Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Trade & FA 2024-25: WAS Working SnT Options for Tyus Jones
(07-05-2024, 02:56 PM)DL2RimRocker Wrote: I think we need more scoring from the bench and Dinwiddie can do that more than DSJ. We have Exum and Grimes who can guard the perimeter but bench scoring is still a need imo.

We have already added scoring to the bench. Other than the first and last 5 minutes I expect them to stagger Luka/Kyrie/Klay which adds plenty offense to second unit. 

That being said, Din would make a ton of sense if he was willing to play that limited role.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 01:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The thing I keep coming back to when I look at the roster is that the Mavs are going into the year with three potential free agents, all expected to be in the rotation (at the least the regular season rotation), and are already a tax team at the first Apron. Also, if Kyrie has another good year he will absolutely want to negotiate a new deal, and can opt of his last year, I believe. Neither the Mavs nor Kyrie will want him playing on a one-year expiring the season after this one - that player option is basically just there to protect him from injury. They have probably already started thinking about an extension.

Add that all up, and there is a 0% chance that Exum, Hardy AND Grimes are all Mavericks after this season, imo. It might even be too much to hope to keep two of them. Surely, they see this situation coming. The question is, what will they do about it? If Hardy is not in your plans, as in basically guaranteed a fairly juicy rotation role (I hope he is, I think he's ready to contribute), then I think keeping him here after the deadline, or possibly even to start the season, would be a pretty big mistake. He's not some insanely hot asset or anything, but he is more valuable than he will be at the deadline if he's not playing, and teams no longer get the full season to look at him with their rosters before deciding how much they can pay in a rookie extension.

Kind of the same situation with Grimes, only Dallas is the team who's planning to use the full season "to look at him with their roster before deciding how much they can pay in an extension"...or, if they even want to keep him.

I suppose Exum is cheap and easy come, easy go. Out of all of them, I can see him as someone they'd be comfortable just walking away for nothing, and I could also see him being the most likely to accept a very team-friendly deal to return.

I'd bet they're thinking about this stuff totally differently than we are.

I agree with most of this. I think Grimes will end up being the one kept. I could see Exum sticking around on a small contract. I think Hardy is likely to be gone. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved at the TDL. Not sure that I see him as a long term fit necessarily and he will likely require more than the Mavs are willing to pay at this moment. I could be wrong but we'll see.

Grimes, however, is the perfect type of player to fit with Luka and this team. I think he's a fan favorite before January.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 3 users Like audiosway's post:
  • RGP1981, Smitty, Winter
Like Reply
EDIT: Second warning for being needlessly condescending in dealing with others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 03:28 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Oooooohhh, now he gets it, finally, lol. This is why you all should not have scoffed at the Kyrie-Dejounte swaps I kept proposing. There'd be no difference in the on-court impact to the team if Mavs had gone with Dejounte... but now y'alls balls are going to be squeezed hard by a 33 year old who still can't get over the Celtics... all while the Celtics (and OKC) are going to be the biggest rivals for a title in the next few years (until its Wemby's turn to win, and the Spurs won't waste as many years of "his turn to win" like the Mavs have done with Luka)... and while Dejounte is locked up at $28m, $30m and $32m for this upcoming season as well as the next two. $30M vs $45M? That's a lot of wiggle room. Wiggle Room is the new NBA buzzword, or should have been months ago, lol. #wigglewiggle

Literally nobody wants to trade Kyrie for Murray. Literally nobody thinks they are equal players either. Not interested at all in the move.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • Jmaciscool, mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
Golden State has a 'heavily pick-based' offer on the table for Lauri Markkanen, per @Tjonesonthenba

"Golden State has an offer on the table and it's substantial [for Lauri Markkanen]. I think offers are heavily pick-based... What complicates it is the Warriors only have two unprotected picks, plus a protected first rounder."

(Via
@957thegame
)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 03:38 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Literally nobody wants to trade Kyrie for Murray. Literally nobody thinks they are equal players either. Not interested at all in the move.

Literally nobody is saying they're equal players though. Kyrie is way more creative on offense. Dejounte is way better on defense. Yet, Dejounte probably would have scored the same amount (or more) as Kyrie did in the playoffs, while having a bigger impact on defense (opposing teams would only be able to target Luka, instead of Luka + Kyrie), and would have allowed for a more offensive SG than DJJ to be played alongside him.

That's before coming to Dejounte being younger, on a lower salary, and tied up to a longer contract. #wigglewiggle

Anyway, there's no point talking about Dejounte now since he's at the Pels.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 04:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @TheDunkCentral
Golden State has a 'heavily pick-based' offer on the table for Lauri Markkanen, per @Tjonesonthenba

"Golden State has an offer on the table and it's substantial [for Lauri Markkanen]. I think offers are heavily pick-based... What complicates it is the Warriors only have two unprotected picks, plus a protected first rounder."

(Via
@957thegame
)

If this is true, Ainge should take it. The assets you'll get for Markkannen are never going to get better than unprotected GS picks from a future time when the Warriors are very likely to be one of the worst teams in the league.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 03:38 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Literally nobody wants to trade Kyrie for Murray. Literally nobody thinks they are equal players either. Not interested at all in the move.

It's so funny to me he consistently is trying to break up the team that is 3 weeks off of a finals appearance and dominated the West for literally no reason for a player who is objectively worse.

He was spouting the same nonsense about Murray in January and how this Maverick team is closer to the lottery than a championship.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 04:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's so funny to me he consistently is trying to break up the team that is 3 weeks off of a finals appearance and dominated the West for literally no reason for a player who is objectively worse.

He was spouting the same nonsense about Murray in January and how this Maverick team is closer to the lottery than a championship.

Yes, it’s a shame anybody responds to him at all.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 04:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If this is true, Ainge should take it. The assets you'll get for Markkannen are never going to get better than unprotected GS picks from a future time when the Warriors are very likely to be one of the worst teams in the league.

I think GSW plan is to trade Moody+Podz for picks, and then offer a godfather offer to Utah with those picks on top of their own+Wiggins

Steph/GPII
Melton/Buddy
Kuminga/
Lauri/Anderson
Green/Looney/Trace Jackson Davis

They'd be a little thin at the SF position but there are still guys available who could see the chance at playing big minutes like DeRozan (unlikely), Cedi Osman, Caleb Martin, Doug McDermott, or Jae Crowder.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 04:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's so funny to me he consistently is trying to break up the team that is 3 weeks off of a finals appearance and dominated the West for literally no reason for a player who is objectively worse.

Not trying to break anything up, friend, just want to see y'all get better for longer.

And yes, this Mavericks team was closer to the lottery than a championship in January, before they made the trades for PJW and Gafford, 2 trades that I liked too, and that turned your season around 180 degrees... so my rants before those 2 trades were completely justified. Seriously, how could anyone even think that Grant Williams could work as the PF next to Luka? It was ridiculous, bordering on nonsensical.

I've also been banging the drum for Quentin Grimes since January btw... well, before most of you.

Anyway, my thought behind swapping Kyrie for Dejounte was always about the bigger picture and wiggle room. The CBA has been out for people to read for quite sometime now, hasn't it? #wigglewiggle
Like Reply
swapping Kyrie for Murry or someone else might make some sense in January when we looked no better than a play-in team, but there's no need now to consider any drastic adjustments to a group that worked so well late in the regular season and playoffs, with good chemistry, and I think that's the exact point Nico wanted to deliver with his 7-8 rotation announcement. by far the only rotation guy we actively moved is green, he was arguably the 7-10th guy in our rotation depending on his form and he also missed quite a number of games late in the season.
Like Reply
Out of those guards that have been mentioned, it's all about Kyle Lowry for me...if he's interested (which we haven't heard any indication). He's a proven champion and Kidd would trust him. Also he's still a good shooter and can fit this offense as a floor spacer. Whoever they sign probably won't be in the rotation every game so it basically comes down to being that 2022 Trey Burke "Break-In-Case-Of-An-Emergency" role. I think Lowry can go in and contribute to some games when called upon.
[-] The following 6 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • ballsrchr, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, Jym, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 05:08 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Out of those guards that have been mentioned, it's all about Kyle Lowry for me...if he's interested (which we haven't heard any indication). He's a proven champion and Kidd would trust him. Also he's still a good shooter and can fit this offense as a floor spacer. Whoever they sign probably won't be in the rotation every game so it basically comes down to being that 2022 Trey Burke "Break-In-Case-Of-An-Emergency" role. I think Lowry can go in and contribute to some games when called upon.

He’s the best option off of the scrap pile for me, too, and I agree whomever they choose won’t play every game.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
[Image: 1809304142248309241_0.jpg?ex=6689ca10&is...eight=1512]

Stein on the intricacies of a Lauri trade and why it's probably now or never to trade for him.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 05:08 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Out of those guards that have been mentioned, it's all about Kyle Lowry for me...if he's interested (which we haven't heard any indication). He's a proven champion and Kidd would trust him. Also he's still a good shooter and can fit this offense as a floor spacer. Whoever they sign probably won't be in the rotation every game so it basically comes down to being that 2022 Trey Burke "Break-In-Case-Of-An-Emergency" role. I think Lowry can go in and contribute to some games when called upon.

+1

I was out on Lowry a few years ago when everyone here seemed to want him I made multiple posts that Brunson was on the same trajectory and I didn’t want to stunt his growth. But now, he’d be a great addition and probably accept the role of several DNP-CD but provide some positive play when called upon. I don’t know if I can say the same for Dinwiddie and/or DSJ who may become disgruntled in that role.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 11:32 AM)F Gump Wrote:  
Can't wait forever, and they are really at a crossroads now.  Right now his payroll cost is minimum salary, but next summer there will be teams competing. Do we even have something that can be more than a 3rd string chucker? I still dunno.

But I sure don't want to be forced to pay him a lot of money to be what he is. Not sure if I am seeing progress on the huge holes in his game. If so, it seems small.

So do you move him (like NY and DET did with Grimes) so that you might get a little something and not have to deal with the situation (and either a cap hit, or he's gone for nothing) next summer? Do you offer an extension?

I don't think you extend Hardy unless he produces more.  Really don't like him at the point, but the kid can score.  I'd like to see him off the ball more.
Like Reply

+2, or 3, or whatever it is...

Alright.  I've come around now to Kyle Lowry--instead of Dinwiddie or DSJ.  I don't think he would become disgruntled with a limited role...and would contribute when called on.  

So...I guess we can pull the trigger...
[-] The following 3 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
I just don't think Lowry has anything left in the tank.
Like Reply
(07-05-2024, 09:32 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: I just don't think Lowry has anything left in the tank.

Maybe as a starter or even 2nd guard off the bench. But as a 3rd stringer playing once a week if needed? I think he could thrive in that role.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, Smitty
Like Reply