Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 3.65 Average
MAVS NEWS: DET Hires Dennis Lindsey as VP of Basketball Operations
Allen Iverson:

I mean, listen, we're talking about Powell, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about Powell.  Not the game, but we're talking about Powell, man.  I mean, how silly is that?
Like Reply
(06-18-2024, 09:02 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: While I want to find out Derrick White or Jrie Holiday.  I was thinking last night, it would be nice to  find out Al Horford.  Older guy who was once really good who may have been in the wrong spot but can still be good in the right situation.  Also may help off the court too.

Who are some candidates?

Interesting older guys for bench roles (and might not require more than vet min): Lowry, Batum, E.Gordon, the other Morris, Hayward. They wouldn't make us tones better, but they could provide some stability in the second unit. But, they will require minutes and it all depends a lot on what Mavs plans for Hardy and Omax are for next season
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-18-2024, 07:22 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So you think after 13 years of ignoring the draft, always signing washed up veterans and chasing soon to be washed-up stars that don´t want to play here, it was Cuban behind the strategic tank, the smart draft day actions, the signing of young veterans and acquiring of legit PF/Cs. That be a hell of a coincidence.

I am not sure how is this a reply to what I've said.
What I said is that :
1-what we have now is working.
2-Plenty of new owners want to prove their worth, and mess up the front office. 

So yes, if new ownership are like that, it can get worse than Cuban, and believe me there are far worse (and I dislike the guy). 

I would be cautiously optimistic, but I won't celebrate that Cuban is out now.
Like Reply
(06-18-2024, 08:07 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: I am not sure how is this a reply to what I've said.
What I said is that :
1-what we have now is working.
2-Plenty of new owners want to prove their worth, and mess up the front office. 

So yes, if new ownership are like that, it can get worse than Cuban, and believe me there are far worse (and I dislike the guy). 

I would be cautiously optimistic, but I won't celebrate that Cuban is out now.

I'd be ok with Nico being President of Basketball Operations, the Adelsons making sure the bills are paid, Luka blowing off Int'l games and O-Max coming off the bench for 15 minutes per game in 24-25.  
[-] The following 5 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • audiosway, ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(06-18-2024, 08:13 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: I'd be ok with Nico being President of Basketball Operations, the Adelsons making sure the bills are paid, Luka blowing off Int'l games and O-Max coming off the bench for 15 minutes per game in 24-25.  

I would be more than ok with all of that. I think O-Max has the chance to be a great role player.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
Like Reply
I know we love to give Nico and Lindsey the lion share of credit for the Mavs most recent trades, but I think this hire in 2021 was really the turning point of the Mavs starting to make financially smart moves.

https://basketball.realgm.com/staff/Andr...mary/16220

Not sure why it says 2023-24, as he was hired August of 2021. Same season Mavs cut bait on KP. Before the Mavs he was apart of Brooklyn's cap strategy team from 2016-2021 and before that was apart of the Spurs head office for 2 years. He's credited for making up the creative SnT Brooklyn created with D'Lo for KD in 2019.

That savvy cap strategy paired with Lyndsey/Nico/Finley's newfound focus on extracting maximum draft value through trades is to me a big reason why we've seen such creative trades the last 2 years.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • RGP1981, The Jom
Like Reply
[Image: GQYqAjkWMAA-YtT?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-18-2024, 08:13 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: I'd be ok with Nico being President of Basketball Operations, the Adelsons making sure the bills are paid, Luka blowing off Int'l games and O-Max coming off the bench for 15 minutes per game in 24-25.  

I would only demand first two and let Nico and Lindsey cook. Let them decide the rest.
Like Reply
(06-19-2024, 01:35 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: GQYqAjkWMAA-YtT?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

Not true. In his only Jordan-less post-season in 1994 Scottie Pippen led the Bulls in PTS, REBS, ASTS, STLS and BLKS for the entire postseason. Pretty sure KG did it one year in Minnesota, too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Halfnir
Like Reply
(06-19-2024, 06:10 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Not true. In his only Jordan-less post-season in 1994 Scottie Pippen led the Bulls in PTS, REBS, ASTS, STLS and BLKS for the entire postseason. Pretty sure KG did it one year in Minnesota, too.

Not about leading the team's stats, it's about leading all NBA's stats in the playoffs.
[-] The following 5 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-19-2024, 07:00 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Not about leading the team's stats, it's about leading all NBA's stats in the playoffs.

Not true either.

7th in scoring
9th in rebounding
4th in assists
2nd in steals

I guess now we enter the part, where it becomes totals rather than averages. Basically the person who did it was too stupid to write a single sentence that conveys the data a computer extracted for him/her correctly in a tweet. I guess ESPN.
Like Reply
Mavs Film Room (@MavsFilmRoom)
Nico Harrison will do a season-end media session on Friday, June 21 at 10 AM CT, Mavs announce
Like Reply
Would be nice if Cuban faded into the background like Homer Simpson into the bushes.
[-] The following 2 users Like speedkilz88's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I normally hate talking head shows like this, but I feel like this clip is worth watching, once you get past the mind-nunbingly stupid Chris Canty portion. 

Everyone involved in the conversation seems to "get it," especially Udonis Haslem, who is able to (in my opinion) boil the criticism of Luka down to what's fair and based in reality. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for Luka here, and even much benefit of the doubt that he will improve in the areas being discussed, but he points out (rightly, imo) that while immature frustrations with the officials and lack of defensive effort are problems that can and should be discussed, they are symptoms. The disease is conditioning. Luka must learn to compete against his opponents during the off-season. It's presented here as an obvious, matter-of-fact "this is something many young players have to learn" sort of way, and I think it's right on the money. Good watch, imo. I sure hope Jason Kidd, Kyrie, Luka's Father, etc, are all trying to help him to understand this, but the conclusion here (and one that I agree with) is that the best teacher might be the experience of getting dog-walked in the NBA finals. 

https://youtu.be/Y6T6yLVjHWU?si=T2nQ1lvLsr7IvsrF
Like Reply
@TheSteinLine
League sources say Dallas is intent on retaining Jared Dudley, who is a key figure on Jason Kidd's coaching staff. It's been known for some time, as reported in this May 27 piece, that the Lakers would want to pursue Dudley for a JJ Redick coaching staff: https://marcstein.s
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 03:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I normally hate talking head shows like this, but I feel like this clip is worth watching, once you get past the mind-nunbingly stupid Chris Canty portion. 

Everyone involved in the conversation seems to "get it," especially Udonis Haslem, who is able to (in my opinion) boil the criticism of Luka down to what's fair and based in reality. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for Luka here, and even much benefit of the doubt that he will improve in the areas being discussed, but he points out (rightly, imo) that while immature frustrations with the officials and lack of defensive effort are problems that can and should be discussed, they are symptoms. The disease is conditioning. Luka must learn to compete against his opponents during the off-season. It's presented here as an obvious, matter-of-fact "this is something many young players have to learn" sort of way, and I think it's right on the money. Good watch, imo. I sure hope Jason Kidd, Kyrie, Luka's Father, etc, are all trying to help him to understand this, but the conclusion here (and one that I agree with) is that the best teacher might be the experience of getting dog-walked in the NBA finals. 

With apologies and respect to our Slovenian board members...

I don't think Luka will address the fitness/conditioning concerns until he takes an off season to focus on improving himself physically. I know playing for the Slovenian team is important to him and his fellow citizens, but going from NBA playoffs to national team practice to friendlies to qualifiers to elimination tournaments doesn't give him more than a few weeks to train. Then the offseason is over and it's time for NBA preseason. He's been doing this since before he was drafted back in 2019. I know he's only 25, but there are a lot of miles on his body. Makes me tired just writing about it.

Apart from the physical improvement, I think it would help mentally to just have some downtime to get some perspective on what he wants to achieve and how he wants to get there. In a few years, he will be making roughly ~$1M per game, but he's got to keep producing to get that reward. Maybe having a family now will help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 04:43 PM)michaeltex Wrote: With apologies and respect to our Slovenian board members...

I don't think Luka will address the fitness/conditioning concerns until he takes an off season to focus on improving himself physically. I know playing for the Slovenian team is important to him and his fellow citizens, but going from NBA playoffs to national team practice to friendlies to qualifiers to elimination tournaments doesn't give him more than a few weeks to train. Then the offseason is over and it's time for NBA preseason. He's been doing this since before he was drafted back in 2019. I know he's only 25, but there are a lot of miles on his body. Makes me tired just writing about it.

Apart from the physical improvement, I think it would help mentally to just have some downtime to get some perspective on what he wants to achieve and how he wants to get there. In a few years, he will be making roughly ~$1M per game, but he's got to keep producing to get that reward. Maybe having a family now will help.

Two thoughts on this:

1) He actually neglected to answer questions about the Slovenian team activities this summer during his Game 5 postgame interview, saying some variations of "I've got some decisions to make." I think he's facing a potential minor surgery situation on that knee, and that there's an outside chance this will be the summer he doesn't participate, not by choice, but out of necessity. Just speculation on my part - it's early days on that stuff, obviously. I bet Omahen knows more about it. 

2) I think that for every summer prior to this Finals run it's arguable that the Slovenian team activities were a positive for him. I mean, there's an argument that playing year round prevents some recovery and focus on specific types of preventative conditioning, etc, but then again, I'm not sure I buy that Luka would've been using the time off for those things, anyway, so the Slovenian team might be responsible for keeping him from even worse conditioning? Just a thought. But at this point, I'm inclined to agree with you, moving forward. Although I get it from Slovenian fans' perspectives, too, especially since Omahen has explained the situation so well plenty of times.
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
ESPN Sources: The Detroit Pistons have permission to interview Dallas assistant Sean Sweeney and Minnesota assistant Micah Nori for newly vacant coaching job. Pistons are also planning to interview former Cleveland coach JB Bickerstaff, who'll be available to meet sooner than the rest.

Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
Sean Sweeney spent three seasons in Detroit before coming to Dallas as Jason Kidd’s right-hand man, helping Mavs make runs to West finals and Finals. Luka Doncic respects Sweeney so much that he recruited him to help coach the Slovenian national team.
Like Reply
[Image: GQaOPvUXYAA3eLZ?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 03:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I normally hate talking head shows like this, but I feel like this clip is worth watching, once you get past the mind-nunbingly stupid Chris Canty portion. 

While I agree with all of this, I think another thing that would make a difference is if he got a little more help during the regular season.  Next season's team should be a lot better than the pre TDL team, so hopefully we wont spend most of the season fighting to avoid the play in.  Another thing that would help is a legit backup point guard.  It doesn't have to be an 18 mil 6th man type, just somebody that can run the offense when necessary (particularly when one of Luka or Kyrie are out).  Something like Monte Morris for the BAE would make a big difference on his season long wear and tear.
Like Reply