Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 3.65 Average
MAVS NEWS: Lively to Be Full Time Starter Next Season | Luka "Ecstatic" About Klay
@Daniel_rob27

Nico Harrison turned Josh Green, Grant Williams, Seth Curry, Dinwiddie, Finney-Smith and three first round picks into Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, PJ Washington and Daniel Gafford.

...when 0-time All-Star Mikal Bridges cost 5 first rounders.

Build the statue.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 09:55 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Lively already has developed it. He just isn't allowed to do it in games. Watch the form on his 3 in the finals. It's literally perfect form. He spoked earlier this season about Kidd not letting him shoot them in game yet. There's lots of practice footage of him draining corner 3s over and over. He's also developed some pretty nice moves down low, but I guess he isn't allowed to do that either. I think they literally spent all year developing his offense, but just kept it simple in games so he could focus on defense and rebounding and catching lobs. His draft workout shows him hitting 14 corner 3s in a row. Obviously game situations are different, but I really think he could shoot a good percentage next year if he's allowed to shoot 2-3 a game. I bet he shoots 35% or better from 3.

He's gonna be a monster. Our monster.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Tyler
Like Reply
from this off season we not only assembled a roster good enough to contend for a championship or championships in Kyrie's remaining prime years, but also found some young talents in Grimes and Marshall that could make a solid core together with luka/pj/lively for many years beyond that. and don't forget the two first round picks that we have have yet to be used.
[-] The following 5 users Like LukaMVP's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, michaeltex, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 11:26 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: from this off season we not only assembled a roster good enough to contend for a championship or championships in Kyrie's remaining prime years, but also found some young talents in Grimes and Marshall that could make a solid core together with luka/pj/lively for many years beyond that. and don't forget the two first round picks that we have have yet to be used.

They are already reserved for next summer, when Simons contract will become an expiring. I just hope nobody trades for him until then.
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 09:55 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Lively already has developed it. He just isn't allowed to do it in games. Watch the form on his 3 in the finals. It's literally perfect form. He spoke earlier this season about Kidd not letting him shoot them in game yet. There's lots of practice footage of him draining corner 3s over and over. He's also developed some pretty nice moves down low, but I guess he isn't allowed to do that either. I think they literally spent all year developing his offense, but just kept it simple in games so he could focus on defense and rebounding and catching lobs. His draft workout shows him hitting 14 corner 3s in a row. Obviously game situations are different, but I really think he could shoot a good percentage next year if he's allowed to shoot 2-3 a game. I bet he shoots 35% or better from 3.
WCS also dropped multiple 3s during training in his first summer with us, but never implemented that shot into his NBA game.

Yet I hope they trust Lively and the league is now 10 years further along too, so that alone increases the chances we might start to see him shooting from the outside.
[-] The following 2 users Like WillE's post:
  • BigDirk41, Mavs2021
Like Reply
All Things Mavs (@All_Things_Mavs)
MacMahon says his understanding is that Luka Doncic is “pretty ecstatic” about the Klay Thompson addition

He also says he threw out Dennis Smith Jr.‘s name as an addition to the roster to “someone in the organization and it didn’t get shot down.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41
Like Reply
Evan Sidery: DAL expected to move Lively to full time starter role next season. Gafford to move to the bench.

https://x.com/esidery/status/1808119839203999981?s=46&t=-bN4oD2OLU_Ue80HIM_CZQ
[-] The following 7 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, michaeltex, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:37 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Evan Sidery: DAL expected to move Lively to full time starter role next season. Gafford to move to the bench.

It was going to be inevitable, but I really dont care at this time.  I figure the tag team will be the same with minutes.  I do want Lively to finish most of the games.  Although if you view him as your third best player sooner or later it makes sense to start him.  For a 20 year old his leadership skills are already amazing
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • Arioch, audiosway, BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:37 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Evan Sidery: DAL expected to move Lively to full time starter role next season. Gafford to move to the bench.

Gafford 6MOY Season Loading
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Mavericks believe Dereck Lively has the potential to become an elite defensive anchor similar to Kevin Garnett or Joakim Noah, per @espn_macmahon (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/br...0660892043).

Dallas is expected to start Lively full-time next season with Daniel Gafford moving to a bench role.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply

You beat me to it!
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 08:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Mavericks believe Dereck Lively has the potential to become an elite defensive anchor similar to Kevin Garnett or Joakim Noah, per @espn_macmahon (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/br...0660892043).

Dallas is expected to start Lively full-time next season with Daniel Gafford moving to a bench role.

Gonna need him to become an elite defensive anchor to make up for a lot of defensive shortcomings in the starting lineup.
Like Reply

Two thoughts/questions....

Is the move to a starting role just reflective of Lively's defensive strength, or does the staff feel like he's bringing more to the table offensively? For example, will he be freed to step away from the basket to take shots and not just roll down for the lob?

Secondly, there is some interest in Lively's potential as a corner 3pt weapon. I have no problem with him exploiting that skill, provided it is a consistent result. But is Lively on the perimeter really what we want? Sure it maybe opens lanes for Luka/Kyrie, but doesn't that take him away from rebounding, especially offensive rebounds that were key to a lot of the post-TDL success last season?
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:04 AM)Dirknows Wrote: Gonna need him to become an elite defensive anchor to make up for a lot of defensive shortcomings in the starting lineup.

Exactly the same as they needed last year, and got post TDL when this team was a top defensive team down the stretch.  I don't think swapping DJJ for Klay in the starting lineup is going to cause a precipitous drop in their defensive capabilities.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:08 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Two thoughts/questions....

Is the move to a starting role just reflective of Lively's defensive strength, or does the staff feel like he's bringing more to the table offensively? For example, will he be freed to step away from the basket to take shots and not just roll down for the lob?

Secondly, there is some interest in Lively's potential as a corner 3pt weapon. I have no problem with him exploiting that skill, provided it is a consistent result. But is Lively on the perimeter really what we want? Sure it maybe opens lanes for Luka/Kyrie, but doesn't that take him away from rebounding, especially offensive rebounds that were key to a lot of the post-TDL success last season?

For me it will be matchup dependent. We know the Mavs can dominate with the traditional 4-1 offense but against teams like the Celtics they can use him in the 5-out style you’re describing. The sky is the limit for that kid. Adding a player like Klay will help with some of that motion style, 5-out offense also. It’s really just about being more versatile and having the ability to attack different matchups/teams.
Like Reply
There was a recent video by Jason at Hoops Tonight that discusses the new players and what may very well be a partially new offensive system designed to use KT more effectively. Killer posted this in another thread (link below). It's largely just projection, but it does make sense. This adaptation to ball movement would likely include more of Lively as well. The new additions in Grimes, KT, and Marshall, can all put the ball on the floor (which was not the game plan for DJJ, Hardaway, or Green). When you add Lively to the system outlined, you can create more movement to the offense (rather than sitting and waiting for a corner 3).

There's not been any official discussion from Kidd on how the new players would effect a system-wide offense, but it will be interesting to watch when the season starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GInsgTUhA&t=1300s

Also, Jason was of the opinion that acquiring Marshall and letting DJJ walk may have been intentional from the Mavs point of view once Klay became interested in actually leaving Golden State. It's strictly just opinion, but I think he has a point.
[-] The following 5 users Like Winter's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
Can someone explain how DJJ signed with LAC despite the agent kerfluffel? I'm sad to see him go, but looking forward to seeing how Marshall and Grimes integrate. Did he continue to use the old agency? Did he just represent himself? Are players required to have an agent or is it just the way it's done?
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:31 AM)Winter Wrote: There was a recent video by Jason at Hoops Tonight that discusses the new players and what may very well be a partially new offensive system designed to use KT more effectively. Killer posted this in another thread (link below). It's largely just projection, but it does make sense. This adaptation to ball movement would likely include more of Lively as well. The new additions in Grimes, KT, and Marshall, can all put the ball on the floor (which was not the game plan for DJJ, Hardaway, or Green). When you add Lively to the system outlined, you can create more movement to the offense (rather than sitting and waiting for a corner 3).

There's not been any official discussion from Kidd on how the new players would effect a system-wide offense, but it will be interesting to watch when the season starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GInsgTUhA&t=1300s

Also, Jason was of the opinion that acquiring Marshall and letting DJJ walk may have been intentional from the Mavs point of view once Klay became interested in actually leaving Golden State. It's strictly just opinion, but I think he has a point.

I am begging for the Mavs to add Post Splits as a piece of their offense.  The Warriors are famous for it and there’s plenty of video out there, JJ and LBJ talked at length about it back when they were podcasters and not boss (LBJ) and laborer (JJ).  

Just for a quick link watch some of this one:
https://youtu.be/nJZ0nsswx8s?si=44Bu89bBiB-YDK2Q

As you’re watching, make Lively or Gaff the screener and envision Kyrie or Klay coming off the screen.  Imagine whichever of Kyrie or Klay isn’t in the strong side action sitting above the break on the weak side.  PJ is in the weak corner, or anyone else from the Naji, Hardy, Exum, Maxi, Grimes crew.  

With all that in mind realize the scariest thing is that instead of Draymond or Kuminga or Looney in the post…it’s Luka Doncic.  

Now, defend that.
[-] The following 9 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • audiosway, ballsrchr, Halfnir, JaxRyder, KillerLeft, Mikelorenzo, SleepingHero, Smitty, Winter
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 10:23 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Can someone explain how DJJ signed with LAC despite the agent kerfluffel? I'm sad to see him go, but looking forward to seeing how Marshall and Grimes integrate. Did he continue to use the old agency? Did he just represent himself? Are players required to have an agent or is it just the way it's done?

Even in the original report from Cato, there were multiple options for how it could still get done:

Quote:On Sunday morning, one Mavericks source had shared optimism that this strange scenario, never before encountered, could have resolution as soon as Sunday. Jones could still negotiate his next contract through Turner, the president of Verus Management, who has represented him since entering the league. Jones and Turner could also reach a mutual agreement to waive the contractual waiting period, allowing Klutch to take him on as a client sooner.

Most likely his new and old agent reached some type of agreement on how to make it happen without having to wait the 15-days.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kidnova's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
The working theories on DJJ was (1) he was more interested in being a starter and left after it became evident Klay would take his place (2) The Mavs moved to acquire Marshall once they realized Klay was available (this is complicated to explain, but we posted a video by Jason Timpf in another thread that goes into some detail - strictly opinion).

It does not appear that the agent was entirely an issue as DJJ signed with the Clippers very quickly after Naji was signed.

Clearly there's quite a bit we don't know still. Hopefully this will flesh out in the coming days or weeks.
Like Reply