this situation? Will he essentially quit as he did in game 1 (and yes, Luka quitting doesn't look like anyone else quitting), or will he do the best he can and stay focused on competing and winning? If the former, season's over. If the latter, we may live to fight another day.
Like Reply
Keys to the game:

1.Luka be Luka
2.Reduce Turnovers
3. Win the rebounding battle
4. The Refs stop giving touch fouls to SGA (reduce FT attempts)
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 03:31 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: I might be crazy, but i just have this feeling that THJ will have a couple Peja games in him during this postseason. He’s long overdue for a hot streak. If we can get some defense and a couple charges out of him, that’ll be a bonus! And as you said, with Maxi out we really need a few points from somewhere on the bench.

BINGO!!!!
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 3 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Finally, a matchup in which Timmy at the backup 4 kinda maybe does make sense! Guess that’s what Kidd was prepping him for the last 2 years?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
I’m ready with my random crazy ass game 3 adjustment. The second Jaylin Williams checks in for Chet, put Kieff in the game and go 5 out for like 3-5 minutes max.

Then before he checks out make sure he goes chest to chest with Dort and scares the crap out of him with some crazy eyes. Then give him a standing ovation as he walks off the court.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 03:21 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Look don't shoot the messenger. It was interesting to me because it was the first time I read something about Luka, that wasn't status quo. . I didn't post it to start a fire. Everyone has an opinion of their own. Whether you think he's trolling, is not for me to judge.

Absolutely wasn't trying to direct my anger at you. Sorry if that was the way it was perceived. 

I was just mad that the NBA media has it out for Luka. He's done nothing but break what is normal and expected. Like tonight he dropped 29/10/7 on pretty good efficiency and we're still like "Yeah Luka played well but he still isn't 100%"

Bonkers. The hate he gets from the national media is so undeserved (although he can always improve which is what he's done year after year!). 

That Beck article and the subsequent aggregations broke me. Once again, my bad if you thought you got caught in the cross fire.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Not sure if this was posted already or not (video was done after game 1). Great analysis of OKC defense. Basically they are totally clogging the paint and guarding both stars, giving the other Mavs the Giddey treatment. Worked for them in game 1, didn't work in game 2. Lets see if they will keep the plan going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-NnjxkZEXA
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
@NationMffl
This exchange between Derrick Jones Jr. and Dereck Lively is amazing:

DJJ: “Aye Live what you tell them?”

Lively: “I die for this sh*t!”

DJJ: “I die for this sh*t {too}!”

Lively: “I FEAR NOBODY.”

DJJ: “At all!”

https://twitter.com/NationMffl/status/17...4204899484

Watch the vid if you can! Love the passion!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Noah Weber
@noahweber00
https://twitter.com/noahweber00/status/1...9889495311
P.J. Washington on Luka Doncic:

“He shows it all (the type of leader he is) every night. He gives it his all. He’s one of the best players to play the game right now and I’m just glad to be on his team. He’s special and he makes special plays each and every night.”
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
The offense has woken up. I hope that lasts, because they’re playing great defense and it’s still not enough to keep that OKC offense down, the way it did to LAC.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 11:34 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://www.theringer.com/2024/5/8/24151...ty-thunder

Interesting read on Luka Doncic.

I think it's an interesting read as well. I read the original article that this one is based on, and I watched the podcast this article refers to. 

Regarding this particular article, my thoughts are that it uses way too many generalities and assumptions to come to possible conclusions. He says things like "he played with KP and JB," using that as proof that he's played with great players, as if KP was any good here, while ignoring that with JB (not the JB we see today, of course) he made a conference finals. And he completely ignores Luka's age and the natural, years long arch of an NBA superstar. No one wins immediately. 

He also doesn't talk enough about how drawing conclusions off of just one stat can be problematic.  

Anyway, I don't have time to give more examples of either the bit of the article that I think is interesting or the majority of the article that is mostly generalities and assumptions. The podcast he mentioned is probably the most interesting of the three offerings.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply