Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Trade & FA 2024-25: Jazz May Like Ingram? Nets Want Okoro?
(07-10-2024, 12:46 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Depends on the outgoing and starting salary,  it possible.

Question is why do we want Trent Jr when we have Klay, Grimes, and Hardy?

Hardy replacement, scoring SG/SF.

Luka, Exum
Kyrie, Grimes
Klay, TrentJr
PJ, OMax
Lively, Gafford
Like Reply
(07-10-2024, 12:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Ignore the feasibility of this idea by the way, but purely as a thought experiment, if the Clippers come calling at the TDL next season and offer you Kawhi for pennies on the dollar (like cheapest package possible, no picks, etc.) do you want him?

So, you'd need to find $50m in salary to send out:

Maxi $11m
Gafford $14m
Powell $4m
Klay $17m
Grimes $4m

Or maybe:

Kyrie $40m
Maxi $11m

Actually, it would be even more we'd have to send out, since we need to sign minimum players to fill the vacant slots.

A hard no from me.

I like the team we've got.

...come to think of it, this little exercise underscores how little bad payroll Dallas has to send out. Masterful job by Nico.
[-] The following 5 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, Reunion Mav, rocky164, SleepingHero
Like Reply
@LawMurrayTheNU
League source confirms to
@TheAthletic
that the NBA will be resuming the investigation on Kevin Porter Jr., who has not faced league discipline despite sitting out 2023-24 season.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-10-2024, 01:36 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: So, you'd need to find $50m in salary to send out:

Maxi $11m
Gafford $14m
Powell $4m
Klay $17m
Grimes $4m

Or maybe:

Kyrie $40m
Maxi $11m

Actually, it would be even more we'd have to send out, since we need to sign minimum players to fill the vacant slots.

A hard no from me.

I like the team we've got.

...come to think of it, this little exercise underscores how little bad payroll Dallas has to send out.  Masterful job by Nico.

That's fair. I was trying to avoid the actual merits of the idea and instead try to gauge if Kawhi, the player only, is worth it still. 

I also would not do it. It's just silly contract wise.

But is Kawhi the player still worth all of his headaches and injuries?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-10-2024, 01:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's fair. I was trying to avoid the actual merits of the idea and instead try to gauge if Kawhi, the player only, is worth it still. 

Short answer is no, he's not worth the headaches and injuries because you can't depend on him. Hit talent is undeniable and out of this world on both ends. If he can't play when it matters, it isn't worth it imo.
Like Reply
(07-10-2024, 12:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Ignore the feasibility of this idea by the way, but purely as a thought experiment, if the Clippers come calling at the TDL next season and offer you Kawhi for pennies on the dollar (like cheapest package possible, no picks, etc.) do you want him?

No. He´s toast.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-10-2024, 01:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's fair. I was trying to avoid the actual merits of the idea and instead try to gauge if Kawhi, the player only, is worth it still. 

Yes.  Yes, he's worth all the headaches and injuries.

...on a vet min contract!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Let's leave Kyrie and Klay as our only ageing superstars.
Like Reply
Hardy can get buckets and I like that he isn't scared. Trying to envision how he fits though.

Lets say at the 6 minute mark of the 1st quarter Kyrie checks out and Grimes checks in.

Then beginning of 2nd quarter Luka checks out. Are Kyrie and Hardy too small to play together? Are they both shooting guards in point guard bodies? Do you want a better playmaker and defender next to Kyrie like Tyus Jones?
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(07-10-2024, 02:57 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Hardy can get buckets and I like that he isn't scared.  Trying to envision how he fits though.

Lets say at the 6 minute mark of the 1st quarter Kyrie checks out and Grimes checks in. 

Then beginning of 2nd quarter Luka checks out.  Are Kyrie and Hardy too small to play together?  Are they both shooting guards in point guard bodies?  Do you want a better playmaker and defender next to Kyrie like Tyus Jones?

Whenever we talk about minutes, few factor in injuries.  I like to view each position as having 4,000 minutes in a season.  Below is how many minutes our starters played last year.
                Gms       Mins       Total      Remain
Luka        70           38           2,625    -1,375
Kyrie        58           35           2,030    -1,970
Klay         77           30           2,287    -1,713
PJ            73           30           2,219    -1,781
Lively       55           24           1,293    -2,708

This leaves about 3,400 minutes for guards, 3,400 minutes for forwards, and 2,700 minutes at center.

If you take Hardy, Exum, and Grimes (only playing guard minutes) there's more than enough.
                Gms        Mins          Total
Hardy          73           14           993
Exum          55           20           1,089
Grimes        51           20           1,025

Forwards...
                Gms        Mins          Total
Naji             66           19           1,254
Omax          40            8               336
Maxi            43           20              873

We have a deficit for minutes at forward.
[-] The following 3 users Like Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RGP1981, WillE
Like Reply
(07-10-2024, 12:56 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://x.com/hoopshype/status/1811023291466867157

Klay Thompson has taken the biggest haircut this season.

That’s actually pretty funny! Big Grin
Like Reply
John Hollinger fake trade idea. Not going to happen but admire the creativity.

First: Philadelphia acquires Markkanen by sign-and-trading Kenyon Martin Jr. on a three-year max deal, with only the first year guaranteed, and adding Ricky Council IV and four firsts (one unprotected from the LA Clippers in 2028, one in 2026 that is likely Oklahoma City’s, their own unprotected in 2029 or first year available and their own unprotected in 2031 if available); that keeps the Sixers just under the second apron, and they can do this wacky contract because Martin has full Bird rights and hasn’t signed yet.
Like Reply
van Sidery (@esidery)
Landry Shamet returning to the Wizards at a smaller figure than his $11 million team option remains in play, per league source.

The Bucks, Heat, Knicks and Timberwolves have expressed interest in signing Shamet.
Like Reply
(07-10-2024, 04:56 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Whenever we talk about minutes, few factor in injuries.  I like to view each position as having 4,000 minutes in a season.  Below is how many minutes our starters played last year.
                Gms       Mins       Total      Remain
Luka        70           38           2,625    -1,375
Kyrie        58           35           2,030    -1,970
Klay         77           30           2,287    -1,713
PJ            73           30           2,219    -1,781
Lively       55           24           1,293    -2,708

This leaves about 3,400 minutes for guards, 3,400 minutes for forwards, and 2,700 minutes at center.

If you take Hardy, Exum, and Grimes (only playing guard minutes) there's more than enough.
                Gms        Mins          Total
Hardy          73           14           993
Exum          55           20           1,089
Grimes        51           20           1,025

Forwards...
                Gms        Mins          Total
Naji             66           19           1,254
Omax          40            8               336
Maxi            43           20              873

We have a deficit for minutes at forward.

Very nice breakdown!

A couple of comments/questions...

Need to include Gafford's minutes as I view he and DLive as a two-headed center, at least to start this season.

Can we make an assumption yet that Omax gets more burn? more minutes and for more games? 8 minutes in half the games isn't going to grow his skills. Aren't we hoping for him to take a step up this year?

I want to say Maxi's usage will increase, but I waver on that. He's had some weird injuries the last few years, and I don't know if it's age related or just bad luck.

The team want's to dial back Luka's minutes a bit. Does anyone have an idea of what that means? What about Kyrie's minutes?

Can we make the case that some of Luka's minutes will be played as a PF? at least on defense?
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-11-2024, 09:33 AM)michaeltex Wrote: The team want's to dial back Luka's minutes a bit. Does anyone have an idea of what that means? What about Kyrie's minutes?

Can we make the case that some of Luka's minutes will be played as a PF? at least on defense?

To be fair, the Mavs never said they want to dial back either Luka's or Kyrie minutes. Obviously they should, as playing nearly 40mpg every game is just asking for problems. But I wouldn't be surprised if Kidd kept Luka at 35-36 mins (instead of 38). 

I don't think there will be a drastic reduction in his minutes at all.
Like Reply
Why is Spencer not signed????
Like Reply
(07-11-2024, 02:55 PM)Deebo Wrote: Why is Spencer not signed????

He's probably trying to find a team that will be able to give him max minutes.  If he's going to end up taking vet min, then there's no reason for him to rush.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
The Miami Heat tried to acquire DeMar DeRozan, but no team wanted Duncan Robinson's contract, per
@BobbyMarks42

Miami also missed out on Tyus Jones.

(h/t @ohnohedidnt24 )
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BPo001, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(07-11-2024, 02:56 PM)Kidnova Wrote: He's probably trying to find a team that will be able to give him max minutes.  If he's going to end up taking vet min, then there's no reason for him to rush.

This, and possibly it's just a mater of all the guys who're worth more than the minimum being ahead of him in the pecking order. If team A misses out on guard X, they'll be interested in Dinwiddie, etc. 

Lowry, Fultz and others are still out there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Kidnova
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
The Lakers are showing interest in Wendell Carter Jr., per
@SeanDeveney
Like Reply